The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-13 20:46:00

Oarys

Philosophy of Fear: The illusion called Reality

One must first indulge before he can truly abstain. For it is foolish to eschew the unknown without proper study, only judging it by the natural prejudice that the unfamiliar is unsafe.
Is that assumption not often an exaggerated reflex, a result of fear induced by potential harm, which overwrites the many benefits of new experiences?

Fear is our initial emotion in situations unusual to us, a result of the primal instinct of self-preservation humankind inherited from their ancestors. Although the importance of this heritage cannot be denied, neither can the fact it is in some cases more of a hindrance than an asset.
The most interesting of these cases, perhaps, displays in the situation where one is confronted by a foreign, sentient entity, which is aware of the others’ presence. Although one may have never come across this entity, in most cases, if not always, the prejudice stated earlier marks the creature with the stigma of potential predator.
Only a few have shed this automatism, as they have understood that mystery also holds possibility. Maintaining but the necessary amount of prudence and distance, they examine and observe, and if possible, even make an attempt at communication. Only then, when they have an adequate understanding of the entity, they decide whether or not it is a threat to them.

With regard to human culture and spirituality, this attitude of prejudiced abstention is a catalyst for the origin of and purpose behind myths, legends, and sagas, all narrating about creatures like dragons, werewolves, et cetera. They are regarded as fictional beings, and often is it said that they possess an evil trait, their nature purposed to instill fear and urge people not to delve in the unknown, at the risk of being denied eternal rest on the other side.
However, the impossibility of their existence has yet to be proven; up until now no one has found decisive evidence indicating none of these creatures inhabit this world. As a result, the evil nature of these beings, which is only implied by those legends, cannot be taken for granted.

Despite this vital deficiency though, modern humanity has rejected the possibility of other (in)sentient races living alongside or among us. However, this is an illusion created by lack of knowledge and the need of dogmas. Allowing that thought to be plausible holds the trigger to driving humankind in its present state to insanity and self-destruction; they would suspect and fear all but trust no one. Ergo, as a self-defense mechanism, people secure their lives with the claim the world is void of such ‘monsters’, but without questioning the grounds of this assumption, nor providing a solid basis for it.

For myself, I have found out that this ignorance brings more grief than happiness, as it chains one within a perimeter of ‘thoroughly inspected’, but false, safety. As a result of the unwillingness to give up that safety, even for the slightest moment, to be able to explore new territory, this perimeter shall never widen; like a lantern’s light will only travel for a set distance, meeting darkness at its fixed border. This way, people rob themselves of the chance to learn, eliminating the possibility of growth.

In my opinion, it is imperative that people face that darkness and understand for themselves that it does not always hold peril. Otherwise, in the one occasion where the opposite scenario unfolds -an alien and malignant entity intruding their ‘safe’ space- people will not have the skill to deal with the threat, and if they do expose of it, the only ‘reward’ is the expansion of their already enormous fear. The lantern shatters.

To conclude, I invite you, reader, to reflect upon yourself and discover which attitude you exhibit. Even if you find yourself to be like the fearful majority, there is no need to feel guilt about your stance. It is only a natural instinct. But if you are willing to change and discover, I can only advise you to broaden your view and open your mind to the new sensations you will experience. You may even find that that which is still shrouded in mystery to many might be of more use to you than one might anticipate.

A somewhat long essay about the fear of the unknown. Only insiders will know which entity/creature and sensations I'm referring to, though smile

Last edited by Oarys (2009-08-14 09:23:32)

Life, the greatest gift of them all.

#2 2009-08-13 21:07:31

wolfblood17

Re: Philosophy of Fear: The illusion called Reality

Welcome to Werewolf Cafe Oarys! I understand your meaning completely.  We need to face these fears and understand that we may not be the only beings other than animals on this planet or universe.  We do tend want to kill an unknown entity.  That should stop.

big_smile (with fangs!)

#3 2009-08-14 10:45:15

Oarys

wolfblood17 wrote:

Welcome to Werewolf Cafe Oarys! I understand your meaning completely.  We need to face these fears and understand that we may not be the only beings other than animals on this planet or universe.  We do tend want to kill an unknown entity.  That should stop.

Thank you, and I'm glad you agree with it. I hope as well this human attitude will change one day.

Life, the greatest gift of them all.

#4 2009-08-14 17:25:33

wolfblood17

Your welcome!  Its just that people are afraid of change and new things.

big_smile (with fangs!)

Board footer