The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-09 00:26:35

MarkOne
Website

A Date with Destiny -- (New Edition)

Hello, some of you may have remembered that I wrote an story here on the Cafe forum a couple years back. Looking back on it, I've expanded what I had previously written and have begun work on new chapters which I will post soon. In the meantime, I will be posting the newly expanded chapters here in this new forum. The old one will be phased out completely.

Anyway, here's the first chapter. Please give me any feedback and I'll plan to post new chapters as soon as I possibly can. Thanks.

Extra special thanks to Bloodfang85 for providing the cover art. big_smile

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb160/MarkOneNet/Jake2copy.jpg

Chapter One

Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice.
-William Jennings Bryan

When Jake Powell was 16, he had no idea what destiny had in store for him.
After all, he was just a normal teenager, living life by the day. The biggest things he was worried about at the time was getting acne, trying to pass his exams, or even working up the nerve to ask a girl out on a date.
But then in one night, in one tragic moment, Jake’s life changed.
And his destiny was set in motion.

In the seven years since, Jake’s life has been anything but normal. His life now is plagued by nightmares, pain and bloodshed. Where he’s constantly on the move and always looking over his shoulder. A life where he continues to deal with the emotional --and physical-- scars of that incident so long ago.

This wasn’t the life Jake had in mind. But, little did he know that what happened to him seven years ago was part of a plan. A plan much bigger than he could even dare to realize.
But right now, on this late, cold October evening, none of that mattered to Jake.
He was too busy becoming a werewolf.

Jake collapsed to the floor of his Detroit apartment, his body covered in sweat as sharp pains tore into his gut. It didn‘t matter that the moon was only half full, Jake had learned long ago that life as a lycanthrope doesn‘t follow the Hollywood script. This time, it was something he saw from across the street that triggered his transformation. As his heart raced, Jake knew what was about to happen next as he cried out in pain.

The change started at his hands, as Jake could feel his knuckles pop and his fingers shorten. His palms became rough as black pads formed and thick claws extended out from his fingertips. Jake’s feet soon became paws as they lengthened out and busted through his white socks.
A tingling sensation swept over Jake’s body as strands of brown hair grew throughout his skin. His hair started to grow out as well, adding to the coat of fur that was beginning to form. Jake was then hit by another set of sharp pains as he could hear his bones crack and his ligaments stretch, while new muscles began to form. The added mass took a toll on Jake’s clothing as his dark blue T-shirt split along the back and sleeves, while parts of his blue jeans began to rip.
Jake’s face was the last to change. His eyes burned as they changed from light brown to a dark yellow, giving him a more enhanced vision. Meanwhile, his ears moved to the top of his head as they became more pointed. As the tip of his nose darkened, he could feel his nose and mouth pushing out, as it elongated into a muzzle. Jake’s teeth sharpened as a set of fangs grew out from his now extended jaw line.  He could feel his mind slipping away as primal thoughts took over, fueled by an anger that turned his once high pitched groans into a deep, low growl.
In a matter of moments, Jake Powell had changed into a werewolf. And, as the now transformed beast rose up from the floor, he wasn’t thinking about his destiny. There was only one thing on his mind now…

Several minutes earlier, the young woman called out for help. Yelling as loud as she could, she hoped that someone, anyone would come to her aid.
She was waiting at the bus stop across the street from the apartment building where Jake lived, when she was grabbed from behind by a man dressed in black. As the two struggled for several moments, the lady did everything in her power to ward off the attack. But she was no match for her assailant. Then the man threw her to the ground, the back of her head collided violently against the wet asphalt. Now, as the attacker dragged her away from the bus stop and into the deep alleyways of a nearby abandoned building, it appeared that no one was going to help her.
But someone would.

The window shattered as the werewolf leapt out of the third floor apartment and landed paws first to the ground.  As the beast stood on his toes, he snorted as his breath came out in short bursts of steam against the cool night air. His senses were heightened, as the image of seeing the woman being knocked to the ground was still fresh in his mind. For reasons that the beast could not comprehend, he knew that he wanted to help her. After a few seconds, the werewolf ran across the street as he made his way towards the alley.

After dropping the woman’s body behind a set of dumpsters, the attacker removed his wool cap as he grabbed the woman’s purse.  He then went through the purse, taking out her cash and credit cards. Once that was done, he threw the purse to the ground. The man then took a look at the woman. Even though she was unconscious and didn’t appear to be a threat, he didn’t want to take that chance. He pulled out the knife from his pocket and kneeled over the woman. He smiled, knowing that he was a few moments away from being in the clear.
What he didn’t expect was to get broadsided.

The attacker was stunned for a moment, as he wondered what it was that hit him. But when he looked up and saw a mammoth beast towering over him, he didn’t know what to think. The wolfman, meanwhile, just stared at his prey while he growled. The beast then glanced over at the woman as she laid unconscious a few yards away. When he saw that she wasn’t moving at all, that sent the creature into a rage as he let out a long howl.

When the man noticed that the beast wasn’t focusing on him, he saw his opportunity to escape. He quickly got up from the ground and ran as fast as he could. He only got several yards away before the werewolf caught up to him, as he grabbed the man’s right arm. The man cried out in pain as he heard his forearm snap from the creature’s intense grip. The wolf then picked the robber up from the ground and hurled him several feet in the air, as his body slammed against the brick wall of a nearby building. Writhing in pain as his body hit the ground, the attacker started to cry out for help. But there was no one around to hear him but the werewolf, who closed in with his fangs bared…

A short time later, the werewolf returned to the young lady’s side. He treaded carefully as he approached, looking to see if she was still alive or not. A closer look showed that she was still alive, albeit barely. As he stood over her, he could see her face. It was bruised but it was still beautiful in the beast’s eyes.  Her curly brunette hair, was tied back, but was still a mess as a result of her attack. She was dressed in a brown overcoat and dark pants, with one of her black flats missing from her feet, the other lost somewhere deep in the alleyway.

As the werewolf stood over her body, her head moving from side to side, he got the feeling that he knew this person, although he couldn‘t figure out how. Then, for a brief instant, she opened her eyes. He quickly backed away, as he wondered whether she had actually saw him or not.  He then heard several voices calling out from across the street. Knowing that things were going to get crowded pretty fast, the wolfman darted down the alleyway and out of sight. As a group of people ran to the woman’s aid, she groaned in pain as she passed out yet again.

As the werewolf ran out into the abandoned streets, trying his best to avoid getting noticed, he didn’t know that it was too late. Someone had been watching him for several minutes now, parked in a dark car some fifty yards away from where the wolf had cornered the robber. Not only was this individual watching him from afar, he was taking pictures as well. Pointing his digital camera with a high-powered lens, the man got several good shots of the creature as he passed the vehicle. The man, who sported a ponytail and a salt-and-pepper goatee, was dressed entirely in black with a dark jumpsuit, dark overcoat and a black baseball cap. Once the beast was out of sight, the man smiled broadly as he rolled up the tinted windows of the vehicle. After waiting a few moments to set down his camera in a large black bag, the individual started up the car and drove in the werewolf’s direction.

The werewolf continued to run for several more blocks, alternating between the streets and the sidewalks along the nearly desolate neighborhood. He then reached an salvage lot, busting through the wooden fence that surrounded the area.  As he made his way deeper and deeper inside, he found himself surrounded by abandoned cars, stacks of tires and various junk. The creature’s pace soon slowed down to an unsteady walk. His knees soon buckled, as the beast collapsed face first to the ground totally exhausted.   

As his heart rate slowed, it wasn’t long before the transformation started again, this time in reverse. While his bones shifted back to their normal alignment, the brown fur receded back into his skin. The claws retracted into his hands and feet as they assumed their natural shape. Finally, the muzzle shrunk back into his face and the ears returned to its regular position. The werewolf that was lying in the ground several minutes ago had disappeared and an unconscious Jake Powell took his place. 

While Jake was still out cold, the sound of footprints was heading towards him. The individual who was taking photos of the werewolf earlier had arrived at the scene. After  dropping his bag on the ground a few yards away,  the man kneeled over Jake and turned him over, so that he could see his face.

“Well, well, well,“ the man said.  “If it isn’t Jake Powell as I live and breathe. Guess that source of mine was right after all.”
As the man pulled out his camera, along with several other items in his bag, he stared at Jake for a few moments.
“Do you have any idea what hell you put me through the last two years?!“ The man yelled out. “Do you?!“ I have a good enough mind to rip out your throat right here and now and have you done with!” He paused as he collected his breath and began to take several photos of Jake. “But, I won’t! No, killing you would be too easy. Besides, we have a plan to complete, a destiny to fulfill. And you, my young naïve werewolf, are the main component.”

Several minutes later, Jake finally came around as he woke up alone in the abandoned yard. As he slowly sat up and came to his senses, he realized that he wasn’t in his apartment and was outside. His dark blue T-shirt, was a tattered mess covered in blood, along with his hands. His blue jeans was peppered with holes while the cuff legs were shredded and he was barefooted. It didn’t take Jake long to realize that he had changed again.
He then remembered something else, the last thing he remembered seeing before he had changed, a young woman being attacked from his vantage point across the street. Jake remembered seeing her getting slammed to the ground before he blacked out. Seeing  that he’s covered in blood, he knew he must’ve done something else as well.
At that point, Jake heard the sound of sirens as several police cars zoomed past the salvage lot. He quickly got up from the ground so he could find out what happened. Looking at his appearance, he took off his shirt and wiped off the blood from his face and hands before he tossed it aside.  Jake then ran off, hoping that he wouldn’t get caught by the cops. He knew that was the last thing he needed.

No sooner than Jake had left the yard, the man with the goatee and the ponytail soon emerged, as he hid out behind a stack of cars several yards away from Jake’s position. As he walked along the lot, he stopped at the bloodied shirt that Jake had left aside. The man smiled as he knelt over the article of clothing.
“Now Jake, that was sloppy, even for you!“  he said as he dug out a pair of latex gloves from his dark overcoat and put them on. “Didn’t I teach you to take care of loose ends a lot better than that?  Now, yet again, I gotta do all the dirty work for you.“ The man grabbed the bloody shirt and proceeded to make his way to his car.
Once he placed Jake’s shirt inside a plastic bag,  the man pulled out his cell phone from the breast pocket from his overcoat and dialed up a number. A few moments later, someone else responded.
“Hello?” the male voice said over the phone.
“It’s me,” The man said. “Is everything ready? You have his address?”
“Yep, everything’s taken care of here. What about you?”
“Of course, got the pictures and… some added insurance.”
“Cool.”
“Now,” the man remarked. “Let’s move to the next step!”

When the women came to, she was being placed into a stretcher as a paramedic was wrapping her head with a bandage. As her eyes darted from side to side, she could see several ambulances and police cars parked all along the alleyway and out into the street. Meanwhile, someone else  on another stretcher was being placed into an ambulance a few feet away. This one, however, was covered in a white sheet draped in blood.
As a group of people gathered around the crime scene, which was barricaded by yellow police tape, a young man ran over to the back of the crowd, leaning back and forth to get a better look. No one noticed that the man was shirtless and in his bare feet, but Jake didn’t care about his appearance. He just had to know if the lady he saw earlier was all right.
It was at that moment, as the paramedics wheeled the woman past the group of onlookers, that Jake got his answer. The woman glanced at the group of people looking on and her eyes suddenly clicked onto Jake’s face. When Jake noticed that, he nodded at her and smiled. The woman smiled back in response, albeit faintly as she was placed inside the ambulance. She was surprised by the fact that a total stranger would do something like that, but she didn’t give much thought into it as the ambulance doors closed and drove off.
Relieved in the fact that the lady would be OK, Jake made his way out of the crowd as he crossed the street and headed for his apartment. Since he had left his keys inside his place, Jake took another route as he climbed up the fire escape stairs to his apartment on the third floor. After climbing through the window, doing his best to avoid his feet getting cut from the broken glass, Jake makes his way to his bed and collapsed in a heap, as he fell into a deep sleep.

Meanwhile, in an abandoned building across the street, two men stood on the roof as they watched Jake from afar. As the man with the goatee stared through his camera, the second man, the one the first guy spoke to on the phone earlier, looked on with a pair of binoculars.
“So, this is his place, eh?“  The first man said.
“Yeah, I saw him go in there earlier, before all the action started.“ The second guy said with a laugh. This person was dressed like the first, with a black outfit, overcoat and ballcap. Unlike the first person, he was clean shaven.
“Good, everything is going according to plan.”
“So what’s next?”
“We wait it out, get settled in. Give our wayward wolf a sense that things are normal again…”
“And then?”
“Then,” the man with the goatee said with a laugh. “We rock his world!!”

With the exception of a brief mention on the TV news and a small article on the paper the next day, not much was made of the incident. Jake was able to breathe a sigh of relief as no one, especially the ones he was hiding out from knew that he was involved. So for several days, Jake managed to resume his somewhat normal life. He worked at his job at the restaurant, returning to his place afterwards to relax and read, and pretty much kept to himself.
Until a week later, when he saw his picture nailed to the front door of his apartment.
A photo of him as a werewolf.
Jake’s world was rocked.
And his destiny was set in motion.

TO BE CONTINUED

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#2 2008-09-09 16:20:56

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: A Date with Destiny -- (New Edition)

Very nice beginning, MarkOne!

I really appreciate and enjoy the storytelling style of your narration. It reminds me of John Hurt telling stories in front of the fire in Jim Henson's The Storyteller, and that's a really really good thing to remind me of. I also loved where you began the story, at the verge of a TF sequence. You don't mince words or make misdirections, but get right into the action. Very nice!

Your descriptions were both vivid and succinct, especially with the action after the TF sequence, and yet you added enough history and explanation so that the reader has an idea as to the setting of the story. You also added some intrigue with the ebony-clad watchers. It's interesting to note that with a little modification, this segment by itself would make a great short story, but as it is, it makes the reader want a continuation.

Great job, MarkOne!

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#3 2009-06-21 02:56:31

MarkOne
Website

Thank you very much for the comments  Grayle!

I bumped this topic back up to let you know that I have resumed working on this novel. Chapter 2 will be posted in a few days!

#4 2009-06-22 07:43:11

wolfblood17

Very good!!!  The action is pretty much non-stop and the suspense is brilliant.  The two hunters(?) descriptions were well done.  You could be the next Dean Koontz!!! wink

big_smile (with fangs!)

#5 2009-07-09 01:51:14

MarkOne
Website

OK, here's the second chapter of the story:

Chapter Two

It was a simple 3x5 picture. To the common person, it would mean nothing.
But for Jake Powell, seeing this picture nailed to the door of his third floor apartment, was enough to stop him dead in his tracks.
Because this wasn’t just a simple photograph to him.
This was a picture of Jake.
As a werewolf.

Jake knew it was him in the picture, for he remembered wearing the same dark blue T-shirt and blue jeans the last time he had changed over a week ago. What he didn’t know was how someone was able to capture this photo, find out where he lived, and then place it on his front door.
Within seconds, Jake had pulled the picture off the door and looked around frantically. His mind began to race as he wondered who could’ve left the photo on the door. He doubted that anyone in the building was behind the act.  One of the reasons he liked living in this apartment was that just about everyone pretty much kept to themselves. Nobody got into each other’s business and that was how Jake liked it.
But someone knew enough about Jake’s business to post his portrait on the front door. And even though anyone else seeing this photo could care less about some dude in a wolf’s mask running the streets, for Jake it was enough to make him a nervous wreck.

"How long has this been there?" Jake thought to himself as he stared at the image.
When he turned the photo around, he noticed there was a message written on the back.
The message read: "Nice night for a stroll, huh, Jake?!! I know who you are and what you become!! You have a date with destiny!! I'll be in touch, wolfman!!"
As Jake read these words, he could feel his blood beginning to boil.
In the seven-plus years since he became a werewolf, he had done the best he could to keep his condition under wraps. He'd always been careful to not let anyone see him as a werewolf, especially during the nights of the full moon. He went through countless chains and locks. He had locked doors and boarded windows. He even drove himself out of town so he could roam free in the woods and out of harm's way.
But somehow, Jake had let his guard down. Maybe he was too focused on trying to save that woman’s life the other night. Maybe he let his primal instincts cloud his logic. Maybe it was both. Whatever the case, it didn’t matter. Someone was able to capture him in action and then post the evidence at his front door.
Needless to say, Jake was pissed.

"Who wrote this?!” Jake said in a gruff voice as he crumpled up the picture in his left hand. His anger began to stir up something inside him as claws extended from his fingers, punching small holes into the photo. Short strands of brown fur began to bristle along his hands and arms. The back of Jake's grey shirt started to rip as he could feel his 5-11 inch frame growing.
Turning into...
"Mr. Powell! What are you doing?!"
The old woman's shrill voice snapped Jake back into humanity. He immediately turned his back to his door as Mrs. Nash, the landlady, emerged from her apartment several doors down. As she approached him, Jake didn’t say a word as he alertly placed his arms behind him so as to not reveal anything to her.
“I said, what are you doing?” Mrs. Nash said as she walked closer.
"Uh... sorry, Mrs. Nash!" Jake said as his voice returned to his normal tone. He could feel the fur and claws recede back into his skin as he calmed down. "I was just reading some mail, and got some... disturbing news."
Mrs. Nash grumbled as she swayed back and forth to see what Jake was hiding behind his back. Out of everyone in the apartment building, she was the only person who wanted to know about everyone else, especially Jake. Clad in a bright orange floral dress with her grey hair tied up in a bun, the landlady stood barely five feet tall. But, she was so short and stocky, Jake always thought that she went up to his waist.
"Hmm… whatever, Mr. Powell!” she replied. “Just remember that your rent is due next week, OK? No excuses!"
"Right, next week. I won't forget," Jake said.
"And next time your friends come over, tell them to please use the doorbell!" Mrs. Nash said as she waddled from side to side. "All that knocking and banging was enough to wake the dead!"
"Friends?" Jake asked.
"Yes," Mrs. Nash said. "Someone came by your door a couple hours ago. He banged on the door for who knows how long and left. I guess he had something to show you!"
"Oh, you mean this?" Jake said.
His arms and hands were back to normal now, so he was able to unwrap the crumpled photo and showed it to the landlady.
"It was just some costume he wanted to show me. As you can see, it was nothing to talk about."
"Hmm… whatever."
As Mrs. Nash walked back to her apartment, Jake leaned against his door as he waited for her to leave.
"And the next time you need to have something fixed, don't wait until the last minute!" She yelled, her voice shrieking so loudly that it echoed across the hall. "You know it took me all day last week just to find someone to repair your broken window? Do you understand, Mr. Powell?"
"Yes, ma'am," Jake said. "Um... have a good night."
"Hmm!" Mrs. Nash said as she closed her door.
Jake rolled his eyes as he turned around. He quickly went inside his apartment and locked the door.
"That was close!" Jake said as he rested his head and back against the door. "Another minute and I would've changed right in front of her! I've got to control these rages! That's the last thing I need right now!!"
Still clutching the picture in his left hand, Jake again looked at the message on the back.
"I know who you are and what you become!" Jake said as he read those words out loud. As he slid himself down to the floor, he turned the photo back around and he stared at his alter ego for a few moments.
“Why me?” Jake said with a sigh. “And… what is this thing about a date with destiny?!"

About twenty blocks away from the apartment building, two police detectives made their way down a grassy embankment. After walking down several steps, they came to a stop  as they reached their destination. At the bottom of the embankment laid a decapitated woman sprawled along an area of broken concrete, blotches of asphalt and weeds.
“Geez!” Dave Smith said as the seasoned veteran surveyed the grisly crime scene. “Good thing I didn’t eat anything before we got the call.“
Tom Pierce, his young partner, nodded his head in agreement as he took a few steps closer towards the headless corpse. “Looks like they did a real number on her,” Pierce said.
As Pierce knelt over the body, he could see that the damage was extensive. Not only was her head missing, but parts of her arms were gone as well, as if they were ripped from her body. Aside from a sheer black blouse, which was draped halfway along her shoulders, she was naked and covered in blood. Her torso was also ravaged as her ribcage, intestines and stomach were exposed in the night air.
It wasn’t a pretty sight for these homicide detectives to look at. What made it worse was the fact that they had seen this display before.
“Judging by the way she looks, especially with the markings along what’s… left of her body,  this looks like the same M.O. as the others.“ Pierce said as he stood back up.
“This makes, what, eight victims that have been mauled like this?“ Smith said with a heavy sigh.
“Yeah, and three right around this area the past three nights.“
“Great. So we got ourselves another sick a-- serial killer, eh?“
“Either that, or someone’s letting some sort of animal loose along the city,“ Pierce replied as he walked back to his partner.
“Damn!“ Smith said as he shook his head. “I’m too old for cases like this.“
“You’re too old for a lot of things!“ Pierce shot back.
“Shut up!“
As the two detectives left the crime scene so that the forensics unit can resume their work, a pair of glowing yellow eyes surveyed things from overhead.  Kneeling against a large tree at the top of the embankment, the werewolf was able to listen in on every word of the cops’ conversation. Dodging just enough to avoid being spotted, the beast saw Smith and Pierce make their way back up the hill as they got back into their vehicle. Once the dark blue sports coupe had pulled away, the creature emerged from its hiding spot and took off on two legs.
After darting through several alleys and crossing through a school playground, the werewolf slowed to a stop along a black vehicle parked behind a small store not far from the freeway entrance. Once there, the beast leaned against the side door of the car and closed its eyes as it willed the transformation to begin. Even though it would be much simpler to remain a wolf, it knew that it needed to change back to its human form. It needed to remain in the background and to not draw too much attention. Especially with the cops poking around. 
Besides, he had an appointment to keep.

For several hours, Jake Powell sat atop his bed, his left hand still clutching that photo he found nailed to the door.  As he continued to stare at the image, a shot of his lupine self caught in mid-stride, he reflected  back on the events that had led to this now incriminating picture.
At the time, or at least up to the moment that his mind shut down, his only focus was to prevent that woman from becoming another victim of a senseless crime. He never thought that someone would take a picture of him in action. All Jake was just trying to do was be a hero, albeit a reluctant one. Now, he was beginning to regret it.
With the image burned into his head, Jake turned the picture over and read the note again.
"Who could've wrote this?" he said as he went over the message on the back. "Who did I tick off enough to not only know who I am but to blackmail me with the picture?"
Then, a thought came into his mind. An idea on who might've been responsible.
"It couldn't be... them, could it?"
Jake looked again at the message, this time he stared at the handwriting. It looked familiar to him, but he couldn’t quite place it.
"No... it can't be!" he said, shaking his head. "I haven't seen… them since Nashville a few years ago! No… if it was them, they would've had me by now!"
Right now, it didn't matter who left the photo. Jake knew he had only one option: get the hell out of town. It’s not like he hasn’t done this before. He’s been moving from big city to small town for years. He had been living in Detroit for over a year and was starting to like it here. But he couldn't risk the chance of sticking around and getting caught, especially since whoever left the photo knew where he lived.
After rubbing his right hand over his short brown hair, Jake looked at the clock on his dresser, which read 11:47 p.m. He realized that he had done enough thinking for one night and it was time to get some sleep. He needed to get an early start on leaving town anyway. Tomorrow would be the first night of the full moon.

As Jake turned out the light in his apartment, two men stood on the roof of an abandoned building across the street from Jake's place on the third floor. These were the same two guys who have been camped at the same location off and on for the past week. Dressed in the same black attire --jumpsuits and combat boots, with long trench coats and ball caps to complete the look--  the twosome perfectly blended themselves against the darkened skyline.
As the man with the salt-and-pepper goatee and the ponytail took pictures with a sophisticated digital camera with a telephoto lens, his clean-shaven partner watched the light in Jake’s apartment go out through a pair of binoculars.
"Damn it Doc!" the man with the binoculars said. "He turned off the light! He must be going to sleep. Now what?"
"Now Travis," Doc said as he brought down the camera to his chest. "We move on to the next step!"
As Doc removed his cap and wiped the sweat off his head, he knelt down beside a small briefcase that was next to him and placed the camera inside. Once he placed his ball cap back on, Doc then pulled out an envelope with several 3x5 photos of Jake. The photos were all taken during the evening and showed Jake looking at the picture the two men had left on his door earlier.
He pulled one picture from the group and put the others back into the envelope. After putting the remaining photos in the briefcase, Doc pulled out a black marker from the briefcase and began to write on the back of the picture.
Travis, meanwhile, removed his cap as he pulled the binoculars strap over his head. The  young man stood 6-4 and had the build of a football player with thick, muscular arms and legs supporting his physique. He also had dark red hair, cut in a military style buzz. Doc, on the other hand, was a bit shorter, standing at about 5-11 with a more slender build.
"Are you sure that we need him?” Travis asked as he put the cap back on his head.
“What are you talking about?" Doc said, his eyes focused squarely on the note he was writing.
“I mean, are you sure that he’s the one?“ Travis said as he walked over to where Doc was standing. “He has been… away for quite a while, you know?“
“You’re only saying that because you… think you’re more suited for the task!“
“You’re damn right! I’m more ready for this than he’ll ever be!” Travis roared.  “Come on, Doc, you know what he’s about! And how he screwed all of us over back in Nashville!“
“That’s enough, Travis!“ Doc snapped. “I’m quite aware of what he’s about, as you put it! More than you could ever imagine! But you and I both know that he’s the only one… destined for what lies ahead.“
Travis sighed in disgust. “Fine, fine. Jake‘s the one.” he said. “But, are you sure he's ready for what we're about to do?"
"I'm positive," Doc said as he finished writing the note. "You saw what he did last week. Our young wolf just needs a little... push in the right direction."
"Yeah, but..."
"Trust me!! He'll be ready!"
Travis grumbled as he shook his head. ". OK, OK! Whatever you say!"
"So..." Doc said. "Up for a little fun?"
"Always!" Travis replied with a smile.
"Good!" Doc said as he handed the picture over to Travis and looked at his watch. "It's almost midnight. We're going to wait until Jake is sound asleep and then we're going to put the next step into motion."
The young man read the note and smiled again.
"Cool!!" Travis said.

TO BE CONTINUED…

#6 2009-07-15 15:37:36

MarkOne
Website

I'm working on the revised third chapter and should be up sometime next week. In the meantime, if you have any comments or questions on the story so far, please post them here.  Thanks.

#7 2009-07-29 14:35:42

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very interesting development, MarkOne.

I like the intrigue and mystery you've added to the story, along with the dialogue, though the character development is just a little lower than I was expecting. Even so, the visual descriptions of the settings helped greatly. I appreciated the confrontation with the landlady and the crime scene, as well as the internal musings of Jake.

I did notice some conflicts in tense structure that stumbled my reading a little, but what really got to me was the amount of exclamation marks. It's an easy trap in which to fall prey. Exclamation marks should be used very rarely. I understand that many of the statements made were stern or emotionally charged, but describing the feelings or manner of the statement instead of resorting to punctuation may serve your purposes more effectively.

You may also want to be careful with your dialogue. Some of it, especially with the landlady and the stalkers, feels a little shallow and stereotypical. You may want to explore other subjects or ways of saying what they are trying to say, merely for variety or originality if nothing else. Again, just a thought.

With that being said, you've set some very interesting pieces on the board, and have placed them in strategic positions. I look forward to finding out many aspects of the tale as it progresses, including the identity of the werewolf watching the police detectives, the identity of the serial mauler, the past history with Jake and the stalkers, but above all I'm interested in finding out what they have in store for Jake.

Keep it coming, MarkOne!

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#8 2009-10-02 00:50:41

MarkOne
Website

I appreciate the comments Grayle. And the character development is that way for a reason as you'll see in future chapters, so be patient and see what unfolds. wink

The next chapter will be up by the end of the weekend.

#9 2009-10-02 13:45:21

lonewolf13

cool and keep it coming.

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. ...In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth...."
    Alphonse Elric --- Fullmetal Alchemist

#10 2009-10-05 03:13:21

MarkOne
Website

Here's the first part of Chapter Three, the rest of it will come later on this week.

Jake Powell tossed and turned atop his bed as he slept. As his eyelids darted rapidly, it was obvious that he was having the dream again. The same dream that's haunted him for almost seven years. Dreaming of the night that his life changed forever.

The dream played out in his head like one of those old movies, where the images are distorted and sometimes out of focus. In the dream, Jake is sixteen, asleep in his bed when he is awakened by the sounds of someone screaming. When he realized that it is his mother's voice crying out for help, he stumbled out of bed as he alertly left the room.
Once Jake stepped out into the hallway, he can see nothing but carnage all around him. He then spotted his twelve-year-old sister lying at the top of the stairs. He ran over to help her, but he discovered that she wasn’t moving. Seeing her body mauled over like a rag doll, Jake knew that she was dead. As he wiped the tears away from his face, Jake then felt something cold and wet against his right foot. He looked down and saw that he had stepped into a pool of blood.
Jake could see blood all over the floor as the trail led up to his parents' bedroom at the end of the hall. As he made his way towards the room, he could see more blood splattered on the wall. He then noticed several paw prints on the floor. The prints were huge, bigger than any dog he has ever seen. While Jake examined the blood stained prints, he realized something else: the screams he had heard earlier had stopped and there was nothing but an eerie silence.
Jake slowly peered into the open door of his parents' ransacked room. The first thing he saw was his father's body lying on the left side of the doorway, missing both legs as well as the right arm. The sight was enough to make him puke, but Jake bit his lip instead. He nervously stepped further inside and looked over at his parents' bed. That's when he saw it: a large wolf, covered in black fur, tearing and ripping away at his mother's flesh. Her left arm was still clutching the telephone as her blood-stained face was tilted to the side facing the bedroom door. Jake looked into her open eyes and saw nothing but a cold and lifeless stare.
As Jake stood frozen in shock, the wolf soon noticed the boy and promptly knocked him to the floor. All he could do was lie helplessly as his body was pinned by the immense weight of the beast. Through dark yellow eyes, the wolf looked up and down at its prey, almost as if it was studying him. The wolf then sank its fangs deep into Jake’s shoulder, the pain so unbearable that he could do nothing but scream.

“No!“ Jake cried out as he jumped up from his bed. He can hardly breathe as sweat poured from his body.
"It's just a dream, Jake!" he told himself as he tried to catch his breath. "It's just a dream!"
But, as Jake wiped the sweat off his face, he knew better. Ever since that fateful night seven years ago, Jake has had to deal with what the wolf had done to his family.
And what the wolf had done to him.

With his shirt drenched in sweat, Jake took it off and tossed it to the floor as he got up from bed. He then walked over to the kitchen sink several feet away to get a glass of water. As Jake drank from the glass, his hands started to shake uncontrollably. The glass slipped out of his hand and shattered as it fell to the floor.
As his hands continued to tremble, Jake could feel his heart beating at an alarming rate. He then grabbed the edge of the sink counter hard, as a surge of strength flowed through him. At that moment, he could almost feel himself beginning to change. His body ached as bristles of fur formed along his arms and chest. Bowing his head down to his chest, Jake closed his eyes as he started taking several deep breaths to calm himself down. He knew that if he doesn't do this now, he's just seconds away from unleashing the beast within.

One of the things Jake learned since becoming a werewolf was that things don't always happen like in the movies. The transformations do occur during the nights of the full moon. But sometimes, extreme cases of stress can also trigger a change any night at anytime, regardless of the moon cycle. Jake was told that it has something to do with the adrenal glands in his body.
Through trial and error, Jake realized that if he could keep his emotions in check, he can prevent any unexpected changes into the wolf. However, with all that has happened today, coupled with the bad dream he had, Jake knew that keeping himself in control wasn’t going to be easy.

After several tense moments, Jake's heart rate started to return to his regular pace and his hands stopped shaking. With his body returning to normal, he soon released his hold on the sink counter and was finally able to relax. He still felt a bit wired after the nightmare, but at least he's a lot better than he was a few minutes ago.
Jake breathed a huge sigh of relief as he walked back to his bed. He knew that he was able to win the mental tug-of-war with his alter ego this time. However, he also knew  that there will be times, as was the case last week, that the wolf will win out. As Jake glanced over at the crumpled photo atop his dresser, losing that battle had already left an impact.

"I can’t think about that now," Jake said out loud as he laid back down atop his bed. "I just gotta get some sleep! Tomorrow, I'll be outta here and I won't have to worry about that stupid picture or whoever it was that took it!"
But just as Jake was about to close his eyes, he heard a knock on the door.
"Who the hell would be knocking at this hour?" Jake thought to himself. Then, he had another thought, one that he didn’t like: what if it was a return visit from the person that left the photo on his door?

Jake got out of bed and made his way to the door. As he was about to reach the doorknob, a photo slid out from underneath the door and landed by his feet.
Jake knelt down and picked up the photo, and he was stunned at what he saw. It was another picture of him, but this time it was a shot of him from earlier tonight. It  had him sitting in his room looking at the photo he had found nailed to the apartment door.
"What the hell?" Jake muttered aloud as he stood back up.
As his body tensed, he started to look around the room to see how they could've taken this latest picture. He then turned the photo over, and discovered yet another message written on the back.
"Want to know who took the picture, Jake?" the note read. "That will all come in due time. Your date with destiny is close at hand. Are you prepared for what's to come? I'll be in touch, a lot sooner than you think..."
"What's that supposed to mean?" Jake says.

As soon as he said that last word, the front door exploded as a figure crashed through. Jake was thrown to the floor, landing hard on his back and head. He was momentarily stunned as he was hit by pieces of wood and scattered debris.
When Jake came to, he saw another werewolf standing on top of him…

#11 2009-10-05 12:08:28

lonewolf13

awsome man keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. ...In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth...."
    Alphonse Elric --- Fullmetal Alchemist

#12 2009-10-12 21:17:08

punxnotdead

I CANNOT believe you started posting it again. I have been waiting YEARS!!
YEARS!!!!!

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#13 2009-10-12 22:27:07

fangsofsorrow
lonesome protector

hey this is great keep it up, add something else to make his life hell, like oh idont know... a girl!

im bi.... can you blame me?

Board footer