The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-20 02:42:34

faolchú
Website

The question I have hesitated to ask....

So, I've debated asking this question since the day I found the cafe, but I just have to ask it. Please forgive me if this has been posted before because I ate endless amounts of threads about the same thing (If there is another one it would work if you just redirect me)

Anyway, do you find that, when there is a full moon, you experience an increased..... shall we say..... sexual desire? Maybe I'm just another crazy person, but I found that as the moon strengthens I experience a large amount of desire, along with increased hunger, energy, I act more strangely,  and less control.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated guys!

"Werewolf!
Werewolf? 
There, wolf. There, castle." ~ Young Frankenstine

#2 2009-02-20 08:23:30

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Re: The question I have hesitated to ask....

Aye yes, although I've only really made the link between the moon phase and my increased animalistic-ness (word invention) very recently. Sexual desire tends to be a thing that increases whenever I'm shifting anyway... it's just the way I am. Kudos to you for being brave enough to ask this question by the way.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#3 2009-02-20 10:39:12

Daninsky
Website

That just means that you are lunatic. :p

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#4 2009-02-20 10:54:30

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

were all lunatics somewhat.or just crazy yay for the crazy ppl!!!

Last edited by Moonfur (2009-02-20 10:55:28)

"In the time it took for you to walk down one little hallway,I went to London,got my head blown off,and came back."-Schrodinger-Hellsing "Now lets go die like mangy dogs!"-bernadotte-hellsing "Please Mr. Bernadette,do not smoke inside me."-Seras-hellsing

#5 2009-02-20 11:40:29

faolchú
Website

Oh I knew I was a lunatic.

I figured that out one day whilst I was coloring in the blank parts of my mind with crayons.

Thanks for the Kudos ShadyHowl *puts kudos in kudos box*

"Werewolf!
Werewolf? 

#6 2009-02-20 11:56:46

Daninsky
Website

But seriously, scientifically it doesn't sound logic that it would be bound to the moon phases, those don't have any measurable effects on the human body.
It sounds rather like a monthly cycle that follows a preconception you have about your metabolism.

It's an interesting question, though.
Given that the historical werewolf didn't have anything much to do with the moon phases, it makes for an interesting question why a therian would feel affected by them?

I don't think that the mating bahaviour of wolves follows that cycle either, wild animals usually care more for the seasonal cycle in that regard.
Although, I think some kind of fish is actually affected by the tides.

Last edited by Daninsky (2009-02-20 12:16:02)

#7 2009-02-20 12:47:56

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

Who says human wants and desires need to be logical?  Although, to be honest, the time period we call a month has absolutely no basis in anything apart from the Moon. (Moon, Month, get it?  That trick works in a surprising number of languages.)  That being the case, anything going on a monthly cycle is, by default, related to the phases of the moon.

Since people have believed that keeping track of the phases of the moon is important for, literally, tens of thousands of years (ie: As long as people have thought of ANYTHING beyond basic survival as important), I think it might be safe to hypothesize that the Moon, as well as the Sun, is a zeitgeber, or external cue affecting biological rhythms.

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#8 2009-02-20 13:04:54

Daninsky
Website

Yeah I guess if human wants and desires were logical this world would be a better place most of the time. big_smile

Last edited by Daninsky (2009-02-20 13:14:02)

#9 2009-02-20 14:06:32

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

There's Moonfur trying to sell us as insane again >sad stop putting me in your bracket goddammit! I don't take kindly to being referred to as crazy. Well, truthfully I haven't measured my behaviour against the moon cycle very much. Perhaps the increased animalistic feelings just coincidentally coincide with the full moon occasionally and I'm measuring the standard by that. But the full moon exudes such a lot of natural beauty, maybe it's just tapping into some kind of primal brain circuit. I dunno.

#10 2009-02-20 16:48:42

faolchú
Website

Daninsky wrote:

Although, I think some kind of fish is actually affected by the tides.

Well seeing as the tides are affected by the moon....that makes me...... a fish? :p

It may have nothing to do with the moon. My body may just randomly run with the moon. We may never know. Maybe I am just a loon, but that makes it heard to be a fish..... lol

If anything I was never out to get an answer per se, but just to pose an interesting topic for discussion.

"Werewolf!
Werewolf? 

#11 2009-02-21 00:58:43

MoonShoes

Oh I get it now... a "Luna"tic   as in moon

#12 2009-02-21 19:11:25

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Humans are psychologically affected by the moon, like all other creatures.  It's not clear why this is, but animal mentalities change slightly during the full moon.  Your situation is only different in that you notice it.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#13 2009-02-22 09:24:08

Daninsky
Website

Actually there ain't any proof that animals at large are psychologically affected by the moon, or humans for that case.
There are no conclusive studies that would show any such evidence.
There are people that say that they can't sleep at or close to nights of the full moon, but in most cases it can't be replicated under clinical conditions.

"animal mentalities change slightly during the full moon"
How?
And how could that be judged if it was the case?
We could possibly observe a difference in behaviour, but to ascribe this to a change in animal mentality would be quite a jump wouldn't it?
We can barely explain or rationally observe human mentality at the best of times. tongue

#14 2009-02-22 12:50:57

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

The common proof is the fact that violent crimes happen significantly more often during the full moon.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#15 2009-02-22 15:53:42

Daninsky
Website

But there's no proof that violent crimes do peak out at nights of the full moon. There have been claims made to that end, but objective studies show no higher numbers of emergencies, rather most studies show that the numbers stay much the same as on any other night.

#16 2009-02-23 00:43:10

faolchú
Website

What we have yet to address is the "Mind over matter" possibility. If you can convince yourself of something it can be true. If you strongly believe that you are sick, you won't feel well whether you are ill or not. There have even been cases of people convincing themselves that they are a sexuality other than what they are. The fact of the matter is that one's frame of mind can effect them.

"Werewolf!
Werewolf? 

#17 2009-02-23 16:34:22

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

^ Agreed with the above 100%... however mind over matter does not extend to blanket impossibilities

#18 2009-02-23 21:50:40

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

MoonShoes wrote:

Oh I get it now... a "Luna"tic   as in moon

That's where the word comes from.  People used to think that the Moon held sway over people's mind, and so, people who were crazy would be called lunatics.

There is no reliable scientific evidence to support that crime goes up during a full moon, or anything like that.  However, if someone has difficulty sleeping during a full moon, it could simply be because it can be an awful lot brighter on nights with a full moon, sometimes even bright enough for people and objects to cast shadows.  If a person was particularly sensitive to light levels, it's totally conceivable that they would have a hard time sleeping during a full moon.

I wonder if any of those clinical conditions included bedrooms with windows.

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#19 2009-03-24 19:50:58

donpablo

i think that is possible because animals only desire to spred their genes around as much as possible. so yeah your relaying on animal instinc

#20 2009-04-29 22:37:01

DebbieJason

I think it could be an subconcious thing really, though I do understand what you mean. Even though I'm hungry all the time I do crave meat alot more around the full moon and I had my fisrt kiss under a full moon(with a vampire!o.O) so I say your expiriences arn't that strange at all. ^-^

#21 2009-04-30 10:28:43

bdk336
Website

I said this in another more recent thread too, the full moon is directly connected with, to put it generally, increased passion and desire (not only sexual) and decrease in judgment. In other words when there is a full moon all living things (or at least all animals) are more prone toward behavior commonly considered overly zealous and irrational. This is, to a very large extent, the reason for many myths surrounding the full moon including that of werewolves changing under it's influence.

#22 2009-05-07 11:01:36

WerewolfLeaAnn

Well, I have noticed that to. I m-shift on the full moon, and am more like an animal then. Including the instincts.
Nope, your not crazy. I am surprised, though, that someone actually got up the nerve to ask. I was wondering the same thing.
bravo, dude.

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

Board footer