The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-14 13:08:56

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

WBG review of Benighted, by Kit Whitfield

This topic is to discuss what you liked or disliked in the book. Later on, we will be covering the questions for discussion that are included in the back of the book itself.
  Feel free to point out anything you would like to about the book, even spoilers are okay.
  As of this moment, I'm about halfway through the novel and am still going. Nonetheless, I felt it was time to make this topic so others will be encouraged to get this book and read it. I'd love to find out what everyone thought of the themes in this book, which are getting more and more intense as it goes along.

The story focuses on Lola May Galley, a human woman in her late twenties. She is forced to live under the restrictions of a minority class that is free from the Lycanthropic obligations of most of the world, but is looked down upon for not being under that vicious curse. About 90% of the world's population are Lycanthropes. Those that aren't 'lycos' are doomed to wander the streets at night, catching the 'lunes' that don't humanely lock themselves away during a the night of a Full Moon. These 'nons' who do not shift spend the rest of the month picking up the pieces legally or bureaucratically. Although Lycanthropes are a main aspect of this novel, the book does not focus on the werewolf creature itself. It uses that setting to describe much deeper issues.

Lola's partner is mutilated early on, and the 'Lyco' responsible was caught and processed. When the same partner is murdered, Lola is set as the defense attorney for the primary suspect.

One of the interesting things is that this actually seems to be a sub-plot to the main story. The main story is more about her coping with survival in a world in which she doesn't fit. The main theme is definitely based on the affects of prejudice, also the troubles of living in an underprivileged class. However, I'm only halfway through. I started this post before I finished the book. That means I'm liking it. A lot.

At certain points in the book, it deals with subjects that are difficult for me to read because of certain realistically cruel depictions, and my personal feelings are that no person or group of persons should ever need be treated as underprivileged.

It was originally difficult to get enthralled over the plot points, but as I continued reading (especially once Paul came into the picture), I became more interested in the investigative and social aspects of Lola's life and how they are changing her. I did get hit by a couple of 'balls out of left field' around Chapter 15 that has seemed to shift things considerably (yet not lycanthropically - is that a word? Well is is now), and I get the feeling that there's more to come, but instead of simply tolerating it as I was in the beginning, I'm really getting into the story now.

I guess what I'm saying is that the story seems to start off pretty slow, but it picks up pace without your realizing it. As a result, please give it 8-10 chapters before you decide if you want to finish it. By that time, you'll want to.

Comments?

Last edited by Grayle (2007-12-20 12:42:49)

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#2 2007-12-20 12:44:42

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: WBG review of Benighted, by Kit Whitfield

Oh - here's an addendum: I found this Game based on the 'Moon Nights' described in the book:
http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/bareback/
I'm not sure if it's marketing for the Book or the upcoming movie, but I really dig the idea.

#3 2007-12-20 22:56:22

Kyllein

Regrettably, Amazon is out right now.  I'll keep lurking until it's back in.

Kyllein Faolchu' MacKellerann, Aka RedEye, Kyllein, KMacK, Faolchu' and Lupus Umbrus (NOT Shadow Wolf!)  Here's the Joke:  That's My Real Name! big_smile
Clean Scent and Clear Trail: may your hunt be fruitful!

#4 2007-12-21 11:03:28

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

This might be helpful - I got a used copy through Amazon (actually ended up being some bookstore in California). There was a repaired tear on the top of one page, and that was it. Wow. Not that big of a deal for me.
  Anyway, here's a link to a list of used copies of Benighted through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ … 69-8713437

#5 2007-12-25 01:00:09

Kyllein

Still out, but I'm patient.  I still have my own novels to deal with: the ones that have eaten nearly 300K words so far....  Owww- my achin' fingers.

Kyllein Faolchu' MacKellerann, Aka RedEye, Kyllein, KMacK, Faolchu' and Lupus Umbrus (NOT Shadow Wolf!)  Here's the Joke:  That's My Real Name! big_smile
Clean Scent and Clear Trail: may your hunt be fruitful!

#6 2007-12-28 05:42:01

AesirWolf
The Pizza Werewolf

Grayle wrote:

This might be helpful - I got a used copy through Amazon (actually ended up being some bookstore in California). There was a repaired tear on the top of one page, and that was it. Wow. Not that big of a deal for me.
  Anyway, here's a link to a list of used copies of Benighted through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ … 69-8713437

Thanks for giving the link, Grayle...

"The power of goddess Freyja and god Freyr rests in my paws..."

"Want some pizza? Let me make them for you!"

#7 2008-01-04 21:28:15

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Okay, I finished it! And let me tell you, I'm glad I did. It kept getting increasingly interesting, and ended with a conspiracy-like conundrum. I loved it.
  For those who did not get to acquire a copy of this book yet, you can get more information from the reference links HERE. It's worth the discussion - and the read, believe me.
Get a copy!!!!

I believe the first major post should be from Niktoma, since I'm pretty sure he's been fidgeting in his seat in anticipation, eagerly waiting to discuss this book.

First one goes to you, my friend. What did you think of Benighted, by Kit Whitfield?

Last edited by Grayle (2008-01-04 21:34:16)

#8 2008-01-04 22:22:04

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

I absolutely loved it.  It was amazingly well-put-together, just thick and heavy with details, history, character development, and everything.

Quite a welcome change from Blood and Chocolate.

Basically, if you'll forgive me for repeating some of what Grayle has already written, the world depicted in this novel is quite different, but still basically the same as our own.  99% of the people in this world are born werewolves.  Classic, Hollywood, shift-and-kill-on-the-full-moon werewolves.  The remaining 1% are human, the results of a birth defect.  Some time in the Middle Ages, laws were passed that required all werewolves to lock themselves in on the night of the full moon, and the human segment of the population was entrusted with enforcing these laws.

Flash-forward to the present day, and you have a government agency, the Department for the Ongoing Regulation of Lycanthropic Activity (DORLA), an entirely human organization that patrols the streets each full moon, locking up the werewolves that break this law.

The main character, Lola, is one of these officers.  Most of the book is made up of her experiences, living on the edge of her society.  It seems the only occupation available to humans is in DORLA, while werewolves are free to become lawyers, actors, businessmen, anything, so what you have is an implicitly divided culture, where the humans are poor, disenfranchised, and yet still play an incredibly vital role in society.

One of the things I really enjoyed was the conflict between the 'haves' and the 'have-nots'.  I think anyone who has ever felt, at one time or another, that they are a member of a minority, will find alot in this book that echoes  their own experiences.  This book raises, or at least it raised to me, many questions involving truth and justice. 

Is justice the property of the majority?  When majority and minority are as cleary defined as they are in this book, is justice even available to the minority?  Can such a rigidly-enforced division help society in the long and short terms?  At what point does the quest for justice become, well, unjustifiable?  Is it worth sacrificing justice or truth in order to preserve social harmony?  Where do we, as individuals, and citizens, draw the line? 

Don't think that, by picking up this book, you're dooming yourself to a couple hundred pages of social commentary.  It is a novel, filled with interesting characters, situations, and plenty of excitement.  But it does, as all good books should, make you take a second look at your own world, at your own life, and question some very basic principles.

If you are even remotely considering the possibility of reading this book, I say go for it.  It's well worth the fifteen or sixteen bucks I spent on it

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#9 2008-01-04 23:14:02

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I'm lucky. I only paid eleven, and I provided a link to the Amazon page I used. That gives you even LESS reason to avoid buying this book.

I loved how Kit described a little reaction to every action. It was a different style for me to read, and then I got used to it quickly, then enjoyed it. Kit would describe the way someone looked at Lola, and what the expression meant. She'd describe holding a cup of coffee, and what effect it had on the hands or throat. The sounds that feet made on the stairs, the pattering of the rain on the window, things like that. It enlivened the scenes tremendously.
  NOTE: For a cinematic comparison, think of how Christian Bale's character was re-introduced to emerging emotions and how they affected his view of the things around him in the movie Equilibrium. The descriptions that Kit uses in this book had a similar effect.

One of the problems in discussing this book is that there are plenty of surprises in this book, and since they're so intertwined into the plot, it's nearly impossible to discuss the book without giving away some of the surprises.

Things that I really like about the book:

First, the surprises. There were quite a few twists that I didn't see coming, some that made me slap my forehead for not seeing it coming, and... some that made me verbally cry out "No Way! Oh, no! Oh, Man!" much to the chagrin of my wife. Now, I never cry out when reading books, but this one made me do so. That should tell you something.

Second, the themes. As I said before, some of them were very difficult for me to read, but by the end of the book I was astounded at how they were addressed in full.

Third, the werewolves (though they are never called werewolves or lycanthropes, and I found that factor itself to be rather poetic). Yes, the werewolves were not the main part of this story. Yes, the main character is not a werewolf. However, this book did indeed have a TF (Transformation sequence) in it, and therefore is defined as a werewolf story in my view. The TF itself was well described, and the after-affects were also discussed. I respect that.

Fourth, the interaction between Lola and the people around her. I found them to be very realistic, and easy to follow.

Fifth, Paul. He was my favorite character. I am a husband to a woman who has been through enormous trials, tribulations, and victimizations before I met her, I've had to deal with the repercussions of those traumas. I dealt with them in very similar ways that Paul did. I saw a lot of myself and my own experiences in Paul, and the way he dealt with Lola's frustrations when everything was falling apart was spot on. He responded more than he reacted, and that's vital. And on top of that, he was a werewolf.
  Yup, Paul was a great role.

One last one. The sequences dealing with catching violators on the Moon nights was terrific. The first one, the one with Marty, practically terrified me. The second one with Nate where Lola found the <EDITED FOR CONTENT> was captivating. And don't get me started on how surprised I was with the subsequent members of that group they caught!

Man, I agree with Niktoma. I really want to go into more detail, but I don't want to ruin anything, either.

I got an idea; I'll ask.
   How does everyone else feel about this dilemma?

#10 2009-11-07 21:39:53

WereWolfH

wow I just picked up this book to see if it was good. Hmmmmm sounds like the wolf kinds of werewolves. sad.

We'll see if I continue with this or not.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#11 2010-02-15 23:46:21

WereWolfH

maybe I'll try this again since it's being turned into a movie, called Bareback.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

Board footer