The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-25 07:27:05

Chaoticist

How to weed out the posers...

What do you think? What ridiculous stories and claims have you had from those who want to fit in?

#2 2010-01-25 11:34:37

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Re: How to weed out the posers...

Haha, cool topic. You hear all sorts, especially on this forum. Clans of werewolves at war with clans of vampires, people claiming to p-shift (usually with no information provided as to how they do so or pictures to prove it) teenagers who think they are changing into werewolves, it's usually pretty easy to tell posers. They're mainly the ones who make unsubstantiated claims and then disappear never to post again.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#3 2010-01-25 14:57:45

Chaoticist

Aye, or the ones who say "Oh man, that hunt last night was exhilarating, the wind in my fur and the rabbit I killed with my fangs"

Heh. I've often thought it pretty funny the lengths said posers will go to to avoid providing proof of p-shifts, their hunts, and the like.

#4 2010-01-26 00:06:21

lupusindefined
Dark Shadow

...just wondering...how would you take a pictur of yourself p-shifted when you have paws??...and how would you proove  hunt??

Lupus

silver bullets dont work... not on me anyway =P ...the other guy however.... *looks at dead body lying on the ground*

#5 2010-01-26 06:31:44

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

If you could p-shift and you wanted to prove it could be done, you'd set up a camera to record a video and then begin the change after it was already recording. I think if somebody actually did that, we'd have no problem accepting a hunt story.

#6 2010-01-26 08:02:28

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

ShadyHowl wrote:

If you could p-shift and you wanted to prove it could be done, you'd set up a camera to record a video and then begin the change after it was already recording. I think if somebody actually did that, we'd have no problem accepting a hunt story.

Damn...that's how I should of done it! I knew my paws would of got in the way! *takes notes* Set camera up beforehand...got it. smile

Kidding of course.

I guess when you see people posting about how they are a werewolf and talk about how they're in a constant conflict with vampires. I think that'd probably be too much influence from films such as Underworld. smile Crazy P-shift claims are also something I just can't believe. Surely, to undergo a physical change which would alter bone structure and whatnot...would kill a person undergoing it. If the whole bones breaking/altering/morphing/whatever didn't do it, I'm pretty sure they'd have a heart attack. (Well...I would, as it'd come as more than a shock! lol )

Although, just to be awkward...can you weed out every "poser"? I mean, I'm not saying this is the case, but couldn't anyone of us who have posted within this topic be a poser? We could just be more tactful in our approach, by reading up on information first, knowing whats "ok" to say and what isn't, and by doing that we appear to be more "genuine" smile

Like I said, I'm not saying this is the case, but since the question is "How to weed out the posers..." then how would you weed out posers that aren't using over the top claims? tongue

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#7 2010-01-26 09:13:00

Chaoticist

That's a pretty good point, actually, Gremlin. Someone intelligent who knows what they are talking about will of course know enough to be thought of as genuine.

#8 2010-01-26 15:52:18

bdk336
Website

Of course people who have put that amount of thought into something generally realize that there is no reason to pose in the first place (eg. myself). Also though most of the guys who come on with a bunch of assumptions taken from fiction and the media aren't Therians there could always been a few who have just gotten false impressions from a source they consider reliable.

#9 2010-01-26 21:18:07

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

TheGremlin wrote:

Although, just to be awkward...can you weed out every "poser"? I mean, I'm not saying this is the case, but couldn't anyone of us who have posted within this topic be a poser? We could just be more tactful in our approach, by reading up on information first, knowing whats "ok" to say and what isn't, and by doing that we appear to be more "genuine" :)

That's why I don't really bother.  You can't tell who's lying to themselves or others and whos not, so you just don't bother.  It doesn't really matter anyway, as there's really no point in pretending...

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#10 2010-01-27 01:34:33

WolfVanZandt
Website

Indeed. I don't think I've ever known a Therian who took it very seriously very long and I don't think there's been any harm done to the community.

Just remember, before you get all fired up with holy zeal and ramp across the forum like Maxwell that this is not a Therian forum - it's a fandom forum and in most of the place, it's perfectly legitimate for people to be posers.

#11 2010-01-27 10:44:10

Chaoticist

True...there aren't enough Therian forums.

#12 2010-01-27 12:36:22

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

I think I gave up being angry at blatent posers after the first 6 months or so.

#13 2010-01-27 12:40:05

bdk336
Website

given that the term Therianthropy itself was only recently coined and that the vast majority of people are unaware of it the small number of sites catering to therians is to be expected.

#14 2010-01-28 23:26:42

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

yeah, but we are still pretty miniscule on the internet, but i prefer it that way;the more therianthropy gets out, the better chance you have of posers. Remember that nasty one who caused so much trouble a few months back? it annoys me so much when people do that

"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not."
                                                                                          -Andre Gide

#15 2010-01-28 23:31:16

drkgryfur
crazy wolf
Website

yeah...possers are the ones that try to hard....

1nor·mal \ˈnȯr-məl\
adjective
1 : strictly a matter of one's opinion
— nor·mal·i·ty — nor·mal·ly

#16 2010-01-29 01:20:24

Tokeacola

i think its pretty pointless to pose about something like this or anything for that matter because all your doing is lying to yourself and others and doesnt that just make you cool.... not.

....Blinded by me you cant see a thing, Just call my name 'cause i hear you scream, MASTER!!, MASTER!!....

#17 2010-01-30 20:44:49

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

This all sounds like a BAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!-fest to me. >:|

What I think is funny is how when you start talking about "posers" all the stupid people (this encompasses both therians and non-therians) like to jump in and agree about the "serious problem on the internets".  I also see that a good few of the people complaning have never really been to an actual therian site (as far as I can tell), yet are complaining about something that is an issue for reasons that haven't been encountered here.  I expect that many of the people here will leave at some point having decided that they never were therians making this little "discussion" all the more pointless in the end.
How's that for my opinion on the matter? >:|

Indeed. I don't think I've ever known a Therian who took it very seriously very long and I don't think there's been any harm done to the community.
Just remember, before you get all fired up with holy zeal and ramp across the forum like Maxwell, that this is not a Therian forum - it's a fandom forum and in most of the place, it's perfectly legitimate for people to be posers.

I gotta agree.  As annoying as stupid people (again, both legitimate and non-legitimate therians) can be, they don't do much harm other than the occasional bit of misinfo. 
Also, going crazy on Werewolf forums like VanZandt described has given therianthropy a worse name than people claiming to be therians ever could.  The reason I wanted this forum in the first place was for separation: Therianthropy doesn't belong on a Werewolf fansite in the context it was being presented, this is a better place to talk about it.

Chaoticist wrote:

True...there aren't enough Therian forums.

lolwut?  There are hundreds of Therian/Otherkin/Vampire forums on the internet, and they're pretty easy to make.  Just do a search for it or look at Therian.Wikia.  OR start your own. (if you really have something worth making: there are too many that were unorigional or stupid and didn't last long)

ShadyHowl wrote:

I think I gave up being angry at blatent posers after the first 6 months or so.

No you didn't.  You're still getting angry. >:|

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#18 2010-01-31 07:29:21

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Hahaha!

#19 2010-02-01 20:31:44

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

>:|

#20 2010-05-09 15:27:39

Thira-Alpha
Website

Its all because of those stupid pups in new moon....

-------------------------
Howling
Its a Hobby ^_^

#21 2010-05-11 17:16:44

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

WAT.  Go away Thira.  This topic is dead and has nothing to do with Twilight.

Board footer