The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-09 18:46:31

Cratys
Website

WereEVERYTHING?

Okay, so it's possible to be more than one animal as a therian....but every creature ever that anyone has ever made up, read about, thought up, doodled on their notes, or dreamed of?!

Where is the line? DX I'm sure there's not a specific number but what's realistic?

My sister is a rat therian, her friend we'll call her "Bananas" said she was a therian too. When we asked what kind? She said cheetah....then kept adding and adding..dragon, squirrel, mouse, unicorn, fish, mermaid, centaur, falcon, fairy, wolf, fox, raven, witch, frog, bug, monkey, tiger, zebra, horse, tazmanian devil, koala, wallabe, kangaroo, weasel, ferret, bat, panda, pig, flying pig, cat, ant, butterfly, dog, cockroach, scorpion, merekat, jaguar, coyote, some-huge-monster-that-can-beat-you-up-and-you can't- beat-it....before she finally said "I'm a shapeshifter."

Uggghhhhhhh it's exhausting, I don't believe her one bit...now she says it's just a cat therian. Sounds to me like she liked the idea of being therian but couldn't decide what animal she liked best and then just plain went overboard.

Arg..so I ranted about her, but where's the limit? Could a person (minus mermaid and witch and stuff) be hundreds of creatures?---excluding the fact that miss Bananas probably needs to do some serious soul searching.

#2 2009-08-09 19:06:30

Black Shuck
Website

Re: WereEVERYTHING?

I think Bananas just wants to be part of the cool crowd. You're a therian. Your sister's a therian. Bananas wants to join the club. It also sounds like she's just picking critters she thinks are cool, not critters she particularly resonates with on one level or another. That's just my opinion though <_<  I also think "shapeshifter" and "therian" = two totally different things o_O

As for limits, I don't know. I'd think there'd have to be some sort of limit but whether or not there's an actual number could be tricky. As a completely unrelated example a few years ago (like 3 or 4 I think) some cop shot somebody a whole bunch of times. There was outrage that this person was shot so many times (I don't recall the actual number but let's go with 22). We then had to discuss the incident in debate class and, obviously, an arguement ensued. How many times can you shoot a person before it becomes "excessive"? Six times is okay but seven times is just far too much?

The point with that otherwise random anecdote is that I think one can say "22 theriotypes is just excessive" but it's probably difficult to put an exact number on it. There's probably the weird inbetween space that's iffy as to whether or not it's too many theriotypes and then there's the obvious over abundance that's just plain ridiculous.

Anyways, my two cents. Cheers!

"Would you love a monsterman?
Could you understand beauty of the beast?
I would do it all for you, would you do it all,
Do it all for me?" -Lordi

#3 2009-08-09 19:37:14

Cratys
Website

Well I knew Bananas was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. But thanks for the input. It's hard to fathom that even a real therian could be that many critters...I mean I don't think one body could hold that many souls...it would be like trying to stuff three rolls of jumbo toilet paper into a thimble. lol

#4 2009-08-09 22:33:22

WolfVanZandt
Website

There's a mounting body of evidence, especially in the shamanic circles, that there's no such thing as a Werewolf (technically) because every were is capable of shifting to just about anything he or she wants to shift to. The reason Therians don't, is they get settled on one of a small number of theriotypes and never feel the need to go beyond. it may be turning up in the shamanic quadrant first because shamans often need to take more forms in Dreamtime to counter the extreme variety they meet in Dreamtime. Some nonshamanic Therians are beginning to try it out and are finding that they can pretty easily access more theriotypes than they're familiar with.

Board footer