The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-27 15:46:07

Belasting

Werewolves in The elder scrolls

Hello everyone,

In TES 3 Morrowind, there was an awesome expansion which enabled werewolf gameplay. Running trough a pine forest at astonishing speed butchering innocent people.. ah bliss. However, Morrowind is old, very old. the grapics really are outdated for this time, and I would like some refreshment.

Screenshot: http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/down … lf1024.bmp

TES 4 Oblivion springs to mind! great game with lots of possibilities in gameplay, and very attractive graphics. Unfortunately Oblivion does not have werewolf gameplay inherent. Of course! lets try modding! Curse of hircine is a mod with exactly this goal. but.. look at the models.. hideous! And the attacking movement thingy is even more repulsive...

Curse of Hircine: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V … mp;id=1732

My question: Is there any game in which I can find something comparable to Morrowind, but with some nicer graphics? or is there someone capable of making good models for oblivion, along with nicer attack animations?

Thanks,
Belasting

#2 2010-06-27 17:46:38

KCat

Re: Werewolves in The elder scrolls

Is there any game in which I can find something comparable to Morrowind, but with some nicer graphics? or is there someone capable of making good models for oblivion, along with nicer attack animations?

That's the entire issue with how CoH is. There simply isn't anyone, that can be found, willing and able to do high quality character models and animations for free. Not to mention the design is a bit subjective (I thought the model was pretty good, comparitively speaking; though I do like the design in Morrowind better). Though it definitely doesn't help that the engine is a pain to work with, and lacks the features necessary to get it working in a clean, compatible manner (you wouldn't believe the amount of scripting hacks there are in CoH, and it's still buggy and functionally incomplete).

As for other commercial games, I'm not aware of anything more recent that has the same style of gameplay (freeform open-world sandbox roleplaying). The Elder Scrolls series is pretty unique in that regard, which is a shame because it's a very fun and lasting style of play. So trying to find something like that, with functional, playable werewolves, is... problematic. But hey, maybe some day someone will make something like that (or Bethesda will bring back werewolves for TES V).

#3 2010-06-29 05:16:49

Belasting

Thanks for your reply Kcat. And so soon! You sound like you know what you are talking about.
So im stuck with morrowind until tes5 is launched, hmm. Dont believe anything is announced about tes5. Maybe ill try something else.
Thanks
belasting

edit: saw something about tes5 here: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/f … ?id=162212 could be a fake though...

Last edited by Belasting (2010-06-29 09:08:48)

#4 2010-06-29 14:41:26

KCat

Belasting wrote:

Thanks for your reply Kcat. And so soon! You sound like you know what you are talking about.

I used to do some modding for the game, and I was actually the main scripter behind Curse of Hircine. smile

So im stuck with morrowind until tes5 is launched, hmm. Dont believe anything is announced about tes5. Maybe ill try something else.
Thanks
belasting

edit: saw something about tes5 here: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/f … ?id=162212 could be a fake though...

Hint: look at the article's date. wink There were rumors that they may announce something at E3, but since it's come and gone and no one's saying anything, I don't believe there was anything TES related. Something will come up eventually, though.. TES is too popular to just drop (I hope it doesn't turn out to be a damn MMO).

#5 2010-07-01 08:01:36

Belasting

Ok, to summarize;

oblivion is too damn difficult to mod,
CoH is the best werewolf mod for oblivion,
TES 5 is nowhere near yet,
and there really isnt anything comparable.

Thanks for your help!

#6 2010-07-01 17:14:51

KCat

Belasting wrote:

oblivion is too damn difficult to mod,
CoH is the best werewolf mod for oblivion,

Not sure these two are really true. Oblivion modding is difficult, but the possibilities vary depending on the tools you are willing to use and require for users (I tried to stick to vanilla, and didn't even like requiring OBSE). I'm also not sure what werewolf mods there may be these days, so I can't say if it's currently the "best" or not (which also depends on your particular tastes).

#7 2010-12-30 20:48:44

lupinealchemist

The were-realism mod for Morrowind makes werewolves much more enjoyable like in Daggerfall.

-You get permanent fortifications upon turning after the third day
-You don't change every night, just on full moons
-Your level of bloodlust depends on your willpower score. The higher it is, the less bloodlust you attain. Upon 90 willpower, no bloodlust at all
-Upon level 20 you can change at will
-Werewolf quests in Bloodmoon provide better rewards
-npcs infected with sanies lupinus appear in Morrowind and Tribunal regions.
-Hircine's Ring functions like the one in Daggerfall, meaning only full-fledged werewolves can equip it and it prevents bloodlust and forced transformations.

#8 2010-12-31 01:01:55

WolfMontana

Since TES V is centered around Skyrim, I could see them including werewolves again smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#9 2010-12-31 12:11:55

lupinealchemist

WolfMontana wrote:

Since TES V is centered around Skyrim, I could see them including werewolves again smile

If I'm familiar with Tamrielic lore, then Skyrim should also be inhabited by werebears.

#10 2011-01-01 00:28:13

KCat

Technically, werewolves should've been in Oblivion, too. They're supposed to be in every province of Tamriel, which includes Cyrodiil. The reason they didn't was supposedly due to time constraints. Hopefully they make it more of a priority for Skyrim.

#11 2011-06-19 12:08:01

WolfMontana

Finally had a chance to try out Curse of the Hircine: Resurrected, and I have to say they've done a fantastic job of bringing werewolves to Oblivion. smile The models look more like morrowind werewolves, without the flattened face. Your eyes change on the nights of the gibbous and full moon to a glowing yellow. You are forced to transform at the full moon, but have a chance to transform on gibbous too. You run on four legs and attack on two and have a tail. smile You feed on kills, leaving a skeleton behind and almost the best bit - you can howl, which has a special (subtle) animation and a beautiful sound big_smile

There are some little kinks, but on the whole, alot of fun. My only issue - there is no bump to stealth, stats go up in werewolf form only, and you're pretty weak in beginning (werewolf levels and there are levels of good & evil too)

So thanks KCat for starting something awesome!

#12 2011-11-15 08:04:06

PRIMWOLF

Yeah, the creators of Skyrim put a Lycanthropy disease in it. I'm not sure about the specifics but I heard that its really cool.

"The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell body parts for money." - ME

My outlook on life? = "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a nice big rock."

#13 2011-11-26 22:35:23

WolfMontana

SPOILER

>>>>>>>>>>>>Unfortunately they're not like vampires. You can find one in the wild and get 'infected'. You have to do a very specific series of quests to become one. Which in my opinion - SUCKS.

#14 2011-11-27 12:03:38

KCat

WolfMontana wrote:

SPOILER

[spoiler]
There will be mods for it, no doubt. I think part of it has to do with the nature of the ability. There's no forced transformations and there's no need to kill NPCs (which goes against werewolf lore established in previous games, although they do provide an explanation for it being different), so there's no downsides other than not being able to get a resting bonus, and the cure is only made available part-way through the quest line in which you get infected. Getting infected "in the wild" wouldn't really provide a worthwhile experience.

But again, I'm sure there will be mods to make it more traditional-style with forced transformations and needing to hunt NPCs, along with infectious "wild" werewolves and an alternative cure quest (maybe even quests you have to be in werewolf for to do). As long as you have the game on the PC, anyway.
[/spoiler]

#15 2011-12-10 01:00:16

WolfMontana

You can also get 'infected' through the *cough* quest line, then head on down to Falkreath and talk to a guy in the prison there. He has a ring that makes things very... unpredictable.

Finally became a werewolf with my new character, and they've handled the violence pretty well. The animations are awesome, you eat folks to regain health, (think they stole some Oblivion ideas KCat wink and you look and sound awesome. big_smile

My main beefs - you don't regenerate your health, and you only get 2.5 minutes of transform time, unless you eat things.

#16 2013-01-22 21:18:08

KCat

Closed beta sign-ups for The Elder Scrolls Online opened today: http://signup.elderscrollsonline.com/
Comes with a 5 minute cinematic trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jNT5cMwxw0
Features? Undead werewolves.

#17 2013-01-24 10:02:41

WolfMontana

Yeah, saw that. Freaking zombie werewolves. Why spoil (hey! I punned!) a perfectly good werewolf model with decaying sloppy bits? Snasinfrasin.

Outstanding animation, outstanding visuals big_smile Probably the best 3D work I've ever seen.

And I've signed up for the beta! Who knows! big_smile

Board footer