The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-22 18:40:34

Black Shuck
Website

Manuel Blanco Romasanta: Wolfman of Allariz

I just found out about a figure in werewolf lore named Manuel Blanco Romasanta. I've mentioned him in my personal forum and in the Movies and TV Shows forum, under "Werewolf Hunter (based on the true story of Romasanta)". The run-down of his story is this:  In 1851, a traveling soap-vendor named Manuel Blanco Romasanta was captured and tried for the murders of 15 people. Romasanta said he was not guilty of these murders because he was a werewolf.

These are some links I found. They are translated from Spanish, so some of it's a little weird, but it's translated well enough that you'll be able to get the gist.

Near the bottom of this page (it's on the history of Galacia, the area of northen Spain where the story of Romasanta takes place): http://66.218.71.231/language/translati … -tab-web-t

This one has weird characters that didn't translate correctly, but whatever: http://66.218.71.231/language/translati … -tab-web-t

This seems like an interesting site, but I haven't really explored it yet: http://66.218.71.231/language/translati … spanol.php

Enjoy! big_smile

"Would you love a monsterman?
Could you understand beauty of the beast?
I would do it all for you, would you do it all,
Do it all for me?" -Lordi

#2 2006-01-23 01:18:49

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Manuel Blanco Romasanta: Wolfman of Allariz

Thank you for the post Black Shuck, please keep us posted on this famous werewolf legend.

#3 2007-11-18 16:49:48

metalbeast

I Had Never Heard Of This Legend Until I Saw The Movie WEREWOLF HUNTER : The Legend Of Romasanta , And Now I'm Fascinated By It , The Movie Was Great And It Stars Julian Sands (The Guy From The Movie WARLOCK) , I Highly Recommend It To People Fascinated By The Legend

#4 2007-12-13 14:03:13

Kirada
Website

I too saw the movie, in English, as Werewolf Hunter: Romasanta.

The title was kind of misleading: I thought originally that this "Romasanta" was the Werewolf Hunter, not the Werewolf.
But, I'm fascinated by the history of myself. People said the movie was a knock-off, a flop -- I thought it was rather interesting.

So -- I am writing and English paper next semester (in January) on Manuel Blanco Romasanta, seeing as few people know about him and I'd like to enlighten those who would like to listen. And learn.

However, I have plenty of Internet resources (a couple, thanks to the author of this post). I only need two, and I'm going to sift through them tonight and choose out the best ones.

However, I need two more. Possibly a news article, legal document(s), or even a book. I'm going to e-mail Allariz (where Romasanta is said to be tried) and see what they can tell me. But if anyone here knows of any books that so much as mention him, I'd be grateful if you could tell me.

I would - honestly - prefer them to send me the excerpt of his mention, the page number, the author(s) of the book (or excerpt), the book title(s), and the most recent copyright date (so I can properly cite the source). So -- I really hope that you will all help me out.

As for the movie: I thought it was rather well-done and Julian Sands (who played Romasanta) did a wonderful job.

"I said before that my life is yours, and now, my death is yours. And Death lasts forever..." Julian Sands as Romasanta.

#5 2008-01-03 21:31:08

theroadwolf
4star general
Website

im going to watch it this weekend

#6 2008-05-14 23:24:23

Amarok

I'm here too late for your paper, but I couldn't have helped anyway.  It seems the British magazine Fortean Times carried an issue with an article on the Spanish Werewolf -- and out of 200 issues of FT, that is the one issue I missed!  Cruel, cruel Fate!

Hope you got it done anyway!

"No, no, go not to Lethe, neither twist Wolf's-bane, tight-rooted. for its poisonous wine." -- Keats, "Ode to Melancholy"

#7 2009-10-26 18:39:33

The Busboy
Administrator

From a topic that was deleted (since this one already existed):
The first registered case on lycanthrophy in Galicia, Spain. Manuel Blanco Romasanta was sentenced to death at the Celanova Prison in Orense for the gnawing and killing of villagers throughout the region of Orense.

Board footer