The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-31 23:42:43

theindiankid

The Origin of the "Werewolf"

As far back as man can recall, there have always been beings that were not quite human yet not quite animal. In some of the oldest cave paintings in Lascaux, France, there are images of alien beings; beings that are somewhere between man and animal. Many ancient cave paintings were done by shamans and people of greater sight that partook in special ceremonies usually involving the ingestion of a psychoactive plant or mixture of sorts (ayahuasca, peyote, etc.).

The origin of the "werewolf" itself was in the middle ages: a time of man's dominance over the mother earth in order to restore the power of god the father. Being "man" or "human" meant being dominant, apart from the earth; something more divine. Turmoil fell on the earth as churches, monuments, roads, and cities were being built to fervently favor the christian God in order to prove their dominance over the mother, something they considered lower than themselves. Even though the planet's hospitality was vital to man's existence and perseverance, it was still ignored and destroyed. People that valued and used to earth to heal (witches, shamans, healers, heretics) were looked down upon, persecuted, and, more often than not, killed.

Thus, an important crop began to decay and a mold developed. The rye crops develop a mold called ergot. When one consumes this deadly mold, it causes horrific hallucinations and hysteria (similar to the effects of belladonna/deadly nightshade); i. e. "animalistic" behavior. Entire towns would be plagued by these infected crops and mass hysteria would ensue. People would run rampant throughout the streets, unable to control their visions, muscles, bowels, and gag reflexes. Outsiders would see the chaos and pain and report it as "demons" or "animals" to others unaware of the horrible plague.

This behavior was immediately associated with the wolf: an animal feared by herders for their flocks and stock, and the typical enemy to the Christian "lamb" referenced in the bible. The trend grew as people became more aware of witches/healers and those with severe mental disorders within their societies. Many were executed or excommunicated from the communities to waste away in the wilderness.

However, today, we associate the "werewolf" or the therianthrope as one who has an inner animal, or one who feels not quite human, or caught between the world of the human and the animal. This brings me back to my first point. Since the dawn of man, we've always known or felt that there were some of us that weren't quite human, or felt more than just instinct. These traits are still feared and frowned upon today, however, humans tend to label and assign things that they don't understand.

loldoctors.

Just my two cents and giving you guys a brief summary of my understanding on the origin of the Werewolf. :3 Feel free to chip in about any insights you might have about this or further detail.

#2 2009-04-01 10:01:55

lupen the wolf

Re: The Origin of the "Werewolf"

People with that "inner animal" were always around, but never really had a name untill recently.

Just thought I'd add that. smile

ego sum quis ego sum....

#3 2009-04-01 16:59:22

theindiankid

lupen the wolf wrote:

People with that "inner animal" were always around, but never really had a name untill recently.

Just thought I'd add that. smile

Note the shamans that painted these people, and the beliefs of all humans before the rise of industrial civilization :3

#4 2009-07-31 02:31:42

Howl-of-dawn

Yes i dislike doctors, dentist in particular (i have a doglike mouth= sharp teeth that dentist want to unsharpen)

Still, i've been wanting to know how this trait is passed down, cause a simple bite wont do
and for what i know i was born like this.

Howl into the night for all that it represents, to the beast moon that gives us power, and as a call to our own and a warning to the ones that pursue us.

#5 2009-08-24 01:04:30

Myth88

Hi, I'm new to the forums lol.

I dunno if this is the right section for this but i hope it is. I've become very intersested in Wolves and Werewolves lately, *Im a Wiccan and beggining to learn about Animal guides*. For some reason seem to remember hearing a story or legend or tale that showed that Werewolves were orginally Guardians or protectors of Nature and sacred places. The problem is though that I can't seem to remembers the details of the story or even when I came across it.

Perhaps I'm going nuts or allowing my research to get the better of me but if anyone has any info on something, anything, similer I would be delighted to hear about it.

best Wishes.

Myth88

#6 2009-08-24 11:58:49

Viergacht

theindiankid wrote:

As far back as man can recall,

Is that further back than woman can recall then?

#7 2009-08-24 16:19:03

Varulfur
Website

The first werewolf on recourd was Peter Stube He was a Cannibal (note can't be a cannibal if not human MUHAAHA) and we was therefore put to death on account of being a Werewolf not a cannibal.

Im Lonely
Im Hungry
I am Crying
I Am the WEREWOLF!!!

#8 2009-08-24 19:48:45

Black Shuck
Website

http://werewolves.monstrous.com/werewolf_timeline.htm

Timeline of werewolf-related stuff (more or less anyways).

Werewolf Timeline wrote:

500 BC
Scythians recorded as believing the Neuri to be werewolves.

400 BC
Damarchus, Arcadian werewolf, said to have won boxing medal at Olympics

100 - 75 BC
Virgil's eighth ecologue (first voluntary transformation of werewolf)

Just the first three for a little taste wink

"Would you love a monsterman?
Could you understand beauty of the beast?
I would do it all for you, would you do it all,
Do it all for me?" -Lordi

#9 2009-08-25 23:09:06

Mymloch

There was King Lycaon who was changed from a man to a wolf by Zeus for cannibalism, but it's not clear whether that was before or after Damarchus, though I'm betting before.

By the way, thanks for that timeline, though I wish it had resources or links added to each entry for further study.

Last edited by Mymloch (2009-08-25 23:09:52)

#10 2009-08-27 21:57:12

WolfMontana

Myth88 wrote:

...For some reason seem to remember hearing a story or legend or tale that showed that Werewolves were orginally Guardians or protectors of Nature and sacred places. The problem is though that I can't seem to remembers the details of the story or even when I came across it...

You should chat with Wolf(vanzandt). He has lots of interesting info on the Nueri. Not sure if that's the same thing, but it sounds like it could be... at least I hope I got that right (and spelled it right wink.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#11 2009-08-30 12:29:56

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

http://dl.id.au/?f=1

That's a link to another werewolf time line that goes into more details on each occurrence. You might find it useful in identifying sources.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#12 2009-09-24 23:10:15

Masqueffex

There is actually a theory that the first werewolves were people who accidentally ate the fungus that formed on rye bread, causing them to go into a trance-like state. Supposedly they would go around the area attacking people with animal-like viscousness. I don;t know how much truth there is to it, but its enough for me to go out and buy some rye bread lol

Board footer