The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-22 09:12:50

The Busboy
Administrator

Other "were" animals (besides werewolves)

Per the request of BlueEyesWolf this forum has been opened for other wereanimals (besides werewolves)...

BlueEyesWolf wrote:

Hm..Why not start a new forum about wereanimals? After all, this were thing is not limited to us werewolves. RedStreak is a good example of that. He is a wereFOX, ya know.

#2 2004-12-22 11:26:12

RedStreak

Re: Other "were" animals (besides werewolves)

I believe there are legends about werepanthers in Africa, and in Hawaii (at least in the Pacific anyway) legends of weresharks and weredolphins.

I also know that many mythical gods also shapeshifted from time to time too.  Isis, goddess of Egypt took the form of a bird, Zeus/Jupiter of Greece has become a bull and swan, and Loki of the Norse became a hawk and mare.  Even in Genesis of the Bible Satan himself took the form of (possessed possibly) a serpent/snake to trick Eve into eating forbidden fruit.

Shapeshifting is clearly a concept that's wide-spread, most likely been with us since our very beginnings.

"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow"
-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#3 2004-12-22 18:25:38

WolfVanZandt
Website

Actually, it's almost a misimformation to concentrate on Werewolves. The only reason we do is that the great majority of Weres and Were legends in Europe were Werewolves (although there were a few Werebears). In other parts of the world, Werewolves are the minority.

The modern Therian community doesn't recognize a split between different Werecreatures. It's more like different people with different personalities.

#4 2004-12-22 18:32:28

NinjaWolf

RedStreak wrote:

I believe there are legends about werepanthers in Africa, and in Hawaii (at least in the Pacific anyway) legends of weresharks and weredolphins.

I also know that many mythical gods also shapeshifted from time to time too.  Isis, goddess of Egypt took the form of a bird, Zeus/Jupiter of Greece has become a bull and swan, and Loki of the Norse became a hawk and mare.  Even in Genesis of the Bible Satan himself took the form of (possessed possibly) a serpent/snake to trick Eve into eating forbidden fruit.

Shapeshifting is clearly a concept that's wide-spread, most likely been with us since our very beginnings.

Even in Japan, tanuki (raccoons), kame (turtles), and kitsune (foxes) have shapeshifting abilities according to legend, though I think the kame ones have less records of them.

Silly, werewolf! Tricks are for ninjas! XD

#5 2004-12-22 18:41:52

WolfVanZandt
Website

And don't forget the Silkies and Kelpies of the British Isles and North Atlantic.

#6 2004-12-23 04:48:21

BlueEyesWolf

What about the Minotaur? I heard stories that he was born that way because of a spell cast on his human mother or he was a human until cursed with a spell that gave him the head and the strength of a bull with the brains to match since he was put in a labyrinth tp kill people who were lost in the that maze.

#7 2004-12-23 15:01:33

WolfVanZandt
Website

Spell? She had sex with a bull (oops, can I say that here?). The spell was Posidon making her fall in love with the beast because Minos held back a sacrifice.

#8 2004-12-23 18:12:27

NinjaWolf

Well, Greek Mythology certainly have ways about sexual preferences on mythological creatures sometimes. :p

#9 2004-12-23 18:13:52

Speedbump

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Spell? She had sex with a bull (oops, can I say that here?). The spell was Posidon making her fall in love with the beast because Minos held back a sacrifice.

The bull she boinked was actually Zeus incognito, unless I'm thinking of a different tale.

#10 2004-12-23 18:29:16

RedStreak

NinjaWolf wrote:

Well, Greek Mythology certainly have ways about sexual preferences on mythological creatures sometimes. :p

Norse on the other hand...

Well when he turned into a Mare the god Lokie got pregnant and gave birth to Odin's horse as it happened. tongue

-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#11 2004-12-23 19:48:32

NinjaWolf

Speedbump wrote:

WolfVanZandt wrote:

The bull she boinked was actually Zeus incognito, unless I'm thinking of a different tale.

Nope. You got it right, Speedbump! He boinked her while incognito. "Boinked"... *giggles* big_smile

#12 2004-12-23 19:49:57

NinjaWolf

RedStreak wrote:

Norse on the other hand...

Well when he turned into a Mare the god Lokie got pregnant and gave birth to Odin's horse as it happened. tongue

*sees one give birth* GAH! My eyes!!! *runs away*

#13 2004-12-23 22:18:05

RedStreak

Speedbump wrote:

WolfVanZandt wrote:

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#14 2004-12-24 04:36:40

BlueEyesWolf

LOL! All right, all right...get your minds out of the gutter,  boys!

Sheesh! All I wanted to talk about wereanimals and you guys turned it into a PG-13 teen movie with talk about..ahem...getting together.

Ok. Here in the West, we have a coyote with a mischievous nature...(sounds like someone I know too well in here :rollseyes:) who loved to play pranks on humans by going as one of them and tricks them though sometimes his pranks would backfire on himself and get him in trouble.

Sometimes he was good like bring fire to man even when he fell over and landed on the fire which that is why he has a stubby tail.

#15 2004-12-24 09:03:10

RedStreak

BlueEyesWolf wrote:

Ok. Here in the West, we have a coyote with a mischievous nature...(sounds like someone I know too well in here :rollseyes:) who loved to play pranks on humans by going as one of them and tricks them though sometimes his pranks would backfire on himself and get him in trouble.

Sometimes he was good like bring fire to man even when he fell over and landed on the fire which that is why he has a stubby tail.

*dressed up as a coyote - sneaks behind Blue and puts a match under his paw - then strikes a second match and lights the first - two minutes later BlueEyesWolf receives the gift of fire to his paws.... wink *

*BlueEyesWolf* YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!

-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#16 2004-12-26 02:17:42

BlueEyesWolf

(Jump into a lake to put out the fire)

And then we have shapeshifters who not only can change from human to wolf but can be any animal they want to be like a young beastly superhero...

(A green Rhino stampedes over RedStreak!)

...who is well-known around here. big_smile

#17 2004-12-26 10:49:17

NinjaWolf

...or like that guy from the old "Manimal" shows in the '80s...

*guy turns into a cobra snake and freezes over Red's chest onto a defensive position.* big_smile

#18 2004-12-26 15:34:31

Johnlindsey289

How about WereCats?

#19 2004-12-26 19:00:22

NinjaWolf

*throws them a ball of yarn and they playfully chases and fiddles with it*

Nah...they love being themselves. wink

#20 2004-12-27 05:36:10

BlueEyesWolf

Or some Dragons that have the ability to change to humans?

(Then a circus firebreather walks by and breathes fire on a cage with corn inside which instantly turn into popcorn! Passes the popcorn to RedStreak and Ninja!)

Notice his skin was so scaly? Oh, this popcorn has a good smoky flavor! Mmmmm...smile

#21 2004-12-27 12:32:17

RedStreak

I believe there are even wereserpents in South Asia (aka vicinity of India).  It's not suprising - cobras and their kin appear to have memory and intelligence (again, they APPEAR to - it's a question of whether or not they have problem-solving intelligence) so its no wonder the people developed legends of such creatures taking human form.

-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#22 2004-12-28 00:45:21

WolfVanZandt
Website

Yer sorta right, Speedbump. There are several versions of the myth. In one, the Bull was Poseidon but in others, the bull was sent by Posiedon as a sacrifice that Minos was supposed to sacrificeto him but the bull was so flawless that Minos decided to keep the bull and sustitute a lesser one in its place. Posiedon noticed and got ticked.

The major power animals in the American West were Coyote, Wolf, Bear, and Raven (those sorta formed a group), and Buffalo Woman, Deer, and Manitou or the Windigo. Of corse, all the animals figured in. Most Native Americans consider shapeshifters to be evil sorcerers. Fortunately, they tend to see Therians as different people.

#23 2004-12-28 00:53:31

WolfVanZandt
Website

BTW, theer is another interesting tie in with Werecreatures and the Minos myth. In some of the tellings Pasiphea, Minos' queen was Media, who had been married to Jason but was stuck away back in the pallace while Jason caroused and neverpaid her any attention. Finally she got sick of him, killed their chidren and escaped to Crete. Media was from Colchis which was on the Northern shores of the Black Sea and her people were all said to be sorcerors. That was also what was said about the Neuri who lived in the same area and were the first recorded Werewolves.

There were also serpent people in South America and in Southern Europe and Western Asia, some peoples believed that when folks died they became snakes so snakes were venerated in their ancestor worship.

#24 2004-12-28 02:49:33

Speedbump

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Yer sorta right, Speedbump. There are several versions of the myth. In one, the Bull was Poseidon but in others, the bull was sent by Posiedon as a sacrifice that Minos was supposed to sacrificeto him but the bull was so flawless that Minos decided to keep the bull and sustitute a lesser one in its place. Posiedon noticed and got ticked.

Ahh, yes. I was getting that tale mixed up with Zeus/Europa.

#25 2004-12-28 19:22:02

WolfVanZandt
Website

Naw, you wuz right. Ther is a version like you said. These myths are folk entities, they never exist in just one variation and they change constantly. There is, in fact, a variant where Zeus was the bull. That may be an instance where the Pasiphae and the Europa myths got tangled up somehwere along the way.

Board footer