The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-05 23:14:47

KitPup

The Mythos of the Lycanthrope (Seeking answers)

I actually found this place as part of my research for a final. What I want to know is what myths and legends there are in various cultures that made their way into North America (and roughly when) I'm having a bit of a time finding anything I can use for my essay and various included projects, anything anyone can toss out will be very helpful!
(And if I've posted this in the wrong area, please move it! smile )

#2 2008-11-06 01:15:01

rexwolf

Re: The Mythos of the Lycanthrope (Seeking answers)

Because Wolves deserve better

#3 2008-11-06 01:16:11

Fang87

It's hard to say. Much of werewolf folklore in North-America is a melting pot of lycanthropy ranging from Native-American beliefs to what was primarily brought over by the French (loup-garou) and possibly some Norse cultures. The Native Americans believed in all sorts of peoples and spirits that went through transformations from human to animal, vice-versa, as well as into areas in-between. For instance, one tribe believed that bears were originally a tribe of people that slowly transitioned into becoming the animals. Another example is the trickster of Coyote, who was said to be able to exist as a man, a coyote, and a hybrid.

Werewolf folklore was also  brought over, I believe, primarily by the French. As such you'll probably hear more about the werewolf mythos in places such as Quebec and Louisiana.  Whether or not there is any werewolf lore in Mexico, I'm unsure. But I would assume that the early native cultures had myths similar to other Native-American tribes, such as were-jaguar myths in South America.

As a recap, look into Norse folklore, Native-American beliefs, and more former-colonies of the French.

"It's like a party in my mouth except everyone's throwing-up." Fry - Futurama

#4 2008-11-06 23:36:10

Pyro

Throughout the world you will find myths of humans becoming wolves and vice-versa, but the answer you wish for lies among the minds of men today for they are influenced depending on which native american tribe originally lived there and the legends they created.

In evolution genetic mutation of the next generation is used so that we may evolve, so who is the strange the normals or the abnormals?

#5 2009-08-30 02:19:56

the_wolf_mage7

most of us in alaska believe that there are 2 species of lycans, the 1st one is the casual stereotype of a person being forced to change under the full moon with no control whatsoever (lycanitis), the other is the more firm belief that a true werewolf has full control over when they change and what they do in their true wolf form (lycanthrope)

how lonely is the night, without the howl of a wolf?

Board footer