The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-25 09:10:45

Daninsky
Website

A therious question (kind of)

So, I've got a question regarding therians (a therious question, got it? *poke* *poke*):

If I suspected myself to be, say, a weresnail, how could I tell?
Would I suddenly start to crave salad, shy away from salt and panic at the thought of bathing in beer?

Last edited by Daninsky (2009-02-25 09:12:13)

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#2 2009-02-25 09:49:37

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Re: A therious question (kind of)

Surely you'd just feel an affinity for, and connection to, snails. I'm not sure you'd pick up all their dietary characteristics etc. For example, I am a wolf therian, but I don't get frequent cravings for raw red meat. Such things are based in the purely physical world and have nothing to do with therianthropy, contrary to the beliefs of a (lot of) (annoying) misguided teenagers.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#3 2009-02-25 10:13:01

Daninsky
Website

Oh, so that's why Goths (soz, 'Vamps') don't fear to walk around by daylight?

Makes sense I guess, but you would feel more comfortable in a rolling home than in static one, right?
Unless you're the other kind of snail, then you would probably feel drawn to nude beaches ... but that could be just hormons.
And if you only picked up snailish behaviour but not their dietary characteristics you could still be a weresloth, I guess.

#4 2009-02-25 14:45:20

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Wha...? Since when were the terms 'Goth' and 'Vamp' interchangeable? One complies with the features of either one or the other, not both

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#5 2009-02-25 17:03:45

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

A lot of people are misguided, sadly. I've reason to believe of being a therian (not going to say I am, don't want to end up looking like a 'wannabe'). But all that shite about 'cravings' 'attitude' doesn't necessarily apply to all therians. And like ShadyHowl said, it's more of an affinity. But I want to know, if you have an affinity, wouldn't it be classified as a furry? What is it entirely that splits the difference of furry and therian? And Also, do all therians shift?

<3

#6 2009-02-25 19:25:46

Daninsky
Website

You mean 'Vamps' ain't those mascara wearing, pale guys that believe themself to be the "Princes of the Night", too bad. big_smile

Do therians 'shift' at all (outside of workshifts that is)?
I mean even in a strictly psychological sense that sounds iffy.

#7 2009-02-25 19:55:23

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

HEY!!! im touchy on the subject of vampires!if you get me started it takes a lot to get me off......ooohhh!a chicken!*chases into woods*

"In the time it took for you to walk down one little hallway,I went to London,got my head blown off,and came back."-Schrodinger-Hellsing "Now lets go die like mangy dogs!"-bernadotte-hellsing "Please Mr. Bernadette,do not smoke inside me."-Seras-hellsing

#8 2009-02-26 23:30:00

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

If you are one, you'll know.  You'd have a deep connection to that animal.

LycanJayBoy wrote:

And Also, do all therians shift?

No.  Only most reportedly.

Oh, and let's not talk about Vampires, that's a subject for a whole series of threads, and could quickly lead to drama... All we need to know us that Vampires are normal people with a minor condition like us, and we are NOT at war with them.

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2009-02-26 23:34:05)

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#9 2009-02-27 07:00:32

Daninsky
Website

SherlawkDragon wrote:

All we need to know is that Vampires are normal people with a minor condition like us, and we are NOT at war with them.

*tucks away dead Vamp* "Oops, I found him that way, honestly!"

#10 2009-02-27 17:29:38

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

?????????my attention span of a gerbil can't understand......

"In the time it took for you to walk down one little hallway,I went to London,got my head blown off,and came back."-Schrodinger-Hellsing "Now lets go die like mangy dogs!"-bernadotte-hellsing "Please Mr. Bernadette,do not smoke inside me."-Seras-hellsing

#11 2009-02-27 18:29:12

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Moonfur> Filtering out the offtopic chatter about Vampires:
Being a therian is simply about having a deep, personal connection to that animal: Identifying as it.  If you were a weresnail, as was the example, that's how you would picture yourself, as a snail (and no, not in a self loathing manner).

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#12 2009-02-27 18:57:30

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Besides the deep connection, and i know there are topics on this, what else defines a therian, like, how would you know, besides knowing

<3

#13 2009-02-27 19:09:17

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

k gerbil attention span has got the idea:)

#14 2009-02-28 02:10:53

WolfVanZandt
Website

That is the definition, LycanJayBoy. A Therian is a human with a nonhuman mentality - a nonhuman mind in a human body. Or, if you want to go deeper, as I think is warranted, the underlying processes, whatever they are, that generally produces that situation.

How do you know? Well, there are things about a person that doesn't make since in the usual worldview that suddenly makes complete since when they find out about Therians. It's the same kind of thing that defines a person as Human or as a member of their family.

#15 2009-02-28 02:38:47

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

That seems to make more sense. So, what you're saying is if I had a deep connection to wolves and werewolves in general before knowledge of therianthropy, I may actually be one? As in I develope a connection afterwords of knowledge, I would be more of a wannabe than chances of being a therian, unless it 'awakened' something.

<3

#16 2009-02-28 05:41:58

WolfVanZandt
Website

I see the phrase often but I honestly don't know what "a deep connection to wolves and werewolves" means.

I don't imagine it makes any difference whether you realize what you are before or after knowledge of therianthropy. You could know about therianthropy and slowly come to the realization that it refers to you or someone might tell you about therianthropy and it will ring a bell, but it won't be an exercise in escapism. It'll be an honest recognition that therianthropy explains what's happening to you in your life.

I guess a person could still make a mistake.

#17 2009-02-28 06:53:23

Daninsky
Website

Now if only we had a measure for what exactly constitutes a 'human mentality'. smile

Yeah, that deep connection thingy is throwing me off, too.
If I was to raise, say, leeches, I would start to feel a connction to them and yet I would be no more of a tax official  or a Vamp as I was before...

#18 2009-03-01 00:28:50

WolfVanZandt
Website

Indeed.

Human mentality is primarily linguistic, political, and not very strongly mediated by instinctual factors.

#19 2009-03-01 06:37:14

Daninsky
Website

Sounds like 'therian' is just a extremly misleading naming for people that are more prone to follow their more 'irrational' side vs. the people that rather keep on the more more 'rational' side.

#20 2009-03-01 14:01:28

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Perhaps these questions could be better answered on a site specifically about Therianthropy?

#21 2009-03-01 23:04:24

WolfVanZandt
Website

Heh, and on the Therian site, a person is asking why Therians tend to be so rational.......

No, by far, most of the Therians I've known (in real life) tend to be rationalistic. Just because their bodies tend to have a good "automatic pilot" doesn't mean their minds can't be analytical.

In the typical Human brain, the language function is so dominant that it mediates and/or masks everything else. In a Therian mind, language operates along side the other functions but doesn't dominate. If I had to guess I'd say the major differences are in the temporal lobe.

#22 2009-03-01 23:09:05

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

English, please. It's for.. the others that can't understand you, not me, of course wink .

But I have another question, how do you 'feel' when you shift? As in, emotions, senses, understanding, and perception. Aswell as attention to details, of course.

(I'm asking because I've had a multitude of responses from different people, but they are, in some way, related. Except for one, his is slightly different because he's a coyote, as in, he doesn't feel wolfish, but mroe coyote-ish. tongue)

<3

Board footer