The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-11-19 12:32:18

Exanimis
Just an Old Dog

Re: Therianthropy - What is it?

WVZ, I am so glad to see that you posted again and did not take offense to my post, I was worried that you would. I actually know very little about werewolves even though I have always liked the movies. As I have said, I know nothing about therians.

It seems to me that having a central point on the internet for therians to gather would accomplish exactly what you are trying to do. Having one site, promoted by and for the use of only therians would have a better chance of getting those therians together in real life.

About the statement that I was worried would offend you.
From what little I have learned so far. A therian is a person that feels that they somehow share their body with the "spirit" of an animal. This may not be the best description, but I am trying. The idea of therianism that makes the most sense to me is that this person has no division between the two spirits. I am not saying that I am a therian but I have always felt that I am a dog. There is no distinguishing between my personality and my dog personality, I simply am the one person who is both.

A lot of therians on here say that they have always liked a certain animal and found that animal fascinating. Now that they have excepted the idea that they are a therian, the animal is somehow connected to them. They shift "In spirit or mind" into that animal. The animal is often a wolf or tiger and seem to always be some powerful majestic beast, There are no werechickens.

Someone ne comes on this forum and makes a statment that does not agree with another therians idea of what a therian is and that person is dismissed as being a nut or liar. This is an extream case but I'm sure you see what I am getting at.

If someone likes and admires wolves or tigers, if they decide that they are therian, without a proper definition, how can they ever except therianthropy?I've read that "If you ask twelve therians what a therian is. You will get thirteen answers.

I no one knows a clear and precise definition of what a therian is, How can someone who claims to be therian ever deny another's claims?

I joined the werelist and there is much more to the site than was available as a guest. I have introduced myself on the newbie forum but do not plan to post until I have thoroughly read through the forum but thanks for the information

There is sorrow enough in the natural way From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store, Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
from"The Power of the Dog" by Rudyard Kipling

#27 2009-11-20 01:46:52

WolfVanZandt
Website

Actually, my goal has always been to get Therians off the Internet into the offline community. As it stands, only about a tenth of the community even uses the Internet for social purposes within the community.

The reason there's so many opinions as to what causes therianthropy is that we don't know what causes it and a lot of people just have to have an opinion whether it has any basis or not. For most of the Therians I really know (offline, in other words - you never really know anyone on the Internet), it's not an issue. For what I accept about therianthropy, I get offline. You never know online whether a person is a Therian or not. Offline, you can make a much better determination.

I've never met a Werechicken but I have met a Wereearwig. I've met Weres with prey species theriotypes. I've met Wererabbits.

A person that makes a statement that doesn't agree with other Therians isn't necessarily thought of by other Therians as a nut but Therians (the ones offline - and since I organize events for Therians, my exposure is pretty wide) tend to be rather conservative in their view of the world and if a person is making nutty sounding claims, then we naturally figure they're a nut. Traditionally, Therians tend to be anti-New Age.

Actually New Ageism is not natural. New Agers build describe the world in terms of what they want it to be. They take bits and pieces of different philosophies and put them together into a conglomeration that feels nice to them. Nature and reality are obviously not convenient constructs. Therians tend to be part of nature - not inhabitants of their own mind. So a Werewolf may go through a flaky phase for a period of time but they usually grow out of it pretty quick. A diet of granola grows old fast.

Do you figure it requires a proper definition to accept that you're human. Shoot, philosophers have been arguing that for well over a thousand years. We're not Weres because we think we are; we're Weres because we are. I've run into several Weres that didn't know that they were Weres simply be\cause they didn't know that such a thing existed, but when they found out about it, it explained their life so well that it didn't take an act of congress for them to accept it. The Weres I know don't angst about whether Weres exist of not. It's quite obvious to a Were that Weres, in fact, do exist.

#28 2009-11-20 03:54:20

Exanimis
Just an Old Dog

I suppose that that is the reason that I am so interested in therians. What I've read seems to explain a lot about myself and how I have felt throughout my life. As I have said before, I am a human but I am also a dog, I have always felt this way. To say to someone that I am both human and dog sounds strange since I have never discussed it with anyone online or in real life. I have always loved science and I am the type of person who need proof, I am a skeptic but at the same time I believe in God and psychic abilities. These things don't always fit into a category and my belief system is purely by choice. I was not raised in a christian home and God was not a topic of discussion within my family. I read many books about religions from Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Christianity. I visited Mosques, Temples and churches of all types before I began to believe. Today my belief in God is a personal belief between me and my God and I try to avoid religious discussions. I only post this because I feel a need to explain how I am.

I am a skeptic and I can not simply except that I am a therian based on the scattered information that I have found so far. I like the idea that there is an explanation for me to feel the way I do but it may be a while before I can say "I am a Therianthrope" with any conviction.

I am depending on people like yourself to help me along the way as I start my journey with a few small steps.

#29 2009-11-21 01:49:55

WolfVanZandt
Website

Well, that's not something I can do. The peculiar (or maybe not so peculiar) character of therianthropy means that you have to find your own way. You can't afford to be dependent. I'll be glad to provide information and you're in one of the most Howl intensive parts of the country so it shouldn't be difficult for you to meet Therians. Other than that, you should be able to straighten out your identity problem without a lot of fuss. Don't make it hard and it won't be hard.

#30 2009-11-22 22:31:28

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Dude, chill, no one's going to take offense at this point: everyone knows me and VanZandt will blast them if they do...
Anyway, the advice that might be best for you is that if you are a therian, you will know it.  It's not that hard to say something like "am I an animal inside?" and get a straight answer.  I kind of TL;DRed alot of that (I've been away and don't feel like catching up), but from what I understand, it sounds like you may well be a Dog therian, but keep looking, 'cause I wouldn't know.  Also, speaking of religions, are you familiar with Deism?

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#31 2009-11-23 02:10:16

Exanimis
Just an Old Dog

@ WolfVanZandt

I don't expect anyone to come up and analyze my life and tell me that I am or am not a therian, I simply rely on the information that people can offer. If not for you posting about therians, I may not have ever heard of them. I am dependent on people only in that, I need information.

@ SherlawkDragon

I am pretty chill but I am also analytical. I don't jump into anything without a reasonable understanding of the subject. I am both a man and a dog, I always have been, therianthropy seems to explain that. In order for me to except or deny therianthropy, I need to understand it.

I have heard of Deism and I do in some ways agree with that particular belief system but I also believe in other "things"or "people", I chose to believe because it made the most sense to me.

Thanks to both of you for the information, it is helpful. I believe that the werelist is the place I need to be and I am spending more time there. While this is a good place to chat or play around, the werelist is a much better place to learn.

#32 2009-11-23 20:28:20

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Exanimis> Yeah, like I said before, this isn't the best site for this.  You might also want to look into Weresource.org, I think it's better.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

Board footer