The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-23 13:47:55

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Wolf Lake

So...After school today I decided to check out what all was on tv after I got out of school today and on the sci fi channel I came across a show called Wolf Lake. So far I think it's pretty good.

Has anyone else ever heard of it or seen it?

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown
Apart, we are broken. Together, we are one.
Oh yeah...did I forget to mention that I'm unhealthily obsessed with bunnies?

#2 2008-09-23 19:51:40

punxnotdead

Re: Wolf Lake

Yep, I watched it about a year ago. I think the movie was made a few years ago, but it got cancelled mid-season due to lack of interest. I enjoyed aspects of it, but I felt as though it was all over the place. If they want to make a good werewolf-based television show, they need the budget, to reel in interest, and make the plot coherent, which they did not.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#3 2008-09-23 21:23:14

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Yeah. I kinda' started to notice that after the second to third episode.

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown
Apart, we are broken. Together, we are one.
Oh yeah...did I forget to mention that I'm unhealthily obsessed with bunnies?

#4 2008-09-23 21:41:29

WolfMontana

I started watching those online a while back, thanks to these boards. And weirdly enough started to dig again yesterday. The few episodes I've watched have been great fun. I love the community of werewolves idea, makes me think of Gary's Howling books, and I was always intrigued by Grahame Green's character.

Also, although I'm not sure if you've seen it so I'll use SPOILER!!!!! ALLEEEERRRTT!!!!

(doesanyoneelsereckonthatthehumandetectivemightbeawerewolfnowwhatwithhavinghadabloodtransfusionfromhiswerewolfladylove??)

That has me even more intrigued, but it's the hopeless, dammit-crap-they're-not-making-anymore-so-I'll-never-find-out kind of intrigue.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#5 2008-09-24 21:01:05

punxnotdead

Yeah, I still liked the show and would have stuck with it, but It unexpectedly ended.
Will there be any werewolf television shows coming out? Ever?

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#6 2008-10-08 11:34:30

Poncho
Stole your Duvet
Website

I never got to see it, but there's gotta be TV series soon, there's just gotta. Vampire series seem to be dime a dozen at the moment and they are mostly the same stuff over and over again and still get financed. Seems only fair to me.

"Some thoughts are less when spoken and some spoken words are less than the thought used behind it." Poncho 2009

#7 2008-10-08 22:16:44

WolfMontana

I hope it gets repeated more frequently on Sci Fi.

It's easy to see why so many vampire shows get made as opposed to werewolf shows. Stick some fangs in a person, they're a vampire. You don't have to hire a monster designer, you don't have to hire a wolf wrangler. Most hollywood vampires are 'sexah', most hollywood werewolves are hairy, shaggy, slavering beasties. Not much seduction involved in your disembowling, ribs snapping, throat tearing werewolf encounter these days.

It's a PITY!

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#8 2008-10-16 12:06:36

something-wild
Website

i only really liked the one where the girl went through her first change, that was quite cool.

Last edited by something-wild (2008-10-16 12:07:49)

#9 2008-10-16 12:09:43

something-wild
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

I hope it gets repeated more frequently on Sci Fi.

It's easy to see why so many vampire shows get made as opposed to werewolf shows. Stick some fangs in a person, they're a vampire. You don't have to hire a monster designer, you don't have to hire a wolf wrangler. Most hollywood vampires are 'sexah', most hollywood werewolves are hairy, shaggy, slavering beasties. Not much seduction involved in your disembowling, ribs snapping, throat tearing werewolf encounter these days.

It's a PITY!

it also annoys me that most werewolves are male :grrrrrrr:

#10 2008-10-16 12:18:09

Daninsky
Website

*Stops Wolf Girl*

I just that hairy men are more sexy wink

*Continues ogling hairy Victoria Sanchez (oh please, get you mind out of the gutter)*

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#11 2009-03-12 13:17:40

ArcLight
Website

There's a marathon on Chiller tomorrow (Friday the 13th!).

They just added the channel to my cable system a few weeks back so who knows, you might have it and not know it yet.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#12 2009-05-16 17:04:29

Lil Wolf
Website

Yeah, I found this show a few months back when the Sci-Fi channel was doing a bunch of marathons, I think.  I only saw a few episodes, but I really liked it.  For once, a TV show that had werewolves in it had the werewolves portrayed as actual wolves, and they weren't complete blood thirsty beats that ran around. 

I think that they are putting those episodes on DVD.  Is that really true, guys?  Or does anyone know where I can find it only to watch it?  I've looked all over, but they don't seem to have it.  (I know that Hulu or Fancast don't have it where you can watch it).

The One who runs under the Full Moon

#13 2009-05-16 17:15:56

fearless freak

they used to show it late at night overe here in england, i caught a couple of episodes, i'm trying to find it on dvd

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

#14 2009-05-18 22:03:54

alphanubilus

Wolf Lake debuted late September 2001, and had a small break time, due to the Sept. 11th attack, and then started to aire again in Mid October. The feature had an all star cast, including Lou Diamond Philips (no wonder it was doomed), Graham Green, just to name a few. The show was produced by the same folks who brought us the X-Files and while it was suppose to give young adults a more edgy tv series (sporting young actors naked in some scenes), it fell flat on its wolfen face.

The largest issue with Wolf Lake is its primary plot involving Detective John Cannin's search for his long lost love, Ruby Caits, of whom is a... WEREWOLF! You are introduced to the star crossed lovers and it isn't too long before Ruby is kidnapped by Alpha Wolf to by, Tyler and his wolfy goons. John becomes obsessed with finding Ruby, loses his job, and eventaully traces his missing girl's paw prints to the lovely town of Wolf Lake. While the generic plot starts out pretty strong, you soon find yourself more interested in the secondary characters side stories, such as the relationship between the Sheriff's pre-werewolf daughter and Lukas, the strong willed son of the Alpha Wolf. Graham Green plays the wise and mysterious Native American "shaman" type character who keeps the order the and the lore of Wolf Lake. In short you LOVE the side characters, but you soon grow to detest Cannin, and I guess the writers did too, as they completely ignore the core part of the story for a large bredth of the series.

I begin to understand WHY John Cannin was fired. He really SUCKS as a detective. The whole town SCREAMS werewolfville, and yet he can't figure out what is going on. I honestly don't see how these werewolves keep their secret, with blantant shifts, werewolfry tid bits sprinkled everywhere, and yet a detective, who is suppose to be the best in the business, can't put two and two together.

The issue with the John Cannin plot device is bad because YOU as the audiance already know that the town is full of werewolves, so he keeps bogging down the plot as he tries to catch up with what you already know, so everything he does becomes redundant. The series brings up a lot of questions but never once answers them... and it isn't in a good "LOST" way. They give you a question that needs to be answered and then change the subject.

The series came to a very anti-climatic end when a crazed "werewolf hunter geek" captures Cannin, believing that HE is the alpha wolf (due to a mischevious Green) and transfuses him with wolf blood from his girl friend, while in wolf form... Okay... if sharing bodily fluids = Werewolf, wouldn't Cannin been experiencing werewolfism a LONG time ago, as Ruby and he had SEX! I'm sure he's already tasted her blood per say... UGH...

That is the whole issue of Wolf Lake... they have a lot of great ideas without a proper execution.

#15 2009-08-10 17:51:05

The Busboy
Administrator

From another forum topic that was deleted (since this one already existed):

Kat Garoux wrote:

hi i was browsing you tube and came across a tv show or series call "wolf lake"
thing was (i don't know if it was just because it couldn't be bothered watching all episodes) there didn't seem to be many wolf scenes

i was wondering if anyone has seen this show & is it any good?

xxx

Mymloch wrote:

I know of it and have watched a few clips that looked intriguing.  I am holding off on watching it though until it is released on DVD.

fearless freak wrote:

it was cancelled halfway through its first season

WereWolfH wrote:

yeah it wasn't that great. The lead guy from VAmpire Diaries is the teen wolf.

Hey check out the main post for this (it's probably on page 2 or 3 of Werewolf Movies and Tv shows)

WolfMontana wrote:

There's another thread relating to Wolf Lake here:

http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic.php?id=3642

Great show actually, wish they'd finished the first season. I wanted to see if the cop got turned into a werewolf from having the blood transfusion.

Kat Garoux wrote:

thank you for the link wolfMontana
it sounds really good
does anyone know where i can see the episodes?

fearless freak wrote:

try youtube

WolfMontana wrote:

A while ago I found them on Veoh (www.veoh.com). I'm not sure if they're still available like they were though. smile

Board footer