The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-15 17:13:20

WolfWriterJK

WolfWriterJK's Werewolf Novel - Help me brainstorm!

Hi!  This is a double post from my personal thread, just so I can kinda spread out and find as much help as possible.  So here are my brainstorming notes so far.  This is for my novel...a fantasy/romance between a human girl and a werewolf.  I've studied folklore, vampire literature, and fantasy literature, so that's kinda where my inspiration comes from.  From my readings of vampire lit, I find that there are these secondary werewolf/shapeshifter characters that the main character gets interested in, but always ends up with the vamps.  Well, I like the werewolf guys better personally - they are handsome, loyal, trustworthy, and warm-blooded.  So I decided to make a werewolf my novel's main love interest.  So, please give me any feedback/help you can, especially with names!  As far as setting, I was thinking the Pittsburgh area, since I know it the best and love it.  Thanks in advance!

Main Character:  Katrina Louise (aka Kitty Lou – a nickname she detests, prefers KL) Kerns
Family:  Single mom, widowed
        Father was killed when she was 5, alleged animal mauling (when KL discovers the truth about Wolfie, she jumps to an obvious conclusion on this, but later discovers it was the work of Vamps?)

BFFs:  Sam (?), Janie, and AJ (gay male)

Wolf:  Ulmer (German – Wolf), Bade (Full Moon), Devlin (Celtic – Brave, fierce), Faolan (Celtic – Wolf), Alaric (German – He who rule), Farren (English – Wanderer), Randy (English – Wolf shield), Rollin (English – wolf), Luke)
*Orphan and adopted
*Werewolf abilities appear after puberty ~14-15 years
*Just moved to suburbs from area closer to city (Bandmates still live in old neighborhood, practice and gigs near city)
*Meet in English class – sits in seat behind KL (Class is reading Dracula, lots of complaints from girls about vampire portrayal not being like that of Twilight – KL is a Team Jacob girl anyway)

Pack = Band (5 members – Singers, 2 guitars, bass, and drums)
    Possible Band Names:  Blood Moon
                  Moongärd
                  Silver Bullets
                  Wolfsbane
                  Howling Madness
                  Lycantopia

Clues to Werewolf:
*Skips school on days after the full moon (first day only, when moon is at its strongest)
*Wears T-shirt and shorts in cold weather
*Radiates heat

"I drink my water from a wolf's footprint"

#2 2009-12-17 00:09:06

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Re: WolfWriterJK's Werewolf Novel - Help me brainstorm!

I have a quick suggestion about the clues to being a werewolf. I do believe that the Author of the "Twilight" series created the idea of radiating heat and I do believe you will have more success to copy such a thing, especially as I have noted quite a few werewolf fans have not been to keen upon their portrayal by that author.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#3 2009-12-17 18:53:28

WolfWriterJK

Re: WolfWriterJK's Werewolf Novel - Help me brainstorm!

To not copy, you mean?

Thanks for the tip.  Twilight is the first book I've read that really got into the werewolves in such detail, so I just thought that was kind of common (though I'm not surprised since Stephanie Meyer is a Mormon and never read horror fiction).  But do you think that the wearing warm weather clothes in cold weather without a jacket is still okay?  Cause it kind of runs off the same principle...that werewolves have a higher body temperature.  Any other tips to hint at the fact that he's a werewolf?  And, any literature to direct me to that might be helpful?  Unfortunately, for a modern tale, folklore isn't too helpful with werewolf clues.

In answering my own question, would other animal reactions be a good thing to hint at?  For instance, KL has a dog that hates everyone, but likes our so-far unnamed Werewolf?

"I drink my water from a wolf's footprint"

Board footer