The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-27 12:48:52

Feliciamae...wolf

Gem Keeper- Jadacelia Moonlit Night

(okay. so this is a story that i have been writing for months now...dont mind the spelling errors and the very few confusing parts because i have yet gone back to revise it. I'm only going to post the first chapter and ill be willing to continue it if asked....opinions will be very appercitaed. Enjoy! big_smile)

I screamed to the top of my lungs, although I knew nobody would hear me. The crest of the woods was only a half of a apple tree field away and even then it would be a long run through the trails, maybe even longer to find the snow mobilers that were roaring through the thick woods. Fear was drilling into every nerve of my body. I was numb, not only because of the zero degrees weather but because of the thought of my mother and older brother no longer breathing in the house. They were gone, for good and I needed to  save myself, not only for me but for them also,  I needed to be able to speak for them , no matter how much I loved my dad I wasn’t going to let him get away with this.

“Jade! don’t you run from me!” his voice ripped through the air.

The crunches of his footsteps in the snow got louder and closer, and as much I wanted to pick up the speed , I couldn’t, my legs were tired and frozen, and my dad was a track star in high school. I pushed myself as hard as I could go, but it was a small rock buried in the snow that made me come to dead halt, face first into the cold snow. I turned and looked at him, tears frozen to my face, along with a clump of my thick chestnut brown hair.

“Dad! Please don’t!” I cried, begging for my life. It was useless, and I knew it, but for some reason I hoped he would let me go, only knowing that my hopes would be crashed.

My dads eyes were filled with paranoia and sorrow as he aimed the gun directly at my head, tears still filled his red puffy hazel eyes and he was shivering, I wasn’t sure if it was because of the cold or if he was scared or,  like me, both. He didn’t look like himself, just yesterday we were sitting around the dinner table cracking jokes and sharing old stories. What honestly could have changed him in a such a short period of time? My body was already soaked thanks to the lovely tumble down the hill only a few feet away from the two story yellow and white house. So the fall didn’t do much effect to me, it was just the cold snow that stung my body. 

I didn’t know what to do, if I tried to run he could easily open fire and kill me. I could hardly get a word out of my mouth, because every time I tried it would come out in sobs and wouldn’t make one bit of sense. I backed up a bit, but my dad kept moving closer. He closed his eyes and turned his face away from me, and it was then I knew it was the end, so I did the same. I clenched my eyes  and fist shut, and turned my face away, helpless and vulnerable, I waited. The gun fired loudly,  piercing the air and making my ears ring,  I jolted backward in the snow. For a second I thought this was death, maybe I had died instantly, It was the pain in my shoulder that made me open my eyes. Red warm blood poured from the hole in my left shoulder. Instantly, I placed my hand over it, applying as much pressure as possible.

I was in and out of consciousness when I saw the black silhouette of a man over me, he pushed the hair out of my face and wrapped something around me, a coat of some sort, all though it didn’t do me any good. I was still freezing.

“Everything’s going to be okay now.” his voice was gentle and deep. “Just stay---” he began again. But I blacked out. 

When I had awoken I saw flashing lights. I was being moved on a stretcher, my dad was on the other one beside me. Blood was pouring from his head but I could tell he was conscious, he was trying to speak. He hadn’t been shot, just wounded. By the stranger who had saved my life.

They asked me questions in the ambulance, looking in my eyes with their flash light and I was wondering why they were not rushing me to the hospital.  I was responsive but my heart was still racing against my chest.  My body was numb, the only sign of pain was in my heart, as my brother and mother leaked into  my thoughts. They wouldn’t be leaving on a body stretcher like I am, they would be leaving in body bags. I stopped breathing at the thought, mixed emotions of happiness that I made it, and sadness because the others didn’t know. The pain was excruciating.

“I’ve been shot,” I managed to get out, still in slight shock. “My shoulder..”

“There isn’t anything there, you had a panic attack.” One of the paramedics said, worry struck her eyes. I sat up, even though they insisted I stayed lying down. My head spun a bit, but it was nothing I couldn’t manage. I examined my shoulder in disbelief, my shirt was still stained but there was no hole, no more gushing blood, the wound was healed, a little round scar took its place. My brows furrowed as I tried to gather all this, the pain was to real to deny it ever happening. It was all beyond my understanding, but I had a witness. If only I had gotten to see his face. Maybe he was still out there, he had to stick around, hadn’t he?  I didn’t dare jump out of the ambulance so I searched with the little space I had.

There he was, at least I thought that was him, his hands were jammed into the pockets of his dark blue jeans and his white shirt nearly glowed in the night. I realized I still had his coat. I handed it over to one of the paramedics to give back to him, and he took it, which confirmed my guess of him being the stranger that saved my life. He was also my witness.

“If she is stable, we need to take her in for questioning as soon as possible.”  The detective said to one of the paramedics. They then took the conversation outside. Another one of the paramedics patted my shoulder.

“You’re going to be just fine, kid.” he said and then walked up to the front of the ambulance. Leaving me in the ambulance, alone. Big mistake.

I jumped out of the Ambulance and hurried over to the guy that had helped me before. Medics screamed after me, but I ignored them. My legs were wobbling but I managed to get at least halfway towards him before he turned and walked further away.

“Hey! I need to talk to you!” I hollered after him, but he continued to walk, his back turned from me. Finally I had stopped chasing after him, it wasn’t long until one of the medics were at my side insisting that I go back to the ambulance. Disappointed  and  numb, I did as I was told.

Chapter 1
Hero
6 months later

Summer rolled around quickly, maybe it was because I ignored time. Days went flying by and I was standing still. Moving in with my aunt was the hardest thing to adjust to, her rules, new school, new friends, and her job sucking up every moment of her life. I wasn’t used to being alone all the time,  I tried to keep myself busy for as long as possible, but when there was nothing else to do, I’d found myself curled up in bed with tears streaming down my face.

The room was nicely set up, the architecture was amazing, my bed lined along the huge window that over looked the lake so at night I’d stare at the moons reflection and think, about my mom and brother, my dad in jail for life, my low grades and the guy that had somehow saved my life. Sometimes thinking is my problem, I wish I could stop. I wish that my dads face wouldn’t haunt my memory, at least not the face that I had seen the night that he had taken my life away. Not physically, but mentally I was gone. Depression took its toll, I didn’t eat right for awhile and I refused to have conversation with anyone longer than a few minutes.  Counseling didn’t feel like it was helping, but it at least helped me get my emotions out. It took me along time to actually tell my counselor anything, I’d stay on the couch and just stare at the clock waiting for time to pass by, it was only then that time would slow, when my anticipation to get out of there grew. I decided that I didn’t want to do counseling anymore, my aunt said that was fine and I had my last few sessions.

The lake was quiet this morning, other than the sound of the birds and frogs. A dragon fly landed on the edge of the  paddle boat. The sun was just rising and I thought that there was no better way to watch it than to watch it in the middle of the lake. I let the boat float, but made sure that it didn’t drift off to far from the log cabin house that I have been living in the past six months of my miserable life.  My aunt Briley was called into work at four this morning, but I guess that happens when you need to save peoples lives. She’s a doctor, It was the first time I’ve ever met her when I had moved in. She’s kind and caring, but how would I really know when I hardly even see or speak to her. We both go about our own business around here, and I don’t mind it to much, it just gets lonely.

In return she bought me a puppy for my welcoming present. He’s a Great Dane named Niko.  She probably knew I was going to be home alone a lot and living a day without working would kill her, or that’s how she makes it seems. And Niko was fun until I found out he wasn’t potty trained. Nevertheless, it only took a few months to train him, its not to hard when you have time on your hands and only one friend at school who is usually busy with sports and essays.

My cell phone rang and I answered although I didn’t get good reception the lake.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Happy Seventeenth birthday! Girlie!” Naomi said.

“Thanks for reminding me.” I half-heartedly chuckled. “What’s up?”

“Well, my family and I are going kayaking here in a minute. We were wondering if you wanted to go camping next week?”

I paused. Camping?  It reminded me of when mom and my older brother Timothy would go camping, I wasn’t sure if I was ready to go without them, but I also didn’t want to let Naomi down. She was my best friend after all, and she is the only friend in this town that I told about what had happened and she has yet to tell anyone, I should at least give  her some credit and who knows maybe it will be good for me.

â€œYeah, just let me check in with Briley and I’ll get back to you.”

“Okay,” I heard her say but it was broken up. When she said she had to go it sounded more like. “Gut ta goat. Buh..e.’

“Bye,” I said hoping she could hear me  and then hung up and began paddling back home.

When I got closer to the logged-cabin-house, I realized that there was someone standing on the dock. He looked tall even from where I was sitting, and I was still quite far from the dock. The guy looked oddly familiar, but I couldn’t come up with a name or anything of that sort. The familiarities were a long shot in the dark, but I had a good idea of who he was.
    The sky grew slightly darker, I looked up at the nearly black clouded sky and pouted, I thought today was a going to be a nice day. Of course this all had to happen on my birthday, a random rain storm.   My head jotted up when I realized that the man on the dock was calling my name.

“Jade! Paddle faster!” He hollered, huh? I stared stupidly at him as he dove into the lake. What is his problem?

A loud thud came from the other the end of the boat, sending me forward, nearly cracking my head off the edge,  I caught myself, and gasped as the water quickly began leaking in. I grabbed my sweatshirt and shoved it in the gaping hole at the bottom of the boat. The morning summer air was cool on my bare shoulders, Chills swept over me, I shivered, gooseflesh appeared on my arms, and the hair on the back of my neck raised. I began to scoop as much water out of the boat as fast as possible, until the boat took another blow and this time it sent me face first into the lake.
    As I plunged into the blankness and searched for my way up. But something had grabbed my wrist pulling me further and further into the shadows. Holding my breath became harder and harder and I began to panic when the bubbles came from my mouth and nose. When I reached for what was grabbing onto my wrist, my other hand was grabbed also, I was cuffed. Whatever was wrapped around them was slimy and when I opened my eyes to see what it was, all I saw was a series of weeds, and a face in the far distance. She was pale, and her eyes had a light blue film over them. It was then I realized that the weeds were of hair and her only intentions were to drown me. She smirked up at me when she realized she was succeeding,  I let out a loud scream. It was of course muffled  and I wasn’t sure if anyone else in the water would hear it. She began to scream and was as if she was a banshee,  Her hair-weeds let go of my wrist and I covered my ears. It got darker and I realized that it was the lady leaking something black, something  like blood.  I began to get dizzy and I knew that I really needed to get to the top, I looked up, I could see the sun shining, kissing my face, as the lady sunk further into the darkness. I began to swim but my body was giving out on me, I pushed myself, urging to get to the surface and I was moving but very slowly.
    Suddenly, someone’s firm hand clamped onto my arm and began to pull me up. I was gliding through the water, with my eyes now closed, falling in and out of consciousness. When the cool air hit me, I gasped, sucking in as much of it as I possibly could. I coughed up what seemed to be half of the lake as the two firm hands held my waist, keeping me from going back under. I was still weak, and I knew that swimming back to the dock would be a challenge.

“Are you okay?” He manage to get out, also gasping for air. I turned around and clung to him, I really just wanted to be able to see his face. For a second my heart stopped, he’s the guy that saved me from my dad, how’d he know I was here? He waited for an answer, as he stared at me with is big chocolate brown eyes, his hair looked almost black, and it fell in dark curls. His jaw was square and when he pressed his lips together to spit out the water he would have deep dimples.

“I’m just peachy.” I muttered sarcastically, looking into the dark water. “what was that?”

“We can talk about that another time, lets get to the dock.” he interrupted. “get on my back and hold on.”

I did as he asked me to, and he began to swim back. Once I regained some strength I hopped off his back and began to swim on my own. He swam faster than me, but every time id fall  behind, he’d  slow. When we had gotten to the dock, he helped me up and then we both sat down panting, I couldn’t wait to catch our breath I had to many questions.

“What are a super hero or something?” I asked teasingly.

“Something like that.” he was serious, but he was distant as he tried to catch his breath. He looked over the lake, his brown eyes almost a gold when the sun hit it. I found myself staring, however it was when his eyes ever so quickly glanced at me, I found my head turned the opposite way and my cheeks burning up.

I paused and looked down at my soaked converse. “Umm
about my dad..” I began and he sighed, I ignored it. “You saw me get shot
what happened to the gun wound?”

He seemed annoyed with the question, and I could feel the anger growing inside me as he rolled is eyes. I have the right to know, anyone with  common sense would admit to that. He was the only one who knew the answer, and I am to stubborn to deal with I’m-not-going-to-tell-you for an answer. I stared at him prying for an answer. Our heavy breathing stopped and all was quiet.

“My name is Noah by the way,” he said ignoring what I asked him. This infuriated me, I glared at him.

“Don’t change the subject.”

“I just saved your ass, is that how you’re going to thank me?” he asked rudely. I was taken aback by the random blow of harsh words he spat at me, but he was right. I let my head fall to my knee and I took a deep breath in, trying to control my anger.
    I’ve been on edge all this month and there was no denying it, I’ve been both moody and snappy and I was already on the verge of groundation with Briley. I looked up at him and frowned.

“Thank you,”  I replied, baffled. I paused for a second, “But I believe I have the right to know.”
    Noah stood up and stared at me,  I stood up also. Ready to chase him down this time, if he were to run.  He looked as if he wanted to say something but he couldn’t form the words right. He parted his lips a couple times almost like he had it down, as if he had rehearsed once before but when he spoke, he didn’t say what I wanted to hear,

“You’re right, you do have the right to know, but I am not obligated to tell you at this moment. In fact, I wasn’t even obligated to save you at all. So  be thankful that you’re alive and leave it at that.” Noah snapped. My mouth popped open in shock. What an arrogant
Noah  turned on the balls of his heals and booked it off  the dock and towards the woods.

“Hey! Come back! Noah!“ I ran as fast as I could after him. The woods began to get thicker and the crest was growing out of view quickly.  Noah was running so fast and I was losing my breath quickly and my wet black jean shorts were rubbing against my bare thighs causing a rash. By then I couldn’t even see Noah anymore, he had disappeared. Maybe if I ran a little faster I would at least be able to see him
but then before I knew it  I was laying flat on my stomach and my ankle was throbbing. I sat up wincing in pain. I fell backward and tried to catch my breath from all the running, and sobbing. I felt like a whinny little baby. And  I felt even more idiotic when Noah looked over me with concerned big brown eyes. I covered my face, smothering my face with embarrassment, while I tried to hide the tears and suck up the pain.

“Well, its not broken...Maybe slightly sprained
Can you move it?” Noah asked.

I slightly rotated my ankle and then groaned , I’ve been shot before and I cant even handle a sprained ankle? Urg! Suck it up, Jade.  I thought to myself as I sat up again, eyes still watering.

“I’ll carry you back to your house but I’m not staying.”  Noah said beginning to slip his arms beneath me. I slapped his hands away.

“Screw it, I’ll walk back.” I snapped, forcing myself off the ground and began to limp forward. I almost fell again, but luckily Noah had caught my arm. He seemed amused now.

Noah smirked at me, his dimples deepening, “You were saying..” he replied smartly. I glared at him, consulting with myself on how much I’m already starting to not like this guy. I rolled my eyes and wrapped one arm around his neck, He swiped me off my feet, but not in one of those romantic kind of ways, it was awkward and uncomfortable, I refused to even look at him the whole way. I was shocked when he opened my back door and carried me over to my couch as if he knew the place by heart. I was even more appalled that he had the strength to carry me back as far as he did. I expected him to at least almost drop me, but It was as if I was a feather to him. Weightless.

Noah disappeared and then came back with a bag of frozen vegetables and placed it on my ankle. “Do you have any medical wraps or gauze ore something of that sort?” He asked.

“In the bathroom under the sink my aunt keeps a little kit
” I began, but before I could finish he disappeared again. Noah came back with a wrap and began to wrap my foot.

“Have your aunt take a look at it when she gets home.”  He said as he inclined my foot, by placing an pillow under it. I nodded. 

He  stood there for a moment and I ignored him. He cleared his throat and I turned on the TV and just stared glancing back a couple times, hoping that  he wasn’t expecting a thank you. Maybe I was being a little selfish and rude but you know what, he was being a jerk and its not like I asked for his help in the first place, I am fully capable of taking care of myself.

“Fine.” He said giving in. “I’ll be seeing you soon.”

Great. I thought sarcastically as  Noah turned and left me to sulk in my curiosity. Why was he always saving me? How’d he heal me? How did he always know where I was? My curiosity could go on 
but the bigger question was, would my questions ever be answered? It was like he left me on a cliff hanger in a new book, I longed to know more, while I sulked with the small bits that I have. He seems to always be around when I am in a near death situation. Not very sociable. Very hotheaded and most of  all, mysterious. He reminds me of why I don’t read mystery novels. I pouted and changed the channel.

Last edited by Feliciamae...wolf (2010-03-27 12:52:06)

#2 2010-03-27 15:07:39

curiousape

Re: Gem Keeper- Jadacelia Moonlit Night

this is good
keep writing

if you expect something to happen, it will; whether good, bad or judgmental 
but if you hold no expectations, the world opens up with myriad possibility

#3 2010-03-27 17:56:07

lonewolf13

more!!!!!!!!!!!
smile

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. ...In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth...."
    Alphonse Elric --- Fullmetal Alchemist

#4 2010-03-28 04:32:07

SilentStrider

I definitely would love to see you continue this most intriguing story.  You're right that there are few things that can be done to improve the flow, but this early into the tale I'm not so picky.  What you've written is well enough to get a good understanding of what's going on and captivates the imagination to make your reader want to know more. 

Bravo!  Job well done.

I have to wonder (as I'm sure everyone else is) what's the truth behind Noah.  My first guess is some kind of guardian angel, but if that's wrong then I have to go with some kind of werewolf seeing that this is the Werewolf Cafe after all.  I hope you are kind enough to bestow us with more of your story, because I'm eager to find out who and what the mysterious Noah truly is.

#5 2010-03-28 13:01:34

Feliciamae...wolf

(I'm like 60 pages into the story on microsoft word, but im going to post chapter at a time. I have an editor and i guess shes still editing it, ill probably go through it myself sooner or later, i planned to after i finished it. This is  a rough draft. But im glad you all liked it! and you're on track SilentStrider)

Chapter 2
All Fairytales

“Surprise!” Naomi  and several other hollered inside  the huge white tent set up on the other side of the lake. Tiki torches were set around the outside, inside were red round lanterns and music was blaring. I froze. 

“Sorry! We’re a little late! Jade took a fall earlier. We had to go get a brace.” Briley apologized to all the family members and old friends from my home town. I stood in shock, but it wasn’t that good kind of shock. I hate surprises! Only my mother and Alexia would know that. Alexia was my best friend from home, the only one that hadn’t gone behind my back and done something crucial to me. All the others pretended to be my friends either because they had a crush on my older bother or had a thing for one of my brothers friends that would seem to hang out a lot at my house, because my mom will take in anyone and my brother seemed to take that advantage of that fact.  I was tackled by a group of old fake-friends,  Millie, Carmen and Lacey gave me a group hug. I hugged back awkwardly. I hadn’t seen or talked to them in six months, so it was a little more than weird.

Alexia waited in the corner for me, when we caught eyes she gave me one of those nervous forgive me looks. I walked over to her and took a seat beside her as everyone else began to jam to the music. Naomi sat on the other side of me, she seemed nervous also but I didn’t blame her, she was in a huge tent with a group of people she didn’t know. My grandmother gave me a huge hug and kiss on the cheek, “Have some fun, sweetheart” She insisted and then hurried back to the group of adults on the other side of the tent.  But how could I? I hate the attention, my ankle hurt and I was getting a head ache from the music and my restless thoughts. I was oddly shaky and I just wanted to go home and wrap myself in my blanket.

“I’m Lexia.” Alexia said stretching her hand out towards Naomi. It was then I realized I for got to introduce the two. Nonetheless, it was to late, Naomi reached out and grabbed Lexia’s hand and introduced herself also. They began a conversation and before I knew it I was being pulled off my feet by the two of them and dragged over to the dance floor. I stood awkwardly for a moment, until I finally gave in and began to dance.  Or at least tried to dance. It wasn’t very easy when you had a brace on. Everything began to speed up, my head began spinning, all of it began to be to much for me to handle. I hurried outside and followed the path, Tiki torches lighting my path. I followed it all the way to the gazebo that overlooked the lake. The music from the party was distant, and I soaked up as much of the peace and quiet as could. I sat down on the cushioned bench and buried my face in my hands. A breeze took over and I was suddenly wishing I had on a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt instead of this stupid little red dress, Briley insisted I wear. My hands were shaky, in fact I was just shaking in general. Footsteps came from the stairs of the gazebo and I looked up.

Noah was leaning up against the railing, just staring at me. “Great, just who I wanted to see,” I snarled sarcastically. I didn’t know where my anger came from, it just slipped. I got up and walked over to the railing side and looked out into the lake. “Why don’t you just leave me alone.”  I began to pick the white paint off the railing. The summer breeze made my loose strand of wavy brown hair brush my shoulder. He walked closer and  I turned frustrated with his presence.

“And why should I?” He asked, sitting down where I was ting before.

“Don’t get smart. I don’t need your help anymore, I’m just fine on my own. And if you’re not going to give me answers to my questions
Well then
there’s just no point for you to follow me anymore.”

“There is a reason.” He said matter-of-factly. “How are you feeling right now?”

I blinked and paused, Lie.  “Fine, my friends are here
its my birthday.. everything is just perfect. I feel--great.” I worked up a fake smile and then turned back to the lake. I clenched onto the railing refraining myself form clenching my fist, which were tingling.

“Then why aren’t you with your friends?” 

I rolled my eyes, now shaking uncontrollably. “What is your deal? Why cant you just leave me alone?! I don’t even know you and I’m already sick of you! Just go back where you came from because you’re not wanted here!” 

“Why don’t you make me leave,” he chuckled and it hit my raw nerve. I started for him, my fist clenched, my body shaking and my blood boiling. Next thing I knew I was lunging for him, I heard a loud ripping sound and when I landed I was on four  padded feet. I tried to stop but skidded taking Noah down with me.

I didn’t understand. I heard a muffled sound coming from beneath me and I got up, I forgot about Noah getting caught underneath me. He groaned, as he laid on his back. Giving one last worried glance at him I took off into the woods, everything smelt different, I could hear things that I wouldn’t usually hear, like a stream
but there was no stream around here, not one that I could see
 what was even odder, I could see in the thick dark forest, there was no way that the moonlight was giving me this much light. I hurried down by the lake, running. I stopped just centimeters from the water, and stared down into my reflection. I was taken aback by the look of the over grown dog staring back at me. There is no way.  Absolutely impossible. I stuck my head In the water. And definitely not a dream. I thought myself shaking the dripping water off.  Then paced back and forth  along side the lake. This isn’t me, I cant believe it
I wont believe. I took another look at the false reflection.  Hoping to see the pale face that I’m used to seeing in the mirror. But it wasn’t me and it wasn’t false, I blinked and so did the green eyes staring back at me. I raised my paw and so did the wolf in the water. I backed away and just as I was about to run even further into the forest a deep  a voice stopped me.

“I healed you when your father shot you,” his voice came from the crest of the woods. Noah was sitting on a rock, over looking the lake. The words stung, I stopped and stared at him. He sounded foreign, he had a strange accent. “The lady in the water who tried to kill you today, Is Lucinda. She wont be the only one who will be after you, I assure you . Why I save you?” He paused. “Well because lets just say that I was assigned to, a guardian I guess you could say and it is my job to keep you safe
not that I am much help for you now. Unless I’m order otherwise, we‘re stuck with each other until we die. ”

I growled, warning him not to be a jerk. I was shocked by it and I began pacing again, this cant be happening, this cant be happening. He placed his hand on my back and I flinched back and let out al loud snarl showing my teeth. Noah jumped back and put his hands up in defeat. I rolled my eyes. “If you concentrate and get yourself together you’ll be able turn back
Ummm, here you‘ll need this.” He took off his shirt and instantly I turned the my head away from him, I snapped a peak quickly, The moonlight made him look more muscular shading his abs and biceps. He threw the shirt at me and then disappeared into the woods. I stared at it for a moment and then realized why I needed it. The red dress had been the loud ripping sound. I began to concentrate, I pictured my long brown wavy hair, my small petite body and well
turning back into me. I pictured me being human again. I sat there and concentrated, focusing as hard as possible.
    Finally, the tingling sensation shot threw my whole body and began shifting back into myself. When I was a full human and my ears and tail were gone, I hurriedly slipped the big black button up shirt on me. It went a little above my knees.

“Are you done?”  Noah hollered and I jumped and screeched,

When I gathered myself I replied, “um, yes.”  When he came back out from the woods I gave him the most infuriated look I have given anyone.

“Don’t worry, I didn’t peak. Believe it or not I have at least that much respect.” Noah replied.

“How is this possible!?” I asked, it came out in almost a whimper. “What is happening to me?”
    Noah sighed and looked down at his feet, When he look back up our eyes caught and held.  “Because it is who you are, and you’re going to learn quickly that there is a lot of things that you don’t know about yourself. I’m sorry that this is the way you had to find out, and I’m sorry that I don’t have this in depth description on what exactly is going on. Because I am not a shape shifter and honestly I don’t know how you feel right now, but I am working on it. Okay? We’ll work on it together
Tomorrow, I’ll take you to a place that will help you understand  a little better
You’ve had enough for tonight. I’ll walk you back to the party.”

I was absolutely speechless, so speechless that I didn’t even question or yell at him. No words could form how I felt. I didn’t realize how far I had ran until we were walking back. My senses were still intensified, as we got closer I could hear the music blaring and the smell of the food--hamburgers, pickles, hot dogs and my favorite buffalo chicken. My mouth was watering. Surprisingly, I didn’t trip over anything., I was easy on my feet and my sense of direction was pretty good, I didn’t need Noah to help me find my way back after all. Nevertheless, I was still freaking out, maybe not out loud but inside I was shaken, scared. More stuff that I couldn’t understand.
    When we got to the gazebo Noah stopped me, he took me by the shoulders and held my gaze. “If you feel like you’re going to change get as far way from the humans as possible. It’s best you keep this a secret, okay? I’ll see you tomorrow.” He looked so serious that it scared me. However, he was so close to my face that I could feel his warm breath on my face, I took in his scent and the fact that he was shirtless---very distracting. I nodded, and then turned towards the trail. I could feel him watching me, as I hurried back to the tent.

Briley was standing outside, her cell to her ear, she looked worried. When she saw me trying to sneak back into the tent I froze and then straightened out and walked towards her. “Hey, What’s up?” I asked trying to sound normal, as if I wasn’t bothered by something. 

“What’s up?!” she scolded. “Where in the hell have you been? And  what are you wearing? Where is your dress?”

“I needed fresh air--soo I went the gazebo and my dress--it got--caught on a tree branch and ripped--” I sounded pathetic. “And I found this shirt at the gazebo
” I finished and then looked down at my bare feet.

Briley glared at me, speechless. “You’re lying and--”

“Oh good!” Naomi’s voice came from the tent. “You found her! Present time!”

I shot Naomi a thank-you-so-much glance and she ran over to me and looped arms with mine and then frowned as she took one good look at me. “I have shorts and flip flops in my car from sleeping over Leah’s house the other night. I suggest you get some clothes on---” Naomi then said, nearly dragging me to her car.
    While I got changed Naomi tried to get the truth out of me, but I just ignored ant questions leading to hanging out the gazebo. I didn’t fully understand what happened myself, how was I suppose to tell anyone else? Most of all, how would  I say it with out sounding crazy? Well Naomi--I went into the woods and met this strange boy that had saved my life not only once--but twice--and then he made me angry so when I  went to hit him
  I accidentally turned into a wolf! Oops! My bad! But it was no big deal, really, I only ruined my dress
nobody got hurt. I ranted inside my head.

“Hey. What happened to your brace?” Naomi asked.

Confused for a second I blinked at her, and then looked down. I had forgotten all about my ankle, it hasn’t hurt since I transformed. In fact there wasn’t even a bruise. I turned my back to her, and shrugged. “My ankle wasn’t bothering me anymore so I took it off,” I explained.
    “Okay, Everyone is waiting, I’ll be back at the tent.” She sighed,  sounding defeated. Maybe it was because it was obvious that she wasn’t going to get the truth from me. I’ve never been much of a liar, and even if I did  tell her the truth she wouldn’t understand,  I had to keep my mouth shut. So I wouldn’t seem even more insane as I already did.
    The rest of the night was okay, I pounded down two pieces of cake and had a buffalo wing eating contest with one of Briley’s friends from work. Shockingly, I won. Honestly, I think he let me win just because it was my birthday, which didn’t make me feel accomplished at all. I called for a re-match next time he comes over.   Carmen looked at me in disgust and Millie and Lacey were whispering to each other. I didn’t even give them a space in my mind, not that I had much of it left. My thoughts consisted of what had happened earlier, but as the night went on it felt more and more like a dream. It was to out of this world for me to actually believe it to be true. The only thing that kept throwing me off was my memory and my strengthen senses that were still vivid. It was almost as if I was still in wolf-form.
    When I had gotten home, I didn’t even give Briley the time of day to talk to me. I had hurried upstairs to my bed. I didn’t want to think and I could hardly keep my eyes open, but my mind kept slipping to the reflection in the lake, my reflection---or would it be considered my other reflection. Noah’s cold emotionless face when he was answering my questions. He had healed me, which made me feel less insane than before. But Magic, shape shifters anything of that sort...its all fairytales. I cant force myself to believe this is true, no matter how bad I wanted to believe that I wasn’t  some delusional freak. But I saw it with my own eyes
.stop fooling yourself. Tomorrow is a new day, just forget about  everything. Start on a new slate. If Noah shows up, ignore him. Lock yourself in side
hide. I rolled over facing the window now, the full moon was huge. I stared at its until I drifted off into a dead sleep.

Last edited by Feliciamae...wolf (2010-03-28 13:32:33)

#6 2010-03-28 13:45:27

curiousape

is there more?

if you expect something to happen, it will; whether good, bad or judgmental 
but if you hold no expectations, the world opens up with myriad possibility

#7 2010-03-28 13:59:47

Feliciamae...wolf

(yup, its all pre written all the way up to chapter 7 anyway lol .)

Chapter 3
One shot

Dean Martin blared threw the house waking me from my deep sleep. Noah was sitting on the other side of the room humming to That’s Amore. I sat up and  glared furiously at him and then fell backwards, burying my head under my pillow. He sat on the edge of my bed, now singing. so goes for ignoring him.

“Your grandfather has a great collection, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin
Elvis” Noah chuckled, I hit him with my pillow. I hit him about four times before he grabbed the pillow, got up and turned off the music. I stared at him, my hair tangled around my face. This is the first time I’ve seen him not being serious. Before I could ask him why the hell he was in my grandfathers stuff, he had turned to me smiling. “Are you ready for some serious training today?”
    I groaned. “I’m ready to go back to bed, how’d you get my house in the first place?”

“Jade, its not hard to unlock a door when you have magic on your side.” he was serious now, wow that hadn’t last long. “I’ll explain everything once you get up and get dressed, bring an extra set of clothes.”

I glanced at my clock on the cherry-wood night stand beside my bed. 6:47 am, I ran my fingers through my hair and yanked when I’d get stuck in the knots. Huffing, I rolled out of bed and slipped on my black fuzzy slippers and black robe.

“I’m not going anywhere right now. It’s six forty in the morning, who do you think you are coming in here telling me what to do!” I snapped, padding out into the hallway, at the top of the stairs I turned to see if he was following me. No one was there, I padded back to my room to see if he was there but the room was empty.

“Are you coming down stairs or not?”  He called out from what sounded like to be from the bottom of the stairs. I huffed and walked down stairs, he was now standing in the kitchen. I stared at him completely oblivious as to how he did that. Matter-of-factly, I didn’t even care, I ignored him and went to the fridge to get my apple juice and a bagel.

“Teleportation,” He said, “Only simple after you learn how. But it’s the only way to get to threw to the realms.”  He sounded like my math teacher, gag.

Frustrated, I slammed the apple juice carton on the granite top island and glared at him. He just stared at me and for a second I almost got lost in his big puppy brown eyes. When I realized I was about to give in and actually want to learn what he wanted to teach me, I turned and continued to put my bagel in the toaster.

“This isn’t a joke,  Jade, you need to know these things, or you’re not going to make it.” he said.

“What do you mean make it? Make what?” I asked keeping my back to him, my fist were balled up. My blood was boiling once again, but I wasn’t shaking. I took a deep breath trying to avoid shifting.

Noah was at my side now, “I wouldn’t be telling you this stuff if you didn’t need to know it---there’s a lot you need to know about where I’m taking you. A lot of battles.”

I rolled my eyes and then turned to him. “First of all, stop monitoring what you say or don’t say it at all. Second of all, what if I don’t want to know
personally, I don’t want to believe
” I continued

“Give me a chance to prove it to you.” Noah interrupted his accent was growing stronger. His eyes looked intently into mine and I couldn’t hold gaze anymore, I looked down at my feet. His touch radiated threw my body like and electric current, I pulled back, blushing and turning.

“You’ve get one shot.”  I replied although I was sure that all he needed was on shot. It wants that I didn’t believe it is I didn’t want to believe. He nodded.
    I ate breakfast  in silence and tried to avoid meeting Noah’s eyes as much as possible. He was so confident about proving to me that all this was real. Quite frankly, I wasn’t looking forward to going anywhere with him. I was still tired and I wanted so badly to feel normal and sane again, I didn’t only want it, I longed for it, I needed it. I wasn’t the normal “human” Jade Porter anymore, I was an animal--a monster.

ÔÓÔÓÔÓ

The dark clouds rumbled warning us to go back inside, but if course Noah continued to lead me into the woods. He was quite and concentrated on the invisible path that he had mapped out in his head. I followed hesitatingly questioning myself whether I should really be following a complete stranger. I mean, what if he is crazy and its all just rubbing off on me. Maybe he is making me believe that I’m a werewolf or shape shifter or whatever, forcing me into some crazy world of his own and I’m just to blind to realize it.   
    The woods seemed full of life this morning and the aroma was earthy, of course, but it was a wonderful unusual smell. I didn’t feel uncomfortable here, but I didn’t feel exactly at ease. I liked being here, perhaps I need to go hiking more often. I didn’t realize Noah had stopped until I had ran into him, he caught my arm when I backed  up almost tripping over a fallen tree. It was when I looked up that I realized the old condemned brick building. I walked closer, walking up the wide, steep stairwell of the building. When I had gotten to the doorway, I placed my hand on the threshold where door hinges had once been, I close my eyes

The sunlight beamed through the orange and red leaves of the forest. I sat underneath an old willow tree, that sat beautifully beside a stone well.

“Jade!” a young voice said, I looked up to see her pale green eyes looking up at me. Her gapped tooth smile was wide and her chestnut brown hair was in two braids.  She looked extremely familiar. “Follow me!” She said motioning for me to get up. Absent-mindedly, I got up and followed the little girl out from beneath the willow tree. The fall air bit at my nose and ears, I shivered. The little girl grabbed onto my arm and pulled me, I tugged away and she didn’t seem to mind, in fact she acted as if I hadn’t done it at all.  “Look! Over here!” Her excited voice pierced through the air. She was hopping up and down at the threshold of a old brick building.  “Jade! Get away from there right now!” A yell pierced frantically through the air. I turned to see a woman running past me and to the little girl standing confused in the doorway. The woman’s blonde wavy hair fell to her lower back, and her emerald green eyes stared worriedly at the little girl. Her lavender sent reminded me of someone
 “Mom,” I whispered, a tear fell warmly down my cheek.  The woman returned to me as the little girl faded, the little girl was me
.“Jade, are you ready?” She put her hand on my shoulder, looking worriedly at me. “don’t
” she began.

“Worry
everything is going to be just fine.” Noah’s voice broke threw my moms. I opened my eyes to see those big brown eyes staring back at me, his hand on my shoulder and began to wipe the tears that were still rolling warmly down my cheeks, I sniffled and turned away.

“I’m fine,” I muttered, “Lets go.”

Noah stepped into the abandon building and I followed behind him. “This was a school once.” His voice echoed threw the building. “I plan to rebuild it some day--make it a home. No one ever uses this as a transport now, not since Eliser had opened up. The school was diminished in the sixteen-hundreds, by humans. After all protection barriers were cut down thanks to Lucinda and her clan. A shame really.” He went on as we walked up the grand stair case. The windows were all smashed in, old curtains were charred as if they’ve been burnt. The whole place in general gave a dreary aura, I didn’t like it one bit.
    When we got to the top of the third stair case, there were no walls. This cant be safe, I thought cautiously following Noah. He walked threw it as if the floor wasn’t about to cave in any minute, which it surely looked like it was. I had nearly fallen in a hole. What was the point of fixing this place up? It’s take years and tons of money. I mean, yeah its pretty if you like the whole medieval thing. It was then we had gotten to a hallway, at least it had walls, however I wish I could say the same about the roof. At the end of the hall was a big thick wooden door, looking up through the ceiling I could tell I’d be climbing more stairs,  the tower stood tall and round and at the top was a semi-circle window. I huffed and rolled my eyes. A smirk stretched at the corner of Noah’s lips.
     “Don’t worry. We wont be climbing any more stairs today.”

“What do you mean? look at the tower
” I began, but when Noah had opened the door I saw nothing but blackness. When I looked up all I could see is one small light coming from the window that I had seen looking up from the ceiling of the hall. I glanced back at Noah who looked down into the blackness, he nodded when he realized I was giving him one of those are-you-serious-looks, “Whoa! no, no, no,  absolutely not. Lets go back
” I began, turning back, but he grabbed me around the waist, and threw me face first into the black hole.
    Screaming to the top of my lunges I plummeted  further and further into the darkness. The speed felt as if it was crushing my chest and I was pretty sure I couldn’t breath. At first I thought it would never end, there was no way I could scream anymore because I was short of breath. So I waited  quietly to hit the bottom of the black hole, waited for the big crash that would end my life. My heart beating fast against my chest, I covered my head hoping it’d give me some sort of protection. But when I opened my eyes I realized that there was a light at the end of the tunnel, not ahead of me, but beneath me. Suddenly I slowed down and I was more likely floating down to the light, until I was standing before a wooden door. I looked up to see nothing but blackness.

“Move!” Noah’s voice broke in, instantly I opened the door and jumped out of the small closet-like room. He landed in a crouch like position, like a cat, with one hand catching the ground. I looked up at the huge tree, it was colossal, the biggest tree I have ever seen in my entire seventeen years I have been living. The door was small human-sized door, but it looked old, covered in moss. Noah ran his hand over the white knob and the door sunk into the tree, it was almost as if the tree absorbed it. When the door was completely gone, Noah had must’ve realized the panic growing on my face because he smiled unconcerned.

“There are other ways to get back,” He chuckled. “Are you a believer now?” He shoved his hands in the pockets of his blue jeans. I nodded, staggered. I dropped my back pack, and walked over to the tree. I ran my hand along where door used to be, nothing, it was really gone.   

“Noah Zander Scott!” a voice came from the other end of the tree, I jumped and again a smile stretched up Noah’s face, his dimples-deepened. He patted my shoulder assuring me that it was okay.

“Grant! You know better than to go sneaking up on people!” Noah chuckled, starting towards the old man that was nearly stumbling towards us. He was round and he reminded me of a toad, but he had a nice warm smile, like my grandfathers smile. Although Grants smile revealed yellow teeth, he still managed to make it kind and bearable. He had white hair to his shoulders and he was short.  Grant made his way over to us, using a carved walking stick. “You must be Jadacelia Moonlit Night, a mouthful your name is,” He laughed taking my hand and pressing his thin lips to the back of my hand, like they used to centuries ago, I struggled not to pull away.

“They call her by the name Jade Porter,”  Noah corrected kindly.
    I just stared down at my feet, there is no way that, that is my real name, and if so
well that is just so embarrassing. And if my last name isn’t really Porter. Does that mean I’m adopted? No, because I look exactly like my mother. And Seamus Porter has got to be my dad
my mom would tell me if he wasn’t my biological father
right? 

Grant frowned, “I see, it’s a shame.”

When I opened my mouth to differ he turned and faced Noah. “So, what are we going to do? We cant take her to Augustix yet, Who knows where that old witch is. The woods are not safe because if the child’s f
.” He began.

“I’ve got it covered ,Grant.” Noah interrupted rubbing the back of his neck still looking up  at Grant. “I’d like to train her on my own, so if you’d please excuse us.”

Grant frowned for a minute and then forced a smile on his face, “Very well then, I best be going. Nice meeting you Jadacelia Moonlit Night.”  he said sounding disappointed. Shaking my hand. I really wish he’d stop calling me by that name.

“Nice meeting you too, Grant.” I replied kindly, biting my tongue.

“You’ll be a good witch, I assure you.”  Grant added.

Noah slapped his own face and dragged it until his hand slipped off his chin, he seemed frustrated as if Grant just messed up a master plan of his. I glanced back and forth at them.
“So what have you told her, Noah Zander
.”  Grant began, but again Noah interrupted.

“I want to take it slow, I don’t want to rush. She needs to take this in one at a time.” Noah defended himself.

“I can handle it.” I replied stepping toward him, I tried to look earnest. “I mean, if I can handle being a Shape shifter, I can handle anything else.”

“No. you think you can handle it.” Noah disagreed.

“Noah, what did I tell you back at my house?” I got closer to him until we were face to face, my blood began to boil. My fist were clenched and this time I was shaking. He had caused me so much anger, I was bottling way to much. “Did I or did I not,  tell you to stop monitoring what you say
well here is your chance to tell me everything.”

“You’re contradicting yourself, you also said you didn’t want to know.”  Noah snapped.

That was it, he was in for it. My fist began tingling and that’s when I knew I was going to change, this time being aware, it almost hurt. Grant jumped out in front of Noah and held out his hand, I growled as I lunged at the two angrily and absent-mindedly. But when I got within two feet of the two, a white force sent me backwards into the air. I yelped when I hit the hard ground, and instantly I was back on my feet. Growling, back in attack stance. I started towards them, but something jumped on me sending me on my back once again, a sharp pain shot threw my neck and I was pinned, at least until I twisted around and pinned the other---wolf.

You seemed shocked. You’ve never seen another wolf before, child?  Her voice burst threw my mind. I don’t know how I knew it was her speaking to me to me, I just did. I growled at her warning her not get smart with me, she snapped at me a couple of times, however, she could not break from my grip. I took a swift bite of her shoulder, she yelped. Suddenly, I was knocked off the wolf and was rammed into one of the colossal trees, bark flew everywhere, luckily the moss softened my landing. I was back on my feet in a blink of an eye, still in attack mode.

Don’t you touch her. a big burly black wolf snarled as we circled each other, baring teeth and letting out low growls. He lunged first, he was strong and fast, his bites were not just nips, every time his sharp teeth would sink into my flesh, he would  pull, making my fast healing wounds, bigger in width and depth. I didn’t give up, in fact when ever I got the chance I tore at him right back, I pulled as hard as I could without realizing it, I took off a piece of his ear. We tumbled down a hill and further into the forest, still fighting, until I was pinned. I fought to get loose, snapping and growling I batted at him, but it didn’t affect the big black wolf one bit.

Ivrit get off her, This voice was bolder, he was an Alfa, I knew because Ivrit obeyed immediately. I got back on all fours, growling at all three of them,
four of them
six of them
oh shite. Eight big wolves circled me, I backed up into a bolder. I sat down still trying not to give into them. If I was going down, I was going down strong. I stuck my nose up in the air.

She’s not from here is she, Julian? The girl wolf from earlier asked, to the assumed to be Alfa. She was at his side now, her white fur had some gray mixed in, she reminded me of a husky.
    No. Julian hesitated his blue eyes were almost silver when the sun light hit them, his fur was a light brown with a red tint. Like mine. You’re name?

Like I’d tell you, I snapped glaring at him.

Don’t get fresh, Ivrit growled steeping forward, I backed up barring my teeth as I let out a low growl.

Ivrit! Julian snarled, even making me jump. Your name. He repeated.
I think you know her name, Julian. The white wolf said

Don’t make me confront your friends because I assure you it wont end pretty. Julian said ignoring her.

Is that a threat? I growled, trying to look as mean as possible. I wasn’t sure how that was working out.

Very well then, Ivrit , Marco
He began

Okay! Its Jade! I replied frantically Sheesh! And I thought I had a temper.

There was a quick moment of silence before Julian turned around and took off. He ordered the others to fallow, all but one listened. The white wolf stepped forward.

You’re no longer welcome here, She said coldly.

Tatiana! Someone called out, she responded with a quick glance back. go back where you came from
 mutt. Tatiana turned around and took off. I froze, I didn’t understand, what had I done wrong? That’s all I did was protect myself
and its not like I hurt anyone.
    I stood there for a little while until I decided to turn around and search for Noah and Grant.

Last edited by Feliciamae...wolf (2010-03-28 14:34:12)

#8 2010-03-31 16:21:27

Feliciamae...wolf

Chapter 4
Maxine’s Boutique

Noah and Grant were sitting on a log bickering about something, but as soon as they realized that I was back they shut up. Noah handed me my backpack and refused to meet my eyes. I took the bag in my mouth and kind of just stared at him. He couldn’t honestly expect me change in these woods, with all these random people showing up. As if he could read my mind (which I  debated with myself whether he could or not) He said,

“Follow me.”

Reluctantly, I followed him. I wasn’t only reluctant to change in the woods, but I really didn’t want to apologize to him about--well--almost killing him. Noah should know better than to piss me off like he did, he should know as my guardian or whatever that I’m not in control of when I change. He just so happens to hit a nerve in me and I explode. But, I knew I had to apologize, now would not be the time to be fighting, especially considering that my only way back was in his knowledge, I, being absolutely clueless about this place.
    The tree stood tall and beneath it was a huge arched doorway, around it was designs carved in. I ran my hands across the wooden swirls, and stopped at the very top. The face of a wolf was carved in, it was howling.

“It once belonged to the wolves, They were chased out by Lucinda and her followers. Its rare that you see the wolves this close, they must have sensed you here.” Noah’s voiced echoed as he stepped into the darkness.  He put his hands together as if he was trapping a bug inside it. “Lahgih,”  a glow came between his hands he slowly opened it and there floating above his palm was a small ball of  a  light.  He pushed it up and it flew up above his head, lighting up the whole inside of the tree. Noah stepped out and stretched out his arm, in a gentleman like manner. I gave him a odd look and then stepped in around the corner.
It took me a few moments to change back, but it didn’t take as much concentration as it did the first time. When I was in human form, I got dressed and stood at the threshold of the big tree. I crossed my arms and leaned up against it.

“So, you know these woods well.” I stated.

Noah was sitting on a rotted log that might have been a bench at one point, I realized this by the two others that formed into a square around a old fire pit. Noah didn’t turn around. “I spent a lot of my time here, yes.” he answered. “I grew quite curious as to if there was no end point to this place.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Well they definitely don’t call it the Fathomless Forest for nothing. Its both Mystifying and immeasurably deep. No one has found their way out the other side.” Noah said.  “But no matter, We have to into Augustix. Its not to far from here.”

Noah took one quick glance at me and then sighed, “We have so much work to do. For one, those clothes are absolutely unacceptable.”

My mouth popped open in disbelief, “What’s wrong?”  I took a look at my blue Capri’s and  my tank. I’m mean yeah, I look a little laid back than usual but he understood why.

“Nothing, it’s just in Augustix women don’t dress like men.” He went on. “I mean, where you come from its okay
but here
”

Insulted, I crossed my arms, “And how do you suppose I dress?”

He smirked, “You’ll see.”

ÔÓÔÓÔÓ

As soon as we crossed brick bridge that separated Augustix and the Fathomless Forest I wanted to turn around and run. Unfortunate for my part, Grant was leading the way and Noah was behind me. I had an odd feeling he knew I would want to scurry, and he had warned me only ten minutes ago that if I were to change in Augustix to be prepared to face the courts, which he also said wouldn’t be pretty, I took his word for it.

“Welcome to Augustix,” Grant said, as we stepped of the bridge.

It was as if I was stepping into a whole other era. The 1800’s for sure. I bit my tongue on whatever comment I had to say, which all of them were everything but nice. Dresses, gag me. I huffed and let our a low grunt at the bottom of my throat. Noah patted my shoulder or maybe he was giving me a little push forward when he realized I was slowing, a smile stretching up his face. I didn’t find it funny at all.
    The roads were cobble stone and the buildings across the bridge had a gothic look to it. A horse and buggy stopped directly in front of us as if it has been expecting us. I gave Noah a questioning look, a smile still stretched across his face. Grant had got in first and then me, Noah closed the buggy door behind him. The buggy was black, red and gold. The velvet seating were red, the foundation was black and any outlining was gold. It was beautiful I had to admit, it was where we were going that I was not to thrilled about.
    A woman sat across from me, she had dark curly hair and dark blue eyes. She wore a dark blue dress, that made her eye color pop.  The dress was long and had a lot of ruffles on, it looked so uncomfortable.

“Maxine,” Noah said, “This is Jadacelia.”

Maxine’s eyes slowly moved from the window to me. She looked me up and down and then scowled. I opened my mouth to say something but Noah gave me a quick warning glance. I slouched in my seat and stared out the window.

“A pleasure to meet you, I suppose.” Maxine sighed, as if she wasn’t really pleased to see me at all. Her voice was bell-like and gentle, but she had a unmannerly tone. “This will be a lot of work, gentleman. I hope you know that I am paid by the hour.”

“Money is not an issue, I assure you.” Noah said, that accent coming back.

They all made conversation while remained in the corner of the buggy staring out at the gothic styled buildings. The roads grew smaller and the air got thicker, and as went further and further, it got darker. I was almost as if the sun was getting smaller and smaller, until the sky was dark and that’s all there was left was a small ball of light. Noah, Grant and Maxine seemed to also be looking up at the disappearing son, all frowning. The roads were getting smaller and the buildings were getting bigger. The side walks were nearly vacant.

“This such a lively place, once.” Maxine sounded sad. “Wise choice your mother made, moving away from here.”

“Well, why don’t you move too?” I asked, a little more blunt than I intended. Maxine scowled at me again, she glared at me as if I was the stupidest person alive.

“Don’t be absurd!” She snapped.

Noah grabbed my wrist and lightly squeezed, I pinched him, this time giving him the warning glance. Why should I be sitting here with someone who doesn’t have enough common courtesy to at least treat me with some sort of respect. Why did she hate me so much? It was then that we came to a quick stop, the door swung open on its own. Outside was a store front, with a blue chipped window pane. On the sign it said, Maxine’s Boutique. 
    Grant got out first and then Noah. Standing up before her, Maxine nearly trampled me, I slipped and fell back onto the seat, It was then I attempted to put my foot out to trip her but she stepped over my ankle, giving me a cold stare. Her hair was pulled into a chignon, with loose curls falling out of it and the back of her dress was long and ruffled. I got up and stepped on her ruffles, just as she stepping out. Maxine stumbled forward I covered my mouth hiding a laugh, I tried very hard to make it look like an accident, gasping I reached out grab her arm. Noah grabbed her other arm so when she hit the ground she was uneven, she got up and tugged away from the both of us. “You..” she went on muttering under her breath  as she started up the cement steps to the store front. I hopped out of the buggy and started towards the store front, but Noah stopped me.

“That was not okay,” he scolded me. “Maxine may not be nicest person, but you don’t
”

“You heard her! She didn’t like me from the moment I stepped  into that damn buggy.” I snapped, “She started it!”

“You sound so childish.”  Noah said, “Next time, there will be consciences.”

“What are you going to do, ground me?” I replied and stalked off into the store.

The shop was warm and cozy. A old sewing machine was going by itself, scissors, needles and thread were floating across the room. I stared kind of freaked out, “Jadacelia, stop standing there like and imbecile and get in here.” Maxine’s voice pierced my ears.

Hesitantly, I tried my best to stay away form the moving objects and hurried to the back room. Maxine was sitting there with a pile of gowns and other things that have never seen before in my life.

“I suppose we could start with your daytime gowns,” She said throwing three different gowns at me. They all had high neck-lines, v-shaped or square. They also had long sleeves that would flare out down by my wrist and then some apron looking thing, that Maxine called an overskirt. The  pink daytime gown with white trimming was so ornately draped that I needed a bustle to hold it in place.
    Next was the evening gown, which had a low neck line and small off-the-shoulder sleeves. She handed me a couple sets of gloves also. By the time we got threw Tea gowns and Leisure gowns, I was ready to choke myself.  However, it wasn’t the dresses themselves that were nearly killing me, it was the corset.  As Maxine began tying it up I gasped for air, and I could have sworn that I heard my ribs cracking.
    “Stop you’re acting like a big baby!” Maxine hollered as I swatted at her.

“I cant breathe in this thing! Untie it now!” I reached as far as I could trying to untie it on my own, but she hadn’t fully finished tying it so I couldn’t reach. I tripped over the hem of my dress and fell flat on my face. Maxine let out a loud, obnoxious laugh.

A knock came from the door, “Is everything okay in there?” Noah asked.

“Yes, everything is fine.” Maxine giggled.

She loosened the corset and moved onto my hair. Maxine had pulled it up into a Victorian Tri-Braid, which I had to admit looked, amazing. Maxine  left a wavy tail out that she slung over my shoulder and a few strands in front of each ear. She then  light powered my face, which caused me to sneeze multiple times.

I stared at myself in the mirror. I looked good, but I felt like I was going to burst out of this dress any second. What if I changed in the corset? The thought made my ribs hurt more than they already did. Maxine huffed and put her hands on her hips as if she had just solved a hard puzzle.

“We’re finished, please do come in.” Maxine then said.

I got up and attempted to hide. I felt like I was ready to go to a tea party for five year olds. But it was to late, Noah had swung open the door. Heat stretched up my cheeks and I could swear my ears were turning a tomato red. I looked down at the gold and off white dress, and then back at Noah who was nodding.  He was wearing black trousers, a white cotton shirt with a deep red silk vest. I couldn’t keep eyes off of him.

“It looks good,” He said.

“Uh
thanks.” I muttered, refusing to meet his eyes.

“Are we ready?” Grant appeared around the corner, no longer holding a old  wooden stick, but now  a newly polished walking stick.

“Ready for what?” I asked slightly confused.

“You’re welcoming, of course,” Grant replied, as if I was suppose to know about this. “We had just discovered the news.”

Noah sighed, “And I suppose training can be put off for a little bit longer.”

“Well
what if I don’t want to go?” I replied, sitting on floral patterned couch in the corner of the room.

“Don’t be modest! It’s your welcoming. If anything, you should feel honored.” Maxine said, elegantly walking across the room. “I have the perfect ball gown,”  She smiled at me, I replied with a fake nervous smile, while giving Noah a I’m-going-to-kill-you look.

He left, leaving me with my worst nightmare. Maxine’s smile dropped and her eyes narrowed, as she held up the deep royal red dress.

#9 2010-04-01 01:00:52

SilentStrider

I'll post later tonight, after I get some cleaning done, and I'll give you some constructive feedback as long as you're open to it.  I also have to read your most recent post too before I write. smile

#10 2010-04-01 20:09:32

Feliciamae...wolf

Okay. Any kind of feedback is good to me, lol i like listening your opinions. smile

#11 2010-04-02 04:42:25

SilentStrider

This is what I have for your chapter 2 post:

The transition from the party to the gazebo was too abrupt

After Jades initial transformation you remarked on how her senses were so much more keen.  Here would be a great spot for you to include a scent description of Noah.

I think the party in the beginning could warrant a bit more detail, for example later in that chapter you said she was wearing a red dress.  It would’ve fit better if  you described her wearing that earlier on in that chapter.

If all she was wearing was a shirt wouldn’t she feel self conscious about not wearing anything on her lower half, even if the shirt was long enough to cover her I would imagine not having on any under garments would be a prominent thought.  That would be one of my major concern if I were in that situation, and since your point of view is mainly first person it might do well to add some of her feelings on that

At  some point are  you going to explain why her father went crazy and tried to kill her whole family, and how did her dad get injured too?

I especially like how you narrated her thoughts in the second to last paragraph.  It summed up the rest of the night, and reflected her personality well.

This is what I have for you after reading chapter 3:

I was a bit confused when I was reading the part with Jade falling down the hole.  If I read it correctly this hole of darkness is beneath a trapdoor on the 3rd floor of this building?  It’s fine if you want it that way, but perhaps adding a little something more to the description or to Jades astonished thought to reflect the oddity of a black hole on the third floor that didn’t show any of the other floors below them.

A little more description for your environments would be good.  For example after Jade and Noah stepped out of the door  (portal) that was part of the tree I found myself wishing to know more about the surrounding area that Jade could see.  Was she standing in a forest, grassy plain, or a swamp.  If you could, imagine yourself suddenly thrown into a completely other strange (maybe even alien-like) place.  I’m sure your senses would be fully open and on high alert, and you’d be taking in everything around you.

When Grant departed you described Noah as looking up at him.  I’m not sure if you ever established a height reference with Noah yet, but I rather envisioned him as a mature man perhaps 21, and Grants description was referred to as old and toad like which may also include hunching over while standing.  It may not have been your intent but in my imagination I felt like Grant should have been shorter than Noah.

When you introduce your other werewolf characters, and they’re communicating to each other, you stopped using quotation marks.  How come?  I imagine you may not have wanted to because you wanted to convey that they were thinking their words as opposed to vocalizing them.  If that’s the case then I would suggest that you keep using quotation marks, but make the words within them in italics, otherwise it gets confusing trying to figure out what's being said and what isn't.

When Jade was being faced with overwhelming odds and surrounded by eight other wolves you had her stick her nose up in defiance and with the attitude of not going down without a fight.  I think her body language would be better portrayed if you had Jade (who is still in her wolf form at this point) lower her wolf head, hackles (hair on back) rising, and growling.  The way you had Jade with her nose raised would show defiance and that she was ignoring or didn’t care about the other wolves around her.  This pose seemed to me to be out of place considering the danger she was in and how she was under attack.  A wolf would want to keep themselves lower to the ground to protect their belly and neck.

There were a couple of misspelled words that I’m not sure spellcheck would’ve caught; lungs instead of lunges, boulder instead of bolder, follow instead of fallow, through instead of threw, there were a few others, but I hate being too nit-picky unless you want me to be.  As it is I feel like I might be saying more than you want to hear.  If so please let me know.  I hope you don't think I'm being harsh.  I’m just exercising my own writing abilities and hoping to share some of that with you.

Oh yea one more tip that I think all writers should know and use is when you proof read your work before posting, make sure you read it aloud so what you hear matches up to what you see.  It helps you to see the little mistakes that you would otherwise breeze over with your eyes, and gives you a feel for the flow of the words and where you might need to add more or take away from.

Keep on writing!  I like your story so far, and I'm curious where your going to take us

I'll be reading your chapter 4 tomorrow and I'll post some more comments too, as long as you're okay with it.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-04-02 04:47:35)

#12 2010-04-02 17:31:19

Feliciamae...wolf

Thank you for editing my story. I dont mind at all that your nit-picking, i had just started growing an interest in writing when i was twelve, however, i moved alot and i was slightly careless about school, ever since freshmen year is when i  began to realize how much  knowledge between grammar and such i lack. But your comments are away of teaching me how to be a better writer, so thank you very much.

As for the werewolf talking thing, They are in italics on Microsoft and because im new to the website i have yet to figure out how to fix it when i post.
For the father going crazy part---it explains it further into the story. It involves Lucinda, (all im giving to you lol)
From what im reading you want more discription, i will most deff. work on that,  but like i said, this all just a rough draft, i havent read through yet, and i dont have much time to because i have five other people living in my house, and writing itself is time consuming.  But i just got a lap-top so now i have no excuse. :p lol
Oh! and the Shirt thing, party, wolf gang  and Grant thing your are all right about, i will deff. go back and fix those.

But again, thank you, and i'd love to hear more from you. smile

Last edited by Feliciamae...wolf (2010-04-02 17:32:19)

#13 2010-04-02 17:33:37

Feliciamae...wolf

Oh! and i must ask you something...are you an english teacher or English Major?
Its just, you sound exactly like my teacher. Lmao! Thats a good thing though.

Last edited by Feliciamae...wolf (2010-04-02 17:34:18)

#14 2010-04-03 01:31:37

SilentStrider

There’s a few misspelled words like son should be sun, consciences should probably be consequences, voiced should be voice.  I don’t mind pointing them all out to you but I think you would benefit more from it if you try proofreading out loud.  The more you practice this the more you’ll see your writing improve and the less mistakes you’ll make

I love how you describe the dress scene, it’s funny, and it has the potential to be an even more amusing scene if you’re willing to spend a bit more time on it.  Also I really like the unusual boutique of Maxine’s.  I’m a big fan of fantasy and whenever I read a scene displaying magical affects such as that I find it interesting and captivating.

I would recommend spending a bit more time on some of the details and description of things.  This may seem to be more tedious than you’d like and slow your writing pace down undesirably, but in the end I think it’ll make your scenes flow better and be less confusing to the reader.

I’m not sure if this is relevant to you or not, but when I write I have a horrible time of keeping up with my imagination.  I can never seem to write fast enough to get what I’m thinking all down on paper (or the computer screen) before my mind is already working on the next scene.  If you’ve read anything about me at the Werewolf CafĂ© then you may already know that I’m working on writing my first novel and my imagination has gotten so far ahead that I already have a rough outline for two more stories after the one I’m writing.  If you feel like you have similar issues I can give you some tips on how to deal with this.

Overall I’d say you have an interesting story line that you’re building up here, and I would definitely like to continue reading it.  I’m very curious to see where you take us in this tale and I’m eager to find out, so I encourage you to please continue. J

#15 2010-04-03 06:12:40

SilentStrider

My above post I typed up while I was at work so there was nothing in it in response to your most recent two post.  I'm adding this one to comment on what was in those.

I'm glad you appreciate my advice.  I know that some people can be ultra-sensitive to what others have to say/write, and sometimes the written word doesn't necessarily express ourselves the way we wish to be seen, so I try to proceed cautiously.  If you don't mind my asking you, how old are you?  Of course you don't have to answer that if you don't want to, but just so you know where I'm coming from with that question it helps me to understand you better and gives me a reference for the degree of experience you have to call upon.

In regard to grammar and spelling, don't worry too much about it at this point.  The most important part for you is to develop your story as you find the time.  I'll steal a line from Grayle (a phenomenal writer here at the cafe) since it's appropriate here, "Story is king." The detail of your plot and storyline is one of the most important and essential elements to a great writer, everything else will fall into place as you go.

If you want to show italics in your writing , click on the "BBCode" in orange near the bottom of this screen.  You'll find it just below the quick post box.  When you click on it, it will take you to another section of the cafe with instructions on how to add a bit of easy to use coding in your message to achieve your desired result.  It took me a long time to discover this too, until I eventually figured it out.  I even asked several times, but never got an answer, so I'm glad I can assist you in this.

Trust me I know how time-consuming writing can be and I can appreciate your struggle to try and find the time to commit to it.  It's a constant obstacle that I face as well.  In our modern day world filled with so many distractions it takes a special kind of person with a passion to write.  The fact that you have gotten this far admirably reflects that devotion.

I couldn't help but to smile at your last post asking me if I was an English major or teacher, and to answer it quite simply I'm neither of those things.  In high school English was never one of my strong subjects and I easily got bored in those classes.  I'm 35 and my high school years are half a life time away for me.  Even though I wasn't great at English I still loved to read, and every now and then attempted to try and write one epic tale or another concerning a werewolf as my main character.  I recall those years in fondness. 

I later went to college for a degree in computer science but only did a year and a half, never even getting my associates.  Maybe one day I'll go back to hitting the books just so I can say "Hey, I did it!" But, that would be a luxury, and besides I mostly consider college degrees to be over-rated anyways.  Some people agree and some don't, but that's just my opinion and I intend no offense.

I'm actually rather flattered by your question, and I consider it very complimentary, especially considering my earlier background in English.  I think over the years I've managed to improve upon my skill through a lot, a lot, a lot of reading, and a love for roleplaying D&D which helped me tremendously with character creation, plot developments, world building, and overall the art of story telling.  Currently I find the time that I spend on the Werewolf Cafe to be my next great stepping stone to becoming a better writer as I read what others post and continue to contribute my own story among everyone else.

I apologize if I get too wordy with my posts and they tend to be too long.  I admit it's a habit I have, but what can I say... I love to write, LOL.

Anyways, keep on writing.  I'm enjoying your story and I think you've got talent smile

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-04-03 06:19:46)

#16 2010-04-03 11:22:32

Feliciamae...wolf

Your very welcome. lol
And to your question about my age: I am 17 going to be 18 on the 17th of April, However because i stayed back in Kindergarden(which i know doesnt really make since) i am in the 11th grade.
I was in 9th grade when i actaully started to read books, before that you would even see me pick up one unless it involve game puzzles or pictures...now i have to read because every trimester i have to have at least 600 pages in for a B in English.

And thank you for your advice and  the help with the italics ill be using them ALOT lol

Last edited by Feliciamae...wolf (2010-04-03 11:31:22)

#17 2010-04-04 01:59:41

SilentStrider

I'll be sure to wish you a happy birthday when that date arrives, and since you told me... my birthday is on June 21st, the summer equinox, and the longest day of the year, lol.

For what it's worth I too got left back a grade when I was in elementary school.  It happened to me in first grade and I took it rather hard.  The few friends that I had made moved on without me, and I felt like I wasn't smart enough.  Then in my senior year of high school I was told in order for me to graduate I required a couple of extra courses and I wouldn't have any time to take a lunch.  That pi$$ed me off, because the year before when the guidance counselors went over my curriculum with me they never mentioned to me that there was going to be a problem, so I asked what would happen if I kept my lunch period and didn't have the one or two extra credits I needed to graduate.  I shocked everyone when I elected to stay an extra year.  I wasn't really friends with anyone from my senior class, so not graduating with them didn't bother me, and I wound up being able to take some college credit courses essentially for free.  All in all I'd say it worked out for me getting to be a senior twice.

Like you I also love to read books.  I'll never forget when I was eight years old and I read all five books to the Black Cauldron series.  Each book was more than 300 pages if I remember correctly, and to this day I still think of it as a rather impressive and personal accomplishment.

While we're on the topic of books (and I'm sure you've heard before how the more you read the better you'll become as a writer) one of my favorite on going series to read is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.  Basically it's about a wizard detective in our modern day world, and it's a fantastic series going on nine or ten books now... I forget exactly, I'll have to check to be sure.  I mention this title because it's entirely written in first person perspective, much the same way you are developing your story, and If ever you desire to read an astounding series this would be a great book for you learn from.  I feel as though most stories aren't written in this format so it may be hard to find good examples to go by.  If you do check it out, and I hope you do, I'm sure you'll appreciate it profoundly.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-04-04 02:02:39)

#18 2010-04-06 12:43:47

Feliciamae...wolf

The Dresden Files series sounds oddly familiar to me, but  im 100 %  sure i havent read them before. I'll be sure to look  into them though, right now i am reading two other books that  i have to finish before i get anymore. lol i dont want to jump ahead of myself.

I dont find birthdays that great anymore, theres no more excitement i used to have. Now thats all i ask for is a trip to Olive garden and 200$ for some new clothes and books, and then im satisfied. For my sixteenth birthday everyone was like..."you dont want a sweet sixteen party?!" (which my mom offered to pay for) but i told her thats all i wanted was a sleepover dinner and shopping night with a couple of my bestfriends. And now for my eighteenth im just happy for the little bit of freedom i get. lmao! despite house rules....

#19 2010-04-06 23:46:50

SilentStrider

The Dresden Files was also a TV series that was on the scifi channel for a short time, but the eventually ended it without completing it, claiming that it wasn't making sufficient ratings to continue supporting the show.  Personally I felt that their reason was bull, but I don't know everything behind their motivation for doing so.  Shortly after that I saw someone reading book 7 of the series and was shocked and elated to see that the books existed and that it was an ongoing.  I immediately sank my teeth into it and I was instantly made a fan of Jim Butcher.  I wouldn’t normally do this but something has moved me to want to send you the first book of the series to you as a birthday gift, as long as you don’t mind.  Of course I would need a mailing address and if you’re so inclined you can email it to me at vaeraun@aol.com, but absolutely don’t post it here.  In fact don’t even give it to me if you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable about it.  I only thought about this idea as a sincere gesture of kindness, and it was rather spontaneous.  Perhaps just the thought is enough.

I’m kind of in agreement with you too about birthdays.  Well, mine in particular.  I don’t like making a big deal about it, and the only gift that I’m interested in these days is time.  My ideal gift would be for me to remain locked up in my room with my computer trying to make as much progress as possible on my story.  All I would need would be just a little bit of food and a big thermos of coffee (and probably some bathroom breaks, because too much coffee makes me have to pee a lot, lol).

Of course I still have to make my daughter and my wife’s birthday an important  event just to let them know that I do care about them.  I guess they feel like it’s a necessity for them to return the sentiment.  It’s probably also important that I let my daughter do so since she’s only seven, and it’s a proper thing for her to learn.  Personally I think your idea for your 16th birthday was an awesome one.  As a kid or a teenager who wouldn’t want a sleep over with their friends.  If it was me at that time I would’ve been pulling an all night D&D gaming session with my friends keeping ourselves awake drinking Mountain Dew or Jolt, haha.  Those times were fun.

Looking back at all that I have posted, I feel guilty for bogging down your thread with my comments since they don’t seem be story related at this point.  Perhaps you could start your own thread in the personal forums, and we can continue our discussion there if you’d like

#20 2010-04-07 18:28:32

Feliciamae...wolf

First off, i'd like to thank you for offering to send the first book of the serires to me, however, i of course had to discuss it with my mother first considering that it is mainly her adress, not so much as mine, and she said no. But still, thank you very much.
and i dont mind writing it in here, although, if you'd rather put it personal forums then, just let me know. smile

#21 2010-04-09 17:52:50

Feliciamae...wolf

Chapter 5
Augustix Welcoming Disaster
    My heart was pounding against my chest as the carriage strolled in the darkness of Augustix.  This place is so odd, I thought. I tried to think about everything and anything but the ball, I didn’t know these people and I surely wasn’t ready to get to know them, I’m still trying to figure this place out. Noah looked almost just as nervous as I was, it was kind of cute. Our cloths matched, which made me feel like we were two little kids being forced to wear the same thing for a family photo or something. I had a black hooded cape on, the inside of the hood was red silk.

Maxine sat happily next to him, this was the happiest I’ve seen her all night
day, whatever it was. Her dark blue eyes brightened as she impatiently stared out the window. Grant threw glances at me, his old tired eyes had something fearful in them. Him and Noah exchanged multiple glances. Was I that embarrassing to be around?
I looked up at what was supposed to be the sun, it was as if it had  a big piece of gray glass over it. We passed buildings upon buildings, until we hit a dirt driveway. I stuck my head out the open window. The castle stood tall and dark looking, I was waiting for a strike of lightening in the background. Shockingly, I wasn’t freaked out by its eerie look.  It had that I-think-I’ve-been-here-before feel to it.

“Welcome home,” Maxine’s voice came from behind me in a sing-song voice. I jumped and hit my head.

“What!?”

“Max..” Noah began, I felt bad for him. Everyone including I, was walking all over him today. Rubbing my head frowning, I gave a questioning look.

“You come from old money here and great power. Wait until you meet your roommates.” She reminded me of Cruella de Vil when she smiled at me.

“r--r-roommates?” I stuttered nervously, but no one answered.

The buggy came to a stop. Nervously, I waited for everyone else to get out. Grant got out first and then Maxine, Noah sat there staring at me, I stared back waiting for him to either get out, or say something.

“You two go on without us, I need to have a word with Jadacelia alone.” he said, at that the buggy door closed leaving me and Noah alone in the darkness of our black and red buggy. By now my heart was about ready to beat out of my chest, a lump grew in my throat and for a second I thought I was going to hyperventilate.

“There are something’s I need to warn you about,” Noah’s voice was deep, and almost calming, regardless to what he was saying. “They cant know about you being a wolf, End of story, we can talk about why later. Second, stay close to me, although these people seem nice, some of them have gotten in a great deal of trouble with your mom. Also, your name is either Jadacelia or Celia Starsin here, not Night or Porter. They don’t know who your father is. And last, do not accept any kind of
” Before he could finish the door swung open and in came a booming voice.

“Jadacelia, Darling!” a middle-aged woman said outside of the buggy.

“Actually, I was just about
” Noah began.

“Nonsense Noah, Celia come out here and greet me, right now.”

Taking a deep breath I got out of the buggy with the help of some strange man. He smelt like peppermint and his hair was white and balding. He wore a black frock, odd looking glasses and white gloves. The lady gave me a hug and hesitantly I hugged back, she smelt like cheap perfume. “Oh, you of course do not remember me. I’m Elizabeth, I am a good friend of your mothers, you were just a tiny little thing then.” She said, her hands on my shoulders now. She forced me to turn around in a circle, I nearly lost balance.

“You’ve grown so much!” Her small dark brown eyes lit up with excitement and her black curly hair was pulled up. Elizabeth wore a blue gown, and had gloves pulled all the way up to her elbows.

“Um, thanks?” I replied awkwardly.

“Well, lets not stand here all day. Inside! The both of you!” She started towards the huge wooden doors of the castle. Noah and I followed shortly behind, I nudged him, letting him know how unsure I was about this, how bad I just wanted to turn and run as far as I could.

The foyer was filled with people, the crowd grew completely quiet when I walked in and loud elegant music filled my ears. I blushed when I realized everyone was staring at me, don’t have a panic attack, I repeated over and over in my head as we walked down the few steps. The crowd made a pathway for us to walk through, Elizabeth stopped me at the last step. “Presenting! Jadacelia Starsin!” She said. Just then, someone had taken my cloak and we started down the little isle. People whispered to each other, I didn’t really care what they were saying nor did I care if it was bad or good, I just hate gossipers. Everyone bowed or curtsied, they all greeted me. All but one lady who was glaring at me from the stairs. Beside her stood three other girls, one of them being Maxine. No wonder, now I know who to stay away from. A small little red head beside them went to curtsy and instantly the older woman scolded her and then continued to give me a dirty look. I didn’t know what her problem was, but I gave her a dirty look right back. The woman’s small eyes narrowed and then she started up the starts. It was then I realized I had stopped dead in my tracks, Noah nudged me forward and into another room filled with more people, it was a ball room and everyone was dancing.

“Maybe--we should go into a different room.” I said turning around.

Noah let out a low chuckle but he didn’t protest. I let him lead me, however, I wanted badly just to wonder the huge castle. It reminded me of walking into a renaissance fair, it had this mediaeval feel to it. Over all, it was beautiful to look at but a little to much to actually live here, for me anyways. I began to think about the wooden cabin house that I lived in back in New England. How cozy and warm it was, it was like a retreat. This place was slightly eerie and to big and scary to call a home.  I checked my gold watch that I was given last night at my Birthday party. Six p.m.? Already!?

“When do we plan on going back?” I asked Noah, stopping him dead in his tracks.

“It’s fine, Briley knows exactly where you are, in fact I’m surprised she’s not here.” Noah replied, patting my shoulder.  “Stay right here, okay?  I have to speak to someone.”

Sitting down on the red carpet stairs, I nodded. Noah didn’t go to far, between the railing of the stair case I could see him throwing random glances at me. He was talking to a man all dressed in black, he didn’t look like he belonged here, his clothes were torn  and such. Was he talking about me? Or was he just making sure I wasn’t being a little rebel and making a run for it, which I considered multiple times. Would it be that big of a deal if I just wandered up stairs to look around? I mean honestly, how hard would it be to find me? Especially considering that he seems to know this place well. He’s had to of been here before. That was it, he was taking forever and I have came up with to many reasons why  I should be able to explore, I needed time with myself. I had a long, yet very fast day so far and I wanted so badly to be alone.
    As I  hurried up the stairs my conscience began to attack me,   you should go back. He said not to wander off, he wouldn’t of said that without a good reason. And  then there was this little devil beside my ear saying,  Screw him you can do what you want, he’s not the boss of you, don’t let him tell you what to do. don’t let him put you on a leash now.   The devil urged me up the top of the stairs and that last step was almost exciting. I stood there debating what hallway I should go down first, the one with the weird armored knight suit or the one with the series of pictures. I chose the hallway with the pictures, it was long and narrow and there were a lot of doors. There were paintings and pictures of people I’ve never seen before. I sat and stared at this one picture, It was a women. She had long blonde dread-locks and dark brown eyes, they were bold and almost black. Her face looked so familiar, yet there was something throwing me completely off

“Jadacelia!” A squeal came from a little ways down the hall, her hair was an odd dark red violet and she was short and petite, like me. She hurried over ,  her golden eyes filled with excitement.

“Hey! I’m Hailey,” She said with a little more enthusiasm than needed. “I’ve been waiting to meet the last member of The Daughters of Willowsdream.”  She hugged me so tight that I was gasping for air.  Hailey pulled back, smiling, “Oh and here! I’ll help you put this on!”
She then  pulled out a silver bracelet, the crescent moon was right on the sun, the sun was gold and half covered by the crescent moon. It fit perfectly on my wrist as if it was made just for me.

“No! Jade! don’t put that on!” Noah began running towards us, what was his problem? Rolling my eyes I went to take the damn bracelet off, but it was to late. It had sunk into my arm, turning into a silver tattoo that coiled half way  up my arm. The sun and the moon had moved right over the vein of my wrist and It had felt like it had almost hitched itself there.

“What the hell!?” I muttered trying to rub it off.

“Don’t bother,” A cold voice came from behind me and Hailey, who by the way, looked absolutely bamboozled. The cold voice was the lady from earlier, the one on the stairs that gave me a nasty look.  She was wearing black, with dark graying hair pulled up into a tight bun at the top of her head. She walked with her chin pointed in the air and she looked down at us like we were unimportant. “It wont come off,”

“Elaine, you promised you would wait to--” Noah began walking pass me and Hailey and to the old woman.

“I didn’t do anything.” She smirked smartly at him. His fist clenched closed and his jaw tensed, I don’t think I had seen him this angry, I quickly found myself amused. Elaine pushed Noah out of her way and made her way over to me, she then grabbed my face and began examining it.  I wanted so badly to slap her hand away but there was something superior about her, like as if she was an old relative and if you were to disrespect her you’d be in deep crap. So, instead., I froze.  With a little to much force she let it go and gave me a disgusted look.

“You look like your mother, lets hope you are not as much of failure here as she was.” She said coldly, and that was it. Honestly. Who does she think she is to sit there and say something like that about my mother! I gave her the infuriated glare.

“Don’t you talk about my mother you stupid---!” something triggered and I began convulsing, I was going to change---I couldn’t do it here. I’m not even suppose to talk about being a shifter never mind actually changing, it would be a nightmare.

“Jadacelia? Are okay?” Hailey began, she went to touch my back but I jerked away before she could.

“Don’t!  I’m fine!”  I lied, I closed my eyes and tried concentrating. When I opened my eyes Hailey was staring at me blankly, Elaine looked sickened and Noah was furious and almost worried looking. “I’m sorry, I need fresh air.” I muttered and started for the stairs.
    When the cool night air hit my face I knew that I was going to be okay. Although, people were arriving and leaving, all in which trying to talk to me. As soon as I could I excused myself and hurried around the castle. There was a small wooden door covered in vines and surrounded by tree hedges. Curiously, I opened the door to a little garden. Some of the flowers glowed, some neon pink and others a neon blue. However, the one that stood out the most was a bright red glowing rose, I’ve never seen anything like it. I sat down on a stone bench that sat in the middle of the garden. Right in front of a small pond with little glowing fish. I buried my face in my hands. This has to be a dream,  I thought to myself.  Shape shifters, Witches, Magic
Glowing Flowers? I began to wonder if someone slipped something in my drink at my birthday party last night. But then, clear as day, I remembered my reflection in the lake and Noah’s hand on my shoulders and then waking up to Dean Martins That’s Amore this morning. Or maybe its just one of those dreams that you think you woke up, but in all reality you didn’t.

“That was not okay! In fact, that was beyond not okay!” To my disappointment, Noah’s voice broke through the silence. “I mean do you usually take stuff from complete strangers?”

Ignoring anything he had just said I looked up at him and asked, “Can you take me home now?”
    Noah stared at me for a long moment and then sighed. “Yeah, but tomorrow bright an early training begins, no fussing.”

“Deal.” I muttered.  As long as I could be home tucked in bed, or like a real teenager, playing video games or watching TV.  Something Normal.

Last edited by Feliciamae...wolf (2010-04-09 17:53:55)

#22 2010-04-13 04:49:36

SilentStrider

It's been a while since I gave myself time enough to reply back to you, sorry about my lengthy delay.  I've been busy with trying to add more to my story, stay caught up on a couple of the other stories being written here as well, responding to a couple of fan-base emails, work and house chores of course (those never end), and a garage sail we had over the weekend (made more than $100, not too shabby).  I made sure I read your newest chapter today while I was on my lunch break, which is dinner time for everyone else.

I absolutely love the names and titles you have come up with in your story, like the Fathomless Forest, and The Daughters of Willowsdream.  They're original and the names alone suggest an in depth background and gets my imagination working and asking myself what sort of meanings those names carry with them.  Also is it just me, or have you been working on adding a little more description?  Good job!  Keep it up though (when you get the chance), it can add a great deal to your story and captivate more readers.

On a side note unrelated to the story, I'd like to apologies about the whole address thing and sincerely hope I didn't creep you out.  Like I mentioned earlier it was purely a spontaneous and innocent offer, and I'd rather just leave it off as a kind thought and nothing more.  Also, if you don't mind, please extend my apologies to you mother.  I'm sure I must look fairly awful in her eyes, and I meant no offense.  Wow, I feel pretty weird typing that out, but necessary.  But seriously when you get the chance check out "The Dresden Files" series when you get time.  Like I said earlier, it's an outstanding on-going, highly addictive story, it's written in first person perspective much like your story, and I think by the time you're done reading them you'll have picked up a few things that will add to perfecting your story too.

#23 2010-04-13 16:21:43

Feliciamae...wolf

My mom said that she doesnt htink your awful, she just doesnt think its a good idea to give our adress away to strangers, no biggie.
And i have yet to find time to look up the " The Dresden Files"  with a Fantasy Hair competion up, My portfolio projects in school, my birthday coming up, prom  and such, its all been kinda crazy. I searched my local book store last weekend and did not see it, so ill have to go to Barnes&Nobles or look online. but again thank you for being generous.

smile

Board footer