The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-14 22:16:29

werebug
Website

Collecting data on werewolves

Hello I am an anthropology student collecting information on werewolves. I will be using the information that you give me in an essay for my college class, but everything will be anonymous. I would like to know the origins of the werewolf from different parts of the world (such as North America, South America, Europe ect.), the differences and similarities of a folklore werewolf and a fiction werewolf, how to become a werewolf, well as how the werewolf has changed throughout the centuries, and any other information you know and would like to share. Thank you for giving me your time and allowing me to use your knowledge.

i am a great player of golf. the champion if you will.

#2 2009-11-15 11:14:03

Midnight-Vixen

Re: Collecting data on werewolves

I can't give you much on werewolves, but I can give you a bit of information on vampires. wink

By the time you have finished reading this, you will realize that you have just wasted five seconds of your life. ^_^

#3 2009-11-15 11:46:37

Exanimis
Just an Old Dog

Have you ever read Mary Shelly's Frankenstein? The creature was stitched together from bodies and placed in a liquid that brought it back to life. All of that waiting for the lightening and the Tesla coils stuff is Hollywood's version of the process. More than likely, what you will find on this forum will be more of the Hollywood version of werewolves.

Shape shifters and werewolves can be found throughout history in all types of cultures and the ways to become one are just as varied. From cave paintings to Anubis, from  Lon Chaney, Jr to Benicio Del Toro, werewolves and wolfmen have evolved from stories of old into a new creature.

Personally, I believe that we have always been here. Our genes passed on and mixed with humans for generations. The Navajo have a story that tells something about us.

A man tells his grandson

"Inside of every man are two wolves, one good and one evil. The two wolves are in constant battle. They fight for dominance."

"Which of the wolves wins Grandfather?" the boy asks

"The one that you feed the most." The man replies.

There is sorrow enough in the natural way From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store, Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
from"The Power of the Dog" by Rudyard Kipling

#4 2009-11-16 01:09:56

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

An Anthropology student eh? I'm studying subject at my University as well. If I might ask what class your doing the research for? Also for sources I have come across this website that has some legends from around the world on Werewolves. The name of the site is deceiving as not being very credible, however upon examination of this Section it seems quite valid. http://www.beyondweird.com/magick/neu/index.htm  You'll have to do some digging but I do remember coming across a few werewolf myths and legends within the Germanic states. Also a good text book on Medical Anthropology will in most cases have a discussion of Clinical Lycanthropy and how it has affected culture. I hope that helps, good luck with the project. Oh and BTW Welcome to the Cafe!

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#5 2009-11-16 01:16:42

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

If I might also toss into there, Of Wolves and Men by Barry Lopez. There's a really good section dealing with myths and legends concerning wolves and werewolves towards the end.

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#6 2009-11-16 01:20:11

werebug
Website

Vindicator thank you very much for website, and I'm currently taking an Anthropology Folklore class. White Wolf thank you for the book I will defiantly check it out.

i am a great player of golf. the champion if you will.

#7 2009-11-16 01:52:19

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Hey your welcome! Ah, that is an exciting class, I'm hoping to take the equivalent next fall. Good Luck with your paper. big_smile

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

Board footer