The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-10 01:32:21

punxnotdead

Aspiring Writers

Here's a forum to jot or explain to aspiring writers (or those who wish to delve into writing) to explain tips in which make them better writers. What unique methods do you have to writing a full length novel? Are there any helpful suggestions you can give?

As for my helpful advice, I:
1. For descriptions, I imagine the scene in my mind like a movie. I describe every sound, smell and sight and emotion to allow readers to  become engrossed in your stories.
Make sure you don't rush your story. That's the wost thing one can do to deter potential readers.

2. Before you begin to write the full length of the novel, make sure you at least have a brief outline to prevent writer's blocks. It can be changed at any time, however, but it acts as a nice safety line.

3. On a seperate piece of paper, keep notes of all of your characters and their physical appearances, personalities and descriptions of certain frequently used surroundings...ie) A swaying meadow

4. When beginning your story, always provide a clincher. This allows the reader to become engaged in your story.

5. Create strong conflict. Don't make it so situations that the main character faces can be easily resolved. He/she should have to fight to resolve the initial conflict.

6. Do not create unnecessary segments of plot that do not somehow or somewhere fit in with the rest of the main plot.

There, that's all I have for now. If any of you have anything to add, feel free to do so smile

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#2 2008-08-10 19:04:37

LoupGarouAngel
Website

Re: Aspiring Writers

Here is a few things I use....

1)Talk to other people, bouncing ideas around with other creative minds can really get you pumped and ready to write with an even better idea in your mind.

2)Flow is flow, you want the story to be smooth, like breathing, the reader shouldn't be jolted around, unless that is the mood you're setting.

3)Mood and emotion are just as impotant in the story as the characters and setting, without them your story can be rather flat. You wnat the reader to FEEL what the characters are feeling, make them angry, make them smile or make them cry, either way, make them feel!

4)Have fun, if you're not having fun, you're writing will show it. If you feel a story is stressing you for some reason, take a break, go do something else you enjoy until you feel refreshed and reknewed.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#3 2008-08-12 04:06:32

milana
Website

Excellent idea!

Here's mine:

1. When creating characters, take a moment to let the character talk to you, instead of just assuming what/who they are. Writing is giving a character a voice, so be sure to listen to it yourself!

2. Never be afraid to take a break. If you don't have a deadline, then take your time with your story. Rushing a book especially can cause plot holes, lack of character development, and stuff as simple as bad grammar.

3. Having difficulty with a scene? Act it out. Yes, that's right, shut your bedroom door, turn on some music to drown yourself out, and act the parts of the characters. Even better, do this with fight scenes. If you are having difficulty with a particular move while acting it out, odds are your character will have difficulty with it. This can help you keep unbelievable moves out of your fight scenes.

4. Never be afraid to change the direction of your story or a character. Sometimes, they want to do something that you don't want them to do. Take a moment to consider the idea, though, don't just throw it out. Especially when it involves romance. If a character keeps leaning toward someone else, odds are they're not meant for the person you put them with.

There's nothing that can't be cured by chocolate. Unless you're craving calamari.

My Triond.

#4 2008-08-12 13:16:00

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Here's a few more:

1. Research can be vitally important. Acting out the roles or playing the scene through your mind are definitely types of research, and very helpful as well. But also research the creatures, geographical areas, or professions prevalent in your story to get a better idea of how to write them. Look up what kind of characteristics and lore would best fit your story. Does it happen in a forest? Then go to a forest and get a feel for the environment; take some notes while you're there. Does it happen in a farmhouse? Go find some farmhouses to look at. Are there police officers? See if you can pass a scenario by a representative at your local precinct to get a feel for how they'd react. Do some interviews, if possible. You could also use documentaries as a reference, but there's nothing like the real thing to inspire aspiring writers.

NOTE: this also goes along with another tip I've heard: you do your best when you write what you know. So, get to know what you're writing about.

2. Story is King. Without a good story behind the action and plot, there's not much of a body to your creation. Re-hash other ideas if you need to, but find a way to make your story original and unique - and I'm not talking about a single premise or characteristic, but the story itself.

3. Read other works in the genre. They may inspire you, and give you insight on what detail to pay attention to in your own story. Other writings from other writers could also give you ideas on how to improve or adjust your own writing stile, if needed. But whatever you do, avoid the plagiarism monster at all costs.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#5 2008-08-13 02:19:03

punxnotdead

Grayle wrote:

Here's a few more:

1. Research can be vitally important. Acting out the roles or playing the scene through your mind are definitely types of research, and very helpful as well. But also research the creatures, geographical areas, or professions prevalent in your story to get a better idea of how to write them. Look up what kind of characteristics and lore would best fit your story. Does it happen in a forest? Then go to a forest and get a feel for the environment; take some notes while you're there. Does it happen in a farmhouse? Go find some farmhouses to look at. Are there police officers? See if you can pass a scenario by a representative at your local precinct to get a feel for how they'd react. Do some interviews, if possible. You could also use documentaries as a reference, but there's nothing like the real thing to inspire aspiring writers.

NOTE: this also goes along with another tip I've heard: you do your best when you write what you know. So, get to know what you're writing about.

2. Story is King. Without a good story behind the action and plot, there's not much of a body to your creation. Re-hash other ideas if you need to, but find a way to make your story original and unique - and I'm not talking about a single premise or characteristic, but the story itself.

3. Read other works in the genre. They may inspire you, and give you insight on what detail to pay attention to in your own story. Other writings from other writers could also give you ideas on how to improve or adjust your own writing stile, if needed. But whatever you do, avoid the plagiarism monster at all costs.

The one thing that really gets me is my research. I keep procrastonating, but I notice it makes my story less believable.
And all of you have brought up terriffic points that will most likely help aspiring writers.
Thank you for the input and if you have anything more to add, feel free to at any time. smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#6 2008-08-13 02:38:30

WritingWulf

milana wrote:

Writing is giving a character a voice, so be sure to listen to it yourself!.

T-T When did I sign up for this job?

Ok guys, here is the biggest two in my book! You ready?...Here it comes!

1.) Have fun

2.) Have passion in your work, and keep it flowing. If you ever feel like you've messed up, dun worry. It's a first draft. You are NOT going to write the whole thing in one night, trust me. Just take your time, and let it flow.

#7 2008-08-13 18:25:24

milana
Website

WritingWulf wrote:

milana wrote:

Writing is giving a character a voice, so be sure to listen to it yourself!.

T-T When did I sign up for this job?

lol, Always thinking it's about you, aren't ya? tongue

Oh, another:

Don't worry about schematics like spelling and grammar with your first draft. When you're flowing you don't want to interrupt that to keep fixing words. The first draft isn't final, and it shouldn't be for that matter, so rest assured you can come back to fix the little things like spelling.

There's nothing that can't be cured by chocolate. Unless you're craving calamari.

My Triond.

#8 2008-08-14 13:36:20

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I agree with you, Milana - if you're on a roll, roll with it. Keep that creative rhythm going as long as you can whenever you get it.

However, I'd also like to encourage everyone to proofread before posting it on the Werewolf Cafe for others to read. Poor spelling or grammar has a tendency to distract the reader from appreciating your work. You can use a word processor or an extra pair of eyes to fix most of the spelling or grammar errors, and then post your work.
  I realize that Milana was talking about the proclivity of proofreading while in the process of writing the first draft, and again, I totally agree with her point. I just wanted to bring out this other related point for... I don't know... posterity or something.

#9 2008-09-18 21:59:28

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

I think an important thing to realize is that, once something is written, it's NOT set in stone.  You shouldn't feel that, just because you've had a great idea, it simply MUST be in your story.  Even the greatest ideas sometimes don't fit in very well.

If you've written yourself into a corner, as it were, don't muddle through it just to finish your story.  As painful as it may be, you should never be afraid to throw out half of what you've written and do it all again.

But under NO circumstances should you delete, destroy, or otherwise trash what you've written.  Keep it, you might be able to go back to it and make those ideas, plots, or characters work in another way, for some other project.  Writing is all about experience, if it's life experiences, or even simple experience of physically writing, and you never know what's going to come in handy.

I'm personally a fan of longhand.  Writing by hand gives you time to evaluate and reconsider what you're doing, and you can end up with a much better, stronger, and altogether more fluid end product.  Plus, I'm on a crusade to save the hand-written word since I learned that my younger brother was never taught penmanship and can barely read cursive writing.

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#10 2008-09-18 22:07:22

punxnotdead

Very good hints, Niktoma!
I need to keep in mind about not throwing my work away. I have a foolish habit of doing that. I didn't even consider that. hmm

I'm not at all good at reading hand writing. My teacher wonders why I squint at the board when she writes notes. I'm horrible for that.
I'll keep those in mind and thank you for your insight.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#11 2008-09-22 17:30:34

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I thought I might transfer this over here. This is a few tips for posting your stories here in the Stories and Poetry Area. Although it isn't about writing in general, it does help with gaining feedback and keeping our little writing community intact.   

As you continue your posts, just a few friendly words of advice:

1. We encourage any writer that posts to read other stories on here as well. We're all here to get feedback, so it's only fair that if you wish feedback on your story, try to give some out as well. Also, other stories can give you ideas on improving vocabulary, sentence/paragraph structure, or maybe even ideas on where to continue your story (Just be careful with that last one - no plagiarisms allowed around here!).

2. Longer posts tend to be intimidating to many readers. Try to keep your segments equivalent to around one page or so using Microsoft Word - depending on the circumstances, of course. You can figure it to be around 700 words, give or take. For many of our visitours, it proves to be less daunting to read shorter posts than lengthy ones, increasing your odds for feedback.

3. Use multiple paragraphs and indentations when you can, not just one huge block of text. It's easier to follow and keep track. Skip a line between paragraphs, and skip two or three lines for time lapses or segment separations. If you prefer, try to indent your paragraphs with 2 spaces or so.

4. Ask, Ask, Ask. If you have any questions, ask. If you want feedback from a specific writer, ask him/her. You can ask them on their Personal Forums, or you can contact a specific writer with a PM, email, or even in one of their story topics if they don't mind.

5. There are a whole lot of stories being updated regularly here in the Stories area, and it's difficult to keep up with all of them. This makes requesting feedback from specific writers even more important, as they may have missed your post or are falling behind.

6. As a request from many of our regulars, please try to use proper grammar and spelling. It can be essential in order for others to read your story coherently and with minimal confusion. Try to write your stories as you like to read them. Most word processors will give helpful hints and spell-checkers, and even Web browsers like Firefox will point out questionable spellings before you finalize your post.

7. If you aren't getting the replies you want, keep going with your writing anyway. Don't worry if you're not getting expected replies on your recent posts - if the number of views is increasing, it's very likely you are being noticed. People lead busy lives and they often don't have the time to make regular replies. However, if you find yourself missing feedback from a certain regular or fellow writer, see suggestions 4 and 5 above for helpful tips in this regard.

Nose to the Wind, Everybody!

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-22 17:31:07)

#12 2008-09-22 21:27:50

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

I love that list, Grayle.

I also love "Nose the the Wind".  I think I might use it at work.

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#13 2008-10-06 23:02:10

Terrabus

When I write a story, I focus on character.  Character is destiny.  I know as much as I can about this person. 

One thing I've learned from my favorite writers is to always show your character's warts.  Nobody believes in Mr. Perfect the be-all of end-all.  Maybe Mr. Perfect has a betting problem or pill addiction.  Maybe Mr. Perfect has hurt too many women and doesn't care about it that much. 

My current focus on my own writing is to take a basic paragraph and reduce it in size while expanding it in imagery.  In college, one of our projects was to re-write sentences and constantly change their meaning.  Vladimir Nabokov used to write on index cards.  One paragraph at a time, focusing on each and every word.  The result was a richness in language few can compare to.  The downside was flow.  I find his works sometimes hard to read.  If you ever get time, get an annotated copy of Lolita, his most famous novel.  You'll understand what I mean.

I refused to believe there is no magic in this world.  I look for it, seek it out and attract it in all my affairs.  My life's quest is to find magic--real magic.

#14 2008-10-07 16:11:03

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Ladies and Gentlemen, fellow Aspiring Writers, please follow this link and read the information provided:

http://www.jkelman.com/agents/index.html

I'm confident in saying that an Agent is the way to go, but finding one that will promote and believe in the submitted work is paramount. I will also say this: I expect to be rejected many many times. I must do everything I can not to let it discourage me. Also with this in mind, I'm going to be looking through the back covers of my preferred reading material for the sake of starting there.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-10-07 16:12:29)

#15 2008-10-14 14:24:10

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I agree - this would make a great sticky, but how to accomplish that is beyond my knowledge. Maybe The Busboy would know, but he's a little preoccupied right now, from what I've heard.

If we can do it here, I'd say let's go for it. If it's a no-no, then they can revert the action later on, but if one of the moderators can do it, then by all means, make this sticky.

IMHO. There. Covered myself.

#16 2008-10-14 14:32:20

punxnotdead

I looked to see if it would become a sticky, but I don't see any means to do so. hmm I bet Administators have more luck. But I'll continue to try.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#17 2008-10-15 20:47:21

punxnotdead

Gah! I see it now. Me and my blindness. Thanks for showing me that!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#18 2008-10-22 17:04:06

WritingWulf

Fweeeee, awesome Moddin hun. *yawns*

#19 2008-11-01 16:48:54

isafos

Read a lot. Steal if you have to, just make sure you change it enough so it isn't immediately noticeable. It's important to know what other people are doing, especially if you're a new writer and you're still developing your own writing style.

A good imagination has always helped me: the ability to put myself in my character's head, essentially roleplay that I'm him. I'm good at it: I've begun to tear up while doing this with one of my depressed characters. It's good fun, it's good practice, it's good for ideas, and I think you should know what kind of person your character would be off the paper if you want to know what they'll be like on it.

Write clearly. I also notice that sometimes it's a good idea for some people to add italics or bolding in their forum posts, otherwise they can begin to look like a medical journal as opposed to a person's own opinion, which is an emotional thing.
"When you said 'look on the computer' I didn't know you meant it was going to be on it."
"When you said 'look on the computer' I didn't know you meant it was going to be ON it."
You can see thats the difference between seeing that the guy was speaking literally when he said to look on the computer instead of 'on' as in in--and having no clue and feeling a little detached and stupid. Important? I think so.

#20 2008-11-02 01:24:53

punxnotdead

Good advice, Insafos.
I dunno whether I've mentioned this before but:
1. It's a good idea when experiencing a writer's block to sit in the dark (of your room) and mull over ways that you can take the story and get over the writer's block. Before bed, I imagine ways I can take the story and if need be, I jot them down on a piece of paper. It works for me everytime.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#21 2008-11-02 01:04:02

isafos

Yeah. Always keep a notepad and pencil next to your bed. I almost always have some form of writer's block during the day, but the second I should be sleeping, my mind is positively gushing material. I've come up with about eight different short story ideas in a week that way.

#22 2008-11-05 09:29:23

Aki

Come up with a simple concept for a character. It may be a couple words ("classic noir detective") or a paragraph ("Down on his luck detective who's dedicated to doing the right thing no matter the cost. Dresses like a classic film-noir detective. Old and out of touch with new tech, but knows the older methods better than anyone else."), etc.

Once you have the basic concept down you flesh the character out. Use a bunch of questions to help you decide what kind of person they are and how they've lived life thus far. Something like this, or this, etc.

#23 2008-11-08 06:30:29

isafos

SCIENCE has shown that listening to some Baroque music: such as some Mozart, Bach and Vivaldi in the background as you work (or write) can better activate both the left and right sides of the brain, making you more productive and relaxed at the same time.

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n15/mente/musica.html

That article wrote:

An Australian physician and psychiatrist, Dr. John Diamond, found a direct link between muscle strength/weakness and music. He discovered that all of the muscles in the entire body go weak when subjected to the "stopped anapestic beat" of music from hard rock musicians, including Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Queen, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Bachman - Turner Overdrive, and The Band. Dr. Diamond found another effect of the anapestic beat. He called it a "switching" of the brain. Dr. Diamond said this switching occurs when the actual symmetry between both of the cerebral hemispheres is destroyed causing alarm in the body along with lessened work performance, learning and behavior problems in children, and a "general malaise in adults." In addition to harmful, irregular beats in rock music, shrill frequencies prove to also be harmful to the body. Bob Larson, a Christian minister and former rock musician, remembers that in the 70's teens would bring raw eggs to a rock concert and put them on the front of the stage. The eggs would be hard boiled by the music before the end of the concert and could be eaten. Dr. Earl W. Flosdorf and Dr. Leslie A. Chambers showed that proteins in a liquid medium were coagulated when subjected to piercing high-pitched sounds

I told yer' damn kids that there music was bad for yer! Now get your asses off my lawn! lol

I've done nothing but read the studies, so I don't know for sure about he legitimacy of this, but I'll be giving it a try at least. Four seasons is being put on my iPod as I write this. Personally it sounds a litte more inherently plausible than a responsive plant, but I'm not a biologist either; that one could be just as right or wrong. Either way, they're both interesting reading. Yay science, eh?

#24 2008-11-08 11:10:18

WritingWulf

isafos wrote:

Personally it sounds a litte more inherently plausible than a responsive plant, but I'm not a biologist either; that one could be just as right or wrong. Either way, they're both interesting reading. Yay science, eh?

I'm studying Biology right now and it is true that plants are responsive to their environment, and everything in it.

That, and this has nothing to do with Aspiring Writers. Stay on topic please

Last edited by WritingWulf (2008-11-08 11:11:51)

#25 2008-11-09 14:42:25

Layira
Website

Another thing, (I don't think anyone's said this yet) keep writing. Sometimes I find the best way to cure a writer's block or to find ideas is just to write whatever comes to mind; even if that means writing the same word over and over, and keep in mind that it doesn't have to be related to the story (or whatever you're writing), it's just an excercise to make your mind work and get some gears turning. Usually, after a few sentences I get an idea. ^^

Hope that helps! ^^ And great suggestions, everyone!

Embrace the Moonlight, but do not scorn the Sun.

Board footer