The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-03 16:20:11

Darx

Forgetting about your werewolf identity

Ok, first off, I'm new to the site so hello everyone. Now, here is the story:

I have a friend who claims to be a werewolf of some kind. We'll call her E. I've always known that E was a bit different from others, but I never really understood why. Last night we had a discussion where she finally told me what she was. She is wolf-like in attitude and manner. She claims to be able to hear things at higher frequency, smell better, and run faster. We used to date and certain things I did (i.e. kiss her neck) she said would loosen her "control". She is gravely afraid of losing "control". I believe her because it explains a lot of her mannerisms and other things.

The one thing I'm worried about though is this: E said that she had a pack once. When I asked what happened to them, she said they forgot. I've heard similar stories of human-like creatures that bury their identities because this world pushes them to believe they don't exist. So finally, my question is this: What can I do to ensure she doesn't forget? I'm the only one she's told who believes her. I don't think I can handle being the only one who holds this secret. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

#2 2009-08-03 16:48:29

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Re: Forgetting about your werewolf identity

Well I know where "E" is coming from in telling someone about such things. It is very hard, and there is a tremendous fear of being rejected, especially by those who are close to them. The best thing you can do is to just be there for your friend, as she has trusted you enough to relate this personal thing to. Now as for the forgetting, well the best thing that anyone can do is to just be themselves. You are yourself and that is the only person you can be, so if you try repressing who you are it can lead to forgetting who you are or becoming someone new. So again the best thing would be to be true to yourself, be who you are, as that is all you can be. wink

Also there is a thread on Therianthropy. A Therian is someone who identifies on a deep level spiritually or psychologically. At one time they were known as weres. Well anyway a look there my be enlightening for both you and your friend. I wish you the best of luck. smile 

I hope this helps some, and on a lighter note, Welcome to the Cafe'.

Last edited by Vindicator (2009-08-03 16:55:00)

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#3 2009-08-04 21:58:13

Darx

Thank you both, I guess just being yourself would make sense to be the best way to preserve yourself. I've actually come to a pretty bold decision: I'm going to start a log, take data, and work some tests. I guess you could call it an experiment, but E means more to me than that. I'm more experimenting with her attributes. I've already got some hypothesis and tests lined up. I'm going to take it two ways; 1. In a psychological/spiritual manner where I'll examine her connection with nature (animals, the moon, etc.) as well as the effects of her condition on her psyche. Then 2. In a biological manner. At some point, I'll try to run some blood tests to see if her cells operate on a different and/or faster manner than that of a normal human.

I will definitely refer to the Therianthropy thread as well as here for some input and data as well. I'd like to try to get E on here too, I think it would help her to know there are plenty of others like her. Thank you for your help and I will update you if I make some interesting finds.

#4 2009-08-04 22:08:32

Vindicator
Website

Well I would suggest that you abstain from biological "tests." As a there has yet to be a physical werewolf in reputable existence. Genetically she is human and therefore her body which is created from the genetic information is human as well. I would also advise that you make sure E is aware of what you intend to do, as it could be a betrayal of trust if you were to conduct anything with out her approval.

Last edited by Vindicator (2009-08-04 22:08:48)

#5 2009-08-04 22:34:42

Illeana_NightRain
Website

The best thing you can do is encourage her to be herself and not hold anything back.
As for the er...tests...be careful with that. She may start to feel like you're more focuses on what she is than who she is. and I agree with Vindicator on the biological ones. Best to be avoided. Our bodies are human, even if certain things may be different like hearing or smell, so everything will show up just like a human's would.

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown
Apart, we are broken. Together, we are one.
Oh yeah...did I forget to mention that I'm unhealthily obsessed with bunnies?

#6 2009-08-05 02:36:43

Darx

Oh I had full intention of letting her know of everything I planned to do. The majority of it all is just observation with a little bit of meditative practices. As for the blood tests, as long as she approves, I don't see the harm in just looking. Its not like i need a blood pack from the girl lol. Just a drop to look under a microscope. If it all looks human, well even thats evidence. It actually would go to support one of my theories if thats true, and I agree, since she was born of a human mother it most likely will be. Still, I see no harm in just looking if she approves. In actuality, im more of the one at risk in that case cuz I don't just have a microscope on hand, I would have to "borrow" my school's XD

#7 2009-08-06 03:14:55

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

I think E sounds like she's off her rocker. neutral
Therians don't really have a physical difference from other people -it's mainly mental- so the physical tests would be useless.  As for this idea of fear of 'loosing control' from being kissed, and 'packs' who 'forgot', that sounds delusional and dramatic to me.  Can't say with any certainty, as I've never met her, but that's how it's coming across.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#8 2009-08-06 11:22:55

Vindicator
Website

To be honest, I find your want to experiment on your friend to be a bit disturbing. Something about it does not seem correct. I really do believe that if anything all that is required is for you to be a friend. As has been said around, the only person who can decide if they are a Therian is themselves. No one else and no experiment can tell them this. If it turns out as others have suggest to be just role playing then the phase will pass.   I would again urge just to be a friend to your friend, for that appears from your description, the only thing that is really necessary.

Last edited by Vindicator (2009-08-06 12:48:04)

#9 2009-08-06 12:20:32

Berserker

SherlawkDragon wrote:

I think E sounds like she's off her rocker. neutral
Therians don't really have a physical difference from other people -it's mainly mental- so the physical tests would be useless.  As for this idea of fear of 'loosing control' from being kissed, and 'packs' who 'forgot', that sounds delusional and dramatic to me.  Can't say with any certainty, as I've never met her, but that's how it's coming across.

I agree. Although I don't think anyone is off their rocker, I think this is just another case of fantasy role-playing, plain and simple. Nothing to do with therianthropy, of course. Time to eject Underworld from the DVD player and put the Twilight books back on the shelf. Making up stories to get attention is only natural for a kid, but just don't take it so far that you start insulting people's intelligence.

Last edited by Berserker (2009-08-06 12:26:56)

Our Marcuse, only better.

#10 2009-08-06 22:40:16

Darx

Hahaha all funny and possible outcomes. I guess only time will tell really. Of course I originally thought it could be fantasy too, but she doesn't just do this when people are around or really throw around the behavior itself honestly. If she wanted attention, I think she would lead others to try and see her behavior, but she doesn't. She just kinda lives her life this way. She's always kept people at arm's distance and resisted anything that could loosen her control of herself (drugs, sex, etc.). As for losing control, its just another way of saying giving in to instinct. I think she has the instinct to do things this way, but thats not always safe. She told me about a story where she was running with her pack and one of them didn't listen to what she was telling them. She proceeded to lose control, give in to instinct, whatever really, but hurt him pretty bad. She and the rest of them made it look like he fell off a tree.

Now this is all secondhand of course, I have no real evidence, and it is possible shes just living in fantasy. Honestly, I think she is fabricating some of it, but not all of it. I definitely believe there is a more...animal-like side of her that she tries to keep at bay. That would cover the mental therianthropy. I think shes bought into that so much that she's tricked herself into thinking she has the physical attributes. And finally I think she's completely making up the pack thing for attention.

So shes definitely not a werewolf, and she may not even be a therian. Theres just one thing that im focused on, and thats her control of her instinct. Vindicator, I can see why it seems disturbing. To be honest, I've scared myself with some thoughts I've had, but had the control to make sure their just thoughts. But, when I was younger, I had a similar case. There was just some part of me that wasn't like my normal self. It was so engulfed in rage and bloodlust that it was honestly terrifying, to myself and others. So I fought to keep it at bay until I did something that seemed to put it at ease (id rather not say what because I think it would make some people discredit everything). That's whats got me so interested. Is her instinct the same craze that I tried to hold back? I know it could just be pent up rage and aggression in both cases, but what if its not?

The part of us, the more animal part, scares normal people so much that its put in the shadows or only seen dramatized by hollywood. What if there is more behind our rather carnal nature than just some blind rage mode? When it comes down to it, maybe I just want to believe in a deeper connection with something different. This could all just be bogus really. But your talking to a person who would wish on a star almost every night for superpowers then jump out of the top bunk bed to see if i gained the ability to fly. I've wanted anything even close to supernatural to be true since I could utter the word. Thats why I want to do this experiment. I want to try and prove its not just some fantasy bullcrap.

#11 2009-08-06 23:25:16

WolfVanZandt
Website

The problem is that it's not instinct to hurt people simply because they don't comply. Even what appears to be violent behavior among wolves doesn't end with them hurting each other except when they are actually fighting. That kind of behavior is usually mediated by conscious thought - for instance, "If I don't hurt this person, the others will think I'm weak, therefore, I must hurt him and make him an example." Even in overly aggressive wolves that do hurt others, it's not wolf instinct or else they would all act like that, and they don't.

The myth that wolves are violent animals is pretty much just that - myth. What looks like violence to us is not - we just don't understand what we're seeing.

Werewolf instinct doesn't typically tend to violence and when it does, I usually am suspicious that the person is acting the way they "think" (based on the myths) a wolf would act - that might be subconscious or it might be intentional - but it certainly wouldn't be instinctual.

#12 2009-08-07 12:45:51

Darx

Well that would make sense with her story because she said the rest of her pack told her to hurt him since he disobeyed and I can see why she wouldn't want them to think she was weak. Still though, she said she only really hurt him when she "gave into instinct". I'm not saying wolves are violent animals, I'm saying I think or hope (not even sure which at this point) that there is something important about this more savage part that we have/had. But the whole pack thing is the least believable part of the entire story. The only reason I believe any of it is because she acts like she needs to be in control whether people know or care why or not.

Hell, even if it is all bogus, she's fooled herself so deeply to the point where she's living her life by this false belief, which is just as much of a problem i think as the story actually being true. In that case, I would need a way to help her realize its all in her head without crushing her or submitting her to therapy, which I know would never happen, though maybe it would just all pass if i let time go on, but I don't really know.

#13 2009-08-08 01:37:13

WolfVanZandt
Website

I'm not saying it's bogus - I'm saying that "savagery" you see isn't a constant in the Therian community - it's a personality factor - both in individuals and is individual groups. "We" don't have any more of a "savage part" than Mainstreamers. In that aspect, if I had to make a guess, there is less savagery in the Therian community than there is in the Human community at large.

And the other thing is that, if we "over act" the Therian part and we're fooled by the modern myth of the Werewolf as a ravening beasts, then we don't do ourselves justice. Thankfully, most Therians don't play parts and the ones that do grow out of it soon after they leave puberty.

#14 2009-08-08 22:30:17

Illeana_NightRain
Website

From the sound of it, a lot of it is in her head. But often times, that makes it more real to someone than it ACTUALLY being real. When I was younger, my mother worked in a mental hospital and I spent a lot of days up there during my summer vacations talking to the residents there. There was one girl up there who was admitted for this very thing. At any age she is, it could be a phase that passes, but the older she is, the less likely that possibility is. Also, a lot of people create reasons in their heads why they have particular instincts. These are not always real or possible reasons, but they are conclusions that one's mind comes to that seems logical to them. Often they are made to align with something that someone is very interested in. For instance, if she reads a lot of werewolf books and watches a lot of werewolf movies, she may find herself relating to that and therefore, come to the conclusion that that must be why she believes she is a werewolf. From there the mind will create all sorts of illusions to make that possibility seem more and more real, even to the point of hallucinating actually shifting and running with a pack. There could also be a number of mental disorders that have made her believes these things. The most common ones I can think of are schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder. Both are treatable with the right amount of therapy and in some cases, medications.

The best thing you can do for her is to just be her friend and not act like you want to use her as a science experiment because that could worsen the problem. I say that as long as she isn't actually hurting herself or anyone else, let her believe it. But if it escalates to the point of injury or injuring, you might want to try to get her some help.

Another thing you could do is suggest less drastic or more realistic ways to her to harness her "werewolf." For instance, in my spiritual beliefs, werewolves and shifter kin's do technically exist, but it is all spiritually. Even though embracing the spiritual aspect of it can make it feel like it's really happened, nothing has really physically happened and such behaviors can be more easily accepted and dealt with.

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown
Apart, we are broken. Together, we are one.
Oh yeah...did I forget to mention that I'm unhealthily obsessed with bunnies?

#15 2009-08-09 00:21:11

Darx

Hmm I see. You both make really good points. She says that on nights of the full moon she goes out running at night because it makes her feel alive. I asked to go run with her just to see if she acts abnormally. Being someone who went through a fantasy phase, I think I'll be able to tell if she's just acting or not, but of course I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Well thank you all for your insight, it was truly helpful. Sorry if I came off as strange, its just that this topic interests me in a very close way and its easy for me to get carried away. So I appreciate your realistic input thats helped me look at this more maturely.

#16 2009-09-18 11:40:44

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

WolfVanZandt wrote:

The problem is that it's not instinct to hurt people simply because they don't comply. Even what appears to be violent behavior among wolves doesn't end with them hurting each other except when they are actually fighting. That kind of behavior is usually mediated by conscious thought - for instance, "If I don't hurt this person, the others will think I'm weak, therefore, I must hurt him and make him an example." Even in overly aggressive wolves that do hurt others, it's not wolf instinct or else they would all act like that, and they don't.

The myth that wolves are violent animals is pretty much just that - myth. What looks like violence to us is not - we just don't understand what we're seeing.

Werewolf instinct doesn't typically tend to violence and when it does, I usually am suspicious that the person is acting the way they "think" (based on the myths) a wolf would act - that might be subconscious or it might be intentional - but it certainly wouldn't be instinctual.

This. It aggravates me everytime I read a teen angst post on this board by another 14 year old saying that they feel really angry and want to eat meat all the time therefore they must be a wolf therian. Wolves aren't aggressive by nature to other pack members, and usually if they are its for a greater good; to establish pack hierarchy or protect the pack's integrity. I'm a wolf therian and the harmony of the people I perceive as my 'pack' is very important to me. Sometimes, I find arguments and confrontation necessary to maintain pack hierarchy, but I don't get the urge to physically hurt them or anyone and I certainly wouldn't put them in that situation - protecting the pack is more important to me than anything else and I defend it aggressively. If this girl is seriously hurting those she is close to, it is because she is far from being an animal, and actually does have anger management problems. There is no unnecessary savagery in real wolf therians.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#17 2009-09-19 01:02:26

WolfVanZandt
Website

Heh, I used to feel that way Shady until I realized that teens are angsty because they're teens. Hormones and an underdeveloped frontal cortex will do that to you. I don't fault people for being what they are. I do try to keep the facts, as well as I might know them, in the open. There's always a chance that I'm wrong but, then, others can call me on it - I'm happy to debate.

Last edited by WolfVanZandt (2009-09-19 01:03:27)

Board footer