The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-12 01:51:37

Rainbow BeerWolf

What do YOU like in a werewolf story? - For readers/aspiring writers

(I hope this isn't in the wrong spot. I figured it should be with the writing stuff)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

I enjoy writing quite a bit. I also work in a bookshop and tend to ask people what they enjoyed about books.

My question is, what do YOU enjoy about werewolf stories? These sorts of things are helpful for aspiring authors in the werewolf genre, or paranormal romance/horror/supernatural genres. This isn't so we can all go home and write what everyone else wants. This is a matter of interest. What do YOU tend to write about?

Some thoughts:

- What do you like most in a werewolf design? Full moons, should the wolf be a full wolf, have two or three forms, fur, tail, etc
- What sort of powers should they have in human form? Immortality? Speed? Normal human?
- Should the wolf be a blood thirsty monster or have control?
- What do you like most in a storyline; for example, Kelly Armstrong's werewolf is the last female werewolf, or the only one (been a while since I read it). Or, person gets bitten, has to adapt. Or, werewolves battle it out, territorial disputes, etc...what makes you grab the story and read it?
- Do you like the werewolf to be the protagonist(s) or the antagonist(s), good or evil, more horror related, or more 'romanticised'?
- Is the werewolf the main part of the conflict (i.e. hunted because they are a werewolf, trying to fit into a decent relationship with the werewolf thing barring the way, werewolf wars, whatever) - werewolfcentric or is the conflict completely different, where the character(s) just happen(s) to be a werewolf? Where the conflict isn't specifically anything to do with the character's species, but the species does help character development and of course adds to the storyline. Or there is literally no point, is there?

And others you can think of. My brain is switched off from work and research, if it makes no sense, do tell me.

Please note that replies to this shouldn't be considered a guide for writing a werewolf story. It's not easy to please everyone. You should write to please yourself...unless you're stuck on a contract and have to push a million books out to please your fans. Which is unfortunate. Though if you want to market the story, I suppose you need to appeal to the fans some more, to see what they like. I'm mostly just interested to know what people are interested in, it's a great subject if you ask me! Feel free to give examples of books here as well.

Last edited by Rainbow BeerWolf (2009-11-12 20:31:30)

"I never realised the Deptartment of Agriculture was interested in National Security. Do you have like, undercover cows?" - John Corey (Nelson Demille)

#2 2009-11-12 06:49:28

Midnight-Vixen

Re: What do YOU like in a werewolf story? - For readers/aspiring writers

Usually, from a writer's standpoint, the story just sort of happens, or at least, that's how it happens with me. I don't really think that any writer sits down the first time and thinks, "Hmmmm... Will the public like this story? Is this the one I should write?" I honestly believe that when you're writing something, it just happens, which is the most beautiful thing about it.

That doesn't really answer your question, though, does it?

By the time you have finished reading this, you will realize that you have just wasted five seconds of your life. ^_^

#3 2009-11-12 20:29:53

Rainbow BeerWolf

No, it doesn't smile but that's a good note to add. As I noted in my post, though, the point of this isn't for me or anyone else to write a story based on what everyone here wants. It's a matter of curious interest.

So what kind of stories DO you enjoy?

"I never realised the Deptartment of Agriculture was interested in National Security. Do you have like, undercover cows?" - John Corey (Nelson Demille)

#4 2009-11-13 01:33:03

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

i like it either very contrasting where it shows human fear but a pack's reasoning, like in Wolfen. or i like when its through a werewolf's point of veiw

"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not."
                                                                                          -Andre Gide

#5 2009-11-13 02:02:17

lupusindefined
Dark Shadow

yeah the werewolfs point of view sounds good

Lupus

silver bullets dont work... not on me anyway =P ...the other guy however.... *looks at dead body lying on the ground*

#6 2009-11-14 19:32:10

Rainbow BeerWolf

Yeah that's always interesting. I like the ol' classic 'got bitten and turning' but with other plots to it. I also like fantasy stories where the werewolf is a central protagonist, but the story isn't about his or her werewolfism. I don't like a heap of romance. I like a bit, but I like realistic characters, not fake ones you find in paranormal romance. It's nice to perve on the guys on the front cover, but the stories quickly get horribly old.

Board footer