The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-12 11:41:03

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

So I got word of this book a few weeks ago, maybe sometime in September, but never went back to check on it.  It involves a young boy whose parents have been killed, and who is being raised in a graveyard by, among other things, a vampire and a werewolf.

I think I'm going to check it out.  Amazon says it's a children's book, but they say the same thing about the Harry Potter books, and those are definitely more of a read than Green Eggs and Ham, which is also described as a children's book.  Apparently, there's alot of stretch in that classification.

Here's the link, if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Graveyard-Book-Ne … 0060530928

I'll let you guys know if I think it's worthwhile.  It's Neil Gaiman, and I have yet to find a single thing he's written that isn't worthwhile.

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#2 2008-11-12 14:02:58

Waldemar

Re: The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Niktoma wrote:

So I got word of this book a few weeks ago, maybe sometime in September, but never went back to check on it.  It involves a young boy whose parents have been killed, and who is being raised in a graveyard by, among other things, a vampire and a werewolf.

I think I'm going to check it out.  Amazon says it's a children's book, but they say the same thing about the Harry Potter books, and those are definitely more of a read than Green Eggs and Ham, which is also described as a children's book.  Apparently, there's alot of stretch in that classification.

Here's the link, if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Graveyard-Book-Ne … 0060530928

I'll let you guys know if I think it's worthwhile.  It's Neil Gaiman, and I have yet to find a single thing he's written that isn't worthwhile.

Yes, please let's know if it's worth a look Niktoma...I'd noticed this myself but was put off by the childrens book tag (I'm an old wolf you see!)

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

#3 2008-11-12 20:20:16

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

Well, I did check out the book today.  It's pretty short, three hundred or so pages.  For me at least, it was a quick read, it took up a few hours of my afternoon.

It is a children's book.  It's not cute, it's not fuzzy, but it is direct, without being simple.  I enjoyed it tremendously.  Sometimes, you come across an author who could write a grocery list and make it fascinating.  Gaiman can pack more imagery, characterization, and plot into half a page than some authors manage in an entire novel.  And, as usual, he manages an ending that gets you right in the ol' ticker, as a grandfather might say.  Some grandfathers, anyway, not mine, certainly.  It is the sort of book I would have loved as a child, one that, as an adult, I can appreciate, and as someone who writes from time to time, I can be somewhat envious of.

Granted, the bad guys ARE bad guys, they don't have much development, and you don't really find out anything real substantial in terms of their motivations and histories.  There are some parts which were dark, and might be frightening to younger or more impressionable children, and there were some very funny and entertaining aspects that might go quite far over some kids' heads.  The werewolf aspect was rather small, but it was different enough from the usual treatment of werewolves in children's literature that it will stick out in my mind.

All told, I'll read this book again.  I'm already making a list of any children I know who might enjoy it.  Definitely check it out, it was alot of fun, and quite a satisfying read.

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#4 2008-11-13 06:36:55

WolfMontana

Awesome scoop dude, I will check it out. I've read quite a few Gaiman graphic novels and love his writing.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#5 2009-05-18 11:58:36

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Very neat, I haven't had a chance yet to read many of his books. I never knew he had one that had a werewolf as a character. I thoroughly enjoyed reading American Gods. His ability to pull in so many allusions was fantastic. I would have to say his writing style is very entertaining to read. Just on a random note I loved the Trance scenes within American Gods, the dream world knowledge was fantastic.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#6 2009-05-19 23:26:35

The Busboy
Administrator

The book won an award, it's supposed to be really good, my Mom event wants to read it.

Board footer