The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-01 15:50:43

isafos

Discussing plot points.

This came about after the conclusion of my 'Silver Bullets?' thread (http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic … 52&p=2), when I discovered that Milana and myself are both in the process of writing Werewolf novels, and we began a very interesting discussion on them: the plans we had for them, comparisons; that sort of thing. Since that was essentially spamming a dead thread, and upon recommendation, I'm making this thread.

Basically this is here so the writers of werewolf cafe can discuss their stories with other writers, talk about all the aforementioned things, and more.

Here's some interesting material that is up for discussion:

Werewolves in general, and werewolf anatomy:
What kind of Werewolf do you write? The Van Helsing + deviantart anthropomorhic type? The 'Wolf man' type? The 'An American Werewolf in London' all-fours type? Details of these types? What brings on the transformation in your werewolf? Moon? Wolfsbane? Bite? Ritual? Genetic engineering? Birth?

Setting and Genre:
War, science fiction, our Earth, fantasy, horror? How does your story play out? Where does your story play out? When does your story play out?

Writing tips & tricks, including writing styles:
Writing tips & tricks, including writing styles!

Last edited by isafos (2008-11-02 02:34:38)

#2 2008-11-02 00:16:18

milana
Website

Re: Discussing plot points.

Yeah, this is definitely a better place for our discussion. smile

I'm kind of out of thoughts at the moment, though. I've been writing for the past hour and just finished a fight scene between a werewolf and a vampire. Which was amusing, because my vamp was super strong because it had been feeding off its own kind. Normally my weres are stronger than the vampires, who are faster than the weres so it evens out. Anyway, yeah, my vamp got through out a window. XD But that's what happens when you cut and then lick my Geneva's neck. tongue (it was a mini-lesbian scene with violence, I swear to the Goddess)

But writing that scene made me wonder about the whole werewolf/vampire thing and how this whole animosity between the two is depicted in novels. I have my werewolves and vamps kind of... "eh, you're there, your territory is against mine so...we should probably not hate each other just for peace sake."

I'm curious about how others would depict that relationship in their stories, or if they don't bring in vampires at all.

There's nothing that can't be cured by chocolate. Unless you're craving calamari.

My Triond.

#3 2008-11-02 00:36:51

-Spike-
Website

I'm currently writing the story "A Cold Day In Hell - A Werewolf at War" (http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic.php?id=3755) and I always had this crazy idea of a werewolf soldier fighting in WWII. So then I thought "how awesome would that have been?" I started writing almost immediately. It's a story of a young man who's new to being a werewolf and how he deals with his hardships, sufferings, and moments of "heroism" that he and his platoon share whilst fighting the Nazis in 1944 France. It's a work in progress...and I was hoping for a bit more feedback.

Last edited by -Spike- (2008-11-02 01:04:17)

How bout d'em Yankees?

#4 2008-11-02 01:15:11

punxnotdead

Oooo, this is a good thread, insafos! I might sticky it.
Okay, so I actually finished my story Werewolf in the Shadows a few weeks ago. I'm currently revising it, but I'll give you the gyst of it.

Alex Millar accepts an offer by an extremely powerful and wealthy man, Tom Crowell, concerning and performance enhancer drug.
Only Alex doesn't realize the horror the drug possesses, as it changes everything he once knew. A darkness that dwells in the back of his mind is finally revealed and he must join forces to stop Crowell from allowing the drug (Codoxin) into the public's hands. Only then does he realize how powerful the depraved man truly is and must stop him at all costs from destroying him and everything he cares about - to get revenge.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#5 2008-11-02 01:26:06

-Spike-
Website

punxnotdead wrote:

Oooo, this is a good thread, insafos! I might sticky it.
Okay, so I actually finished my story Werewolf in the Shadows a few weeks ago. I'm currently revising it, but I'll give you the gyst of it.

Alex Millar accepts an offer by an extremely powerful and wealthy man, Tom Crowell, concerning and performance enhancer drug.
Only Alex doesn't realize the horror the drug possesses, as it changes everything he once knew. A darkness that dwells in the back of his mind is finally revealed and he must join forces to stop Crowell from allowing the drug (Codoxin) into the public's hands. Only then does he realize how powerful the depraved man truly is and must stop him at all costs from destroying him and everything he cares about - to get revenge.

Oooooo! *claps* I wanna read it!!!

How bout d'em Yankees?

#6 2008-11-02 01:43:26

isafos

"A Cold Day In Hell - A Werewolf at War"

Nitpicks:
There are a few speeling mistakes here and there, but they're nothing overly noticeable. 'Sargant' as opposed to 'Sergeant' and the like, but that can all be fixed, especially if you plan to collect all your future posts and edit together a full story in .PDF or something like that.

I think it's a little unrealistic in the 'acceptance' the troops display of the protagonist--especially during the normandy landings, where everyone would be seeing him--so I had a little trouble suspending my disbelief. That also can be fixed if you want to, by example, bringing in Allies that want you dead. Or, staying out of significant battles and sticking to a relatively small and loyal squad.

The story has yet to be fleshed out, but I expect you'll get a chance to do more of that as you go along. I think the fact that you're releasing parts of the novel in bite-sized chunks is resulting in drawback, it may be a better idea to release in full chapters, or multiple chapters depending on how large they are.
My main nitpick, the one that actually affected the story, was that you never went into any detailed description of your protagonist, either during a transformation, when in-form, or as a human, so I didn't know what he looks like other than his height and fur colour once he's wolfed out, and I never knew for certain when he was in werewolf form or not. Both of these are vitally important to mention as you go along.
Confusion = disconnection, which is never a good thing. Readers hate being confused like that. Just keep an eye out for those points in the future, and you'll be fine. These are all easily fix-able nitpicks.

Pros:
I really like the idea. I must admit, werewolf in WWII is way cooler than Zombies in WWII, and I'm really looking forward to the continuation of the story. Keep on writing. smile

On to discussion: do you have any plans for the future? Perhaps bringing in a nazi werewolf to serve as the story's antagonist? Allies trying to kill you? Relationships? Twists?
I think it's an important thing to know how your story is going to end, also a couple of things you plan to throw in on the way to keep it alive. Twists are good, I wouldn't want to read a novel that was simply Call of Duty 2: scenario after scenario of 'go here, kill this, mindless irrelevant banter, patriotic music'.
In the long run, war is more of a backdrop for the actual story, which is what I think you need to be looking at working on at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing a transformation scene if you plan to include one, and it will be cool seeing how you choose to progress the story.

Have you created a synopsis or written a general plannet story-arc for it, or are you coming up with it as you go? I'd be interested to hear how you're writing. Also, this has just been a critique. Once you've finished the story, I'll happily post a review--something with a number assigned to it! big_smile
So far, it's looking good. smile

~

Thanks a ton for stickying the thread Punx. smile

Sounds interesting, I would like to read more of it when you're done, what you've given is more of a general premise. Would I be correct in assuming that the 'performance enhancing drug' brings on lycanthropy, and that Alex Millar is the unlucky consumer of one of these?

#7 2008-11-02 15:53:23

-Spike-
Website

Thanks alot smile glad to have the advice. I was thinking about bringing in a Nazi werewolf. I think that would really get the plot going. choose between his kind or his morals. OHHH thats good. But i ws also thinking of making his kill off some of his allies. I dunno we'll see where it takes us. big_smile Uhh, I'm really coming up with it as I go. But I do compare how my ideas would affect the story thoughout the day. I am aware that the story contains mostly short posts with a slow intro, I'm currently working on that. Thanks again for the support! big_smile However Im a bit unclear how to display it in .PDF format sad

Last edited by -Spike- (2008-11-02 16:01:40)

How bout d'em Yankees?

#8 2008-11-02 22:12:24

punxnotdead

isafos wrote:

"A Cold Day In Hell - A Werewolf at War"

Nitpicks:
There are a few speeling mistakes here and there, but they're nothing overly noticeable. 'Sargant' as opposed to 'Sergeant' and the like, but that can all be fixed, especially if you plan to collect all your future posts and edit together a full story in .PDF or something like that.

I think it's a little unrealistic in the 'acceptance' the troops display of the protagonist--especially during the normandy landings, where everyone would be seeing him--so I had a little trouble suspending my disbelief. That also can be fixed if you want to, by example, bringing in Allies that want you dead. Or, staying out of significant battles and sticking to a relatively small and loyal squad.

The story has yet to be fleshed out, but I expect you'll get a chance to do more of that as you go along. I think the fact that you're releasing parts of the novel in bite-sized chunks is resulting in drawback, it may be a better idea to release in full chapters, or multiple chapters depending on how large they are.
My main nitpick, the one that actually affected the story, was that you never went into any detailed description of your protagonist, either during a transformation, when in-form, or as a human, so I didn't know what he looks like other than his height and fur colour once he's wolfed out, and I never knew for certain when he was in werewolf form or not. Both of these are vitally important to mention as you go along.
Confusion = disconnection, which is never a good thing. Readers hate being confused like that. Just keep an eye out for those points in the future, and you'll be fine. These are all easily fix-able nitpicks.

Pros:
I really like the idea. I must admit, werewolf in WWII is way cooler than Zombies in WWII, and I'm really looking forward to the continuation of the story. Keep on writing. smile

On to discussion: do you have any plans for the future? Perhaps bringing in a nazi werewolf to serve as the story's antagonist? Allies trying to kill you? Relationships? Twists?
I think it's an important thing to know how your story is going to end, also a couple of things you plan to throw in on the way to keep it alive. Twists are good, I wouldn't want to read a novel that was simply Call of Duty 2: scenario after scenario of 'go here, kill this, mindless irrelevant banter, patriotic music'.
In the long run, war is more of a backdrop for the actual story, which is what I think you need to be looking at working on at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing a transformation scene if you plan to include one, and it will be cool seeing how you choose to progress the story.

Have you created a synopsis or written a general plannet story-arc for it, or are you coming up with it as you go? I'd be interested to hear how you're writing. Also, this has just been a critique. Once you've finished the story, I'll happily post a review--something with a number assigned to it! big_smile
So far, it's looking good. smile

~

Thanks a ton for stickying the thread Punx. smile

Sounds interesting, I would like to read more of it when you're done, what you've given is more of a general premise. Would I be correct in assuming that the 'performance enhancing drug' brings on lycanthropy, and that Alex Millar is the unlucky consumer of one of these?

No problem, and yes, you'd be correct. I'll have it revised within two months if I'm lucky and once that happens, anyone who wants a copy, I can send it over hotmail.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#9 2008-11-02 23:50:03

isafos

Just google 'Text to .PDF', there are programs that can make .PDF's, or there are programs that convert stuff into .PDF's. Depends on how simple you want it to be, really.

http://createpdf.adobe.com/ 
http://www.pdfonline.com/

That sort of thing.

I find it funny that we were thinking the same things. Yeah, I like the idea of a Nazi werewolf. lol

@Punx, yeah, that would fantastico. If my e-mail isn't in my profile I'll PM it to you later.

So what kind of werewolves do you guys prefer to write? How do you like to have them turned?

#10 2008-11-02 23:59:36

-Spike-
Website

isafos wrote:

Just google 'Text to .PDF', there are programs that can make .PDF's, or there are programs that convert stuff into .PDF's. Depends on how simple you want it to be, really.

That sort of thing.

I find it funny that we were thinking the same things. Yeah, I like the idea of a Nazi werewolf. lol

@Punx, yeah, that would fantastico. If my e-mail isn't in my profile I'll PM it to you later.

So what kind of werewolves do you guys prefer to write? How do you like to have them turned?

Thanks for the link! Umm...The werewolves I write are kinda the wolf man type, you know? on 2 legs, tall, alot like William from Underworld 2. I usually get them to start off born as a werewolf. It is on a rare occasion that I turn them from another werewolf or something like that.

How bout d'em Yankees?

#11 2008-11-03 09:27:45

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

-Spike- wrote:

Thanks alot smile glad to have the advice. I was thinking about bringing in a Nazi werewolf. I think that would really get the plot going. choose between his kind or his morals. OHHH thats good. But i ws also thinking of making his kill off some of his allies. I dunno we'll see where it takes us. big_smile Uhh, I'm really coming up with it as I go. But I do compare how my ideas would affect the story thoughout the day. I am aware that the story contains mostly short posts with a slow intro, I'm currently working on that. Thanks again for the support! big_smile However Im a bit unclear how to display it in .PDF format sad

I kind of like the idea of a Soviet Werewolf.  On paper, they would be on the same side, but would they really be allies?

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#12 2008-11-03 11:21:29

punxnotdead

isafos wrote:

That sort of thing.

Okay. smile
I perfer to write about werewolves with digit-grade paws, bipedal usually, but runs as a quadriped. Only grows a few inches from its original height, has a smaller tale that a normal wolf, a mane around the throat and relatively short, coarse hair on the body, much like a wolf.
The muzzle is broad, the eyes are yellow and have that incandescent sheen when light is flashed on them.
I usually make my characters able to shift from werewolf to wolf, only their wolf form is larger than that of a normal wolf, but not significantly. The colour of fur is always the colour of the hair.

My werewolves do have a weakness to silver and fire. Bullets have difficulty penetrating their skin because they have strongly condensed molecular structure. They heal at rapid speeds.
When in wolf/werewolf form, they are not ravenous killers. I figure in a transformation, the brain doesn't change much, if at all, so they maintain their conscious. They have no 'wolf' side as they are not genetically linked to any species known to man - I guess it could be alien-like. They maintain their human personalities and are often born a werewolf. They cannot be bitten and acquire the change, but in my story Werewolf in the Shadows, the Codoxin drug permits such.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#13 2008-11-03 12:16:48

Aki

Werewolves in general, and werewolf anatomy:
What kind of Werewolf do you write? The Van Helsing + deviantart anthropomorhic type? The 'Wolf man' type? The 'An American Werewolf in London' all-fours type? Details of these types? What brings on the transformation in your werewolf? Moon? Wolfsbane? Bite? Ritual? Genetic engineering? Birth?

Depends on the sort of story I'm writing, or writing in as most of my writing is roleplays (collaborative story telling, booyah). But I like all sorts, with my favorite sorts capable of a multitude of forms or even such a degree of control that they can assume some traits in any form (like growing claws to gain an edge when a full out shift is simply unfeasible).

If anyone is familar with Werewolf: The Forsaken, they're among my favorite werewolves. They're possessed of insanely powerful and resilent bodies, but these advantages are undermined by the fact that it's fueled by rage, and not any rage, but a supernatural one, far outstripping normal anger. As well as the fact that their past ties them intimately to the affairs of spirits and the shadow-world. And spirits are not nice.

They're no fuzzy-cuddly werewolves, but neither are they monsters. Well, factionless and the Forsaken faction werewolves anyways - the Pure faction of werewolves (the largest faction!) is rather monstrous.

Setting and Genre:
War, science fiction, our Earth, fantasy, horror? How does your story play out? Where does your story play out? When does your story play out?

Depends like before. Though usually I prefer werewolves in a modern setting. I like modern supernatural stories. I like to have some element of horror though I also like action and adventure and stuff.

Last edited by Aki (2008-11-03 12:19:01)

#14 2008-11-03 17:39:13

-Spike-
Website

Niktoma wrote:

-Spike- wrote:

I kind of like the idea of a Soviet Werewolf.  On paper, they would be on the same side, but would they really be allies?

Nah, Soviets were communists. Germany had a fascist government which despised classless societies (communism). In WWI, the Russians were to be INVADED by Germany after Germany completed taking over France (The Shlieffen Plan), Russsia being allies of France, were to begin fighting the Germans and THEIR allies. I don't want to give an entire history lesson but before WWII, Hitler came into power with a fascist government and the fight with Russia began again. BUT the idea of a Soviet werewolf is amazing, it would be HIGHLY unrealistic for them to be allies unless they were personal friends or otherwise.

Last edited by -Spike- (2008-11-03 18:16:08)

How bout d'em Yankees?

#15 2008-11-03 18:00:16

milana
Website

isafos wrote:

My werewolves are naturally born, though a bite will turn someone, but 8 out of 10 cases they die during the process, because it's a complete rewrite of their DNA. Usually those who are bit and survive either have some other power to protect them or have a werewolf ancestor. My werewolves aren't really allergic to silver, though if it gets into their blood stream it takes them longer to heal, but they do heal unlike with a human, who would most likely die from being injected with silver. In my book there is only one surefire way to kill a werewolf: disconnect it's head from the spinal cord.

As for looks: Mine are actual wolves, though a bit bigger than a regular wolf. Depending on their hereditary, their eye color in human form and their fur color vary according to region. British Isles werewolves (like mine, who are originally from Ireland) have dark reddish-brown fur and amber to light yellow eyes (the Alpha has amber, her little brother has yellow-gold). The area of France-Germany the fur is usually pure white to gray and their eyes are silver. The Mediterranean werewolves are light brown with some white thrown in fur and their eyes are crystal blue. Interestingly, for a bitten werewolf the fur depends on heritage. I have two bitten werewolves in my book. One in pure white with silver eyes and his name is French. The other is African-American and he has black fur, but he was bit twice by both the French and Irish pack, so his eyes are dark gray with gold specks.

There's nothing that can't be cured by chocolate. Unless you're craving calamari.

My Triond.

#16 2008-11-04 15:08:36

punxnotdead

Ooo, that's a very interesting concept, Milana. I could be wrong, but I remember reading some of it.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#17 2008-11-04 18:05:29

milana
Website

Yeah, I posted a couple of short, background stories here and in one the character Bade talks about werewolf heritage.

My Triond.

#18 2008-11-04 20:46:33

isafos

Here's a good one:

What do you really hate about Werewolf stories that you've read?

#19 2008-11-05 00:57:04

-Spike-
Website

When the werewolves are ALWAYS the bad guys...WTF!?

Last edited by -Spike- (2008-11-05 22:12:25)

How bout d'em Yankees?

#20 2008-11-05 09:13:24

Aki

isafos wrote:

Here's a good one:

What do you really hate about Werewolf stories that you've read?

Ones that are mindless monsters. I mean, it's amusing once or twice but after that the trope gets old. I mean, that's why vampire and zombie fiction started change (vampires going from mindless undeadbeasties to being that and/or seductive monster, zombies picked up speed and some even decided that zombies are living but infected and would rather stomp you to death instead of eat your brains, etc.) It's stagnating and not particularly intriguing to see the same monster over and over.

Other things I hate:
- Lack of anatomical knowledge. Knees do not bend back on wolves, kthxbai.
- Werewolves who are too nice, the opposite and less common variant of the first thing I discussed disliking. Often they're also tribal and living in perfect harmony with nature. Bleh, unrealistic and uninteresting.
- Werewolves hate/don't use technology. Never liked this one a bit. I like my werewolves to prowl the urban jungles and use technology as cleverly as people. It's more realistic and frankly scarier. You might chase after a werewolf only to realize he's lead you into a trap the moment you leg catches on a trip wire and the shotgun-trap blows out your kneecap.
- People going "what is that!?" or sticking around to watch a werewolf shift. I mean c'mon, you know what it is and you know you ought not be waiting for it to turn and eat you. It's as silly as people refusing to use the word "Zombie" in zombie movie dialogue (famously parodied in Shaun of the Dead).

#21 2008-11-05 12:09:02

Berserker

My story "Storm" is a modern fantasy. It takes place in the not-too-distant future, and the protagonists are normal people thrust into supernatural circumstances. http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic.php?id=3769 (comments welcome!)

This blurb describes the plot:

"Eric Harper is the world's only werewolf, and everyone knows it. Little does he realize that his transformation was the first revelation of an ancient secret prophesied to change the human world forever. Now, as a shadowy agency moves the final piece in their plan to stop the apocalypse, Eric is thrown into a whirlwind that he's powerless to prevent, and he's forced to face the storm head-on."

(Spoilers below, for anyone who wants to actually read the story:)

Transformation: My werewolf's first transformation happens for reasons that he doesn't understand. It's almost Kafkaesque, or like in the novel "The Wild." Later, he learns that he can shapeshift to and from human and wolf by meditating, but slowly, the ability to control the shift gets weaker and weaker, until he undergoes one final transformation into a werewolf, and is forced to live that way. He doesn't know much about science, and assumes the transformation is in some way mythological. (It is.) There's no virus, DNA mutation, or anything like that involved, as far as anyone knows--werewolves are simply humans who have been "called back" to nature.

There are many other were-animals in my world as well. Other people become were-animals in much the same way: an as-of-yet unexplained, but somehow not entirely alien or unwelcome, transformation. Only the first werewolf ever to appear is able to transform others by biting them.

Appearance: My werewolves probably fit under the "Deviant Art" category. They're more animal than human-like, however. The cover art for my "Storm" story is a reasonable approximation: these werewolves can move on all fours, although they rarely do; are digitigrade; are (often) unclothed with a fur pelt that matches their animal counterpart; have somewhat human-like hands; and have eyes that reveal a human sentience.

Life: Even though their human personalities are more-or-less intact, the were-animals in my story are destined to be guided by animal instincts. Their transformed thought processes give them a preference for the natural over the artificial. Most of them believe they've been granted a gift of "harmony with the earth," but eventually they'll realize this is a very human idealism. They forget that life in the wilderness is a dirty, violent, and dangerous existence. Their instincts result in behavior that sometimes seems unpredictable to outsiders, but which makes perfect sense to others of their own kind.

Last edited by Berserker (2008-11-05 14:41:35)

Our Marcuse, only better.

#22 2008-11-05 13:46:31

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

There are some very interesting and imaginative ideas posted here, and I love the fact that people are obviously sick and tired of the same Jekyll-and-Hyde storyline variations forced upon the werewolf mythos. I'm confident in saying that audiences are ready for a more practical, self-aware type of werewolf. I'll start by bringing a certain line of reasoning over from a different thread.

Layson wrote:

The inherent inclination of the werewolf in any story would no doubt spawn from the intentions of the storyteller. The storyteller can make the life of a homicidal maniac sound like a true tragedy, or the most innocent of people look like a possessed heathen bent on taking over the world.
  So, how does he want people to think of the werewolf in his story?

That being said, I prefer to look at the werewolf creature as a merger of two species: wolf and man. A werewolf should be a sum of it's parts, shouldn't it?
  Intensive studies (albeit recent) have shown us that wolves really aren't the bloodthirsty monsters that they were once considered. They hunt when they need to, they run when they need to, they attack/defend when they need to, they play when they need to, and they even discipline when they need to. They are social animals with strong family values. They have a ranking structure in the family that is strictly enforced by the Alpha. Though lone wolves are reported, the nature of the wolf is to exist in its pack, its family. They are indeed beautiful creatures, and are not inherently evil.
  And yet, when you merge that type of creature with a human, it turns them into a mindless roaring ball of furry rage that goes around ripping everybody's throats out - and all because it's their new inherent nature.
  Wait - What?
  Should not the actions of the beast be determined by what the individual decides (or is instinctively inclined, perhaps) to do with the ability - not a fateful stereotype?

In short, let's put real wolf characteristics into the werewolf formula already!

Although my werewolves are more peaceful than most, they will also fight viciously if necessary. Most importantly, I try to incorporate wolf body language, characteristics, and mannerisms into the creatures, even hunting and fighting styles. As a result, my werewolves are much more wolf-like than the usual depictions, have developed their own independent culture and belief system, making them more of a society than just an anomaly.

I also refrain from the whole 'fur retracting back into the body' thing; I've found that to be annoying for me, so I just have them shed their coats during the reverse TF.

I also agree that the TF or reverse TF is the most vulnerable time for a werewolf, and it doesn't make sense that people with a conflict of interest would sit around and wait for them to finish before taking action.

I've got a lot more ideas and differences, especially about my story; but that should do for now. If you want further details on my story, just ask.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#23 2008-11-05 19:59:38

isafos

My god you people have some orgasmically good ideas when it comes to this. lol

I admit I've still got a ways to go with my research, procrastination has been a huge problem with me. Those damn links in wikipedia! DX

Ultimately, I've yet to come to a full conclusion with the werewolves, I keep changing my mind. I think there are aspects from every werewolf stereotype that I like, but none of them are perfect for me. I think it's a matter of taking what I like from different things, making up anything additional and then seeing what I've got.

I haven't been able to cover a lot of stuff on my own personal werewolf mythology, because I've mainly come up with stuff relative to how the human would deal with it. At the moment, my werewolves aren't voluntary, and it is transferred via a bite or by a plant, but that isn't particularly solid, so I may change it to something else. Transformations are painful, incredibly painful, so much so that it could kill you if you're not careful. In human form my werewolf character doesn't deal with it very well. He's already depressed, and the prospect of incredible pain every so often isn't a very nice one. Currently for me it's random when a werewolf transforms, it depends on the luminoscity of the moon at the time: basically how thick the ozone layer is that particular day. This seems to suggest that it's sa very scientific lycanthropy, and I'm not wholly a fan of it. Work in progress, like I said.

Beserker wrote:

Transformation: My werewolf's first transformation happens for reasons that he doesn't understand. It's almost Kafkaesque, or like in the novel "The Wild." Later, he learns that he can shapeshift to and from human and wolf by meditating, but slowly, the ability to control the shift gets weaker and weaker, until he undergoes one final transformation into a werewolf, and is forced to live that way. He doesn't know much about science, and assumes the transformation is in some way mythological. (It is.) There's no virus, DNA mutation, or anything like that involved, as far as anyone knows--werewolves are simply humans who have been "called back" to nature.

My lord that is depressing, I like it. I will read your story when I get time, it's at the top of my list. lol

#24 2008-11-05 23:02:17

Berserker

Maybe I made it sound more depressing than it actually is. tongue Be forewarned: the ultimate gist of the story is somewhat spiritual and pro-nature. My target audience was the internet werewolf fan demographic, if that tells you anything.

The sequel, which is a work in progress, will delve into this question, and attempt to address the conflict there: "what would happen to human society if most everyone turned into an animal?"

Last edited by Berserker (2008-11-05 23:28:56)

Our Marcuse, only better.

#25 2008-11-06 01:22:47

isafos

Well, on the outside to me it sounds depressing, but it depends on what kind person is looking at it, and what kind of person your protagonist is. If it is coming from the 'Werewolf Cafe' demographic, then possibly happy with it yes, Rexwolf-types greatly so, but it doesn't sound particularly fun being stuck like that permanently from my point of view. lol

I'll get back to you after I start reading it this evening.

Board footer