The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#451 2010-08-14 14:48:48

Reptile

Re: The "new" Wolf Man movie

Daninsky wrote:

Reptile wrote:

BIG MONSTER HATE F*CK SOME RANDOM LOSER WITH HIS CLAWS!

I don't remember that scene ... 'tis surely would have brought it up to an R. smile

It was R rated. It was the Mummy Remake that I was talking about being PG-13 rated. That was arguably worse than anything anything The Wolfman did. tongue

But seriously, I liked the movie. I think Johnston and his team had the atmosphere of classic horror pat down, and I loved that they resisted the common trend of using stupid, flashy camera tricks.
Like that CGI remake of Clash of the Titans for example (Bah, humbug!).

Oh yes, as I think I mentioned earlier I'm very glad the went with the actor in prosthetics route for the Wolfman. Had they done anything else I would have found the movie truly abhorrent. As for Clash of The Titans....yeah, I see what you mean. Some things though like The Kraken had to be done with CGI.

And yes, Emily was lovely. She really felt right at home in the movie, as if belonging in a period piece. And Sir Anthony is always a delight to watch playing bad guy.

I have to agree on both points. I found Gwen to actually be a more sympathetic character than Lawerence Talbot. And Sir Anthony Hopkins will go down in my book as one of the greatest lycanthrope villains in film history.

All in all, I happened to think that the script showed an unusal restrained and almost respect for a Hollywood production. All in all, it was good entertainment in my book.

You know, I probably would have enjoyed the film a lot more if I wasn't such a diehard fan of the original films. I guess my curse as a total Wolfman diehard fan is that I judge anything related to that film be it books or film far more harshly than I would otherwise.

Still, it really wasn't the film it should have been. I mean they had everything in place to make the film truly great. A real work of horror art. And it just felt short of all my hopes. Maybe I set my bar to high, but that's how I feel.

Whatever, I've said my piece.

Last edited by Reptile (2010-08-14 14:49:33)

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#452 2010-10-18 11:06:48

werewolfwriter
Website

Unfortunately this movie, which recently came out on DVD, is a real dog. Check out my review at http://freedomshammer.wordpress.com

#453 2010-10-18 13:50:09

Viergacht

werewolfwriter wrote:

Unfortunately this movie, which recently came out on DVD, is a real dog. Check out my review at http://freedomshammer.wordpress.com

Shameless self promotion much?

#454 2010-10-18 16:36:08

Reptile

werewolfwriter wrote:

Unless you have something to contribute that doesn't involve you spamming your blog GTFO,  troll.

Last edited by Reptile (2010-10-18 16:41:49)

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#455 2010-10-24 00:05:43

WolfMontana

Reptile wrote:

And Sir Anthony Hopkins will go down in my book as one of the greatest lycanthrope villains in film history.

... even though he looked like a manic stripping teddy bear?

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#456 2010-10-25 17:55:37

Reptile

WolfMontana wrote:

Reptile wrote:

And Sir Anthony Hopkins will go down in my book as one of the greatest lycanthrope villains in film history.

... even though he looked like a manic stripping teddy bear?

http://www.booleansoup.com/images/emoticons/eyeroll.gif

#457 2010-10-25 23:01:54

WolfMontana

As a human he was a very menacing Sir Anthony Hopkins, playing a character type he's played many times before. As a werewolf he was a stripping teddy bear with a bad attitude. wink Glad you enjoyed him though.

#458 2010-10-26 12:09:10

Viergacht

What the heck is a "stripping" teddy bear? I'm picturing a teddy bear doing a striptease, which I think (hope) is not what you mean, because if that's the case I don't think we saw the same movie.

#459 2010-10-26 20:49:42

WolfMontana

Sadly, I can't find an online example, though I'm sure someone else could.

When daddy werewolf ripped his shirt off, and exposed his paunchy furry belleh he looked like a teddy bear. Who just stripped. Hence the line 'stripping teddy bear'. It's towards the end of the movie, in the midst of the fire.

#460 2010-11-03 23:23:06

Reptile

WolfMontana wrote:

As a human he was a very menacing Sir Anthony Hopkins, playing a character type he's played many times before. As a werewolf he was a stripping teddy bear with a bad attitude. wink Glad you enjoyed him though.

Clearly I disagree and since this is the Internet, we MUST BATTLE TO THE DEATH!

HAVE AT THEE!

#461 2010-11-04 22:17:39

WolfMontana

*bonks you over the head with a flaming 'ftw'*

Board footer