The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-04 20:56:43

SolitaryHowl

Female werewolf novels

Hello.

I have been prowling the internet for quite some time now for excellent werewolf novels which feature a female werewolf as the main character. I am a bit picky with my books, however...

I have just finished reading Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause and it is an excellent book (one of my favourites) but I haven't been able to find one like it.

I would love it if book titles (with the author name, of course) can be suggested that meet all (or most) of the following criteria.

1. Female werewolf as main character
2. Werewolves are not protrayed as 'evil bloodthirsty creatures' but they still have to keep their existence hidden.
3. I would really love it if a pack was involved somehow in the story.
4. The werewolves in the story look and act more wolfish in nature than the traditional werewolf.

I have ready the following werewolf stories so I would appriciate it if these titles wouldn't be suggested...

1. Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
2 Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
3. Twilight Saga (all except the last one) by Stephenie Meyer.
4. Shapeshifter by J.F Gonzalez
5. The Sight/Fell by David - Clement - Davies (Not werewolf stories, but the characters are all wolves.)

Thanks in advanced for any book titles that may be suggested. I don't care how much romance is in the novel(s), as long as they meet all (or most) of the criteria that I have already mentioned and the book is written reasonably well.

smile

#2 2009-02-05 07:15:05

SolitaryHowl

Re: Female werewolf novels

Thanks for the suggestions! smile

Those books look interesting, I'll have to take the time to research them further later today.

Any others?

#3 2009-02-05 11:02:21

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Kelley Armstrong has written 2 awesome sequels to 'Bitten' , called 'Stolen' and 'Broken'. They both feature Elena and her pack big_smile You might enjoy them

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#4 2009-02-05 11:46:37

ArcLight
Website

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series sounds right up your alley. Might not be quite as pack-oriented as you'd like but give it a shot.

I love 'em all and a new one is due out in a few weeks.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#5 2009-02-05 15:03:51

SolitaryHowl

The Kitty series sounds interesting, I'll add the first book to my rather small wishlist of werewolf books to see if I like the series.

I have read Bitten, and it was okay, but I didn't really like how Kelley Armstrong wrote. I mean, the book was funny at times but generally I just didn't like her style of writing.

Any other books? I have managed to get a few books on my list, but I don't know what they are about (I have tried researching and I couldn't come up with much information about them...) but I want to know if the following books are even close to the criteria that I listed in my first post...and no spoilers, please.

- Cry Wolf: An Alpha and Omega Novel
By: Briggs, Patricia

- Heart of the Wolf by Terry Spear

Thanks for all the help, guys! smile

Any more suggestions?

#6 2009-02-06 01:41:17

ArcLight
Website

I hope you like the Kitty book. I seriously dig them and particularly the way Kitty has evolved as a character over the course of the books so far.

I really liked the first couple of the Mercedes Thompson books (she's a coyote shapeshifter who hangs with werewolves, by the way) by Patricia Briggs. You might try the first Mercy book, MOON CALLED.

CRY WOLF takes place in the same world and picks up from a story in the anthology ON THE PROWL that, quite frankly, did nothing for me. I have the book but haven't read it yet. Which I know doesn't help much, but....

A couple of older books you might want to look out for are Melanie Tem's WILDING and an anthology called WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WEREWOLVES, edited by Pam Keesey. Oh, and WILDERNESS by Dennis Danvers. No pack, just a woman trying to lead a 'normal' life while being a werewolf.

Two books I haven't been able to force myself to finish were BAD BLOOD by L.A. Banks and DANCING WITH WEREWOLVES by Carole Nelson Douglas. Buyer beware on those, I guess.

In most of the newer books I've seen, werewolves and at least some of the other 'creatures of the night' are known to the general public so they won't quite fit that part of your criteria.

If I think of something else I'll post about it. And if you find anything cool, I want to hear about it. I think I can still squeeze another book or two into my 'werewolf shelf.'     smile

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#7 2009-02-08 12:05:02

SolitaryHowl

Everybody: Thanks for the suggestions! I went to Chapters on Friday and I picked up a couple of books. (A total of 5, I believe.) and I just finished reading Howling at the Moon by Karen MacInerney today. Great book, in my opinion. I'm just starting the sequel (On the Prowl)

I have started reading Cry Wolf, but so far it isn't catching my interest. The same with Through Wolf's Eyes. Does anybody know if those stories will pick up soon? I'm about an eight to a quarter through them...

I tried to pick up the Kitty books, but for some reason, every single book was sold out in the series. I couldn't even get my paws on one of them. Oh well, I'll get them some other time.

Last edited by SolitaryHowl (2009-02-08 12:05:47)

#8 2009-02-08 19:56:14

WiscWolf

One book that I found quite interesting and funny was "Lonely Werewolf Girl" by Martin Millar.

#9 2009-02-09 01:13:31

punxnotdead

Howling at the Moon (I just can't recall the author.) Good book so far, I quite enjoy it. smile

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#10 2009-02-11 08:50:34

Daninsky
Website

SolitaryHowl wrote:

I have started reading Cry Wolf, but so far it isn't catching my interest. The same with Through Wolf's Eyes. Does anybody know if those stories will pick up soon? I'm about an eight to a quarter through them...

Well, 'Cry Wolf' is a relationship centered story, it's more of  Paranormal Romance than Urban Fantasy, so if you're not much of a romance reader I'm afraid it won't get much better for you.
Patti's 'Moon Called' might be more to your liking.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#11 2009-04-15 16:40:43

fearless freak

i recomend the Riley Jenson series by Keri Arthur, just finished Deadly Desire

A rare hybrid of vampire and werewolf, Riley Jenson and her twin brother, Rhoan, work for Melbourne's Directorate of Other Races: an organization created to police the supernatural races and protect humans from their depredations.

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

Board footer