The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-22 12:55:14

Vancariad

The Pentagram?

Does the pentagram really have anything to do with werewolves or am I merely contributing to the Hollywood Image of Lycanthropy by including the whole "pentagram on left hand=next victim of the werewolf" thing?

That and I'm just interested in Pentagrams and draw them on my left hand all the time.  Can't hurt my chances right?

Charle Brown is NOT amused.

#2 2009-03-22 22:45:00

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

Re: The Pentagram?

lol its supposed to be the sighn of the werewolf

"In the time it took for you to walk down one little hallway,I went to London,got my head blown off,and came back."-Schrodinger-Hellsing "Now lets go die like mangy dogs!"-bernadotte-hellsing "Please Mr. Bernadette,do not smoke inside me."-Seras-hellsing

#3 2009-03-23 01:34:56

WolfVanZandt
Website

I have no particular interest in pentagrams. They make interesting geometric constructions and pretty Christmas ornaments.

#4 2009-03-23 01:38:29

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

The one good thing about Pentagrams.. all the triangles wink
lol

<3

#5 2009-03-23 06:28:39

LerangFang

I love pentagrams, they look cool. Just not when one of the points is straight down, that's the supposed sign of the church of Satan or sumthin.

You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit on the mount of assembly on the heights of Zaphon; I will ascend to the tops of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High."
Obviously that didn't work too well now did it lucie? =/

#6 2009-03-23 08:48:07

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

When it points down, it reminds me of either Diablo or some sort of anthro. The bottom being the mouth, two horns or ears, and two 'hair/fur' coming off the jaw.

<3

#7 2009-03-23 11:37:40

Vancariad

But I was wondering if it is actually of any importance to werewolf culture or if is just stupid Hollywood cliche lycanthropy?  I also was wondering if it is too cliche to have in my story?

#8 2009-03-23 12:54:20

Daninsky
Website

Moonfur wrote:

Actually, no, it's supposed to be the sign of the devil because a Pentagram set on its head resembles the outline of a Goat's head.

Vancariad wrote:

But I was wondering if it is actually of any importance to werewolf culture or if is just stupid Hollywood cliche lycanthropy?  I also was wondering if it is too cliche to have in my story?

Pentagrams are often seen used in conjection with magical conjurations, and in that way it would make sense to use but as a sign of the beast it makes only sense if you want to include allusions to the devil.
Otherwise it's just quaint Hollywood cliché that was done to death latest by Cursed author Kevin Williamson.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#9 2009-03-23 13:16:43

Vancariad

Tehn what other symbols good there be for my character?  I definately want him to be marked before hand.

#10 2009-03-24 08:46:55

Daninsky
Website

I think it depends on the direction you want to take, is it about inherited lycanthropy, bound to a magical means like a curse or is it an infection?

Shape your symptom/tell sign to meet the needed criteria, though if you go for a magical source you are pretty open to use anything you like. Just keep in mind that others would be likely to spot those signs as well so they would have either to be explainable or something that can be hidden without drawing too much attention.
No matter what you use and if it is a natural or magical cause, try to go for something that you could, if forced to, explain without sounding hokey in the context of your world setting.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#11 2009-03-24 17:18:43

anarchowolf

the pentagram stems from pagan rituals being the balance of nature, which of course was demonized by the early church, which is were you get both the demonic aspects of the lycan and superstitions involving the pentagram and the wolf.

As a walk through this world, i carry my life my soul and my purpose is my own. i am wolf and i am anarchist

#12 2009-04-21 23:04:53

Toreador82

Daninsky wrote:

Moonfur wrote:

Actually, no, it's supposed to be the sign of the devil because a Pentagram set on its head resembles the outline of a Goat's head.

Vancariad wrote:

Pentagrams are often seen used in conjection with magical conjurations, and in that way it would make sense to use but as a sign of the beast it makes only sense if you want to include allusions to the devil.
Otherwise it's just quaint Hollywood cliché that was done to death latest by Cursed author Kevin Williamson.

Actually the pentagram wit hthe goats head is an ancient pagan symbol that the catholic church took and used to make people fear pagans, a lot of the stuff that defines satanist today was started by the catholic church, in truth while I spoke to a pagan the fact the church did that and that satanic cults still use it, really angers them.  I forgot the name of their god it was meant to represent.  And I know the movie cursed abused it, but to sum this up it's actually an old pagan symbol representing one of their gods.

We enjoy the night, the darkness, where we can do things that aren't acceptable in the light. Night is when we slake our thirst."
-William Hill
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

#13 2009-04-24 18:42:04

lupen the wolf

I use the pentagram to symbolize the five elements; I think that stems from Wicca....

Anyway, if you want to mark your were beforehand then remember that it doesn’t have to be a physical mark, it could just as easily be a behavioral thing that makes him/her stand out.

ego sum quis ego sum....

#14 2009-04-24 19:21:40

Toreador82

lupen the wolf wrote:

I use the pentagram to symbolize the five elements; I think that stems from Wicca....

Anyway, if you want to mark your were beforehand then remember that it doesn’t have to be a physical mark, it could just as easily be a behavioral thing that makes him/her stand out.

You are right, it does represent the five elements, but it still was a representation long ago for an ancient pagan god.

We enjoy the night, the darkness, where we can do things that aren't acceptable in the light. Night is when we slake our thirst."
-William Hill
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

#15 2009-04-26 13:30:54

bdk336
Website

The pentagram has all sorts of associations, meanings and patterns both in the supernatural and geometric realms but as far as werewolves are concerned I believe the association only came about because they were both considered to be aligned with the devil

#16 2009-04-29 22:29:11

DebbieJason

Are  we talking about normal pentagrams or inverted ones? 'Cause normal pentagrams are usually a symbol for Wicca(witch magic) and inverted ones with a circle around it are usually conected to Satan or dark things

#17 2009-04-30 10:53:39

bdk336
Website

honestly all of the "evil" meanings associated with nearly anything, at least as far as meanings introduced by religion and religious groups, are just a mix of random misconceptions and stuff people made up or assumed and reflect their actual meanings only to the slightest extent.

Doesn't really matter which kind of pentagram we are talking about the association is very simple, it goes like this: 1. all evil is aligned with the devil 2. werewolves are evil 3. pentagrams are evil 4. werewolves and pentagrams are aligned with the devil 5. werewolves and pentagrams are related by mutual connection to the devil

If you want to know why there are so many misconceptions wherein different entities, both mundane and mythical, are associated by being evil, I hinted at it before. Basically, for the most part, you can blame the Catholic church.

#18 2009-04-30 17:19:28

Toreador82

DebbieJason wrote:

Are  we talking about normal pentagrams or inverted ones? 'Cause normal pentagrams are usually a symbol for Wicca(witch magic) and inverted ones with a circle around it are usually conected to Satan or dark things

The inverted one is actually an ancient pagan symbol that as mentioned earlier was taken by the catholic church and shown as a satanic symbol to make people fear pagans.

-William Hill
-Albert Einstein

#19 2009-05-01 08:45:44

bdk336
Website

Toreador82 wrote:

DebbieJason wrote:

The inverted one is actually an ancient pagan symbol that as mentioned earlier was taken by the catholic church and shown as a satanic symbol to make people fear pagans.

Exactly. Well that and thousands of other symbols too, of course the church actually used the useful ones in their own religion (much of the incorporation of pagan symbology into Christianity happened when Rome adopted the religion)

#20 2009-05-11 11:04:23

WerewolfLeaAnn

Well, I know this: lycanthropy, in Hollywood, is "supposed" to be of the devil. (goes back to people thinking that werewolves were inherently evil).
A good symbal is a wolf's paw print. it is not common in movies, or stories. i have seen it used once before (i, of course, have other ideas of werewolves signs, but will not tell you, they are ideas for my own book)
By they way, i also sometimes draw pentagrams (right side up, of course) on my left hand, but that is just cuz i'm trying to scare someone right now (haha, its kind of funny, they actually believe that i can shapeshift, and they wont mess with me, cuz they think i will unlease my wolf on them)
I actually know someone who has a birthmark of a pentagram on their left hand, and it is heriditary (of cousre it is pointing up, and is in no way for the devil), their father had one just like it.

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#21 2009-05-23 12:06:33

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Just another note, The association with the Devil was as others had stated began with the incorporation of Christianity into Roman Religion and to try and force the pagans into compliance with the new state religion. Today there are too many different interpretations, for example Wicca claims the symbol to be the five elements and for protection where as a Satanic Cult uses the reversed following the construction of the Christianity's take on the symbol, that it is the symbol of the Devil. Within your story you can take any number of stands upon this symbol and give the reader the meaning you want to use weather it is good or bad. It might even be interesting to leave that as a mystery to the reader in that it is up to them to decided its meaning. For example if the character is good and they have this symbol it would challenge that of the Satanic Cult and Christan view of the symbol causing individuals to question the integrity of their knowledge.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#22 2009-05-23 15:46:15

bdk336
Website

^basically what I was talking about I just didn't want to go into that much detail at the time.

#23 2009-05-23 17:37:49

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

I felt as much but the way it was broken up, I couldn't piece it all together very well, so I decided to write my own take which is very close to yours. Sorry if I repeated too much. wink

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#24 2009-05-29 17:45:46

WerewolfLeaAnn

well, the christian church, catholic, believed that wolves were demons in animal form.
read the book called "Of Wolves and Men" by Lopez (cant remember his first name is), it is a very good book about wolves.

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#25 2009-07-31 16:00:23

Kat Garoux

i think it all depends if it is to do with werewolves or not people can interpretate(sp?0 it how ever you want
a pentagrame set on it's head is suposed to be the sign of the devil
but when it is turned around (shaped like a star) it show union between fire,water,earth,air & spirit

I'm starting a book > Blessed

....blessed with the gift of Lycanthropy

Board footer