The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-25 02:22:24

ArcLight
Website

W.D. Gagliani

Author W.D. Gagliani has two werewolf books out, WOLF'S TRAP and the newly released WOLF'S GAMBIT.

Nice to see a good-guy werewolf once in awhile.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#2 2009-08-26 19:04:34

WDGagliani
Website

Re: W.D. Gagliani

Hey, thanks for the shout-out, ArcLight!

I sure do appreciate it. If anyone reads them, feel free to let me know what you think. Wolf's Bluff will be out last year, and Wolf's Edge maybe in 2011. Gambit-Bluff-Edge form a sort of trilogy.

Take care, all!

W.D.

#3 2009-08-27 20:29:39

PenningtonBeast

I have a review of it up here

http://lycanthropelibrary.blogspot.com/

it's kinda short, most of my good ones are.

#4 2009-08-28 13:04:50

WDGagliani
Website

Hi Kelly,

Yes, Thank you! In fact, I saw it yesterday and tried to find a way to email you, but my time was limited. I wanted to drop you a note of thanks for the sharp, quick read.

In fact, I'd love to use a quote from your review on my website (and maybe future email newsletter), if you don't mind. Email me and we'll work it out.

Unfortunately Doug at Bookgasm didn't think as highly of it, though he kind of half-recommends it at the end anyway. Ah well, we can but try to please everyone!

Thanks again for the shout-out!

Howl on,

W.D.

#5 2009-08-28 20:02:07

PenningtonBeast

Haha, Wow!

I didn't know my silly little blog was that popular!

#6 2009-08-29 02:49:07

MarkOne
Website

Welcome to the Cafe, W.D. ! smile

I'm a huge fan of your first book, Wolf's Trap, and look forward to reading the new one.

I'm also an aspiring writer, in the process of writing my first werewolf novel, so I, and hopefully some of the other writers on this site, would love to hear any advice, tips, and stories from you about breaking into the business and what it takes to get your works published.

Thank you for your time and again welcome to the Cafe.

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#7 2009-08-31 16:04:08

WDGagliani
Website

Kelly, your blog pops up a lot when I Google the title or my name. Thanks for the push! :-)

Mark, thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the nod to Trap... I'm really grateful you liked it.

As for tips and advice, sure, I can probably answer some questions and the like. I find myself getting busier and busier, writing a new book, and another book project (a collab) and some shorts, and reading both for me and for review, and with the day job, and some family obligations... so I may not check in here every day. Please give me a few days to get back in and respond, but I'd be happy to share some of what I've learned.

One thing: Persistence really is the key. It took me 9 years to write Trap. I ended up writing Gambit in about 7 months. Kelly said in her review that Gambit surpasses Trap. Argh! That seems counterintuitive, right? But... I learned an awful lot in those 10-13 years from when I started Trap. So maybe the combination of persistence (because I would not give up in the face of agent and editor rejections!) and a constantly open mind for learning and constant reading and digesting of style and character and plot and everything else that goes into a novel... that combination ultimately made me a better writer. Then again, everything is subjective, so who knows?

I managed to write Wolf's Bluff in slightly less than that 7 months, btw. I may have hit my limit in terms of shortening the time of writing. And it may not be as good as some people will think Gambit is. Fact is, I just don't know. It's hard to judge until you see it typeset. And even then, it's slippery.

So, to sum up, I'm still learning.

Thanks again for the welcome!

W.D.

#8 2009-09-21 16:23:25

PenningtonBeast

Hey W.D,

I forgot to thank you for the signed postcard you sent me!

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

#9 2009-10-02 19:09:34

Gralkiil
Website

WD, I've just started reading Wolf's Trap, and so far it's good.  While I have to agree with some reviews it IS a little cliche (the cop named Lupo is the werewolf, bad childhood leads to serial killing, and some other similar cliche's) in places, it's also a VERY good cop/detective novel.  In that regard, you wrote a compelling and interesting novel.  But alas, if you pulled the wolf out of Lupo, the novel is still a good book.  It's just the werewolf parts weren't as 'horror' as they could have been.  It's a valid criticism in saying you don't feel the fear of the characters facing either the wolf or a killer, as you barely get to know them.  I understand they are background characters, but you still have to get to know them as a reader before you're going to care that they're dead.

I found your books in the 'horror' secion of my bookstore, and I know that's how it's being promoted....but I just think they're doing you a disservice, as the murder mystery/detective cop drama books are filled with worse books, and yours would do well with that fan base.

I own but haven't started Gambit, and I hope the reviews are correct saying it's a better book.  MANY authors find their first book cludgy (Stephen king hates the Gunslinger), and by their second and third their real style starts to shine through.  So I am hoping the second one is that much better.

But as your novel, and you yourself, are here I figured I'd join.  I'm a lifelong werewolf fan, and (as with many) an aspiring author, with not a few werewolf stories clamboring in my head for release (along with other genre-twisting tales I've devised)

So, fellow wolves, I am here to share my passion for the wolf, both normal and were....and to share my thoughts on lycanthropy in general.  this seems to be a tremendous forum for the werewolves, so it's my hope I can include many of you in my personal clan someday.

"The demon wolf is not evil, unless the man he has bitten is evil. And it feels good to be a wolf, doesn't it?"

http://graalkiil.mybrute.com <- it's pointless fun fighting!

#10 2009-10-05 11:53:45

WDGagliani
Website

Kelly, if you're planning to review Bluff next year, let me know ahead of time. (And you're welcome!)

Gralkiil, thanks for the compliments. I agree that I think of Trap more as thriller than horror. Thriller WITH horror. I call it North Woods Noir.

Lupo - the name controversy. It's been done before, sure, but I gave him a destiny he's not aware of. If you stick with the series, you'll see. And I wanted to use my Italian heritage. Cheesy? Maybe. We usually appreciate cheesy in horror.

Bad childhood may not lead to serial killing as a rule, but some serial killers surely had bad childhoods. Martin's problems had to come from somewhere, but I did say he was miswired anyway.

Your point about characters who get killed before you care about them is interesting. Because pretty much every horror writer does it. You have to. I estimate that it takes about 5000 words to get to a point where a reader cares about a character, and there are - at my count - 9 such characters in Trap, including the bad guys (you may care negatively) and two in flashbacks. At 5000 words each, that's already half the novel gone. You have to keep most novels under 95K (unless you're somebody named King and 1200 pages is OK). That means that, mathematically, in order to have plot AND characters AND conflict AND a resolution, there will be some characters whose only job is to be killed. Kind of like the red shirts on Star Trek.

Check it out. It's a fallacy to think that no one does that. Everyone does it, unless their novel features only 4 or 5 characters, and then they can't kill them or there won't be a climax (or the book will move slowly because they can only kill one occasionally). Read Garton, or Ed Lee -- or even the last couple Preston & Child Pendergast novels. In Wheel of Darkness, on the passenger ship, there are plenty of people introduced, given a few pages, then killed off. Maybe some writers are better than I was at giving you the illusion that you'd been with a character long enough to care about him or her, but I guarantee, it happens a lot in books (not to mention movies, where it's ALL a bunch of characters getting killed off moments after you first see them).

Now keep in mind, killing minor characters serves several purposes. One, it keeps your plot and book moving. Gotta have some action, or readers will think it's boring. Two, they allow the writer to play tricks on readers - will this minor character live or die? Sometimes I don't know myself - they will find their own destiny! I have killed people I thought would live, and spared people I thought would die. If they can fool me, they'll fool you, too. SPOILER: Remember Martin and the blond hooker? I thought he was going to kill her, but he surprised me by NOT doing it. I bet you didn't really CARE about her, yet she was spared. Martin spared her. SPOILER DONE. Three, killing minor characters allows you to ratchet up the suspense and preview what MIGHT happen to those characters you care about. Four, it allows the writer to kill people he/she hates in real life, except do it harmlessly on the page! Ha!

I hope this helps! Hopefully I'm not so much defending myself, as showing you the thought process. Take out a few of those "unCAREd" for deaths, and the book would move a lot more slowly, and in theory the suspense would be harder to maintain.

So, welcome and good luck in your own writing endeavors!

WD

PS- did I mention I just sold the 4th book, WOLF'S EDGE to Leisure? It'll be due in 2011, after BLUFF in 2010.

#11 2009-10-06 14:58:16

Gralkiil
Website

WD,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I appreciate the work it took to write the novels, and get published.  I can't even say I've FINISHED any of my books, so other than being a reader and a fan, who am I to criticize?  smile

I absolutely think adding in your Italian heritage was fantastic.  All authors put a little of themselves into their characters, and your Italian heritage came through loud and clear!  And since your main character is Italian (not by mistake) it was easy to give a 'flavor' to him.  Background, heritage, and family are all important factors in everyone's life, and I think you used those factors well in Trap.

I agree, while bad childhoods don't always make serial killers (or we'd have even MORE than we already do), and on top of that Martin was 'mis-wired' from the start.  Combine the two, and you get a serial killer.  Sure, it works.  I've watched enough Crime Drama TV (and studied psych in college) to know that it's a pretty well established link.  I'm just saying it's kind of 'standard'.  I, personally, like to take what the reader is expecting (cliche') and turn it on it's ear.  But that's my style, owing to TOO many bland, processed, filler novels I've read.

I love the term "North Woods Noir".  And I completely agree.  The North Woods is the place where the magic and mysticism happens.  Lupo just got caught up in it.  Lupo is VERY definitely Noir, except he doesn't smoke or drink or wear a fedora.  smile  Knowing you titialed it North Woods Noir, I can appreciate how you made a 'classic Noir cop' mixed with the werewolf story.  It's allll making sense now.

Now, the biggest part - killing off bit characters.  I agree, that in order to establish Martin's true depravity, you needed to have minor characters come in and get killed.  And your mathematical breakdown of the words to establish that makes a very convincing argument.  You didn't with a novel the size of "The Stand" or any of the "Wheel of Time" series.  You have limited words to establish minor/background characters before you kill them.

And for minor characters that's fine.  But Corrine wasn't a background character.  Her murder was the McGuffin through the entire story, driving the plot from start to finish. Even though dead, she was in fact a major character.  We didn't know much about her, though.  After the murder we find out more, as is appropriate since Lupo is searching into her life.  But before she was killed, we only got a brief introduction to her and her relationship to Lupo, if any.  Maybe a short scene with them in the hallway, or being as close as Lupo recollects later, might have established her death as 'more important' before the fact, instead of after.

I don't want to harp, at all.  I think your style is very clean, and concise, and I am enjoying the book.  You have gotten several books written and published, which is MUCH farther along the Writers Path than my own journey, so please don't feel like I am being negative.  I guess I'm just trying to explore your throught process, so I can sharpen my own story.  smile

And congrats on the continuing series.  I can HONESTLY see this character converting well to the small screen.  Since the Change is infrequent, the special effects budget would be small (no more than say a Buffy Episode, or the like).  Additionally, there are an ABUNDANCE of crime drama TV shows right now.  From all the CSI's and SVU's to Criminal Minds, N3MBERS, Bones and Castle (Castle is my favorite crime drama by far), there are a ton of them.  Sure, adding another might make it oversaturated....but I could completely see this series working on a TV show.

Sure you'd have to edit some of the sex scenes (making them implied, and not explicit), but the interplay between Lupo and Ben, between Lupo and Jesse, all of the emotions between the characters could make for a compelling TV show.

If you DO ever get the option for a TV show, though, don't go the way of "The Legend of the Seeker".  I liked Goodkind's books and thought the Kahlan/Richard relationship was fantastic.....and the syndicated show completely mishandled the entire series.

So, go fter the TV option, but try to keep come creative control!  smile

and thanks for the discussion.  It's not often I get to pick the brain of an author who has a series of books out, and who could be considered 'sucessful' by anyone's standard.

Last edited by Gralkiil (2009-10-06 14:59:42)

"The demon wolf is not evil, unless the man he has bitten is evil. And it feels good to be a wolf, doesn't it?"

http://graalkiil.mybrute.com <- it's pointless fun fighting!

#12 2009-10-07 17:07:05

The Busboy
Administrator

Hi W. D., is there a way to get autographed copies of your books?

#13 2009-10-07 18:45:01

PenningtonBeast

I'll most likely be reviewing Wolf's Bluff next year.

#14 2009-10-19 11:28:50

WDGagliani
Website

Kelly - thanks, I'll see about getting you an advance copy. Remind me in May. The book's due in July.

The Busboy - sorry, I've been busy and haven't dropped in! Yes, of course, you can email me at wdg-at-williamdgagliani.com and let me know what you'd like. I usually offer free shipping and a slight break on the price.

Gralkiil - heh, I like Castle too. I wasn't feeling criticized, don't worry. I just wanted to point out that some devices are shared by all genre writers, and it's a time-honored tradition to kill off minor characters who have been introduced for just that purpose. Otherwise, you'd be killing only those characters people care about, and it would get old fast, not to mention kill off your entire cast. Now I'm a fan of being unpredictable - not broadcasting who lives and dies - and also letting the characters themselves also decide their fate, when they want to.

As for Corinne, in Trap, you make a valid point. She's a major character, and you're supposed to care, but ONLY through Lupo's memory of her. You see, in my mind, Lupo's picture of her is also distorted. She isn't quite what he thought, either (all that duality going on) and what we see of her through his eyes is greatly idealized. There's a good chance she wasn't quite as sweet as he took her to be, and seeing him remember her that way and then being shocked was supposed to be part of the anti-cliche you mention. That is, Lupo's not always a reliable narrator, because clearly he was fooled by her and did not realize the layers of her personality. So I kept her mostly in his memory on purpose, and the same with Caroline, though less so -- she's a bit more the way he remembers her and we get her voice in the journal bits after all. But if I had layered in flashback scenes of Corinne with Lupo, I would have had yet another series of flashbacks, and it would have been rendered too complicated, as there would have been those from his youth, then those with Caroline, then with Corinne. Decisions have to be made constantly when writing (what to put in, what to leave out, what to show, what to tell) and sometimes we'll get it right and sometimes not. But you still have to make the decision, then live with it!

Good luck with your own writing! It's not an easy path to choose, alas, but it can be rewarding!

And though I hate to be mercenary (or do I?) :-) ... I should mention that any of you folks who've read and enjoyed the Wolf books should feel free to head on over to Amazon and leave a short reader review (hopefully positive)! I'd be grateful for your help in steering other like-minded people over there. For instance, I've been telling bookstore people to shelve a couple in Paranormal Romance, because those readers might like them too (those who like a bit more graphic sex, etc) and they'll never find them if shelved in fiction or horror. Anyway, feel free to tell Amazon readers you liked the books, if you did. I appreciate your help!

W.D.

#15 2010-07-08 14:20:16

ArcLight
Website

Thought I'd point out that "Wolf's Bluff" is out now. Picked it up yesterday.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

Board footer