The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-27 00:31:35

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Night Terrors: From the Files of Department 118 (Completed)

Well, here's the beginning to a new story. It's not finished, but I have enough to make a few posts. Feel free to subscribe to it since it may be a while between segments.

The story will begin momentarily with a new post...

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#2 2009-06-27 00:59:02

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: Night Terrors: From the Files of Department 118 (Completed)

“Five-Six! Take that, you leaf-nosed Diablo!”

Jake, a large ebony genetic cross between human and bat, took the puck from the tray and looked at Phil with a challenging gleam in his eye, one that would make anyone check for tacks on their seat after receiving it. He began a side-to-side drift, staging his attack. Phil reseated his pony tail of dirty blond hair, stroked his beard narrowed his eyes. He grabbed his mallet with his right hand and lifted his left hand in the air as if he was in a fencing match. Out of the corner of his eye Phil caught Chris smiling over the top of the comic book he was reading, the latest issue of BloodWing. Jake served the puck with a straight attack. The machine-gun tapping of the puck was accompanied by the old-fashioned stereo, playing a variety of very old pop songs.

Jake attacked with a left bank shot, which was a cheap attempt at placating Phil’s vigilant guard. Jake made several other attempts on varied angles and finally attacked with a left straight cut. Phil intercepted control with a direct charge against the attack. He aimed poorly, however, and the puck ricocheted off the back and left walls. Phil caught the puck, began a diamond drift, and finally used a chase game along the left wall. Jake fell for the tactic. Phil banked the shot off the left wall, around Jake’s mallet and into the goal.

“Ha! Six all, match point,” Phil declared. “Told you I’ve been practicing.”

Jake hung his head in defeat of his defense, but with a smile nonetheless. He retrieved the puck and began a tap drift. 

Keep this up and we’ll put you in the tournaments, Jake broadcasted telepathically.

“Yeah, right: like I’d last two matches with those guys,” Phil replied.

“You probably would, actually,” Chris encouraged him, “as long as they don’t know about your weakness.”

“What weakness?” Phil inquired as he blocked a straight shot.

Chris held up the comic book he was reading. “Ava Townsend,” he said.

Suddenly Phil received a mental image of Ava Townsend leaning over in her low-cut Bloodwing costume. At that same moment Jake attacked with a bank shot which went directly into the goal, ending the match. Phil shook off the distraction, realized what happened, and verbally protested.

“You nasty little cheat!” he said to Jake, who was smiling widely and deviously. Phil looked at Chris. “Both of you! Little nasty little cheatses!”

“Hey, I only mentioned her,” Chris defended.

“Oh, that is such a load of bull! You gave him the idea to plug the image in my head and you know it! That pose was from issue eight, not the movie!”

But it sure looked good with Ava in that pose, didn’t it? Jake sent.

Phil recalled the image in his mind and smiled. “Yeah
” He said reminiscently, and then shook off the distraction. “Waitaminute – Jake, I thought you didn’t play with people’s minds like that?”

Jake shrugged. I’m not above using an advantage when the situation could endure it, and when I’m desperate. And he smiled his devious grin. 

Phil smiled as well, accepting the obscure compliment.

The door to the game room opened and in walked Shannon. She immediately frowned and walked to the stereo. Instead of turning down the volume she turned off the power completely, then spun around and looked at the three men in the room.

“Why do you have to play this crap so loud?” she asked.

“Because we want to,” Phil answered.

“Because we want to,” Chris repeated.

Phil, Chris and Jake exchanged smirks, knowing they were quoting a previously played song. All three looked at Shannon innocently. Shannon began to give them her famous annoyed look, but sighed and looked at the wall to her left for a moment. She then directed her attention to Jake.

“Gareth just called to check in. He’s finished up in Idaho and wants to go to Europe for the Day of Relation, then he’ll head over to Truug’s tribe. Martha’s on her way to Britain, and I’m going to meet Michelle and take her to see her family after mine. Rachel should be back tomorrow or the day after.”

Jake nodded. Jeroume is still on assignment for the next week, Kiesha’s on maternity, and Mom and Dad won’t be back for at least a week. Am I forgetting anyone?

“Scott and Emily,” Chris announced.

“They’re visiting Emily’s parents for the Day of Relation.” Phil reported. “Scott’s not the family type when it comes to his parents. Personally I don’t blame him.”

“And what about your family?” Chris asked.

“I couldn’t get approval for visiting Serendipity. The Day of Relation is one of the worst times to try and get approval to visit an Isolation Colony.”

“Man, I’m sorry.”

“Are you kidding? I get the run of the house with my two pseudo-stepbrothers! How freaking cool is that? My family’s fine, I’m sure. I’ll get to see them sooner or later.”

“You don’t get the run of the house,” Shannon contested. “Jake’s in charge. You do as he says.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Phil replied, accompanied with a halfhearted military salute.

Shannon narrowed her eyes at him. “So help me, if you burn the place down while I’m gone
”

“Don’t worry; I wouldn’t do it without you,” Phil replied with an overly enthusiastic smile.

Shannon closed her eyes and sighed, then approached Jake and gave him a small hug. “Take care, little brother,” she said.

Jake smiled with tenderness as he responded in kind. He broke the embrace and looked at Shannon intently, no doubt engaging in a telepathic conversation as they often did. Suddenly Shannon smiled and laughed. She looked at him just as intently, and Jake displayed his devious grin. Chris looked at Phil, and Phil merely shrugged. It wasn’t any of their business, no matter how curious they were.

Shannon nodded at Chris and then looked at Phil, who had his arms wide as if waiting for a hug from her.

“Not this time,” she said.

Phil lowered his arms and gave an insincere pout. He was well aware Shannon didn’t show such affection to anyone but Jake, Julie, and Dad, but he couldn’t pass up the opportunity. As Shannon left the room, the three friends exchanged glances. Department 118 was on hiatus for the Day of Relation, and tonight was guy’s night at Jake’s place.

#3 2009-06-27 07:48:34

wolfblood17

Cool! A half bat, half human (sounds like a vampire...).  Nice characterization here.

big_smile (with fangs!)

#4 2009-06-28 01:10:15

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thanks Woolblood! In truth Jake is a genetic cross with a fisherman bat, so he doesn't feed off of blood but craves fish in all shapes, sizes and convections. You can read From the files of Department 118 Part One and Part Two For better understanding of the characters, but both parts are long and grueling. Be prepared for multiple sessions to get through it all.

Here's the next bit. It's kinda long, sorry about that, but it will finish setting the stage.

--------------------------------------------

It was once the largest warehouse in Culmna City, and ranked among the top ten on the West Coast. The original idea was to have the Maglev line go straight through it as a waypoint, but when the line was redirected closer to the coast, the building was liquidated. Before it was demolished Dad was put in as Overlord of Dep:118, and part of the deal for his taking the position was acquiring the warehouse. It was given a remodel and was now a place for Dad to put up his feet, and for Jake to stretch his wings.

Over three quarters of the massive interior was unused, kept clear for Jake to exercise his aerial skills while sheltered from Culmna City’s aggressive weather. Four large boxes hung from the ceiling, serving as different rooms. They were connected by a network of catwalks leading to a spiral staircase, a small lift, and a zipline for the adventurous. Phil got bored with the zipline after several visits.

Three areas of the floor were also sectioned off, serving as a kitchen, garage, and study. The rest of the vast floor was vacant and unfurnished, except near the base of the staircase and lift. In that area was a decoration of a living room without walls; there were a few recliners, two sofas, a coffee table and end tables, a vidphone, and a large monitor on its own stand. On one of the sofas across from the monitor sat Jake, Phil and Chris, munching on varied snacks as they watched an old B-rate film about a werewolf escaping from a prison. Well, Jake was trying to watch it, at least; Chris was listening to Phil complain about his former girlfriend, Melissa. She recently told him she couldn’t handle Culmna City and she was going back to Romberg.

“I’m telling you, Chris, she found someone else.”

“You don’t know that for sure, Phil. Maybe she just needs some time away.”

Phil puffed an exhalation in disagreement. “If that was true, she wouldn’t be trying to find any fault she can in our relationship. It’s a sure sign she’s looking for a way out.”

“I don’t know
” Chris’ eyes trailed off toward Jake, who was intent on watching the film. He looked back at Phil. “Hang on – you didn’t have Jake scan her, did you?”

Jake looked up at the postulation. When Chris looked at him again Jake shook his head and used his index finger to cross his heart.

“Trust me; it’s a certain behavior I’ve learned about the female of my particular species,” Phil explained. “So I’ve decided to take the old Dep:118 viewpoint: water off a duck’s back. Anyway, that’s all there is to it. So now that you know can we drop the subject and get back to watching ‘Voyage to the Bottom of the Budget’?”

Jake laughed at the statement, almost losing control of the straw he was using to sip his soda. In the recent months the three had taken up the idea of watching werewolf movies to see if they were even the slightest bit accurate. The current choice could not be considered high quality, but it wasn’t enough to justify Chris’ lack of interest. He was usually at least as attentive as Jake, regardless of the film’s quality. Come to think of it, Phil found it odd Chris would tone out the current film so easily.

“What’s the deal anyway, Chris? I thought you’d be more interested in the movie than my failing love life.”
Chris shrugged. “This one is more about grotesque murders and sex scenes than werewolves. I lost interest a while back.”

Phil had to agree. The target audience was obviously fans of slasher films, not enthusiasts of lycanthropy. “Then how come you didn’t let us know? We could have skipped it.”

“I was more interested in hearing what you had to say,” Chris admitted.

“And there was always the possibility it might get better, right?”

Chris huffed. “Doubtful; once I saw the first transformation, I knew it was a lost cause.”

“How come?”

“It’s the same old thing.” Chris waved his hands in the air, mixing his cynicism with mockery. “‘Woe is me; I might be a werewolf.’ ‘Woe is me; I probably killed that victim on the news because I’m a werewolf.’ ‘Woe is me I might kill my love interest as a werewolf; oh, the humanity!’ Suddenly they accept their fate as a ‘monster’, attack their love interest, and get killed off just in time. And the movie ends with the love interest crying over their dead body. Blah.”

Phil watched Chris sink into the sofa with exasperation. He could understand his friend’s feelings on the subject, but did not agree with the explanation. Chris was evading his real concerns. Apparently Jake felt the same way.

That doesn’t make any sense, Chris. None of the last few movies had that kind of synopsis. What’s really going on?

“Yeah,” Phil said with an encouraging tone bordering on baby-talk. “What’s with the dark clouds overhead, gloomybear?”

Chris looked at Phil with obvious distaste for the mockery.

Phil relented. “Really, Chris; what’s got you bothered?”

Chris sighed. “It’s just
 it’s getting a little insulting, is all. These movies keep assuming a person would always become a monster, and would eventually submit to that fate. It’s not true; they have a choice.”

Don’t forget these movies are written by humans, not hybreed, and they’re based on commercialized human folklore, Jake said.

“I know,” Chris conceded. “Look, I’ve been thinking about the Hybreed ‘late bloomers’ we’ve found and sent out to tribes for re-education. I don’t see why none of them ever awaken to self-awareness on their own. They always submit to the whole ‘mindless raging beast’ theory, always on the night of a full moon. It’s like they don’t even try to explore other options.”

Phil sighed. “Come on, Chris; you really think they have other options?”

“I did,” Chris said, the matter-of-fact attitude ringing in his response.

“Uh, no, you didn’t,” Phil sang back.

“What?”

“You didn’t have other options. You invoked your first shift consciously. Granted, it’s a different experience from other late bloomers, but it wasn’t like you had a choice to be self-aware or a mindless monster.”

Phil’s right, Jake added. You were extremely fortunate. All the others have to go on are campfire stories and bad movies, and Jake gestured to the monitor to provide an example. When the full moon rises and their subconscious is aware of the shifting ability, it starts the shift automatically and their conscious mind recedes. 

“I know how it works, Jake. But if I could figure out how to shift on my own, somebody out there should be able to figure it out too.”

“I don’t think you’re looking at it right, Chris,” Phil offered.

Chris and Jake looked at him for more explanation.

“Truth is, buddy, you don’t have any idea what it’s like for all the other late bloomers. You’ve always been in control from the beginning. They aren’t. I mean, you have to admit you don’t really have a frame of reference. I don’t think you know what it’s like for them to go through something like that.”

Chris thought for a moment, humming as he pondered Phil’s words. Phil decided to help out with a little description.

“Just picture it, Chris. You’re walking home after a hard day’s work. The full moon rises.”

Phil suddenly received the image of himself walking home at night from a hard day’s work, and realized Jake was assisting their imaginations with envisioning the scene. He continued.

“Suddenly you get all hot and you don’t know why. You feel excruciating pain in your gut, you double over, and then you black out. You wake up in your back yard naked and cold, extremely hungry, and lying in a bunch of fur. You see paw prints leading up to your position, but none leading away from it. Think of how confusing that would be. Imagine it happening repeatedly on every full moon. Sooner or later, you’d come to only one conclusion: you’re turning into a werewolf and you can’t control it. Not only are your notions of reality challenged, but it means you can’t stop yourself from doing whatever you might do in that form.”

Chris nodded in understanding, visualizing the scene with closed eyes and then opening them. “I can  understand all of that. But personally, if it happened to me, I’d try to explore any memories, try to keep conscious when it happens.” He sighed. “Why doesn’t anyone we find try stuff like that?”

Phil shook his head and shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe it has something to do with how the hybreed subconscious takes over. All I can say is, since you haven’t been through what all the others go through, you’re gonna have a tough time relating to them.”

“Gee, thanks,” Chris said derisively, rolling his eyes.

Phil raised his hands helplessly, cocking his head.

Jake consumed a sushi nacho messily, licking the cheese off his lips.

After a little more encouragement they tried another movie about a werewolf tycoon in New York City. Phil didn’t like it any more than Chris. They decided to try getting some sleep in preparation for the next day. Jake flew off to his bedroom in one of the hanging boxes while Chris and Phil took separate sofas.

Last edited by Grayle (2009-08-21 23:08:09)

#5 2009-06-29 13:13:11

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Phil awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of a thump. He frowned with disapproval, but nonetheless opened his eyes to gain his bearings. He saw nothing out of place. The recliners and monitor stood fast in their silence. The coffee table was off kilter, littered with snacks. He looked at the other sofa, and noticed Chris was not there. Slowly he sat up. His ears picked up the awkward sound of silent gagging, and rustling somewhere nearby. He leaned over the coffee table in the direction of the sound, looking toward the floor in front of the other sofa. There lay Chris on the floor, straining and convulsing.

No; he wasn’t convulsing, he was shifting!

The realization of the sight awakened Phil. He didn’t understand why Chris was changing but something about it didn’t feel right. Chris winced in pain, his eyes barely open as his spine began to bubble and pop underneath his reddened skin. His mouth grew wide, exposing the fangs beginning to take form among his teeth. His hair was already growing in quantity, and the bulge of his tail was pushing through his sleep shorts.

Phil grabbed his shirt and donned it as adrenalin started to course through his veins; whatever was going on was not in the norm of transformation for Chris. There was no reason for it to happen in the middle of the night, unless he invoked it somehow. However, by now Chris would realize what was happening to him and either revoke the change or take a position on all fours to allow the change to finish more comfortably. He wouldn’t be sprawling all over the floor like this.

Something was wrong.

“Jake!” Phil called. “Jake! Something’s wrong with Chris!”

After a few moments Phil found a foreign thought in his head.

What’s going on? was the thought from Jake.

“Look through my eyes,” Phil said aloud. He continued looking at Chris on the floor, his feet and hands now resembling digit grade paws and his face elongated to a muzzle.

Why is he shifting? Jake asked.

“Jake, I don’t think he meant to.”

What?

“I don’t think he invoked the shift.”

From the corner of his eye Phil saw an ebony shadow dart out from the entrance to Jake’s bedroom. Its large wings unfurled and adjusted its direction, bearing down on the location of Phil and Chris. By the time it landed Chris had risen to all fours and was breathing heavily, his chest heaving under a coat of chocolate fur, fully transformed to his hybreed state.

“Chris?” Phil asked.

Chris looked at him, but his dark blue eyes were feral. Chris lowered his head and ears, and emitted a rumbling growl. His tail began to circle behind him, and his jowls rose to display his fangs.

Phil felt his eyes widen. He wasn’t sure what was happening, but he knew a hybreed warning when he saw one. Ever so slowly he began to back away, putting his hands out to his sides. He avoided eye contact as much as possible, but when his foot bumped into the edge of the table he looked up at Chris with trepidation.

Chris began to charge.

Jake leaped in front of Chris and opened his wings to their full expanse. He shrieked a warning, the piercing sound ringing in Phil’s ears. Chris stopped his charge and gave a short roar at Jake, but then retreated in the other direction at full speed. Jake folded his wings and turned to look at Phil.

You okay? Jake asked.

Phil nodded as he watched Chris run toward the edge of the warehouse. “What the heck is going on?”

I’m not sure, Jake said as he looked in the same direction. I tried to contact Chris telepathically, but he wasn’t there.

“You got a voice message?”

Jake looked at Phil. His conscious mind wasn’t there, Phil. Believe it or not I think he’s actually going through what other late bloomers go through.

“What? How?”

Jake looked down for a moment and looked again at Phil. I’m thinking maybe the vision I gave him to augment your story is having a side effect. His subconscious mind is currently in control, and there’s no telling how long it will last.

Phil shrugged. “Then I guess we’ll just have to wait it out.” He discarded his concern with a wave of his hand. “As long as we keep him locked up in the warehouse here, we got nothing to worry about.”

The sound of tearing metal echoed through the warehouse. In the far corner a bay door was torn open, letting in the growing wind and flashes of lightning from outside.

“So much for that idea.” He looked again at Jake. “What now?”

His mind is currently driven by hybreed instincts, and possibly wolf instincts. If anything he’ll avoid as many people as he can and run for the forest.

“He’ll be drawn to the Earthlife whether he knows it or not,” Phil added. “At least his hybreed nature will stop him from being a mindless monster as well.”

Yes, but we still need to find him and get him back as soon as we can.

“Why? Won’t he just come back when he reverts to his human form?”

I don’t know if that will happen. His subconscious is now in control, and Chris knows even in his subconscious that his primary form is hybreed. He may not change back at all.

“Which means his subconscious may never let go.”

Jake nodded. It’s very possible; I don’t have any way of knowing. Phil, if we don’t find him, he may stay out there in the forest as a wild hybreed for the rest of his life.

#6 2009-07-01 23:47:24

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Phil paused in thought. “Well, conscious or not, he’ll probably head to familiar grounds. We should get to the places you guys frequent in your little romps. It’s times like this I wish I had a craft.”

Jake paused for a second, and then looked toward the garage. I think Dad would allow you to use his craft for a situation like this. I’ll go get the activator. Take the Segway over to the garage, and I’ll meet you there.

“Dad actually has a craft?” Phil said, astonished. Dad kept a variety of secrets for a plethora of reasons, but as far as everybody in Dep:118 knew, Dad only possessed an old-fashioned ground-bound vehicle. He then snapped out of his bemusement, put his shoes back on and ran to the base of the stairs. Phil mounted the Segway parked at the base of the stairs and whisked away toward the garage.

It was given to him by the Empire for official use, Jake explained as he flew into one of the other hanging boxes, but he’s never used it. You know how Dad feels about flying.

Phil had forgotten. It was more than simple nostalgia which caused Dad to hold on to the ground-bound relic. Dad did not enjoy flying. It was very rare he would ever take the jet, in fact. With that in mind, it was no wonder he never used the craft.

Jake met him at the door to the garage and gave Phil the activator. It looked much like the activator to Shannon’s craft: a device in the shape of a tear drop with three buttons on it, fastened to a lanyard. Phil pressed the appropriate button and the craft activated, hovering less than a meter from the floor and opening the pilot’s door. Phil placed the lanyard around his neck, then turned and looked at Jake, who was opening the garage door.

“So, where to?” He asked.

Jake sent him images of a certain location deep in the forest where Chris would habitually frequent. Jake could often find him or meet up with him in that location. Phil suddenly knew exactly where it was and how to get there.

I’ll be checking out some other spots first, but I’ll meet you there. Remember, don’t get too close to him; he might attack if he feels threatened. Just keep tabs on him if you find him.

Phil nodded. “Well, here goes nothin’,” he said, and climbed into the craft. He adjusted the seat and viewers, then piloted the vehicle into the blustery weather of Culmna City.

#7 2009-07-05 23:27:08

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

It was neither as lavish nor as stable as Shannon’s craft, but Dad’s craft was rather maneuverable. If the situation was not so pressing, Phil might have taken the scenic route. Now was not the time for deviation, however. If Jake was right the livelihood of his friend was at stake, and Phil was not about to lose his best friend right after losing his girlfriend.

As he traveled to the target location, Phil inquired of the onboard computer about scanning options. The craft was limited to GPS reception and Imperial broadcasts. He tried to access the Imperial satellite network for further options, but to no avail. Once he got there, he’d have to get out and look around.

The wind was picking up, causing further difficulty to piloting the craft. Fortunately he was traveling north of the oncoming storm, so the rain and lightning became less of a concern. Another gust of wind caused the craft to jar from its intended course. An alert klaxon rang through the cabin to inform Phil of the need to stabilize the craft. He battled with the pilot wheel and once again gained control, adjusting the course to the proper direction.

“When this is said and done I swear I’m getting him microchipped,” he complained, and turned off the blaring alert.

Phil landed the craft in the specified location. He took a moment to look through the rear compartments for anything useful. He found a large LED torch, a thermal jacket, and some stale nutrition bars. He donned the jacket, pocketed the bars and exited the craft, closing the pilot’s door behind him. Once outside he turned on the torch and scanned the area. There was no immediate indication of Chris’ presence. Then again, considering how fast Phil was flying, he may have gotten there even before Chris did.

He hiked in the direction of a crevasse, one which stuck out as common in the images Jake provided him. The jagged stone edges turned the wind’s voice into a howl, but also provided shelter at certain angles. They proved useful as the wind focused its intensity while being funneled through the landmark. Phil was nowhere near as adept as Chris in tracking skills, but attempted to find any tracks nonetheless. The ground proved too rocky for any assurances. He doubled back to the trees and began to scan the ground. Soon he found possible tracks of a hybreed, but could not tell their age.

With growing frustration Phil sprayed the surrounding trees with light from the torch from left to right. He passed the light across two large cedars which stood out from the rest of the trees. Suddenly Phil thought he noticed a shadow dance over the horizon to his left. He brought the torchlight back to the area, but saw nothing among the swaying trees. He decided to check for tracks just in case.

Sure enough, Phil found hybreed tracks leading back toward the crevasse. His hope revitalized, Phil trotted toward the crevasse, periodically checking the tracks were still guiding him there.

Phil stood at the mouth of the crevasse, peering into the nooks of the rocky shelves for any sign of his furry friend. Up ahead about thirty meters the Crevasse forked in two directions. When Phil looked down the right fork, he saw something moving amongst the darkness. For fear of frightening whatever was there, he decided to hold off shining the torch down the way and pointed it toward the ground. Step by cautious step he approached, all the while trying to get a definitive view of what hid in the shadows.

“Chris?” he called out. “Chris, is that you? Can you understand me?”

The moving form stopped moving, but Phil could not make out any determinate sound over the wind. He held up his left hand.

“I’m just gonna shine a light toward you. Chris, if that’s you, I don’t mean any harm.” Phil thought about the statement and added another condition for good measure. “If that’s not you, I don’t mean any harm either.”

Phil directed the torchlight into the darkness. The light shone upon a hybreed with brown fur crouching in the corners of the crevasse. It looked directly at Phil. Suddenly its ears lowered, as did its head, and it bared its teeth.

“Aw, crap,” Phil exclaimed.

The hybreed charged at him with amazing speed. Before it made contact, however, it twitched, as if it was stuck by a thorn in a sensitive area. The hybreed slowed its charge. It twitched again, and this time yelped in pain. It gave Phil one more look and then reversed its course, running further down the crevasse. It leaped up the wall of rocky shelves and over the top. Suddenly Phil heard a voice from the top of the crevasse, a few meters from where he stood.

“Jake, he’s on the move. You got him?”

I’ve got him, Phil heard in his mind. Sorry about not telling you, Phil. I was trying another attempt to get through to Chris. Rachel got back early and I had her meet us here.

Phil nodded, conceding to the information. He looked up toward the top of the crevasse and found Rachel Blackwood looking down with him with contempt, holding a tranquilizer gun in her right hand. Obviously she had shot Chris with a couple of darts, which caused him to forego his attack. She pointed to a low area in the wall of the crevasse. Phil walked to the area and Rachel helped him climb up to the top. Once he finished his climb and stood on his own, Rachel faced him directly.

“You never approach a cornered hybreed without backup or escape, idiot.”

“Nice to see you too,” Phil replied, sarcasm intended. “And it wasn’t just a hybreed, it was Chris.”

“He wasn’t acting like Chris, and you know it. What the hell were you thinking?”

Phil stared at her with conviction. “Is that a trick question?”

Rachel sighed with annoyance and crossed her arms. The wind aggressively blew her hair behind her head, bringing stark focus to her Native American features. Though her beauty was undeniable, her attitude soured any attraction Phil may have had toward her.

Phil sighed, and relented. “Okay, maybe it was a dumb thing to do, but there was a chance he might have recognized me.”

“Or disemboweled you.”

Phil hardened his expression. “Either way, my choice.”

That’s enough, Jake broadcasted. Go to your corners, both of you. Phil, head back to the building and get a cell ready. No arguments. Rachel, bring that craft you rented over here. I’ll hold Chris on the roof while you fly us to the building.

Phil and Rachel continued to stare at each other.

Now, Children!

They broke the stare. Phil made his way to Dad’s craft and piloted it to the headquarters of Dep:118, grumbling only a third of the way.

#8 2009-07-08 13:16:06

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

On the lowest level of the building which housed Dep:118 headquarters were half a dozen holding cells with old-fashioned sets of bars dividing them. Since Dep:118 was not a high priority in the Empire, older and less expensive materials were used in construction of their needs. The cells were made to contain any unruly subjects they found in their investigations and studies. Unfortunately, Chris had become one such subject. An adjacent corridor connected the cells, and had only one large heavy door, thereby restricting access as well as possibilities for escape.

Jake had carried Chris into the second cell, placing him on the floor. After he exited Rachel closed the cell door and locked it with a thumb print on the attached scanner. Phil watched from in front of the heavy door, leaning against it.

There on the floor of the holding cell lay a sleeping hybreed, looking so peaceful and quiet; yet Phil looked upon the hybreed with mixed feelings. It was wild to the point of being savage, yet still his best friend had to be in there somewhere. There had to be a way to get him back. If he knew where to begin he would have already started, but this situation was more within Rachel and Jake’s expertise.

Rachel retrieved a seat modified for Jake’s use. She placed it in front of the second cell. Jake sat down and sighed, peering at the cell occupant, analyzing the situation. Finally he lowered his head.

This might take quite a while, Jake announced to Rachel and Phil telepathically.

“How come?” Phil asked.

Rachel began the explanation. “A hybreed’s brain changes form just like their body does. Even their mind changes.”

I’ve been in Chris’ mind while in his hybreed form plenty of times, Jake added, but I only interacted with his conscious mind. In all the places I’d usually find it I’m only finding his subconscious, and it’s primal. I’m going to have to scan deeply to try to find him.

Phil nodded. “And his being unconscious isn’t going to help any either, I’ll bet.”

Jake snapped his fingers and pointed at Phil, indicating he understood the challenge correctly.

“Jake is going to have to search every nook in his head,” Rachel added. “For hybreed or human, that’s a lot to go through.”

“Let me guess: needle in a haystack?”

Both Jake and Rachel nodded.

Phil sighed. “Figures it couldn’t be easy. Anything I can do to help?”

Silence, Jake answered. And some coffee would be nice. 

Phil’s eyes widened with disbelief. “You’re kidding; you want me to be the coffee boy?”

Jake shrugged. This is going to take a while, Phil, and I only got a few hours sleep.

With a nod of agreement, Phil conceded to the point. He left for the break room upstairs.

#9 2009-07-11 13:25:56

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Once reaching the break room Phil took a bag of coffee beans from the cupboard and poured it into the appropriate channel of the coffee maker. The maker began the automatic action of grinding the beans and adding hot water for the brewing. Within moments a trickle of coffee began making its way into the pot, and the aroma of fresh java permeated the air.

Phil began thinking of the situation. They had found Chris and retrieved him, but now the real work began. Jake previously explained to him that finding information in a human mind was complicated enough. But a hybreed mind was like a different world, with a different language, culture, climate and landscape all in the individual’s head. And now his friend was stranded somewhere in that different world, with only a genetic cross of man and bat flying over the landscape looking for him, calling his name.

It was always possible Chris himself may find his own way back. He might even be fighting for control as Jake continued his scans. Perhaps Jake would find a giant ‘HELP’ sign built out of rocks on the side of a hill in Chris’ head or something. Whatever the case, Phil could not help but feel responsible for the situation. It was his suggestion for Chris to consider what other late bloomers went through. Sure, there was no way to predict consequences like this, but if he kept his mouth shut in the first place it never would have happened.

“You’re not making just one cup, are you?” Rachel asked from behind him.

Phil woke from his musings and looked at her. Rachel had her arms crossed, as she often did, and stood leaning her shoulder against the threshold of the break room door.

“Huh? No; I’m making a full pot. Why, want some?”

“It would be nice, but I was thinking you could use some too.”

Phil huffed derisively. “You were thinking of me? That’s gotta be a first.”

Rachel took a few steps closer as she unfolded her arms. She slid the fingers of her right hand into the front pocket of her jeans, and let her left arm hang. She looked at Phil with as much softness as her rock-hard personality would allow.

“There’s no denying what you did was stupid, but why you did it was still
 commendable.”

Almost by reflex Phil rolled his eyes. “Alright, what have you done with the real Rachel Blackwood?”   

“I’m serious, Phil. What you were trying to do showed a lot of trust. Just try to do it smarter next time.”

Phil stood nearly in complete bemusement. Rachel was not one to be sociable, and was rarely gracious, but nevertheless she was basically complimenting him – as close as she could get to complimenting someone, anyway.

“Thanks,” he replied.

Rachel nodded. “Don’t let it go to your head.”

Phil smiled. “You mean getting a good mark from you? I’ll try not to. Still, I wish I could have recorded it for future reference.”

Rachel cocked her head at the statement. “Say that again.”

“I didn’t mean anything by it,” Phil apologized.

“No, no
 there was something Emily and Chris were talking about a few days ago, something about recording
” Rachel grew distant in thought for a few seconds and then shook from her memory. “Finish the coffee. I’ll meet you guys down there,” She said as she turned and left.

Phil watched her leave, still lacking enough understanding about what she might be planning. Of course, he knew he'd find out soon enough; it was just so annoying how Rachel wouldn't tell anyone what she figured out until she already acted on it. Oh, well.

Moments later the coffee maker began to gurgle, indicating it was finishing the current batch. Despite wondering over the abrupt departure of Rachel, Phil pocketed a handful of sweetener pills, gathered three mugs along with the coffee pot and carefully made his way back down to the holding cells.

#10 2009-07-11 18:09:32

Edo

yikes

I hadn't come to the café in a few weeks, but the best thing that could have happened on a visit was to see a new story by Grayle big_smile
It's a wonderful start to what I'm sure will be a great story. So this was going to be a full-length story like the first three parts?
I already can't wait for the next part, and I'm anxious about what'll happen to Chris.

Last edited by Edo (2009-07-11 18:10:55)

#11 2009-07-13 14:56:05

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you so much, Edo! I'm Very glad to hear you're looking forward to this story!
  This is going to be a short story, hopefully less than 10k words. It deals with a specific issue which threatens all individual hybreed at one level or another, and it may be my last posted story for a while.

I'm not too surprised with the lack of response, personally. Few people who have kept up with the Dep118 stories have time to post replies anymore, and most current posters in the Stories area never read my work. My loss. Still, I'll finish this one out. As such, here's some more.

-------------------------------

Phil handed a mug full of coffee to Jake, who was intently staring at Chris, fully concentrated on whatever telepathic scans he was performing. Jake robotically sipped the coffee without moving his gaze.

Two pills, please, Phil heard in his mind. He applied two sweetener pills to the mug in Jake’s hands.

Jake responded with an ASL motion to say his thanks, never deterring his gaze. Phil could do little more than bring in a chair for his own use and an empty file cabinet to serve as a table for the mugs.

Rachel finally arrived, and was a little irritated upon realizing Phil had not retrieved a chair for her as well. He stood and offered his chair to her, but she declined. Phil suddenly decided this was the real Rachel after all, and took the chair back.

“Jake, let me know when you can talk,” Rachel said.

Give me a moment, Phil heard Jake broadcast.

A moment later Jake closed his eyes, took a breath, sipped his coffee, and turned to look at Rachel.

“Chris’ conscious mind is receded, which has never really happened to him before, right?”

Not in a situation like this, yes.

“But it happens to other late bloomers all the time, and they snap back to their original selves once they shift to human form.”

Yes.

“So what would happen if we forced him to shift?”

Jake thought for a moment. Most likely his subconscious would relinquish control instinctively. Then again, his mind might stay the way it is.

“So it just might force his conscious mind back in place?”

In a manner of speaking, yes. There’s also the chance it might fragment his mind into multiple personalities. Still, if we had the option, I’d say forcing his change may be our best chance of getting him back whole.

Rachel’s eyes narrowed with confidence, as if it was exactly the response for which she hoped. “Chris and Emily were working on something about hybreed frequencies. I heard them mention they recorded his frequencies. If we could invoke his human frequency, his body would follow suit and change back, and so would his mind. If nothing else it would make finding his conscious mind a lot easier.”

Rachel, recording his frequencies and invoking them are two different things. 

“Yes, but they mentioned using a modulator to do it.”

“And because they used the word ‘modulator’, whatever they were referring to may be able to transmit his frequency?” Phil asked.

Rachel looked at Phil, and then back toward Jake. “It’s worth a shot, isn’t it? You just said if you could force his body to shift you would.”

Jake rubbed the back of his neck in thought. So where is this device they were talking about?

“I don’t know; I can’t find it. And I can’t find any mention of it in Emily’s data files, and Chris doesn’t have anything on it either.”

Jake inclined his head in understanding, then shifted his attention to Phil.

Phil returned the look, relatively certain he knew what the ebony Homo Chiropteran was thinking. He also took note of the irony in knowing what a telepath was thinking, but felt it wise to stay on subject and ask permission.

“Shall I?”

Jake widened his lips with a smirk, which still offered a glimpse of that mischievous grin of his. Go work your magic, Phil.

Phil smiled back and inclined his eyebrows at Jake knowingly. He took in another swig of hot coffee, as large a swig as his palate would allow. He stood and looked at Rachel. “Want to come along?”

“I suppose,” she replied, eyes narrowed in suspicion.

Phil smiled and gestured ahead toward the heavy door. “After you.”

With that Rachel and Phil exited, leaving Jake to continue scanning Chris for some spark of his conscious mind.

#12 2009-07-13 15:34:54

Edo

I'm sorry to hear you're taking a break on writing after you finish this one, but at least I'll enjoy this one smile

I'm (still) a bit confused by the situation. Because of Jake's images of Chris being a latebloomer who is forced to transform, it really happens. And now trying to transform him back would be very risky, because his subconscious, which is also kind of his 'inner hybreed, or at least has some sort of preference for Chris's hybreed form, is now in control. But then why do other latebloomers safely transform back to human but Chris doesn't? Is it because the other latebloomers believe that it is the full moon controlling it, and that when they wake up they will find themselves human again, but Chris's transformation isn't 'controlled' by the full moon?

I may just have missed something or maybe I'm just stupid and I missed the point, but can you explain that?

Last edited by Edo (2009-07-13 15:35:51)

#13 2009-07-13 19:20:30

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I'm glad you brought that up, Edo.

You are correct. Other late bloomers shift back at the end of a full moon because they believe that's what is supposed to happen, therefore their subconscious acts on that knowledge, shifting them back to human at the end of the full moon.
  With Chris, he knows that his shifting is not tied to the lunar cycle, even in his subconscious. Therefore, his subconscious would have no reason to shift back - it knows there is no need to shift back at the end of the full moon.
   Granted, a dream based on Jake's mental image caused the change in the first place, but the dream didn't continue. Once he shifted to his hybreed form, his subconscious was awake and in control. In effect it's kinda like Chris is sleepwalking in his hybreed form, but it's probably more like a nightmare (hence the title Night Terrors).

Hopefully that explains things a bit better. I'll try to add some more explanation in the next draft, probably at the point where Jake and Phil discuss what happened back at the warehouse.

Last edited by Grayle (2009-07-14 18:26:29)

#14 2009-07-14 01:42:22

Edo

Okay, I get it smile

#15 2009-07-14 03:40:47

wolfsongx

CRAP!  I've got to catch up!  Sorry Grayle.  sad

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#16 2009-07-14 18:22:32

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

No worries, Wolfsong - I know how busy life can get, and I was missing for quite a while, which doesn't help matters much. However, if you wanted to subscribe to Night Terrors, I won't stop you...
   Here's the rest of the current chapter.

------------------------------------

Phil accompanied Rachel to the medical labs, and Phil sat down at Emily’s desk. He activated the computer keyboard, and the glass wall one meter in front of the desk lit up, displaying the computer’s active desktop.

“Here goes nothin’,” he declared as he popped his knuckles, and began accessing Emily’s data files.

Many of the file locations were restricted access, but Phil had seniority, a high imperial sanction, and Emily’s password. Fortunately he did not need to use the latter, as he was not supposed to have the passwords for anyone else in Dep:118, officially. Once he found the appropriate location in Emily’s data files, it only took a few attempts in several locations to find entries. Phil was very adept at this type of search.

He began with a search for all entries or references dealing with ‘hybreed’, and found too much. He then took those results and honed the search with the word ‘frequency’, which narrowed the results considerably. When he searched for ‘modulator’, however, he found no results at all. He backed up and searched for ‘Chris’, which lowered the results to a manageable level. Finally he began accessing the results one by one.

Less than ten minutes later he found the appropriate references in Emily’s logs. She had applied for a new case study in hybreed frequency modulation. Phil mentioned in passing the frustration of his searching for the wrong suffix.

“You found it, didn’t you?” Rachel ‘encouraged’ him.

Phil nodded with submission and continued his research.

The notes indicated Dad still had not approved of the Case study for Emily, but she and Chris had recorded Chris’ frequencies for later reference. The notes had a cross-reference link, which led directly to the listing of his frequencies.

“Now if only we had a transmitter,” Phil said.

“Leave that to me,” Rachel replied, and looked once again at the frequency listings. “Which one should I use?”

“Try the higher one first.”

“Why?”

Phil shrugged. “If it doesn’t work, switch to the lower one. It’s a coin toss on which to try first. The coin landed on the higher one.”

“Whatever,” Rachel said with annoyance. “Give me an hour or so to get a transmitter ready and I’ll bring it over.”

Phil sighed as he stood from the desk and started toward the door.

“Hey,” Rachel called.

Phil turned to look at her.

“Thanks for the help.”

Phil nodded respectfully. “You’re welcome.”

After Rachel gave her attention to her new project, Phil turned and exited with a slight smile on his face. The ice queen was beginning to show a little warmth. If she got water all over the carpet, however, he wasn't going to clean it up. After all he was a coffee boy, not a janitor.

#17 2009-07-15 10:15:19

wolfsongx

CAUGHT UP!
This is fantastic!  Once again you have captivated me with your storytelling.  I’m subscribing casue I gotta know what happens next!!

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#18 2009-07-17 17:50:38

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you very much, Wolfsong! Here's some more. Kinda long, though, so prepare yourself.
------------------------------

Even with the heavy door closed Phil heard some sort of commotion coming from the cells as he approached. He quickened his pace and entered the area. Upon entering he noticed Jake had moved the furniture and coffee accessories away from the holding cell and stood in front of their new position, staring at the cell occupant. When he got closer Phil saw the occupant was awake and on all fours, pacing left and right in front of the bars.

“Hey, Chris, buddy; you’re awake!”

The hybreed stopped for a moment. It stared at Phil curiously, then lowered his head and growled. He then began to snap and bark at Phil.

“Okay, so, not Chris yet,” Phil surmised, and looked at Jake who was staring at Chris. 

Jake turned to Phil and signed a message. “I can pick up on some of his feelings, but his thoughts are all instinct. He’s feeling like you betrayed him.”

Phil’s eyes widened with dismay. It was as he feared; Chris blamed him for his current circumstances.

“Not in the slightest, Phil. Right now Chris doesn’t have the capability to blame. He apparently sees you as a source for support and security, but he feels you are the one who attacked him in the forest and caged him.”

“Wait – what?” 

“It’s just how his current mindset is processing information. You are a trusted friend. You attacked him with light, then attacked him with pain, and then caged him. He feels betrayed.”

“But that’s not-”

“He’s not in his right mind, Phil. If he was, he’d know better.”

Phil couldn’t stand it. He wasn’t going to put up with Chris feeling he had been betrayed, right mind or no. He had to win back Chris’ trust, and he had to do it right. He needed to help Chris feel secure, safe, at ease. He needed to try to give Chris peace of mind. But how do you give a feral hybreed peace of mind?

The Earthlife.

“I got an idea,” he said, and approached the cage. When he did the hybreed barked again and reached through the bars toward him. Phil froze in surprise, barely out of reach.

Jake tapped on Phil’s shoulder to get his attention. “You sure?” he signed.

Phil took a breath as he looked back at his incarcerated friend. “Yeah; yeah I’m sure, it’s just there’s not much of the Earthlife in here.” He looked at Jake. “Hey Jake, could you round up some plants from Martha’s station, and Kiesha’s office? We can put them back after.”

“Very clever,” Jake signed with a devious smile. “Will do. Just stay out of his reach, at least until I get back, okay?”

“If you insist,” Phil said with raised eyebrows, and then directed his attention to the cell as Jake left.

Phil carefully judged the reach of the hybreed, and sat on the floor just outside of the distance. He tightened his pony tail and shook out any stiffness from his hands. Phil then crossed his legs and looked at his friend with as much caring and concern as he could possibly convey. The hybreed stopped its pacing; it still glared at Phil, but it visually calmed a bit, giving Phil its complete attention. Finally Phil straightened his back, closed his eyes, and did everything a human could do to attempt life-linking.

Phil concentrated on his hearing first. He heard the heavy breaths of the hybreed in the cell, and heard the soft white noise from the ventilation system as it refreshed the air in the room. He heard the thuds of upstairs footsteps from a large genetic cross of man and bat reverberating through the ceiling. Phil took note as the breaths of the hybreed slowed, almost stopped, and then heard the clicks from his claws as he repositioned in the holding cell.

Ever so cautiously Phil slid open one eye to check on his friend. Chris was sniffing the ground, circling in the center of the cage. Finally Chris sat his hind end on the concrete floor, facing the cell door, and cocked his head left and right at the human sitting outside, curious to his actions. In another time and place it might be considered cute. Phil smiled, took a deep breath, and continued his attempts at life-linking. Once more Phil checked on his friend just in time to see him straighten his back, heighten his head, close his eyes, and begin the process as well. Phil closed his eyes and continued since Chris seemed to be following his example.

It wasn’t too long before Jake came back with the first shipment of plants. Phil listened intently as Jake positioned the plants around the corridor, and their individual distinctive aromas began to fill the room. Phil heard the caged hybreed sniff multiple times, no doubt picking up the fragrances with an intensity Phil could only imagine.

Phil, that wasn’t just clever, it was genius, Phil heard in his mind. His subconscious is awake and very calm now. I might have a better chance of finding his conscious mind.

Once again Phil smiled and opened his eyes, looking upon the placid hybreed in the cell, fully immersed in a life-link session. Chris’ ears swiveled to almost every new sound, his nostrils flared periodically, and his breaths were slow and steady.

“I’m only glad it worked,” Phil said softly, watching the hybreed ears swivel toward him. He looked up at Jake. “I still think I should stay and continue, just for support if nothing else.”

Jake nodded and signed a message. “I agree. I’ll go find some more plants and then get back to scanning him, but I’m taking my chair, not the floor.”

Phil nodded in understanding; sitting on the floor was not an easy thing for Jake, with his large wings and all. What’s more, he was also becoming aware that the mind could only take in what the seat could endure, and the concrete floor was not very comfy in the first place. He didn’t know how much time he had before his hind end couldn’t take any more.

I’ll see if I can find you a cushion as well, Phil heard Jake broadcast to him.

He smiled and looked up at the ebony mutation. “Jake, you read my mind.”

Jake smiled back with his devious grin and exited the corridor.

#19 2009-07-18 21:56:55

wolfsongx

Now that was a stroke of pure genius!  I like it!  big_smile

#20 2009-07-28 14:31:39

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thanks much, wolfsong! here's some more.
---------------------------

The seat cushion was nearly a godsend. Phil sighed graciously as it buffered his buttocks from the hard cold floor. He reached back and took a sip of his coffee, unhappily realizing it had become lukewarm. He pressed a button on the side of the mug to activate the internal heating element, and placed it back atop the file cabinet behind him. Jake had retaken his seat and begun his scanning once again. Phil closed his eyes and continued supporting his lupine friend.

After a while the large heavy door opened, and Phil opened his eyes. Rachel entered with armfuls of equipment. She looked around the room at all the plants, some of which were in the empty cells.

“Redecorating?” She asked.

“More like anchoring,” Phil replied. “We’re trying to help Chris to life-link.”

“Well I need a place to set all this down.”

“Sure thing,” Phil said, and cleared the top of the file cabinet, placing the mugs and coffee pot on the floor next to him. He then took a test swig of his coffee, partially satisfied with the accumulated heat.

Rachel carefully unloaded her armful of equipment onto the file cabinet and began attaching the metal boxes with leads. She placed a tongue-like antenna on the top of the stack and aimed it at Chris. She sat in the empty chair and then began calibrating the equipment. After a few moments she announced the transmitter was ready. Jake stopped his intensive scanning, but still watched over Chris’ mind. Phil stood from his sitting position with silent thankfulness.

The device became active and both Jake and Phil watched Chris intently for any indication. After only a short while Chris began to twitch, as if he was being bitten by annoying fleas.

Shut it down, Jake telepathically commanded, it’s not working.

“Let me try the other one, then,” Rachel said, and without waiting for permission she referenced her notes and modified the transmission frequency. 

All three looked upon the hybreed in the cell, sitting with closed eyes and trying to pay attention to the sensory input around it. For a few moments nothing happened, but then the hybreed’s eyes shot open. It shifted to the right from a twinge of pain and whined. Then it heaved forward and yelped. It looked directly at Phil. It yowled in dreadful protest as it doubled over in pain.

“It’s okay, buddy! It’s alright!” Phil said as he ran to the bars of the cage.

Jake grabbed Phil and held him back as the hybreed began to twist and writhe in the cell. You really want to become a hybreed, Phil?

“I’ll take my chances!” Phil replied and pulled himself out of Jake’s grip. He kneeled down at the bars of the cell, grasping them with his hands. “Chris, it’s okay! It will be alright! Just hold on!”

The hybreed fell backward, landing on its side. As it did an enormous amount of fur fell from its body and onto the floor.

“Looks like its working,” Rachel commented.

The hybreed continued to writhe in pain, and then its limbs began to change shape. The feet began to recede while the thighs lengthened. The claws fell out, being replaced by more human-like fingernails and toenails, and the paws shrank to a more hand-like appearance. The muzzle shortened as the nose became more pronounced. The skull began to rise, making the shrinking ears appear as if they were sliding down to the side of its head. The tail withdrew and hid within the tattered shorts. A handful of minutes had passed before a human figure, Christopher Hansen, lay with reddened skin in a heap of chocolate fur, wearing only shorts and the same hairstyle he had the day before.

Phil immediately turned to the dark figure behind him. “Jake?”

Jake gazed intently at the sleeping form, and then relaxed as he made his report.

He’s dreaming of life-linking with Truug’s tribe. We’ll see when he awakes, but for now it look like it worked.

Phil sighed with relief and smiled. He looked at Rachel and, to his surprise, she was also smiling.

“You did it, Rachel,” He said. “Thanks.”

“Don’t sell yourself short. It was all of us.”

I agree, Jake added. Granted, we still need to see if he wakes to his normal self. However, I think we found a way to externally invoke a hybreed shift. That could prove useful.

“Yeah,” Phil added, “there’s no reason for Dad to hold off on permitting this case study now.”

#21 2009-07-31 00:54:59

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Well, here's the final part. As usual, comments and feedback of all shapes and sizes are greatly appreciated.
  To everyone who read this, thanks again, and I hope it entertained adequately.

-------------------------------

It was not until several hours and cups of coffee later when Phil’s vigilant watch over his friend proved fruitful. A weary groan issued from the waking form, sprawled out upon the floor the holding cell. Its right hand dragged up to its face and it groaned again.

Phil got up from his chair and stood at the bars of the cell door. “Chris?” He called.

“Yeah?” was the drained response.

Immediately Phil used his thumbprint to unlock the door, swung it open, and carefully helped his friend to an upright position against the back wall.

“What a crazy dream,” Chris said.

“I’ll bet,” Phil said through his laugh. “How do you feel?”

“Hungry,” Chris announced as he opened his eyes. They opened even wider when he scanned his environment.

Phil also looked around in silent admiration of their supportive works. Nearly all the holding cells were occupied by a variety of plants, but the corridor and Chris’ cell were more densely populated with the vegetation. When adding the two chairs and file cabinet in the corridor, with a bunch of electrical equipment stacked on top of the cabinet, the dĂ©cor gave a slight feeling of a makeshift hospital recovery room. The only things missing were the gurney, bandages, and really bad food.

Chris rubbed his neck as he examined the environment. “What the heck happened?”

“As near as we can tell, last night you dreamed of going through what all the other late bloomers go through – you know, changing uncontrollably on the night of a full moon. Your subconscious mind reacted to it and shifted to your hybreed form, but it still had total control. Jake was worried you wouldn’t change back, especially since he couldn’t locate your conscious mind when he scanned you. We found the research you and Emily did on your frequencies. We used a transmitter to broadcast your human frequency, and it worked; your individual cells reacted and shifted back. Fortunately your conscious mind came back as well.”

Chris was obviously listening, taking it all in, but his groggy stare exposed his weariness. Even so, his first responses testified to his concern for others.

“I didn’t hurt anybody, did I?”

“Nope,” Phil reported. “We kept you in here as soon as we caught you out in the forest. There’s a bay door at Jake’s place that’s seen better days, though.”

Chris nodded. “I’ll pay to get it fixed.”

Oh no you won’t, Jake broadcasted. It was a little more awkward than usual since Jake wasn’t even in the room. This whole thing started because I put that mental image in your head to augment Phil’s scenario. If anyone’s going to pay for it, I will.

“If I didn’t suggest the whole thing in the first place, this never would have happened,” Phil protested.

The large heavy door opened, and in walked the ebony Homo Chiropteran, carrying several items.

“Phil,” Chris said as he returned his gaze from noticing Jake, “If you didn’t suggest what you did, I wouldn’t have a better understanding of what it’s like for other late bloomers.”

Phil looked at him with inquisitive curiosity. Chris closed his eyes again, took a breath and exhaled slowly, clearly trying to concentrate on remembering, and then continued.

“I can only remember faint images, glimpses.” He opened his eyes again. “I’m sure I’ll remember more later, but even now I can tell I wasn’t in control. It’s a good thing you guys caught me when you did; there’s no telling what I would have done, but I wouldn’t have been able to stop myself. I guess that’s exactly what late bloomers go through every full moon. It’s torture.”

Phil put his hand on Chris’ shoulder for encouragement.

Jake entered the cell, carefully crouching through the doorway to allow his wings access. He handed Chris an unmarked plastic bag filled with jerky. Chris took the bag, opened it, and pulled out a piece. He tore into the piece aggressively and began to consume it. A contented smile broke forth upon his face.

“Mmmmm, bison,” he said.

Phil was surprised at the comment. Bison meat was infrequent in Culmna City, and at times expensive, but finding it as jerky was a rare delicacy. He looked up at Jake. “How on earth did you manage bison jerky?”

Jake popped his eyebrows and flashed his mischievous grin. I have my sources, He said as he reached over and helped himself to a piece. He also tore into the meat forcefully. I mentioned the possibility to Chris and he flipped the bill.

Phil hesitated, but only for a moment. “May I?”

Jake nodded and gestured to the bag.

Just to make sure, Phil looked at Chris inquisitively as well.

Chris smiled. “Go ahead; try some,” he said as he pulled out some more.
Phil dived into the bag and pulled out two chunks. He sank his teeth into one of the chunks and tore off a piece to chew.

Chris laughed. “You’re going to put our animal table manners to shame, Phil!” 

Phil gestured toward both Chris and Jake as he swallowed. “When in Rome
” he said, and bit off another piece.

Chris and Jake laughed at the comment. Jake retrieved his chair and brought it into the cell. And then all three friends began conversing about the events of the night, the movies they tried to watch, celebrating the Day of Relation in their own way. Rachel finally came in and agreed to try the present cuisine, but did not stay for long. When Chris felt up to it they exited the cell and replaced the plants and paraphernalia borrowed over the night, including Dad’s craft. Once they returned to Jake’s place they finished guy’s night through the rest of the day.

All three slept in the following morning, and all three stayed indoors.

--The End.

#22 2009-07-31 02:51:10

Edo

Bravo!
*applauds*
Congratulations on finishing another great story big_smile
Too bad it was so short wink

#23 2009-07-31 05:29:55

wolfsongx

Just finished both parts.  Most excellent!  That was really involving story; nice work buddy!

Board footer