The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-13 19:59:44

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

What is therianthropy to you?

Therianthropy has alot of different meanings to different people, which can complicate a subject that's already hard to explain.  So I was thinking that, as is usual with new Therian discussion places, we could go around and talk about how we describe Therianthropy and how it feels to someone who has never heard of it, but is open to hearing about it.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#2 2009-03-13 20:22:22

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Re: What is therianthropy to you?

Well, to me, it's not the instincts, it's not the 'abilities' or 'aspects'. It's the little wolf inside you. Or Raccon. Or Coyote. Or fox, panda, tiger, lion, panther... you get the point(s).

<3

#3 2009-03-14 14:33:34

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

I think it's just a brain thing, as I've said before - some kind of (probably genetic) overactive 'primal' centre of the brain, which we filter using our personalities to determine our theriotype.

It's something you're born with, but definitely manifests in different behaviours and/or feelings as, of course, these things show up differently from person to person. It's a cross cultural, race, and religion phenomenon, but I think many people do not choose to acknowledge it as such, or else they label it differently (for example, I don't tell people I am a therian, I tell them that I have an animal alter ego) or they are posers and just want to be therians because its the 'cool' thing.

One or the other XD

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#4 2009-03-16 13:23:12

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

I just started rooting around on tinternets looking for information about 'real' werewolves, purely as an interest thing, and it turned up several sites like this where I read about therianthropy and went 'whoa...hang on... that sounds like me, but I didn't realise they had a name for it these days!' before that time in my head I used to refer to my therianthropy as just my animal alter ego. But yeah, its surprising what a bit of trawling around can turn up.

#5 2009-03-16 17:05:40

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

GhostDog wrote:

A little off topic, a lot of people who want to be werewolves, or think werewolves are cool, think they are therians. It may be an age thing - those who would like to be werewolves at a young age, I think, may grow out of calling themselves therian - but I was a very mature thirteen year old when I discovered therianthropy.

Exactly why I'm not yet ready to say wether I am or not, even though I have some good friends who keep saying "Don't worry, you are."

I just don't want to be a wannabe with something like this.

<3

#6 2009-03-16 18:59:43

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

GhostDog wrote:

A little off topic, a lot of people who want to be werewolves, or think werewolves are cool, think they are therians. It may be an age thing - those who would like to be werewolves at a young age, I think, may grow out of calling themselves therian - but I was a very mature thirteen year old when I discovered therianthropy.

Yeah, that's a major thing between Furries and Therians, and one of the misconceptions that makes it hard to explain.  It's not something you can decide to be or not be, and it is a deep and personal thing.

LycanJayBoy wrote:

Exactly why I'm not yet ready to say wether I am or not, even though I have some good friends who keep saying "Don't worry, you are."
I just don't want to be a wannabe with something like this.

Eh, I don't think you should be listening to others on this.  If you are one, you should know for yourself, they shouldn't be able to tell.  Statistically, it's not likely you are.  What makes you think you are one?

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#7 2009-03-16 19:24:27

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Not on the forum..

But some close friends.

<3

#8 2009-03-17 19:04:22

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

LycanJayBoy wrote:

Not on the forum..
But some close friends.

Actually, I assumed that.

#9 2009-03-20 20:26:34

LerangFang

To me therianthropy is a curse in the form of an animal, in my case a very Feral wolf. I usually get really stressed out whenever I'm around my paranoid friend. And then I begin mental shifting, which I've learned to control so I don't have very bad episodes.

And as for Furrie people wanting to be Therians/Werewolves, or even comparing Furries to Therians, doesn't really work. Like Diabetes or HIV, It's something you get and shouldn't really want to begin with.

Oh, and I don't mind furries BTW.

You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit on the mount of assembly on the heights of Zaphon; I will ascend to the tops of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High."
Obviously that didn't work too well now did it lucie? =/

#10 2009-03-20 21:01:57

LerangFang

GhostDog wrote:

I see how that could apply to me. I mean, over the years I've gotten so used to having shifts that when they're gone, when all the usual things that induce them don't, I get incredibly stressed. Of course, I'm so used to them that I think something's not right or wrong. I went through a shift-less time around the middle of last year, and I felt horrible. As if I was trapped in my own skin without any way to get 'out', so to speak.

Point being, in some way I can see therianthropy being a sort of curse. But it's it's own cure, too. Shifting makes me feel better after a long day, when I need to relax or when I just can't stand being human any more, you know? So, it's a kind of curse, but it's also a kind of gift.

But that's shifts themselves, of course. Before I took the question literally and said what the word 'Therianthropy' meant.

Ye I can see what you mean. In My Opinion, be thankful you're a dog. I hate the shifts, I get on edge. Rage that refuses to be tapped yet boils over into my mind.

I kind of feel like that too, but in a way I fear my wolf side. I've always associated that with my temper, my rage, my blood lust. I know that isn't a good mentality, but that's been my life.

You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit on the mount of assembly on the heights of Zaphon; I will ascend to the tops of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High."

#11 2009-03-21 01:56:28

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Dude, sounds like you're getting intense amounts of stress, and havn't found a suitable output for it.

<3

#12 2009-03-21 07:43:29

LerangFang

LycanJayBoy wrote:

Dude, sounds like you're getting intense amounts of stress, and havn't found a suitable output for it.

My friend has Aspergers, He's paranoid as hell. He's having to get a CT scan because he had a few bad concussions. Not to sound snappy but i got good reason sad

#13 2009-03-21 07:58:01

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

My shifts tend to come without warning in certain circumstances, most recently the other night on a late-night walk through the woods it suddenly took me by surprise and I found myself bounding along in the dark, totally ruled by the inner animal and picking instinctual paths. If I don't shift for a while, I might get headaches, but my decisions to shift are never conscious, it seems.

#14 2009-03-21 11:57:36

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

LerangFang wrote:

LycanJayBoy wrote:

My friend has Aspergers, He's paranoid as hell. He's having to get a CT scan because he had a few bad concussions. Not to sound snappy but i got good reason sad

Hah, so does my friend. It's kind of annoying, but I want to help him. He can't talk to my friends, who he doesn't know, because he's too shy and afraid.

Any tips? I mean, I've been trying to start conversations, and I want him to talk while talking with my friends (over XBL). It's a bummer, because I feel like I'm having fun while he's freaking out.

<3

#15 2009-03-21 15:42:39

LerangFang

LycanJayBoy wrote:

LerangFang wrote:

LycanJayBoy wrote:

Hah, so does my friend. It's kind of annoying, but I want to help him. He can't talk to my friends, who he doesn't know, because he's too shy and afraid.

Any tips? I mean, I've been trying to start conversations, and I want him to talk while talking with my friends (over XBL). It's a bummer, because I feel like I'm having fun while he's freaking out.

My friend gets along well with me, but ye he gets annoying. He's into Hockey so he usually bugs me about games lol. IDK, start stuff about things he likes. Der's always somethign they're awesome at/

...It seems my whole personality is based on stress...>_<

Last edited by LerangFang (2009-03-21 15:43:31)

#16 2009-03-21 15:54:10

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

I hate hockey..

<3

#17 2009-03-21 16:09:14

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Topic Please.

Board footer