The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-02 17:37:05

Cratys
Website

Furries vs. Therians?

Furries and therians, what's the difference?Is there one? You can answer here and/ or see my other thread in the non-werewolf topics board.

#2 2009-08-02 17:58:32

Hussar

Re: Furries vs. Therians?

My understanding is that a furry is simply anyone who is a fan of anthropomorphic media, and a "fursona" based on an ideal self, while a therian believes that their spiritual self is at least partially animal, that animal part being identified through introspection.

But then, I could be talking out of my arse.

UBIQUE
Engineer definition:  Everywhere
Artillery definition:  All over the place

#3 2009-08-03 09:25:25

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

From what I know, a furry is a person who is a fan of anthromorphic media, as Hussar said. They can create a "fursona" which tends to be an animal or anthromorphic animal based upon themselves, or as Hussar said, and ideal self, although I don't think the fursona is something essential. to be a furry.
A Therian is a person who believes that part of themself, it could be spiritual or psychological, to be a particular animal(s). Feeling a strong conncection with a certain animal(s) so they identify with it.

I think to note a difference, furries can choose to adopt their "fursona" whenever, it's not something that is identified with on a deep level. Therians cannot stop being Therians...their feelings, thoughts and 'animal' self, is always present in some way.

I do believe that the 2 can overlap, a Therian can also be a Furry.

Thats my top of the head, basic definitions. I could of said something that others may not agree on, but thats my chip in to this topic. smile

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#4 2009-08-03 22:19:13

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

To me...yeah.  A furry is someone who simply thinks animal people are cool/rpers, and a therian is someone who's spiritually feels like an animal.

And yup, a therian can easily be a furry I think.  I have absolutely no interest in it though.

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#5 2009-08-04 02:58:15

WolfVanZandt
Website

To throw a complication into the mix.....

There are Therians (specifically shamans) who are beginning to suspect that Therianthropy doesn't involve a "particular animal" but that most Therians simply get used to a particular animal type and get stuck there. It's possible that Therians can shift into just about any type of animal - or at least a group of animals.

It's possible that Therians are not animal shifters but animal shamans.

#6 2009-08-13 17:13:32

Crimsonwolf

WVZ if that's true then wouldn't that make every therian a polywere? Also if Therians are animal shamans how would you propose we go about figuring out how strong of a shaman we would be cause I know my teacher is incredibly strong and is teaching me many things that he knows and I was wondering if you could elaborate on what you mean by what you just said

You want to know about me email me and ask

#7 2009-08-14 00:28:08

WolfVanZandt
Website

Well, if it turns out to be true, then we'll have to revise our take on polywerism. As it is, most Therians are still going to have a theriotype or a small set of theriotypes that's vastly dominant over the others.

As a shaman, I can't imagine "how strong a shaman we would be" would be an issue. Shamans only need to be strong enough to get the job done. Therian shamans seem to be at least that proficient.

Therians are natural shamans so issues of competition and such don't seem to come up very often in the community and we're not interested in competing with Mainstreamer shamans. There are some issues of conflict, though. if you're a Therian, the phantom body (if you have one) is a power body and if you do the usual shamanic thing of procuring a new power body, I don't know what kind of damage that would entail.

I don't mean to imply that all Therians are professional shamans who journey. That's not the case. All Therians are equipped to be shamans but they don't all use the equipment.

#8 2009-08-15 01:46:01

Crimsonwolf

I showed my teacher what you said and he agrees with you and I personally think you are right too also I recognize the amount of wisdom you've aquired over the years you have lived and would honored if you would continue to teach and enlighten those of us who are still young and have much growing and learning to do.
So in short I am saying that if I were ever in your area I would love to meet and learn from you.

Also on a side note I think I found the missing clue to p-shifting I still need to consult this with my teacher but though once I have either an answer or successful shift I'll be sure to let you know

Last edited by Crimsonwolf (2009-08-15 01:56:55)

#9 2009-08-15 04:42:50

WolfVanZandt
Website

Well, we've had Therians from Michigan at the SEHowl. Come on down sometime and, if you find the trick to p-shifting, you'll have to show us.

(BTW, I have no idea of your age. If you're under 18, wait until you reach our minimum age requirement (18) before you show up.)

Last edited by WolfVanZandt (2009-08-15 04:44:45)

#10 2009-08-15 11:09:58

Crimsonwolf

I'm 23 so there is a good chance I'll show up you'll just have to let me know when the next howl will be

Last edited by Crimsonwolf (2009-08-15 11:12:17)

#11 2009-08-15 18:31:20

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

p-shifting?....phantom shifting?

They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."

#12 2009-08-15 23:18:03

Crimsonwolf

Physical shifting

#13 2009-08-15 23:31:28

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

im on the brink of it.....changing the bone structure is the first step.....and is very painful

They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."

#14 2009-08-15 23:34:12

Crimsonwolf

You might want to stop if your trying to force the change

#15 2009-08-15 23:43:01

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

so far the furthest ive gotten is changed eye color and casting the shadow of a wolf

#16 2009-08-15 23:50:36

Crimsonwolf

Ok but I still think you shouldn't force it in my trails I forced a change earlier today and got horrible results

#17 2009-08-16 23:49:30

WolfVanZandt
Website

Crimson is very correct.

First, eye color and shadow are not p-shift. Mainstreamers change eye color and the shadow thing is a phantom shift (or astral shift if you wish).

I'm working with several people who forced themselves into a bad situation. I especially get tired of helping people who never would have been in the situation they're in if they had taken my advice to start with.

BTW, Crimson. I think, if you thought about it, you'd realize that if I kept every Therian who is interested in the SEHowl updated individually, that's all I'd ever be doing. I post updates on the Werelist, the Weresource, and the SEHowl mailing list (there's a link on the Werelist and Weresource.)

Last edited by WolfVanZandt (2009-08-16 23:53:49)

#18 2009-08-19 01:52:20

Crimsonwolf

good point WVZ and I've joined the SEhowl mailing list

#19 2016-03-01 14:55:57

Wolfie Bloodmoon

Isn't being a therian more spiritual than being a furry I may be wrong because I'm still kind of new to the whole therian thing but I dont know

#20 2016-03-01 15:10:54

WolfVanZandt
Website

"Therian" is a word invented by Weres to refer to themselves in conversation with Mainstreamers so the first image in the others mind isn't movie Werewolves. A Therian is supposed to be a Werewolf, but the term was taken up by everybody who fancied that they had some resemblance to a wolf, so now, a lot of Werewolves vehemently deny that a Therian is a Werewolf.

I don't know what a "spiritual Werewolf" is. I suspect it's a claim that people make when they want to be something but they can't show any substantive evidence that they are what they claim to be. Spirit is often thought to be something that has nothing to do with matter, but if something exists, it has some effect on its surroundings so, "spiritual Werewolf" might just mean a Werewolf in head only (Or for short, WINO -  "werewolf in name only")

But the Therians I know are not just spiritual. They have definite physiological differences. They don't turn physically into wolves but, then, neither did the Werewolves that have left historical accounts of their lives.

Anyway, it's gotten to where "Therian" means pretty much anything you darn well want it to mean.

Board footer