The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2006-06-17 09:49:42

JamieD

Re: Author Keri Arthur

do they come in strawberry??? ::Drools::

ask not for whom the bell tolls....it tolls for thee.

#27 2006-06-17 12:45:52

The Busboy
Administrator

They sound REALLY good!

#28 2006-06-17 12:49:48

The Busboy
Administrator

Keri, WOW they aren't even published in your native country, how wild is that?!  So you have to have them imported for your Family and Friends to read, WOW!  How did you even begin to go about getting published in another country then?  Also, what does "KEZ" stand for?  Do you like horror films?  If so, what kinds are your favorites?

#29 2006-06-18 04:48:35

kez

JamieD wrote:

I was also curious...how did you go about finding a publisher?

The usual way...submitting, submitting, submitting. wink

There's no easy way to get published, unfortuantly, and the only true trick in this business is not to give up and to keep writing, regardless. So many people get so close and yet give it up at the final hurdle. Me, I was seriously writing for 15 years before I got accepted.  I ended up going small press simply because there were no mainstream publishers taking what I wrote. Paranormal romances and urban fantasy was considered 'niche' and unmarketable. Of course, writers like  LKHamilton, Chritine Feehan, & JD Robb proved that theory wrong, and the rest of us have now benefited.

As to actually finding a publisher (as in, contact details), well, there's so many great resources out on the web. Places like preditors and editors, publishers marketplace, speculations, Hi Piers (for e-publishing),  and everyone who's anyone will give you details about publishers and agents.

#30 2006-06-18 04:52:37

kez

JamieD wrote:

do they come in strawberry??? ::Drools::

no strawberry. Beside the original, there's chewy caramel, double coat, dark, black forest fantasy, creamy truffle temptation and latte.

my personal favs are original, caramel, double coat and black forest. all very good served cold straight from the fridge big_smile

#31 2006-06-18 05:08:36

kez

The Busboy wrote:

Keri, WOW they aren't even published in your native country, how wild is that?!  So you have to have them imported for your Family and Friends to read, WOW!  How did you even begin to go about getting published in another country then?  Also, what does "KEZ" stand for?  Do you like horror films?  If so, what kinds are your favorites?

I haven't been published in Australia simply because the market here for dark urban fantasy has been appalling up until now (publisher wise, not buyer wise). A fact proven to me when--a few years before I was published-- I entered and finalled in the random house australia george turner prize (a fantasy comp that's no longer around). It apparently came down to a decision between me and another entrant. The editor actually told me they went for the other entry simply because while there was definitely a market for urban fantasy in australia, it was a market dominated by american releases. I felt like saying, well hello, maybe that's because no australian publisher would put out australian product!

so, I was forced to submit overseas. And it's really no different submission wise to submitting in australia--it just costs more in postage. Up until recently, australian settings were a sort of no-go area for genres other than category romance (harlequin loves aussie settings), and even when my agent (who I didn't get until after I had eleven books published) was submitting to bantam, she did tell me I might have to change the setting from melbourne to an american city. Thankfully, that didn't happen because bantam loved the setting.  Also, it makes more sense dollars wise for us to submit overseas, because australia is a small market, and america huge.

Kez is my nickname at home. Short for keri (aussies love shortening names--it's a national pastime) And no, I'm not big into horror films. Don't mind horror scifi (like alien) but true horror freaks me out. I do love to read it though--james herbert is fantastic (gross and seriously scary)

#32 2006-06-18 13:36:58

The Busboy
Administrator

Wow, you must have been very outgoing and very determined to get published, as it sounds like it was not an easy task to get published, what a great story, congratulations to you on all your accomplishments.  Regarding Australia, it just sounds so cool, I would like to go there someday, maybe even get a cool shortened name like that, ha, ha.  So, do you have any funny stories regarding your books (everyone has a funny story to tell).  Did you ever see "Muriel's Wedding"?  What did you think of it?  What are your favorite movies?  What is the genre of the future book projects are you working on?  You said you were working on different stages of three books right now, right?

#33 2006-07-09 03:23:17

kez

sorry I dropped off the map for a while there--had some more edits come in that had to be dones asap.

And sorry to disapoint you--but no funny stories about my books. Not yet, anyway.

didn't see muriel's wedding--premise didn't grab me. However, other aussie films I loved are gallipoli, mad max, two hands and the dish.

fav movies? There's a ton of them. If I had to name a few, then ALiens, boondock saints, the bourne movies, LOTR, gladiator, the x-men movies. There's also a ton of romantic comedies I enjoy, but I won't go into them

as of this moment, I'm edit free, so I'm only working on the one book. But I'm expecting more edits in soon.  All future projects are dark urban fantasy or urban fantasy at the moment

#34 2006-07-09 16:44:05

The Busboy
Administrator

That's wild, you like a lot of the same movies I like, I have "Gallipoli", all the "Mad Max" movies, "Boondock Saints" all the "Lord of the Rings" movies, "Gladiator" and all the "X-men" movies on DVD, too cool you like all those.  Congratulations on finishing all your edits and thanks for posting about the genre of your future books.  Please keep us posted on your developments, as we'ld really like to hear about them, thank you!

#35 2006-07-10 10:32:43

The Busboy
Administrator

kez, thought you might want to see this (it was posted in another forum topic/thread):

Midnight Grey wrote:

Well, in case there's anyone else from New Zealand reading this, the "Tooth and Claw" episode of "Doctor Who" (the one that
<---- this cute little guy appears in) should be screening on Prime TV at 7.30pm, Thursday 20th July.

For the Aussies out there (Roadie? Spacie? Keri?) I think yous get "Doctor Who" on the weekends, I know the first episode of the new run screened over the weekend but don't know whether it was "New Earth" (series 2, episode 1) or "The Christmas Invasion" (Christmas special between series 1 and 2). If it was "New Earth" you're likely to be seeing "Tooth and Claw" this weekend; if it was "The Christmas Invasion" you've got another week to wait.

#36 2006-11-15 22:07:55

kez

thanks for that. I've been in deadline hell, trying to get a darn book finished (which I did--phew!) and have managed to miss the new doctor who. But I hear it's very good (and will catch it on repeats--one thing you can always rely on with the abc smile )

#37 2006-11-15 23:03:42

The Busboy
Administrator

Hi Keri!  Glad to hear you got your book finished, congratulations!

#38 2008-11-17 19:21:34

Leanna

Keri, Can't wait to read the new book.   I miss Riley!! 

And congrat's on the reviews for Destiny Kills....I'm looking forward to reading it.

Leanna in SA
Alpha isn't just a title.

#39 2009-04-16 16:43:30

fearless freak

i just finished reading Deadly Desire and i can't wait for Bound To Shadows

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

Board footer