The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-23 20:03:27

Whitewolf_Spirit

Werewolf folktales

I know there's another thread on here similar to this, but I wanted to have my own. ^^; I've always loved the old werewolf tales, even if it portrays the werewolves as the bad guy so I've started collecting lore and such on them. If you have your own, feel free to add to the thread of course. I've read several variations of this story, but here's one of them:

Three workmen were mowing a meadow. Noon came, but no one had brought them their meal yet, so they agreed to mow one more round and then to lie down beneath a bush until the food arrived. And that is what they did. Two of them fell asleep immediately, because one never sleeps better than when one is tired, and there is no softer bed than one made from flowers and grass.
The third workman, however, tied a wolf strap around his waist and crept up to a herd of horses that was grazing there. The best foal was just right for him. He grabbed it and killed it. The remaining horses and the herder ran off. The other harvesters saw what had happened, but they wisely pretended to be asleep, for they were frightened and horrified.

After the werewolf had satisfied his hunger, he took off the strap, came back, and lay down to rest. Their food soon arrived: a large pot full of porridge and for each man six boiled eggs plus some bread and salt. As the two harvesters were helping themselves with their wooden spoons, the werewolf said, "Earlier I was terribly hungry, but for some reason I don't feel like eating now." The two others said nothing.

The one harvester complained the entire afternoon about cramps and a stomach ache, and often went to the brook to quench his burning thirst. The two others said nothing. That evening, as they were on their way home, he said once again that he had never felt so stuffed, to which one of the harvesters replied that it could happen to anyone.

When they arrived at the town gate, and he was still complaining, the other workman said, "A person who eats an entire foal should not be surprised to feel stuffed and have stomach cramps. To that he replied, "If you had said that earlier, you would not now be walking home on your own legs." He then threw his scythe away, tied the strap around his waist, turned into a wolf, and was never again seen in that place.

"If I live, or if I die, then am I, a happy fly?" ~Renfield

#2 2009-08-30 02:11:40

the_wolf_mage7

Re: Werewolf folktales

cool story but its kinda stereotypical. in alaska most of our storys are about werewolves who have learned to control their transformations and try to protect human life. (thats actually where i got my username ^_^)

how lonely is the night, without the howl of a wolf?

Board footer