The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-16 00:34:28

Werecat
Website

Non-Romantic Werewolf Book Suggestions?

Okie, so I'm looking to expand my werewolf library and was hoping some of you guys could help!

I despise the cheesy-ass romance genre, and sadly most of the reviews I've read on the popular werewolf books put them out to be exactly that - romances. So, could any of you point me to some good werewolf reads that have little to no romance?

Thanks!

#2 2010-02-16 01:12:26

ArcLight
Website

Re: Non-Romantic Werewolf Book Suggestions?

Well...The romance in Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series isn't overwhelming but still might be more than you want.

W.D. Gagliani's books WOLF'S TRAP and WOLF'S GAMBIT...the hero werewolf has a girlfriend but that's just kinda beside the point (and to give him someone to want to protect).

Ray Garton's BESTIAL and RAVENOUS  are pretty straightforward violent werewolves-as-monsters books.

J.F. Gonzalez's SHAPESHIFTER isn't huge on romance. Again, there's a girlfriend but it's not the centerpiece of the book.

Nicholas Pekearo's THE WOLFMAN is an awesome non-romance.

Those are the ones from the last couple of years that come to mind off the top of my head.

Last edited by ArcLight (2010-02-16 01:15:34)

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#3 2010-02-16 07:36:18

WolfMontana

Whitely Strieber - The Wild, Charles de Lint - Wolf's Moon (think that's the title), Lonely Werewolf Girl by... somebody who's name I've forgotten.

None of these are 'monster' books though. All the werewolves are thinking/feeling, just not pining/dribbling. wink

And check out other lists on this thread for werewolf books.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#4 2010-02-16 23:00:42

Viergacht

Melanie Tem's "Wilding". I'd say it's so grim it's almost anti-romance.

#5 2010-02-17 11:35:02

The Busboy
Administrator

My fav werewolf books are the ones based off of actual werewolf legend and lore.

#6 2010-02-17 12:17:36

Rogue
Lunatic

Go read Wolfman. They made it a book and it is actually decent. And there is way more gore than romance.

WARNING: IF YOU CAN'T TAKE A JOKE . . . STAY AWAY FROM ME!
"I'm not in a bad mood. I'm practically sociable."
"All I know is that it hurts like hell, and as soon as I can get off this floor I'm gonna find that bastard and kill him!"
http://running-rogue.deviantart.com/      http://www.facebook.com/supergayadventures

#7 2010-02-20 21:21:04

PenningtonBeast

Bestial: Werewolf Apocalypse by William D. Carl

The Hyde Effect by Steve Vance

Moon Dance by S.P Somtow.

#8 2010-02-21 22:38:00

WerewolfImmortal

Rogue wrote:

Go read Wolfman. They made it a book and it is actually decent. And there is way more gore than romance.

He doesn't want romance Choondooga.

Try that Stephen King book. I think it's Bad Moon. It's a picture a month and each story is based on that month (a werewolf is killing people in the town. It's pretty cool. Look on youtube and you'll see the pictures)

Last edited by WerewolfImmortal (2010-02-21 22:39:05)

#9 2010-02-22 13:55:03

Rogue
Lunatic

Which is why I said Wolfman. It is not too romantic. Read the post before you reply.

Anyway. The book The above poster is trying to talk about is Cycle of the Werewolf.

"All I know is that it hurts like hell, and as soon as I can get off this floor I'm gonna find that bastard and kill him!"
http://running-rogue.deviantart.com/      http://www.facebook.com/supergayadventures

#10 2010-02-23 21:23:26

Delta Wolfman

When the Autumn Moon is Bright: The Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter.

#11 2010-02-24 20:13:32

Rogue
Lunatic

Delta Wolfman wrote:

That sounds interesting. Is it good? What is it about? - besides, obviously, werewolves.

#12 2010-02-25 17:47:38

Carnivore

"The Book Of Werewolves" by Sabine Baring-Gould. First published 1865 by Smith, Elder & Co of London England.

It has numerous reprints I believe, and is considered by many scholars to be the foundation of pre nineteenth century examination on the subject of lycanthropy, shapechanging in legend and the superstitions that surround it. There are no influences of modern pop culture affecting the work of Baring-Goulds essays, which give the reader a more earthy and authentic feel for the subject matter within this volume. When considering that (at the time of writing) many communities in Europe believed wholeheartedly in the phenomenon of werewolves, there are some wonderous stories held within this work, from the commentary of norse saga to the eye witness accounts of beasts ravaging the countryside of French provinces.

Highly recommended reading if you are looking for the roots of werewolf myth.

“It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be”

#13 2010-02-25 20:47:05

WolfMontana

Oh, The Wolf's Hour by Robert R McGammon (I think that's his name). Great book, though you might think romance in the first scene. It's not. It's like James Bond the werewolf. Quite epic and brutal.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#14 2010-02-28 02:49:59

Delta Wolfman

Rogue wrote:

Delta Wolfman wrote:

That sounds interesting. Is it good? What is it about? - besides, obviously, werewolves.

Basically, it's an autobiography of a werewolf hunter. Follows one specific man throughout his entire life. A life wrought with tragedy at the claws of werewolves.

It's dark.

#15 2010-02-28 08:33:25

Daninsky
Website

Try "Animals", definitely not romantic.
Also Whitley Strieber's "Wolfen", no "true" werewolf book, but I think it comes close enough to count, and though "The Wild" features a strong romance plot it certainly ain't cheesy at it so I would consider that one too.

Last edited by Daninsky (2010-02-28 08:37:55)

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#16 2010-02-28 10:02:47

Rogue
Lunatic

Delta Wolfman wrote:

Rogue wrote:

Delta Wolfman wrote:

Basically, it's an autobiography of a werewolf hunter. Follows one specific man throughout his entire life. A life wrought with tragedy at the claws of werewolves.

It's dark.

Now I have to buy it. Who's it by?

#17 2010-03-01 00:49:59

Delta Wolfman

Brian Easton.

There's a sequel by him too called Heart of Scars. I haven't read that one yet.

#18 2010-03-02 10:05:11

WereWolfH

Delta Wolfman wrote:

Rogue wrote:

Delta Wolfman wrote:

It's dark.

It's freakin' out of print!!!! The Mammoth Book of Werewolves is okay. A couple of good stories in there. My favorite is the one that's sorta like the scene in AWI London where they get attacked by the werewolf at the beginning.  In this story this guy's walking somewhere and he's on a deserted road and a werewolf is following him. That was a good one!

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#19 2010-03-02 10:37:16

Werecat
Website

Try that Stephen King book. I think it's Bad Moon. It's a picture a month and each story is based on that month (a werewolf is killing people in the town. It's pretty cool. Look on youtube and you'll see the pictures)

I'm a she. xD And I'll definitely be getting Bad Moon, I've had that on my list for awhile now. But thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be checking out some of these books soon.

#20 2010-06-07 00:01:35

snowWalker

Werecat wrote:

I'm a she. xD And I'll definitely be getting Bad Moon, I've had that on my list for awhile now. But thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be checking out some of these books soon.

OK, Bad Moon was actually a movie(a BAD movie lol)  it was based on a novel, "Thor" which I have not read yet, but it's basically like the movie except written from the point of view of the family dog, thor.

and someone already caught this one, but the Stephen King book was cycle of the Werewolf.  If you're a fan of King, also some werewolf content in Black House, and possibly in The Talisman(the books are related)

can't believe someone listed Moon Dance!  thats so obscure.........but freakin Epic and gritty.
I also would recomend Animals by Skipp n Spector
Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter was by Brian Easton, and I believe is back in print now from "permuted press" also has a sequel.  Great story.
many others I have read that are already listed here........... Oh
a book called Canyons (forget the author's name, wanna say it was casey or casec or something)
St. peter's Wolf, (wierd story but engaging)

I think the best of the best out of all I have read are the Easton novels, Animals, and Moon Dance.  I am a fan of grit, gore, and dark dark subject matter though.

hope that helps a little.

#21 2010-06-07 06:26:09

fearless freak

Maneater & Maneater II: Prey by Thomas Emson

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

#22 2010-06-07 10:40:08

Daninsky
Website

snowWalker wrote:

a book called Canyons (forget the author's name, wanna say it was casey or casec or something)
St. peter's Wolf, (wierd story but engaging)

P. D. Cacek and Michael Cadnum respectively.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#23 2010-06-08 02:14:56

Moonlit Hunter

Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series is good, though it has some romantic elements in the stories. Not meant to be romance, though. I would suggest it if you are in the mood for lighter reading.

Board footer