The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-20 21:22:02

Shirukiba
Website

Here I was thinking I was slightly crazy

(Before I post anything I am, I would like to mention I am very new to forums, so chances are I am likely to do something against the rules <--me being paranoid like usual)

Until now I have been obssessed with photograph and study of insects, birds and other aspects of nature. I have liked wolves all of my life just as much as any other animal. This year (after 13 years) I now have eventually gained a complete obsession with wolves. The first thing I got into was drawing wolves; I looked up several tutorials and can now show off decent artwork. For a few months nothing else really happened, until I found Okami. I ended up playing that game at least 5 times, I then got more intrested in wolves. I started working on a story for English language arts in school, the story was wolf-based and teacher gave me 250% for it saying it was good enough to be published (<-that surprised me...) soon  I started considering the main character of that story (a white and silver wolf named Tallin) as myself. After then I began coming up with my future. I wanted to live with a wolf pack, eat, sleep and communicate with the wolves, however as I considered all the factors (scent, the fact they are wild animals etc.) I considered it to be fantasy. Recently, after looking up guides on how to howl and growl like a real wolf, I found Shaun Ellis. He has done what I thought was impossible and it has put me to the peak of my obsesstion, and as I am today. In school I have perhaps 2 friends, none of them like wolves the way I do. I do not think myself as a sociable person, and I really like to get out into the wasteland outside our house (future home development) just to get away from society. When I walk up the stairs to my room I end up walking on all fours near the top. I have an urge to howl at the moon (plus I was born just a few hours from the January full moon known as the wolf moon.)

This therian thing is all new to me, I didn't even know there was a name for it, I thought I was the only person like this. Then I found this website I am posting on now.  I don't know if posting this has any use (<-me being paranoid AGAIN) but I am curious to learn more of this. I am also hoping to learn tips and such on growling, howling etc. like a wolf, as I cannot find any tutorials to help (perhaps this should be a new topic).

I don't think I have ever typed so much on a forum before.
EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I have a habit of picking up small movement and far-away objects. I seem to be able to hear better than most people around me (if this has anything to do with it)

Last edited by Shirukiba (2009-10-20 21:53:34)

Riding under the blessing of a full moon, the life of a wolf is the life I wish to live.

#2 2009-10-20 21:34:47

bdk336
Website

Re: Here I was thinking I was slightly crazy

First I'd like to say that an obsession with wolves isn't necessarily Therianism (I'll let one of the Therians on the site explain in detail, I'm tired right now). However that isn't to say there aren't plenty of people like that here, including the Therians. Also the things about walking on all fours up stairs and nearly anything related to the moon is not something strictly pertaining to wolves. As a matter of fact most sets of stairs have an incline which humans will naturally traverse on all fours. Basically you aren't necessarily a Therian but you definitely aren't the only person like yourself here.

#3 2009-10-21 00:26:58

WolfVanZandt
Website

and I don't expect you're going to find any tutorials about growling, howling, and such (I wonder if wolves use tutorials). Some Therians don't do that. I do but I didn't have to learn how.

#4 2009-10-21 03:12:30

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

First of all, you should take a look at some of the stuff that other people have posted, as some of this has already been covered extensively.  That being said:
Alot of people like wolves, that's what this site and the furry fandom is for, it doesn't mean there's anything more there.  The story thing sounds like it could be your imagination.  Physical aspects, such as improved senses or animalistic behaviors are not a clear sign of it, it is internally rooted.  Being anti-social is not a therian trait, it just means you are anti-social. (which could be something that you might want to try to improve, or not, some people like to be anti-social, and there is no authority but yourself.)

In all honesty, you're probably not a therian.

WolfVanZandt wrote:

and I don't expect you're going to find any tutorials about growling, howling, and such (I wonder if wolves use tutorials). Some Therians don't do that. I do but I didn't have to learn how.

ha ha ha...

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#5 2009-10-21 09:51:10

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

I'm going to have to add to that guys. You really need to do some soul searching here. I don't believe your necessarily a therian. Me personally, being a therian, I have almost always had a very strong connection with wolves and never felt that i fit in amongst humans. Not to mention i had a lot of trouble in grade school because of my wolven idiosyncrasies. Later on in my life I had struggles wandering if I was human or something more cause i have never felt human. Then about 13 i had a partial awaking I somehow got involved in some study on wolves and realized, this is the non human part of me, it wasn't a question i knew i realized the part of me i have been trying to fight off. Threw meditation rituals, spending long amounts of time in the woods there was no doubt. I am a wolf, it wasn't till much later on, actually just a few months ago. i was introduced to the term therian by a Wicca high priestess that discovered what i truly am.  So please other share your story's to this guy

They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."

#6 2009-10-21 18:26:35

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

shadowwolfx wrote:

I'm going to have to add to that guys. You really need to do some soul searching here. I don't believe your necessarily a therian. Me personally, being a therian, I have almost always had a very strong connection with wolves and never felt that i fit in amongst humans. Not to mention i had a lot of trouble in grade school because of my wolven idiosyncrasies. Later on in my life I had struggles wandering if I was human or something more cause i have never felt human. Then about 13 i had a partial awaking I somehow got involved in some study on wolves and realized, this is the non human part of me, it wasn't a question i knew i realized the part of me i have been trying to fight off. Threw meditation rituals, spending long amounts of time in the woods there was no doubt. I am a wolf, it wasn't till much later on, actually just a few months ago. i was introduced to the term therian by a Wicca high priestess that discovered what i truly am.  So please other share your story's to this guy

For me personally, it wasn't anything like that shadowwolfx says above. I do fit in with humans, I mean...biologically I am one. smile I get along fine and well with majority of people. There weren't any meditation rituals or "soul searching" much. It was just a feeling of things 'coming together' when I looked into the term therian; things just felt right. It was (to sound poetic) a missing piece to a puzzle, and it made things clear, it just felt right. The only thing I had to contend with (which I guess COULD be described as soul searching at a push) was breaking down the ridiculously 'logical' thoughts I had on it. My brain wouldn't accept the idea, yet I knew it was how I felt and how I am. Acceptance of it myself was a key thing for me, and I've done that. In doing so, I'm a lot better off. smile
Well thats my lil' bit of story. smile

I think I threw my part in here, simply because I'd like to point out that its not always a "soul-searching" or meditative thing you have to do. I found it just 'felt right' and it clicked with me.

But, Shirukiba, although I'm not dismissing the fact you could well be a therian, a lot of things you've said aren't really very related to Therianthropy; drawing wolves could just mean you like them, or are particularly good at drawing them. Okami is just an awesome game (smile), having a wolf in it makes it pretty neat, but it isn't therian related I'd say. As bdk said too about walking up the stairs, a lot of people do that. I go up stairs on all fours (unless I'm someone else house, then I'll avoid it) simply because I find it quicker. big_smile
From the things you have said, it doesn't point towards you being a therian, but then again, as I've learnt, there aren't any simple "symptoms" to tell if a person is a therian; at the end of the day its down to the person to know themselves. There isn't anything brilliant about being a therian; its made me a lot more comfortable with myself, and give me some more confidence, probably due to me just feeling aware of myself (if that makes sense)...but thats all. There's nothing special about it. smile

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#7 2009-10-21 20:04:38

Shirukiba
Website

This is a fairly new subject to me and after reading many Therianthropy sources I feel that I fit in with it exactly. There is a lot I can not really explain with words. I, myself, consider myself to be Therian however I do not neccasarily care if I am or not. There was one source that said "Only you know if you are a Therian, and others can only guess." Which is what you mentioned earlier. Here are other things that I notice, no idea if they are related to anything or not.

*I do have several wolf-related dreams were I am hunting or doing other wolfy things.
*I am unsure on this but I have this timed lap thing in P.E. where you have to run a lap around the field. This time I in a way asked for a "blessing" of my wolf (I do not completely remember what I did)Instead of clearing it in 6 minutes I got 4:19, plus I was not out of breath. This probably has nothing to do with anything.
*I feel a VERY strong tie to wolves, far more than anything else. I am pretty sure I am past obsessed when it comes to the subject.
*The main reason I wanted to learn all this growling etc. is because I wish to live with wolves in the future. (There have been times when I have wanted to growl at the computer when the internet breaks)
*Humans. I just want to get away from them sometimes.

Time will tell I am sure, as it seems to only have come up in the past year. I will try that ritual/meditating thing later to see if I get any results. (I did try it when I went to sleep yesterday, but after a few minutes I was interrupted by my brother. For a short period of time it felt like my head was shaking.)

Last edited by Shirukiba (2009-10-21 20:08:32)

Riding under the blessing of a full moon, the life of a wolf is the life I wish to live.

#8 2009-10-21 21:23:09

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Shirukiba wrote:

*I do have several wolf-related dreams were I am hunting or doing other wolfy things.

Lots of people do, especially if they watch alot of werewolf stuff.

*I am unsure on this but I have this timed lap thing in P.E. where you have to run a lap around the field. This time I in a way asked for a "blessing" of my wolf (I do not completely remember what I did)Instead of clearing it in 6 minutes I got 4:19, plus I was not out of breath. This probably has nothing to do with anything.

Sometimes people do things like that, doesn't mean any magic is going on, and if it does, it's statistically unlikely that it's therian-related.

*I feel a VERY strong tie to wolves, far more than anything else. I am pretty sure I am past obsessed when it comes to the subject.

That's called having an unhealthy-obsession. :|

*The main reason I wanted to learn all this growling etc. is because I wish to live with wolves in the future. (There have been times when I have wanted to growl at the computer when the internet breaks)

You want to do what now?  And lots of people growl at the computer...

*Humans. I just want to get away from them sometimes.

That's called being anti-social. :|

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#9 2009-10-21 22:16:31

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

its different for everyone. for me, ive been growling, yipping, well- basically just being a wolf, all my life.

"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not."
                                                                                          -Andre Gide

#10 2009-10-21 23:29:59

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

ashenwolf is truly a pure example read threw her forums and posts youll see it

They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."

#11 2009-10-21 23:41:06

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

thank you, shadow. as are you. smile

-Andre Gide

#12 2009-10-22 00:07:24

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

hurry up and turn 18

#13 2009-10-22 12:36:51

bdk336
Website

everyone wants to get away from people at least some of the time. Truth is most just don't indulge that urge as much as they should, then again some do so a little too much.

#14 2009-10-22 13:20:11

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

@bdk: lol yep
@shadow: XD lol

-Andre Gide

#15 2009-10-22 13:49:37

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Why are people still using arbitrary things like growling and running upstairs on all fours as a sign of therianthropy?!

No offence kids, but truly, some of you are really not old or mature enough to understand.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#16 2009-10-22 14:42:49

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

true, shadyhowl. as for me, there were alot of other factors, i just named some obvious ones for the person asking the question tongue

-Andre Gide

#17 2009-10-23 14:58:56

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

Why are people still using arbitrary things like growling and running upstairs on all fours as a sign of therianthropy?!

Because I'm the only person who doesn't encourage that, everyone else seems to go along with it, even though it's the kind of answer you have when grasping at straws...

No offence kids, but truly, some of you are really not old or mature enough to understand.

I'm tempted to say this, but measuring maturity is so arbitrary... Age turns out to really not be a factor, as I've met 12 year olds that are more mature than 40 year olds.  I know therians who decided they were therians when they were 12 and are still around after years, and I know people who decided they were at 18 and changed their minds a year later.
I guess it's kind of like how WVZ puts it: "If you are a therian, you just know what you are.".  While that's the most true way of saying it, it's so hard to quantify and tell people that things like making animal noises doesn't make them one... Maybe I should just go with it and let them learn from their mistakes?  I don't know...  Most of the time I can't even understand it myself....
There I go rambling again.......

#18 2009-10-24 05:33:42

AwakenWolf

Hmm.. Well Shiru.
Do you actually feel wolf?
I mean do you.. just like wolves and have a unhealthy obsession with them or do you know what you are inside?

I basically asked what you did when I found out bout therians. (yes I know, forgive me)
I practically had the same "symptoms" BUT, I knew inside that I was a Wolf.
I only needed other peoples opinions to help me break through the doubt I had about myself.

Think bout it. smile
*Edit-  Oh and you tried to learn how to growl/howl/(*insert noise here*)? Why? It should come naturally.

Last edited by AwakenWolf (2009-10-24 05:36:56)

Irony isn't ironic ironically. Its ironic. Isn't it?
I just don't have the patience to deal with you anymore. GTFO. NOW!!

#19 2009-10-24 13:00:03

Shirukiba
Website

The replies are...intresting. I am not trying to be a therian, just to find my true self. It seems that I used the wrong words. I have not really felt animal or had any shifts (that I am aware of). For now I will put a line through Therianthropy and find out the truth. As an unhealthy obsession I don't like to say this (it just feels completely negative to me), I just like them more than anything else, even more when I hear what man does to them. Slight off-topic, I feel slightly ashamed to be named a "human" from what the majority of the world has done to the Earth. They just seem to be a plague to the world, I don't like to call myself human, but something else. I do not see much value to possessions and I would happily live in a secluded forest with nothing.

Again, I will forget "Therian" and all these terms and seek out my real identity.

#20 2009-10-24 13:06:45

drkgryfur
crazy wolf
Website

i can agree with part of that..i'm embarised to be "human"...in my eyes humanity is nothing more than a virus

Last edited by drkgryfur (2009-10-24 13:07:01)

1nor·mal \ˈnȯr-məl\
adjective
1 : strictly a matter of one's opinion
— nor·mal·i·ty — nor·mal·ly

#21 2009-10-24 13:37:20

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Shirukiba: Thanks for being honest. There's absolutely nothing wrong, or inferior, about just really, really, really liking wolves. The only time something is an 'unhealthy' obsession is if it's interfering too much with your life, and your liking for wolves doesn't sound 'unhealthy'.

Sherlawk: Yes, I take your point about the age thing. And I know correlation does not imply cause, but I've noticed it's the younger ones in therianthropy who seem to get the most confused over whether they are or not. It's my own personal view, too, that therians generally don't need to ask others for opinions about whether they are a therian or not. I only found out a year ago myself, but it was by a process of reading about it and going 'jesus - that's me, that explains everything!' not by going 'hmm, I think I'll ask a group of total strangers if they think that I'm a therian...'

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#22 2009-10-25 07:33:47

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

ShadyHowl wrote:

it was by a process of reading about it and going 'jesus - that's me, that explains everything!'

Hahahah, that brilliantly sums it up for me too. I think I did fall into the trap; although I knew how I felt, I still ended up not asking "Am I A Therian?" but I tried to seek some confirmation of how I felt...from people on the internet, which is rather silly now I look back on it. smile
I can understand what you mean by age, I've noticed that it is usually younger people, usually within teen years that do get mixed up with things a bit more, and do end up askin complete strangers over the internet about something that only they can really know. Sometimes the person may be a therian, sometimes they may not. I have a few little theories on why people can mistakenly jump to the fact they are a therian, but I'm babbling on, and it isnt needed here. smile

I'm gonna end up quoting that line at some point Shady. big_smile

One thing I haven't ever understood is the "dislike/hatred for humans" as a species. I mean, sometimes I do have quite bitter moments; someone may of peeved me off and so I secretly hope they throw themself under a bus (Ok, maybe a lil extreme) but I don't 'hate' people, nor humans. I mean, as shocking as it sounds, I am one. I get on with people quite well, I'm part of the human society I live in. Why hate it? smile

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#23 2009-10-25 09:40:34

drkgryfur
crazy wolf
Website

not so much hatered...just embarisment

1nor·mal \ˈnȯr-məl\
adjective
1 : strictly a matter of one's opinion
— nor·mal·i·ty — nor·mal·ly

#24 2009-10-25 20:20:15

Shirukiba
Website

I am reading what I orginally posted (and the post after) and going *facepalm*. What I put there is not even close to what I intended, it makes me look like a therian wannabe I suppose (Which I am not). I really should read over what I type before posting....I tend to avoid forums mainly because of my lack of getting my point across and giving myself a bad impression to others.

EDIT: I managed to get an answer for them, so don't worry about answering them. It is always better to find the answer yourself.

Last edited by Shirukiba (2009-10-26 19:44:14)

Board footer