#26 2008-11-07 08:18:28

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

Re: Discussing plot points.

-Spike- wrote:

Niktoma wrote:

-Spike- wrote:

Thanks alot smile glad to have the advice. I was thinking about bringing in a Nazi werewolf. I think that would really get the plot going. choose between his kind or his morals. OHHH thats good. But i ws also thinking of making his kill off some of his allies. I dunno we'll see where it takes us. big_smile Uhh, I'm really coming up with it as I go. But I do compare how my ideas would affect the story thoughout the day. I am aware that the story contains mostly short posts with a slow intro, I'm currently working on that. Thanks again for the support! big_smile However Im a bit unclear how to display it in .PDF format sad

I kind of like the idea of a Soviet Werewolf.  On paper, they would be on the same side, but would they really be allies?

Nah, Soviets were communists. Germany had a fascist government which despised classless societies (communism). In WWI, the Russians were to be INVADED by Germany after Germany completed taking over France (The Shlieffen Plan), Russsia being allies of France, were to begin fighting the Germans and THEIR allies. I don't want to give an entire history lesson but before WWII, Hitler came into power with a fascist government and the fight with Russia began again. BUT the idea of a Soviet werewolf is amazing, it would be HIGHLY unrealistic for them to be allies unless they were personal friends or otherwise.

Quite obviously, I meant introducing a Soviet werewolf, instead of a Nazi werewolf.

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#27 2008-11-15 23:57:38

Randomwolf42
Random Wolf [Moderator]
Website

In the book that I'm writing (it's not posted here on the cafe),  the werewolves are just basically ordinary people who can turn into wolves at will. There is also another much rarer type of character who is basically human (not a werewolf) but has some weird mental abilities (telekinesis, limited teleportation, etc) and, of course, ordinary humans. Werewolves are generally accepted in society except there is a certain political group known as the "Hegemony" who has convinced several countries to join it and immediately begins persecuting the werewolves ( uh, concentration camps, need I say more?) The main group of characters move from where they are living and (and going to school) in rural Ontario to Russia to stay with a respected doctor and scientist as part of an 'exchange program' (actually to get them out of the country  before things get bad,*spoiler* although they go back later *spoiler*) The story generally takes place in the modern world with a few changes (instead of collapsing, the USSR gets their act together and actually becomes the idealistic society they would've had people believe. Its a generally democratic society with less restrictions on public thought and opinion. They changed their name back to Russia but still kept the hammer and sickle as their emblem "because it looks really cool". Also the "Hegemony" is based somewhere in Texas and is a valid political party in the US in the novel's universe.

#28 2009-01-09 12:11:08

Cap'n Edward
Website

Well, I came up with me own twist of this whole thing: a crew of pirates whose captain is a werewolf eventually becomes both crew and a pack of werewolves. The werewolves in me story have two things in comon with vampires: first, they're immortal unless stricken with their weakness, which I use the classic silver in me story and second, they have to be turned. Your heritage makes a difference (what kind of werewolf ye will become, etc.) but no one's ever born a werewolf; the gift of immortality shouldn't just be given away. That's another thing; in this story werewolves are like many other things: some became werewolves willingly, others didn't know what was happening but were glad for the change and some were turned by a rabid wolf (because ye can be turned either by werewolves or rabid wolves in some cases) and believe their condition to be a curse.

I was influenced by a few incarnations of werewoloves, like for example the werewolves from Underworld, the werewolf from Harry Potter (Lupin) and the werewolves from-dare I say it- Twilight. As such, the wolves I'm writing about have a mixture of attributes from all three in the sense that, though it is possible for a werewolf to mantain his or her conscience after transforming, it can also be a mindless transformation that sends the wolf into a killing spree unless stopped. I put a lot of emphasis on the moon here; it decides many things, like for example the size, color of fur and which senses are more accute as well as how likely it is to keep control over yer actions as a wolf. A wolf under the new moon has dark brownish-red fur, is the size of a regular wolf and has keen eyesisht, an incredible sense of smell, impeccable hearing and a sharp mind. Under the quarter-crescent moon the fur turns full brown and though the sense of smell is still very strong, its eyesight doesn't need to be as powerful and this phaze is characterized by an increase in strength. On a half full moon they turn into human height wolves of brown fur, as strong as a vampire but with a canine sense of smell, as well as with a highly accute sense of smell. By now its vision is normal and it can still keep control of its actions with relative ease. Once the moon is three quarts full is when it begins to get complicated. The fur turns white and the wolf is easily the size of a small bear, with muscle strong enough to knock down a tree in one ramming. It is at its fastest phaze and has canine sense of smell coupled with harder teeth. A werewolf that transforms in this phaze of the moon has trouble keeping control, but its head is still clear. And then there's the full moon. In this phaze the wolf is as big as a bear, or if an Alpha, at least a foot taller than a bear, whith blue-ish white fur. The werewolf is at its strongest, capable of destruction like on no other phaze, diamond hard teeth, eagle sharp eyes, strong sense of smell and extremely sensitive hearing, but it is the hardest phaze in which to keep control over its actions and often those who are first turned on the full moon lose their minds. They rampage through towns and awake the next morning with nary a memory except when they were bitten.

I have no class--I remembered as I walked the streets of San Juan--tonite I'm just an undead pirate captain. And me crew's all I have.

#29 2009-01-12 00:43:52

punxnotdead

Ooo, that's very interesting. Will you be posting your story here?

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#30 2009-01-14 11:58:16

Cap'n Edward
Website

punxnotdead wrote:

Ooo, that's very interesting. Will you be posting your story here?

I will, actually:) I posted one chapter of sorts today. On the description of half moon I mentioned sense of smell twice >.> sry for the redundance.

I have no class--I remembered as I walked the streets of San Juan--tonite I'm just an undead pirate captain. And me crew's all I have.

#31 2009-01-19 00:58:19

Dira
Nightwalker werewolf illustrator

Werewolves in general, and werewolf anatomy: What kind of Werewolf do you write? First off they form into the wolf man, but once attacked they turn into  the Anothropomorphic type that can talk as well, when a werewolf changes his her own gender they become a werewolf's zombie. but when a human kills a werewolf they lose their shadow. They come in different fur types, Brown, white and black, depending on the personality. Theychange with the moon into a werewolfman and then they form into the full werewolf. Wolfsbane is their enemie, it is the nightshade plant and wolfsbane that blooms on an atumn moon then the person who has been bitten a few month ago, becomes a werewolf for the first time.  They blugeon the humans half to death to transform them into a werewolf witha  bite of the teeth and the saliva go into the blood stream, pain streams through the human. A ritual can be done as well with mixing the nightshade plant with different contents. The birth, there is no birth the werewolves are steril.

Setting and Genre:
War and fear on the earth during the modern times. Werewolves and monster had sprung up on different contents. It is settled in the town of Deross. First off the werewolf changes Josh and tries to give him eternal life, a hunter called Reece tries killing the wolf, but fails. Josh turns into a zombie werewolf and Lutra and he goes for a hunt and then when the autmn moon comes the form of him is shown.

Writing tips & tricks, including writing styles: Telling a story isn't bad, give it some umfh for the hook line and sinker

#32 2009-03-08 09:20:50

Kate94

Werewolves in general, and werewolf anatomy:
What kind of Werewolf do you write? 
    The story I am currently writing involves the werewolves being in the form of a wolf. They are born a werewolf but a person can be changed into one on the night of a full moon but I don't know how yet. (I'll figue that out later on!) They change purely by their will, if they wish to become one they do or if they suddenly feel a emotional change e.g they become very angry they change. My wolves also live for eternity unless they are killed. Salem is the lord of the wolves, he was the one who created his army of wolves. Some of the wolves follow his example bringing humans form the mortal world into the other mystical world and change them although some are against his motions.

Setting:

Well my book is first set in the past. My main character, who is little at the time, witnesses the death of her family by these strange shape shifiting wolves. They find her and take her down to the beach - the shapeshifters are able to transport themselves to the mystical world by water. In the mystical world it is set in the present/future e.g they have cars etc. It is partly like the normal world although there are mystical elements to it.

Genre:
Dark, Mysterious, Supernatural and even romance.

Haha, I've explained my story much more complicated than it acutally is...

Writing tips: 
Try to be original on the plot because so many stories have been written about the same things try to give your story a personal twist.
Try to make your characters believable - if they are people can relate to them

There's not a right way or a wrong way to right a story. You don't HAVE to include sense of smell etc in every chapter. Just try to make it really detailed and engrossing for the reader, that way they'll want to find out more big_smile

#33 2009-09-25 20:33:39

stoicfortitude

I have a writers block. I need a name for a city. It will come into play later in the story but I'm really woried about it.

Onanother note, I believe werewolves should be bipedal but still able to be able to walk on all fours (besides, its more manacing). Thetransformation(the first time) is extremly painful but becoming easier and less painfull each time, eventually receding into a burning ache.The transformation is influenced by the moon, becoming mandatory on the full moon and nearly impossible on the new moon(sorry but i don't know my phases yet). Their powers, if any, are also influenced by the moon.Lycanthropy is transferable by a bite and they are guided by instinct and an grow uncontrollable, but they ussually assert self control.They are tall and muscular, ussually apr. 8 ft. tall, and are influenced by thir heritage. tell me if i missed anything.

also, some musings.
to view through our minds eye your idea is constantly shifting, translating into the image. draw it or see it, and it becomes concrete. I view it as a mjor flaw in human nature.

Also, how many can get lost in thier thoughts in seconds, feel wat your thinking and going so far as to get angry if thats what your thinking about, to your surprise at the end of your imaginings (it happened to me in a school hallway and actually i balled my fists and i think i wanted to harm or kick something. the mysterious rage disapeared as soon as i consciosly thought about it.also, does  anybody else find it impossible to name feelings?)

Last edited by stoicfortitude (2009-09-25 20:45:35)

#34 2009-09-25 21:07:19

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

stoicfortitude wrote:

I have a writers block. I need a name for a city. It will come into play later in the story but I'm really woried about it.

City Name suggestions:

Nemopolis
New Brenton
Cedar
Klein
Ferrier
Mason
Schwartzberg (comedic)

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#35 2009-09-25 21:28:01

stoicfortitude

actually, Literary Lycanthrope, something oldish(not to old). I also have a problem with being a perfectionist. keep in mind its a werewolf city.

#36 2009-09-26 00:04:59

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Then how about Lycanthropia?
Or Lupen?
Or Wolven?
Or Tarvall?
Or Garute?
Or Genalla?
Or Grahstoke?
Or Garr?

Last edited by Grayle (2009-09-26 00:07:07)

#37 2009-11-13 06:58:39

SilentStrider

Here's one of my questions... Why is that we so often find werewolves and vampires as vehement enemies?
Where does their deep hatred for one another come from?

You may not have exactly these same issues in your story, but for mine it's something I like to use and develop.

For an answer I look back into the distant past of my fictional world and examine the origins of vampires.  Their creation was not a natural phenomena.  Essentially they were magically engineered to fight in long ago forgotten war of which magic was a widely used weapon.  The vampires were made as sort of an infiltrator.  They were designed to take over a city from within and dominate the population, but were meant to obey their creators and relinquish their control over the city when the wizards that created them arrived.  This worked well in the beginning, but eventually vampires found a way to break free of the controls placed on them and rapidly spread like an epidemic.  I have more details about this written in my notes.

Vampires quickly got out of control and whatever the original reason for the initial war was forgotten so that humanity could collectively face this new threat.  Many different methods were tried to combat these monsters.  Some worked better than others, but what proved to be most affective was another type of magically engineered warrior… were-creatures.  Of all the many different types of were creatures that were made the werewolves (for what ever reason) were the most preferred.  During their whole creation process a strong animosity toward vampires was ingrained into them, and throughout generations after generations this artificially created hatred still exists.

This is just my idea that I’m working with, and there are a few more details involved, but tell me what you think.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2009-11-13 07:01:13)

#38 2009-11-23 11:07:39

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

Quick question, completely unrelated to anything I'm posting here.

I need a way for a time traveller from the future to quickly and easily prove beyond a doubt that he is, in fact, from the future, and not at all crazy.  In the circumstances of the story, he cannot take someone into the future, or show anyone any interesting bits of advanced technology.  He's pretty well-acquainted with this time period, but he is from several centuries in the future.

Any ideas?

'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#39 2009-11-23 14:17:22

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

1. A previous time traveler from the future told them to expect his arrival, since he is an expert on that time period.

2. The people from the past verify the chronometric wavelengths in his atomic structure are older by several centuries, as compared to all other atoms in the universe.

3. They travel into the future first and recognize him.

4. Their own time experiments caught his attention, and their data proves he followed their probe into the past.

5. He is telepathic, showing the truth from his own memories.

Just a few ideas.

#40 2009-11-24 09:10:21

furball

Stoic- In order to name feelings, you must be able to allow yourself to be aware of them and to experience them fully. And yes, I can name many feelings, and know what they are through my personal experience.
The incident you describe is a reaction. This occurs quickly, and it seems to take no thought. In reality, there is an interpretation between what you saw and how you acted. Once you thought about it, it eased up. Close examination will show that thoughts always occur between an observation and an action, and that these thoughts determine how we will act. You can work to slow the process down so that the interpretations are conscious before you act. It makes life a lot easier!

#41 2009-12-10 06:38:33

SilentStrider

I'm looking for some ideas about how to describe a human transforming into a werewolf. 

The type of werewolf is the bipedal with a wolf head. 

The scene that this takes place in is of strong violence, an element of chaos, and a fast pace.  The individual transforming isn't yet comfortable with his werewolf form, and at this point in the story development he blacks out and an alter ego takes conscious control.  I haven't yet decided if in this scene he retains conscious control over his werewolf form for a few seconds or not.

I'm not sure how much of that background description is necessary, but the basic thing I'm looking for is some examples of describing a transformation.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2009-12-10 06:51:45)

#42 2009-12-15 11:43:36

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

Grayle wrote:

1. A previous time traveler from the future told them to expect his arrival, since he is an expert on that time period.

2. The people from the past verify the chronometric wavelengths in his atomic structure are older by several centuries, as compared to all other atoms in the universe.

3. They travel into the future first and recognize him.

4. Their own time experiments caught his attention, and their data proves he followed their probe into the past.

5. He is telepathic, showing the truth from his own memories.

Just a few ideas.

I like these ideas, especially the second one.  It has just enough technobabble to bring back fond memories of Levar Burton.

#43 2010-01-11 05:11:51

SilentStrider

Anyone know of some good examples of angelic descriptions?  I'm searching for some samples.  I'm having difficulties with the description of one of my characters.  I was very disappointed with myself in the way I've tried to describe her, so I'm looking for some help and guidelines to inspire me.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-01-11 05:12:31)

#44 2010-01-21 05:39:22

SilentStrider

Disregard my previous post.  I think I managed to stumble my way through it. smile

I found Taylor Swift's face to be a great source of inspiration for the type of description I was going after.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-01-22 07:41:18)

#45 2010-01-25 05:28:09

SilentStrider

I don't know if this is the best place to ask this question, seeing how there doesn't seem to be much activity in this spot due to the time gap between recent posts, but I'm going to start off asking my question here and see if it get's any responses...

The subject is immortality.  From a writer's point of view, how do you think and feel a character who has lived through several centuries should act and think?  Most importantly, how do you think they might view the rest of the world that mainly consists of mortals?  For the sake of simplicity, should the discussion get in depth, let's use a history backdrop of our own world.

This question has always been a fascinating and complicated subject for me to deal with, and I have always felt it even more intriguing for mortal beings, such as us, to try and comprehend a concept of living an incredibly long life, and trying to come to terms with how it would alter our perspective.

One of my many reasons for throwing this question up here is because I have an important vampiric character in my story who has lived for more than five centuries, and I'm always interested in hearing input on how to portray such a complicated character.  I'd like to wait to read what some of you all think before I write some of my viewpoints and opinions.  So, come on people!  Let's get some input, and see what kind of an imagination you all have, and jump start some interesting topic disscussions.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-01-25 05:32:41)

#46 2010-01-25 05:34:11

lonewolf13

SilentStrider wrote:

I don't know if this is the best place to ask this question, seeing how there doesn't seem to be much activity in this spot due to the time gap between recent posts, but I'm going to start off asking my question here and see if it get's any responses...

The subject is immortality.  From a writer's point of view, how do you think and feel a character who has lived through several centuries should act and think?  Most importantly, how do you think they might view the rest of the world that mainly consists of mortals?  For the sake of simplicity, should the discussion get in depth, let's use a history backdrop of our own world.

This question has always been a fascinating and complicated subject for me to deal with, and I have always felt it even more intriguing for mortal beings, such as us, to try and comprehend a concept of living an incredibly long life, and trying to come to terms with how it would alter our perspective on life.

One of my many reasons for throwing this question up here is because I have an important vampiric character in my story who has lived for more than five centuries, and I'm always interested in hearing input on how to portray such a complicated character.  I'd like to wait to read what some of you all think before I write some of my viewpoints and opinions.  Let's read what you all think, shall we?

if you look at it very closly there is no true immortality. vampiers clam to be immortal, but they can still die. what we human think is immortality is just a very long life span. hope this helps
smile

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. ...In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth...."
    Alphonse Elric --- Fullmetal Alchemist

#47 2010-01-25 07:14:18

SilentStrider

True.  At least in my opinion I'd have to agree with you Lonewolf.  I don't believe in immortals being able to live forever (unless you count Captain Jack from Torchwood as immortal), because they are all able to still experience death.  But more importantly what I'm interested in hearing about is what you think about how a long lived being views the world.  Try to imagine if you will how different they would see the passage of time.

Take the Highlander series for example, and the adventures of the immortal, Duncan McCloud (not sure if I got his name spelled correctly).  What might it be like to endure a life where you out live everything.  Your friends, and loved ones would all die as you remain young and healthy.  And lets just say for the sake of argument our said immortal has had children that are mortal, then they would have to go through life watching their children grow old and die, and their children's children, and so on, and so on.  They could potentially out live generations upon generations of their family.  How might that affect a person mind?  I guess one possibility might be that they would want to become more distant and not involve themselves emotionally.  But, there are also other outcomes and subjects that can be touched upon.  What are some ideas you can think of to contribute?

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-01-25 07:15:52)

#48 2010-01-26 23:13:23

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

An interesting take on this appears in the film "The Man from Earth".  It involves a man who has lived through all of recorded history, and a great deal, if not all, of human prehistory.  He does make a claim in the film that a lot of people would find ridiculous, and some would find downright offensive, but aside from that, it does offer a few insights as to how this would psychologically affect someone.

One idea I found particularly intriguing was the idea that an 'immortal' would find it difficult to adapt to the various and constantly changing mindsets of the periods through which he lived, and thus, might appear eccentric, old-fashioned, or conspicuously ignorant of 'modern' ideas.

I found it available from Netflix on Instant View, but I'm sure someone with internet skills could dig it up.

#49 2011-06-08 05:37:46

Collision

New here smile
I'm working on a werewolf book that is loosely inspired by a combination of Werewolf: the Forsaken and Collide's Some Kind Of Strange album. The thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out exactly why the things that happen around my main character are happening.
The only thing I really took from W:tF is the whole concept of a werewolf needing to be bitten before their transformation can happen. My character has no idea she is/has the capacity to be a werewolf, but when she crosses paths with a pack, they know, and one bites her. It goes a little bit further than that, though. They take some of her blood, which is shared between all of them, and inject her with a combination of the blood of the whole pack, in an attempt to bind her to them. They want her to become the Luna of their pack, which is the female counterpart to the Alpha position. I need some help fleshing all that out, however.
For example, how do they know she's the one they need? How do they choose her? What would be the exact effect of the exchange of blood? Is it too cliche for her to have some kind of important werewolf ancestry that shes not aware of, but that would drive werewolves to want her on their side?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated smile

#50 2012-06-11 05:25:28

autobot95

Hey guys.
I'm new here, obviously. I've been writing short werewolf stories for about 2 or 3 years now. Posted on my deviantart page.
Personally, I prefer the full moon werewolf curse type of stories, so thats what I write about.

Anyway, I'm looking for any story ideas or concepts involving this type of scenario. I have some ideas, but am looking for something fresh and new to try.
Any ideas for me?

Board footer