The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-12 14:45:53

The Busboy
Administrator

"An American Werewolf in Paris" movie forum:

Post any thoughts you have regarding the movie "An American Werewolf in Paris" here in this forum.

#2 2004-10-12 15:37:47

slave2moonlight
Website

Re: "An American Werewolf in Paris" movie forum:

Well, like I've said before, American Werewolf In Paris has a bad rep, mostly because of its CGI werewolves. It was a time when CGI was really not good enough for that sort of thing (well, it still sometimes isn't, and the CG guys really need to get over themselves and stop thinking they've perfected it). I also noticed the plotholes, and felt the werewolves looked a bit too ape-like and that the zombies were REALLY annoying, rather than charming like the character of Jack in the original film (London). Still, overall it is a really REALLY fun movie, with some great comedic moments and mostly believable characters. Andy is very likeable and easy to relate to (for me, at least), and even the scary moments can work if you lose yourself in the film (and maybe squint your eyes a little). Despite the design complaints, I wouldn't want one of those werewolves after me! They certainly moved well, too, you gotta give the CGI points for that. So, overall, I find it to be one of the better werewolf movies out there. Not in my top five, but possibly my top 10.

I am also intrigued with the possibility that it is a truer sequel than I had thought before. I had heard many complain that "An American Werewolf In Paris" had nothing to do with the original (well, that shouldn't be a major issue), but I have heard that this might not be the case. I've heard that on the back of some Blockbuster rental boxes, Sarafine is described as the daughter of David Kessler and Alex Price from the original film. Watching the film, it seems possible (except that Sarafine looks nothing like David and Alex, but sometimes movies don't worry about that minor detail). This added a new depth to the film for me. But perhaps most viewers caught that possibility from the beginning, but I was among the group that didn't make the connection on first viewing.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#3 2004-10-12 15:39:05

slave2moonlight
Website

At any rate, I am ready and waiting for "An American Werewolf In Tokyo!" No, don't get excited, I just made that up, but it'd be cool. Maybe I'll write the script sometime.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#4 2004-10-12 18:07:43

WolfVanZandt
Website

How about "An American Werewolf in Transylvania"?

By the way, you can say what you want about AWiP but it was, at least, a fun film.

#5 2004-10-12 21:35:21

The Busboy
Administrator

My comments:
I only have one comment on this film, and that is that the crucifiction scene in the church is a classic, it is one of the most disturbing moments in film, in my opinion.  I own this film.

#6 2006-05-22 11:57:13

Bloodfang85
The Bad Guy
Website

I own it too, and on most accounts, I think it's mainly a comedy.

Anyway, I'm only reawakening this topic today because this movie was on yesterday.

If each problem I have were a grain of sand, then I would inherit a desert.

#7 2008-07-08 18:47:07

The Busboy
Administrator

From another forum topic that was deleted (since this one already existed):

child-of-the-moon wrote:

over all i thought the movie was kind of cheesy. when i saw a wolf jump out i thought: wow! do we really look like that? not to mention those were lycans but they referred to all werewolves to look like that. w/e! many are very furry. it was completely rude. but it was pretty funny to see them all scatter:)

#8 2008-07-11 01:31:48

WereWolfH

Ummmm the tunnel scene with both guys was SCARY at the theater and the girl in the cemetary that was scary!!! Well at least I believed it (looking back at it the CG is ugh) and I'm looking at the soundtrack  now (soundtrack REALLY IS STILL GREAT) and I remember blacking out the werewolf b/c it was too scary for me to have to look at. haha.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#9 2010-01-06 14:30:35

Trevorious

This was a really fun movie to watch, and I'm pretty sure it's number 2 on my favorite list. mind you, I havn't seen many of the "classic" werewolf films, so It may very well go down a few. I like the comedy, and it had the right amount of gore, and blood. and comedy. Does not try and get too serious, or preachy. and doesn't really stretch the traditional image of werewolfs, and i like that. I would recomend this film to my friends and family.

Oh, and sarafina is REALLY HOT!!!!

#10 2010-01-06 16:43:11

zockereinstein

Necroposting party!!!!! big_smile

I liked the movie, but it is not in my top five. Yes, it's a comedy, and has good and terrorific moments. But when I finished watching it I felt like a good oportunity had been missed. A good oportunity of showing a scary and powerful female werewolf. A missed oportunity of having taken the werewolf movies a bit more serious. And something more. Really, if the movie hasn't been the sequel of AAWIL it could have been a very aceptable one. But its sin is to be the child of the best werewolf movie ever. And for many werewolf fans that was unforgivable.
So, with tf's like the original and a bit more serious theme, it could have been... we'll never know.

#11 2010-01-14 19:39:17

WereWolfH

zockereinstein wrote:

Necroposting party!!!!! big_smile

I liked the movie, but it is not in my top five. Yes, it's a comedy, and has good and terrorific moments. But when I finished watching it I felt like a good oportunity had been missed. A good oportunity of showing a scary and powerful female werewolf. A missed oportunity of having taken the werewolf movies a bit more serious. And something more. Really, if the movie hasn't been the sequel of AAWIL it could have been a very aceptable one. But its sin is to be the child of the best werewolf movie ever. And for many werewolf fans that was unforgivable.
So, with tf's like the original and a bit more serious theme, it could have been... we'll never know.

I liked American Werewolf in Paris! I saw it at the movies and the graveyard scene was frightening. I remember (well I still have it on tape) of the main two characters on MTV Live (name before TRL became the name with an added countdown) and they premiered the music video which is a GREAT VIdeo by Bush. (Song's called Mouth) If you haven't seen it please watch it (I think it's on youtube) some of the band become werewolves!!!!!!! I even have the first set of trailers b/c I taped the Mtv Music Awards (when they were good) and it came on then.

It was kinda scary. Kinda dumb but kinda scary. Sorry but the first one, they coulda cut that whole Natzi wolf thing. I think if the werewolves were worked on a bit more to look more real instead of cartoonish and not matching to the movie, then it would have done better. Maybe if the faces of them looking more wolf or doglike would have helped but I think a lot of people hated the CG. Better than Sci-fi channel effects but not what it could have been.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

Board footer