The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-09-02 09:29:04

Mymloch

Re: Most realistic transformation

Are we going to differentiate between CGI and Make-up/Mechanical transformations?  I've seen many discussions in various places where people say one cannot be compared to the other. 

If so, I enjoyed the blond gal's change near the end of Cursed.

#27 2009-09-02 10:10:23

UNODRAGONE
Website

I can't get into CGI for some reason it always looks fake to me sad I miss the days of AWL sad

"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist
within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to
break free from the abyss and move silently among us."

#28 2009-09-02 16:30:54

zockereinstein

Perhaps the future of FX, or at least the good ones, is a mix between CGI and animatronics. You can film a "real" mechanical werewolf to create a realistic effect, and then you can add CGI to polish the scene: background, minor changes, hair, fluids (tears, saliva, blood). And that's it, a decent transformation, but a relative high cost for one scene.

@Mymloch: I liked the scene in Cursed, but it was extremely fast, conservative and the beast was not so lupine. They should have dedicated a bit more time and resources on it... God, they had very talented FX crew!! Well, and Christina Ricci turning into a savage beast could have been a must see wink.

Well, to cover the topic, I am sad to say that the best one was AWIL... 25 years ago. Is someone listening out there?!?!?! Mr Baker kicked your asses with a 25 y/o resources and limited funds tongue.

#29 2009-09-02 19:46:50

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

I thought the blond girl looked kind of...bearish, after her transformation. hmm
Though I do enjoy that scene where she gives Christina Ricci the bird. big_smile

Yeah...it's sad how a transformation scene in a film from 25 years ago is more realistic than any werewolf movie out there today. 

Filmmakers should do something about that. tongue

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#30 2009-09-03 10:14:12

Viergacht

Totalimmortal wrote:

I thought the blond girl looked kind of...bearish, after her transformation. hmm

Bearish? I don't see it. She looked more like a bipedal version of the american werewolf. I really liked the Cursed beast design.

#31 2009-09-03 13:46:11

WolfMontana

I have to agree with Totalimmortal. She looked like an evil teddy bear on steroids.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#32 2009-09-03 13:46:52

WolfMontana

Case in point:
http://www.freewebs.com/loba-de-la-luna/WEREWOLF%206.JPG

#33 2009-09-03 14:18:27

Mymloch

Agreed, but I was simply talking about the transformation CGI, which I thought was pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfeboBA72Ak

Last edited by Mymloch (2009-09-03 14:20:04)

#34 2009-09-03 23:30:35

Viergacht

Still looks nothing like a bear to me.

http://www.campbellriverwhalewatching.com/images/dave_bear.jpg is a bear.

#35 2009-09-04 07:17:02

UNODRAGONE
Website

I don't know if I would go bear route, or just too cute to be a savage werewolf???? I mean look at her! I want to hug her not run from her

"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist
within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to
break free from the abyss and move silently among us."

#36 2009-09-04 19:55:41

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

yeah.
I want to dress it up in novelty Christmas sweaters.
And name it Fluffykins.
hmm

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#37 2009-09-04 20:50:59

WolfMontana

Viergacht wrote:

Still looks nothing like a bear to me.

http://www.campbellriverwhalewatching.com/images/dave_bear.jpg is a bear.

... Wtf? I thought this
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com/images9/chipmunk4.jpg was a bear!

big_smile  Sorry, but it the Cursed werewolf still looks like a bear to me, even after you showed me what a bear really looks like. wink

#38 2009-09-05 00:30:59

Fang87

I ditto on her looking like an evil teddybear.

"It's like a party in my mouth except everyone's throwing-up." Fry - Futurama

#39 2009-09-05 01:41:43

Viergacht

You guys are weeeeeeeird. *throws hands up*

#40 2009-09-05 07:11:33

FenrirVik
Space Cowboy

It's the ear and eye placement. I mean, floppy werewolf ears? Is this a beagle or a creature who stalks the night ravaging its path?

Synchronicity

#41 2009-09-05 18:19:13

Viergacht

I can maybe see the eye/wide forehead, but those aren't floppy ears. It's long hair on the tips of the ears. And anyways bears don't have floppy ears either! The critters from the Howling look more like jackrabbits than this pup.

Last edited by Viergacht (2009-09-05 18:19:55)

#42 2009-09-05 18:51:55

WolfMontana

Viergacht wrote:

You guys are weeeeeeeird. *throws hands up*

Well, yes, but besides that I think FenrirVik has captured it well - the ears are short and wide and look almost rounded (which is bear-like), the face is quite wide, and particularly in the screenshot above - she has quite the rotund and fuzzy body. big_smile

If I had to rank the most realistic transformations for myself, it'd probably be...

1. AWIL
2. Being Human (it really is following very closely in AWIL's footsteps)
3. Doctor Who "Tooth & Claw"
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - I didn't enjoy the weregreyhound look, but the tranformation was well done, similar to the Doctor Who episode of course, in that it's all CGI
5. The Howling - while I LOVED the final form of the werewolf (better than the final form of AWIL), all of the bubbling skin, popping out eyes and constant back and forth with the length of the muzzle was irritating. Did not have the elegant simplicity of AWIL.
6. Fright Night - 'Evil's return to human form
7. Wolf - gradual but believable, but only counts up to the 'stretched' mouth look of his final encounter with the bad dude, since his final transformation into a wolf isn't shown.

Most unrealistic:

1. Howling 3's 'Melt-O-Werewolf' - DEAR GOD!
2. Anything from Dark Wolf
3. Blood & Chocolate (though I truly enjoyed the idea of 'taste the rainbow' werewolves.
4. Van Helsing's 'Excuse me while I rip my skin off' transformations
5. American Werewolf in Paris's 'leg anatomy? we don't need no stinkin' leg anatomy!, and let's break their necks too!' transformations.
6. Dog Soldier's 'This is a very convenient table indeed!' transformation
7. Wilderness - simple morph on a computer, kinda boring.
8. The 'Hair of the Dog' episode of The Dresden Files - loved the half way look, but the morph into the CGI was kinda sad.
9. Underworld - werewolfgorilla transformations.

Most bizarre:

1. Have to give it to Melt-O-Werewolf again.
3. The Company of Wolves AWESOME and bizarre transformation where the wolf comes out of the guys mouth... wow.
4. Romasanta (Werewolf Hunter) - loved that transformation though
5. Bad Moon - asymmetrical werewolf! I actually really enjoyed this movie, the final form of the werewolf, and hey, parts of the transformation were pretty cool big_smile

Like this!

http://www.werewolf-movies.com/screens/movie_23-2.jpg

#43 2009-09-05 21:34:12

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

WolfMontana wrote:

6. Dog Soldier's 'This is a very convenient table indeed!' transformation

HA.
Yeah, I love that movie, but it's obvious the budget wasn't too high.
tongue

#44 2009-09-06 00:58:30

Viergacht

WolfMontana wrote:

- she has quite the rotund and fuzzy body. big_smile

She's cuddly. How else you gonna know she's female? LOL

But yeah, that list is pretty much my feelings on the subject.

#45 2009-09-19 09:33:44

Roi Doberwolf
Pleasantville resident
Website

My faves are:

Ancient and with out the aid of computers (I doth believe...):
American Werewolf in London - not that I'm saying that just to join the bandwagon, I seriously agree with like more than half of you in this topic. ^^
My resoning being this, I've watched the interview on my DVD about how they did it, and I was just in awe... O.O
The creativeness about streatching the limbs and that muzzle scene... simply genius! big_smile
For their time, that movie was better than most done on computer, and that's indeed something to be admired! wink

And for one that's done CGI (computerly):
Cursed - besides that I just LOVED this movie, the transformation scene was incredible, and though it gets tireing not being able to see the whole werewolf through most of the film, it made the end scene and transformation all that more enjoyable. The end result looked great to me! And the sounds and moving/stretching limbs during the transformation was stunning. O.O

WolfMontana wrote:

5. Bad Moon - asymmetrical werewolf! I actually really enjoyed this movie, the final form of the werewolf, and hey, parts of the transformation were pretty cool big_smile

Like this!

http://www.werewolf-movies.com/screens/movie_23-2.jpg

I just watched that yesterday for the first time (certainly not the last)! ^^
The plot and everything was great, but that transformation, certainly deserves an Emmy for most weird if not placed in the worst transformation category! big_smile
The end result was amazing, and like you said towards the end of the transformation, it was looking better, but in the beginning his face looked like it was bubbling! O.O

"Man is not a beast. Compared to man, beast are angels. Do they kill their own for the sake of killing?
Do they worship Satan? Man wrecks, and ravages, and calls the devil. But unlike beasts, and unlike angels...
Man can cry, and confess, and repent. Change, and begin again. GIVE THE DEVIL HELL!"

#46 2009-09-19 21:29:53

Maggiedoodle19
Website

I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon with this one and say, 'American Werewolf in London'. (how much does it suck that they're remaking it?) <-- haha. answer that in a different topic. big_smile

~Maggie

#47 2009-09-20 07:53:19

Daninsky
Website

UNODRAGONE wrote:

I don't know if I would go bear route, or just too cute to be a savage werewolf???? I mean look at her! I want to hug her not run from her

Which makes for a nice contrast to the real b**** she was in the movie. smile

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#48 2011-03-21 20:52:09

WereWolfH

Twilight's werewolves <ducking and dodging tomatoes and eggs> smile   J/K

Being Human, I don't remember the British versin's transformations. But I do know it'd be based from Howling/American WW in London/Thriller

I feel like that's a director's call now and no one really cares about the transformation b/c most of the latest movies, the transformations have been done really quickly.

Take that back Vampire Diaries Tyler's transformation's was probably realistic.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#49 2011-04-10 18:12:40

RedMoonstruck

AWIL still takes the prize for me, as well. It was definitely the most believable out of all the ones I've seen. If you want to be ultra realistic, I would imagine that a transformation from human to wolf (even a bipedal one) would take a few days and be very painful (was it Vampire Diaries that has werewolves like that? I couldn't get past the first episode as  it kept triggering my gag reflex. Dsmile. The transformation back into human form would probably be more so, and a lot more disgusting as all those dead cells would probably be leaking out of the body and...okay anyway, back on track....

And, in spite of what you guys say, I liked the Van Helsing transformation. Yes, it was a bit too fast (took a total of what, ten-fifteen seconds real time?), but the whole sloughing off of skin comes from the myth that werewolves have reversible skin. tongue If they were to remove the whole exterior-sloughing business, and slowed it down a bit, then it would have been just about ideal in my book.

#50 2011-04-10 20:27:14

RadRed21

vampire diaries definitely played up the painful aspect of transformation, so in that sense I give them props for realism even if they didn't show everything.

AWIL will always be the most realistic for me though. no contest for me

Board footer