The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-08 19:00:40

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Therianthropy: Something to Declare?

This isn't a personal question that I want to find an answer to (for once!). It's more of just something I thought upon, and wondereed what everyone elses thougts on it were, so please feel free to share your view on this! The more the merrier, right? smile

For me, the fact I'm a Therian is something at this current moment in time, I keep very quiet, it does fit the bill of that 'deep, dark secret' that people supposedly have about themselves. I think the reason being is that, I'm not in a position where I'm independant enough to go off on my own, if my parents knew, my sister, all ym friends...I worry I'd be that 'crazy guy' who gets all sorts of weird stories made up about him. Only 4 people actually know I'm a Therian, and for the moment I intend to keep it like that.
However, is Therianthropy something that needs to be told to people? I always have the little scene in my head of the standard 'coming out to parents scene' but instead of:

Child: Mum, dad...theres something I've been needing to tell you. I'm gay! *insert shocked parents gasps here*

I have the same scene but with "I'm a therian" instead. Although I do think (in my area anyway) being homosexual is a much tamer reaction to someone saying they're a therian.

In the end, I hope to be able to be open enough about it, so that when it somehow gets brought up in conversation, or if someone asks about my personal beliefs on myself...then I'll tell them. Excludin that, I'll keep it to myself generally, I'd see no need in publicly announcing it like it belongs a the news, as it really doesn't! big_smile

So what are everyone else personal appracohes to this? Would you want to tell the world? Keep silent about it? Just be open about it? Share your thoughts!

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#2 2009-08-08 20:32:25

Black Shuck
Website

Re: Therianthropy: Something to Declare?

I kind of see this scene playing out as:
"Mom... Dad.... There's something I need to tell you.... I'm a therian..... "
".... What? Is that like being gay?"
"No, it's like I have the soul of an animal... you know, like native Americans....."
".... What?"
"*facepalm* Nevermind. We'll talk later. I'm late for the game"
"'Kay well, have fun! big_smile "
"Uh... okay. Thanks...."

Anyways, if I were a therian I'd tell close friends and that'd probably be it. I don't think it'd change me enough that everyone would need to be let in on it. Running with the being gay thing for a bit, I can see telling people because while that doesn't change who you are it does change something. Like if I were a lesbian then people wouldn't be like "blah blah blah do you have a boyfriend blah blah blah". Those kind of small conversations would change, nothing important. But what changes if you're a therian? "Wow, that's a really nice looking Great Dane!" "... Freak." o_O I don't think so. So yeah, silly examples, lol

"Would you love a monsterman?
Could you understand beauty of the beast?
I would do it all for you, would you do it all,
Do it all for me?" -Lordi

#3 2009-08-08 22:35:08

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Just the people in my community know about my wolfy self. Then again, belonging to a Pagan community where over half of the people are were's/therians...it makes it pretty easy to be out about everything.

But tell my parents? Er...no. I don't think I will. They know my faith, but they don't know the details of it, nor do they care to. They'd probably just pass it off as a phase and wait for it to pass. Then again, they've been waiting for me to come out of my phase about being bisexual for 5 years now.

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown
Apart, we are broken. Together, we are one.
Oh yeah...did I forget to mention that I'm unhealthily obsessed with bunnies?

#4 2009-08-09 00:03:05

WolfVanZandt
Website

No, I don't think it's something a particular Therian needs to "come out" about. I think that there are some of us, though, that will have to stand up for the community because, whether we like it or not, we're already out.

#5 2009-08-09 09:19:13

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

I think I might of overdone it with the analogy to the stereotypical 'coming out' idea. Whoops! I can't really find something adequate to have a comparison with when it comes to therianthropy. Using the example of 'coming out' if you are gay/bi/lesbian wasn't really the best idea, as then its comparing therianthropy with sexuality in some ways.

I know that you, WolfVanZandt are known in your area as being a werewolf right? Was there a point before where it wasn't known to others, and if so, how did it become 'common knowledge' to the community in your area? Sorry if I'm throwing a random question at you, I'm just quite interested.

I do have this 'ideal' picture in my head of me being a therian to be common knowledge to others. I think it's probably a lot more realistic than I give it credit for, as I tend to have a more pessimistic view on my area (which I wish I didn't) based on what I've experienced before. People can be insulted, teased and even physically bullied for their own beliefs, thoughts and ideas, just because they don't fit the norm. Therianthropy i quite literally unheard of in my area, so its definately something that doesn't fit the norm. Then again, this was back in high school when I came to pick up this pessimistic view on society. I think people will be more accepting than I give them credit for, I just need to realise it myself.

I don't think being a therian should be anything thats seen as weird though, which was a big fear of mine when I came to the realisation of it. (Yeah, I'm too concerned with what people think of me, I'll admit to that). It's definately not anything to define someone by, theres more to a person that just being a therian. Again with the analogies, but I don't think anyone defines others just by their religion, race, the fact they're a football fan, are obsessed with "insert TV show here", their sexuality, whatever it may be...theres so much more to a person than the label;s we can pin onto them.

I went off on a lot on non sensical tangents there. big_smile

#6 2009-08-09 11:37:50

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

I don't necessarily think that it needs to be expressed to the world, and not because it needn't be but because technically it is already out there in a way. It just isn't well known, nor looked at too often.  Personally I think it is up to an individual to decide if they were to tell someone, be it just telling their friends, to telling their contacts or telling everyone they meet. It would be a personal choice. For myself, I'm very content just having my very close friends know about that particular detail about myself. I think if for some reason I was directly asked a question about myself that if I were to not say I was a Therian would be dishonest I might say so, however, the chances of a question being posed in such a fashion is very low. I agree very much with your random tangent, yes being a Therian is something you are but there is so much more than labels to an individual. It is the dynamic combination and workings of so many millions of things that make an individual, not a single label can describe it all.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#7 2009-08-09 14:04:07

WolfVanZandt
Website

I've never gone out of my way to broadcast the fact that I'm a Werewolf. There were several years in Selma that it wasn't common knowledge. By the time it had become common knowledge, I was well established here.

I believe that the most successful strategy for being open about any personal difference is to let people know you as a person first and then to know you as a ______ (fill in the blank). The assumption, of course, is that they first come to value you as a person. A community will value 1) experience and 2) service. If a community understands that you have potential and you're willing to use it for the well being of the community, nothing else seems to matter. The people that constantly complain that people mistreat them, ignore them, and/or just don't like them, in my experience, are people who never make the effort of cultivating their relationships with the people around them.

And I agree with Vindicator. It's important that you develop relationships with others, person-to-person, not Werewolf-to-Mainstreamer. In most instances, the Werewolf part is irrelevant.

The only reason I'm so open is that I can be and I feel that I can benefit the Therian community (and indirectly, others) by it.

#8 2009-08-09 22:41:32

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. (I know I just added a lot to this conversation, but honestly I got tired of just 'sitting back' and reading this thread and not commenting.)

For me, there's really only one person that I've been compelled enough to tell. In my situation, this is a friend that is more or less a brother to me and I knew that it wouldn't make any impact on our friendship. The main reasoning behind me telling him was that we hang out so much and share so much about each other that I figured it was best to be open about it all. (Again, I can't stress the fact that we were already best friends, so I knew that telling wouldn't ruin our friendship.) In the end, I'm pretty glad I did because it has allowed me to 'act more myself' when we're hanging out, which I actually find to be quite a special situation.

More recently, I started to tell a cousin of mine while I was on my trip downstate visiting the folks this week, but I quickly put that notion aside after a. He had no idea what a therian was (unsurprisingly) and b. He thought I was nuts when I asked him if he liked to howl. Why I wanted to bring it all up with him, I don't know. I guess I thought it might be a family thing or something, and he would've been the one that I thought would be a leading candidate if there was another therian in my family, but it is quite apparent now that that was a false logic.

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#9 2009-08-10 05:08:29

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Hahaha, I had a similar situation with telling my best friend too White. We're both oretty much joined together as we're that close. I went through a brief period of worrying that if I told her, she might distance herself a bit, as she found it a bit odd, but after telling her it really wasn't the case. And, as you said White, it's allowed me to be more like 'myself' when we do hang out. It's still unusual to think about it, but it is really good I have a friend like her.

I've never thought about telling family much, as my parents would probably assume it's some 'weird phase', my sister would find any possible way to mock me, and the rest of the family would just see me ss odd. I'd be fine with the odd thing now I think about it.

WolfVanZandt wrote:

I believe that the most successful strategy for being open about any personal difference is to let people know you as a person first and then to know you as a ______ (fill in the blank). The assumption, of course, is that they first come to value you as a person. A community will value 1) experience and 2) service. If a community understands that you have potential and you're willing to use it for the well being of the community, nothing else seems to matter. The people that constantly complain that people mistreat them, ignore them, and/or just don't like them, in my experience, are people who never make the effort of cultivating their relationships with the people around them.

And I agree with Vindicator. It's important that you develop relationships with others, person-to-person, not Werewolf-to-Mainstreamer. In most instances, the Werewolf part is irrelevant.

I do agree with this a lot, I think people do value others for being a person first, rather than what categories and labels you can fall under. If you can benefit the community and the community sees this, then why should the fact you're this that or the other, affect it in the slightest.
The sentence starting with "The people that constantly complain" I think struck a note with me; although I'd be reluctant to admit it. I think a lot of the time I am like that. After seeing a good friend of mine have his school life made pretty unenjoyable...just because he was 'different' to most others in a way, and he was more open about it, I think I picked up a bad outlook on people in general. I was pretty ok during school, got on with everyone fine and vice versa, but I still didn't like how people who I saw as friends could change and act so horrible to someone else just because what they believed was different to them.
I think I need to get rid of my high school opinions on people, as people do grow up, and not everyone is like that. It'd also be good if I made an effort to strengthen the relationships with the people in my community, as well as forming new ones. Avoiding people, and not wanting to get 'involved' because of mu bad outlook really doesn't help that. I want to get involved with things, and with people, I think it's just a case of getting my opinion of people to 'grow up' as well. smile

That was a very big rant about myself, I think it had some relevance, but it got lost somewhere in there! lol

I do also agree with Vin on the idea of if someone asked you if you were a therian. I wouldn't say no, as that is being dishonest, so I'd say yes. Although, I couldn't imagine a situation where that would actually be asked, so it's a very unlikely scenario to me! big_smile

Board footer