The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-27 19:06:35

MIXXDUP

My Position Paper.

Not 100% sure if this is the right place to post but here it is. I wrote this for my english class. Please dont get mad at gender set up. My teacher made me change "them" to "him". I was trying to be good about not discriminating females. I realize now ow short my project is... Seems like I could have made it longer. Well here it is.

â€śBeing gay, it’s not something that a person chooses, it’s something that we’re born with.”

Chris Shell <--- me!!!
Welding1
Kristi Lewis<--- English Teacher...
12/12/08

“Being gay, it’s not something that a person chooses, it’s something that we’re born with.”

â€śBeing gay, it’s not something that a person chooses,” said Derek Whitefeild. “It’s something that we’re born with.”(Mike O’Sullivan) Exactly, being gay is no crime nor is it changeable. If he is gay, he is gay no helping it now. Honestly if he finds someone he loves then he should be with them forever and show them that he does love them. Marriage is a very powerful bond that should be enjoyed by all sides. Why make gay marriage illegal?

Issues on same-sex marriage have been going on in America since the first issue came up in the 1970’s. Ever since then people have been battling back and forth on either side. Only recently has proponents of same-sex marriage made any major advances and yet they are still being set-back. Only two states as of now are legalizing same-sex marriages, and a few are still in progress.
Some people say it violates Christianity to be gay. The Bible has been misinterpreted over the past hundreds of years. The Bible was written by men and not god himself. Also the Bible has been re-written quite a few times. So who is to say that being gay is against the Bible? Jesus never talks of homosexuality but he is absolutely set in stone that divorce is against God’s will.
(question) “You mentioned religious people. They will say things like, look, both the Old and New Testaments in the Bible are very clear about this: God intended marriage to be between a man and a woman” says David Masci an interviewer from “The Pew Forum, on religious and public life”. (An Argument For Same-Sex Marriage…)
(answer) “If you do biblical marriage, then you’re talking about polygamy. It’s there in black-and-white. Or, you’re talking about, for heaven’s sake, no divorce. Jesus himself had nothing to say about homosexuality, but he’s very clear on divorce. You can’t do it. And what I don’t understand is why gay people are the only people in America who have to follow biblical law. I don’t think that’s fair. We could also have other debates about what the Bible does and doesn’t mean, but I think what it boils down to is that gay people should deal with the same standards as straight people. And when straight people start upholding biblical law in civic culture, then maybe gay people should consider it, but not until then.” Jonathan Rauch says his piece about biblical marriage. (An Argument For Same-Sex Marriage…)

The fact that if someone told you you can’t be with the one you love, that would be against your civil rights. If you were told that you couldn’t be with the one you loved then you would feel trapped and would be more likely to commit crimes or strike out. Seen in all sorts of cases and even written about. Two adult lovers should be able to do as they wish without consequence of people hating them for it. “If California can rewrite it’s constitution to specifically target gays and lesbians, then whose civil rights are next?” asks Ed Reggi a gay rights leader. (Zahn) Organizations are popping up in all 50 states in a rally to get supporters together to fight the courts decisions. Rallies have been held in Arizona, Florida, and California at simultaneous times on one Saturday to get the point across. Some protesters hold signs reading different thing but they all are fighting for the same cause. “Love and Unity not hate” is an example of one and some others say “Love is unconditional”. A chant used in Florida was "Gay, straight, black, white; marriage is a civil right." (CNN)

Homosexuality is not changeable. It is not a disease and it is not a lifestyle. It is simply how a person is. They can’t change, alter, or give up being a homosexual. It is embedded into their brains. If they are forced to choose straight or not at all it can harm their mental health and drive them mad essentially. It could cause them to be promiscuous and can further spread diseases such as HIV, AIDS, and a lot of other STDs. Allowing gays to marry could really slow down the spread of STDs. Also it could help lower the Suicide rate and would over all better our nation. Married couples are proven to bring in more revenue and are proven to spend more, because they have a spouse to get money from.
Allowing gays to marry and marry peacefully would over all end this struggle. Why would someone have a problem with someone else being happy? To finally end this argument on my part letting gays marry would be just as refining to our nation as letting slaves free. They would make a live for themselves and do it happily as you do on a normal basis. “I’m absolutely convinced that the arc of history bends towards inclusion, and that we have taken maybe a step backward, and we’re gearing up for another couple of steps forward,” says Reverend Russel about pro-gay marriage. (Mike O’Sullivan)

Works Cited

CNN “Same-Sex marriage rallies stretch across Nation”
    CNN.com 16 November 2008, 16 December 2008
    <http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/15/same.sex.marriage/>

Drew Zahn “Queerly Beloved”
          WorldNet Daily 15 November 2008, 2 December 2008
          <http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=80220>

Mike O’Sullivan “Gay Marriage Debate continues in California”
          VOAnews.com 18 November 2008, 19 November 2008
          <www.voanews.com/english/2008-11-18-voa1.cfm >

Holy gently caress Me It"s Been Too Long!!

#2 2009-02-28 00:42:48

wolfsongx

Re: My Position Paper.

I agree with some of your points there.  How not being allowed to be with the one you love is a violation of civil rights, and that homosexuality is not a disease that needs a cure.  I don't agree with what was said about the Bible, I have very strong views on that subject.  Other than that I agree with you and think you did a good job.  smile

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#3 2009-02-28 10:21:50

MIXXDUP

Thanks. I did most of my bible research on the internet and then read a few passages my self. I still don't see where he says it other than a few points that weren't directly stating homosexuality was a sin. But yeah thanks.

#4 2009-03-01 01:10:04

wolfsongx

True, I've been doing some research on this and some passages used to condemn homosexuality are called into question about their meaning.  It sucks that the English language is inadequate when it comes to some things.  I guess I will need to learn Hebrew, Sanskrit, and Greek then.

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#5 2009-03-01 02:01:05

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

I agree, it should be right for you to marry, but it's hard to stop people from disliking you, because you're different, and survival says that's a threat. If there's fandom, there's hatred.

<3

#6 2009-03-01 19:38:40

MIXXDUP

Yeah. I'm just sadly dissapointed in our society. Thank god for the three states (massachusetts, maryland, connecticut) and Canada. I really hope Obama is gay. I want him to hopefully change our nation.

Edited there. I really hope Obama is gay. It is kinda childish to believe so but i can hope (look at the national inquirer) It has and article about Obama's "sex scandals!"

Last edited by MIXXDUP (2009-03-03 23:15:36)

#7 2009-03-03 08:29:47

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

MIXXDUP wrote:

I really Obama is gay.

What?!

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

Board footer