The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-19 18:57:27

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

An Unusual Experience

This is something that happened last week while staying over at my girlfriends house. I've never had this happen before, so as you can imagine, it was rather worrying at the time! I'm presuming it could be classed as a shift, but if anyone can throw some more light on it I'd really appreciate it! Anyway, I'll stop gibbering on now! big_smile

Aa I said, this happened whilst I was with my girlfriend. We did the usual...attempting to cook things, going for a walk, having a laugh, and other things not suitable for mention. After we decided to go to sleep, after about half an hour of laying awake, I felt a really warm, and had a weird sensation all over me. It was like a 'pins and needles' feeling all over the surface of my skin. I sat up to try and cool down a bit...thinking it was just me getting  bit overheated or something. Cat (saves me saying 'my girlfriend' all the time lol ) saw I'd sat up and asked if I was alright. I said I was ok. I said I was, just a bit warm thats all. I stayed sat up for a while, and the a feeling of 'wolf ears' settled in. I've had it before, it just seems to come and go randomly to me, but never had it felt that intense, it didn't just feel like some weak feeling. They felt they were there just as much as my hands and feet are. Then comes the really unusual bit for me, that pins and needles feeling I had, changed into a feeling of all I can describe it as is a thin layer of fur all over me. It was really freaky if I'm honest! Cat asked again if I was ok, I said I was fine, but told her about the ears and fur feelings I was having. (She's well aware that I'm a Therian, and knows of the 'ear' feelings I've had)
To top of the weirdness, this next bit is some of what she's told me, as I can't remember some of it! (which is a big reason I want to try and get some indicator on 'shifts' if this is a shift, and see if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Not remembering things does seem a bit worrying!) After sitting up for a bit longer, I laid back down (which I do recall). She started just to rub her hand on my head softly, probably to calm me down and get me to sleep. Me being my odd self, growled quite contently *cue random laughter from readers of this*. I do tend to growl a lot when we're 'close'. After a while, I apparently turned round and licked her hand affectionately when she moved it away, passing near my face. Then after that, I started to nudge and pester her like a dog does when it wants attention. After being able to snuggle up...I finally went to sleep.

I don't recall me licking her hand, or me pestering her after that. Nor do I recall the time when I fell to sleep. After we got up in the morning she told me and oh boy was I embarrassed! I felt pretty guilty for doing things that I can't even recall! It wasn't like I was completely drunk, I hadn't drank any alcohol at all! (Nor have I drank alcohol for a long time!)

I'm really not sure where to start looking for ways to figure out what this is all about. Is it a 'shift?' What kind? Why the lack of memory? What caused it? There's loads of questions that I can't even begin to list them all! I'm happy to answer any questions that might need asking if anyone needs to! Thats if anyone can make sense of this anyway! Feel free to email me too, as I'm more then happy to answer all questions. Besides...it makes a change from the constant junk mail I get! XD

But back to seriousness...any ideas from anyone? Sorry for the small essay of a post!

EDIT: Changed 'p' to 'up' as before it said 'After we got p in the morning' which does sound a little odd big_smile

Last edited by TheGremlin (2009-07-21 06:58:41)

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#2 2009-07-20 00:57:01

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: An Unusual Experience

Yeah, that's a shift.

#3 2009-07-20 05:25:57

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Thanks WVZ, I'm assuming the ears and fur feeling would be aspects of a phantom shift, and my behaviour would be due to a mental shift? (Credit to Vin for helping me work out what bit was what, as I didn't know where to begin!)

Surely there has to be something that caused the memory loss? I haven't suffered from any bouts of not being able to recall what I've done before. I have my own theory on it but others opinions would still be greatly welcomed.

#4 2009-07-20 23:22:09

WolfVanZandt
Website

i would think so, yes.

Check the topic of Therian Integration on the Werelist. Lenowill is working on a scale to describe the level of integration in a Therian's shifting. Whatever else therianthropy is, it's a dissociative phenomenon, even in contherianthropes who never shift. At one extreme, though, shifts are complete, in other words, into completely different minds so that one mind may not be aware of the other. Typically, that level of disintegration occurs at milestones - a Therian is passing from one stage of life to another. It's a temporary stage accompanying emergence of some new fact of the Therian's life. Whatever is emerging - either a "side" or a part of the self that's waking up is separate until it's integrated into the whole. That allows it to develop in relative seclusion with little interference from the outside world.

A large part of why we shift is that there are parts of us that need a protected environment to develop while other parts of us deal with the external world. The therianside needs to experience the outside world occasionally. I suspect that he felt comfortable with her and took the opportunity to dominate in her presence. Did it bother her?

#5 2009-07-21 00:56:17

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

That is extremely interesting Grems... must interesting indeed. I'm curious as to the same, if not, you are very lucky to have a girlfriend like her (and if so, you're not! tongue).

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#6 2009-07-21 07:22:33

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Thanks again WVZ! I'll take a look at that!
I do see how the "feeling comfortable" idea applies here. I think it makes a lor od sense in my case as to the outside world, I try and bottle up any 'Therian feelings and behaviour' which can be tricky sometimes. Only 3 people know I'm a Therian. 2 of these people I don't really see privately, majority of the time, we hang round at each others houses, or go out somewhere...where there tends to be other people, be it their parents, my parents, random passersby, whatever. I am rather fearful of others knowing, so I tend to try and keep all things Therian hidden, or try to. (Hmm...maybe thats why I get the ears feeling at really random times, as always trying to hold it back won't be doing any good, so it kind of forces itself? Hmm...but thats another question and theory altogether! big_smile)
When with my girlfriend, I think because it's a more 'secure' environment, the only person with me is usually her, who already knows, so I can "let it loose" a bit, and since its been pushed back at all other times, maybe thats why it appears so strongly when with her?

I think I am rather lucky to have a partner like her White, I think she found it a tad unusual (as most would!) but wasn't freaked out or anything. I think that may be due to the fact that she's already seen aspects of my Therian "side" show itself when we're...close lets put it. I'll admit to being probe to growling a lot, and have a tendency to try and bite, and well...I'm not sure if the other info is appropriate here. Either way, she seems more then ok with it, and I'm rather lucky in that regsrd! )

Hmm...reaching a "milestone?" That is a very interesting idea, although I can't think of any milestone I may have reached...then again, I'm guessing it isn't as obvious as I'm thinking it is!

#7 2009-07-21 10:31:33

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Well now that is very interesting. I'm glad you were able to find your answers Grem, especially from someone like WVZ who knows much more about it than myself, as I'm practically in the same boat as yourself in knowledge level.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#8 2009-07-21 19:36:17

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

lol i love being pet like that ... i miss those days

They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."

#9 2009-07-23 04:25:09

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

I had a good read of the Therian Intergration topic on werelist, and I found it to be a really interesting idea, which I can apply to this. Thanks for recommending that to read!

Yeah, knowledge-wise, I don't know a ton about Therianthropy but enough for me at the moment. I do want to know as much as possible however, I mean, who wouldn't want to know more about their own potential actions and behaviours and whatnot?  Although I do think I'll have to venture off the internet at some point, and try to find out about 'Therianthropy in the real world' so to speak, the internet has limits with its info!

Thanks again for all the replies! It's been a great help!

Board footer