The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-04 01:36:27

Vespertinus

A Basque interlude

As I was searching the past myth of my ancestors the Basque people I ran upon the legend the god of night, Gaueko. Part of it jumped out at me he was a wolf who walked upright, a possibility of a werewolf sighting? I don't know a lot about werewolves being a therian. Does anybody know more to the legend?

-No wonder I get along with dogs so well!

#2 2010-08-04 05:51:55

ShadowTrail

Re: A Basque interlude

Vespertinus wrote:

As I was searching the past myth of my ancestors the Basque people I ran upon the legend the god of night, Gaueko. Part of it jumped out at me he was a wolf who walked upright, a possibility of a werewolf sighting? I don't know a lot about werewolves being a therian. Does anybody know more to the legend?

It was a GOD. Never heard about God werewolf. Most so called *gods* can change their shape to one or more animals (Zeus), just because.

Gaueko is boring, and wolves are stupid, better learn about Sorginak!
From wikipedia

Sorginak often are said to transform themselves in animals, most commonly cats. These cats are sometimes said to bother pious women that do not wish to go the akelarre. It has also been recorded that they collected monetary fines from the people that did not wish to go to their ecstatic gatherings or those witches that absented themselves from them.

Here some more info on Basque Mythology >>> http://www.scribd.com/doc/19235950/Basque-Mythology

#3 2010-08-04 06:05:56

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

hmm wolve are not stupid....

And if strength is born from heartbreak,
Then mountains I could move.
And if walls could speak,
I pray that they would tell me what to do

#4 2010-08-05 04:36:09

ShadowTrail

UlfrAndi wrote:

Sorry UlfrAndi i dont want to offend you or anybody else. I was bit in a hurry, and use some wrong words.
But face it wolves are never shown as smart, cunning and inteligent animals, like  foxes, coyotes, raven and owl are.
Wolf is rather a "power" type animal, belongs more to berserker or warrior then tribe wiseman. So when wolves are not stupid (as totem, myths and IRL) , they are easly outsmarted by others animals. Hope this clarify something

#5 2010-08-05 06:06:44

Vespertinus

Yes thank you Shadow Trail that my entry is about a god of my ancestry. I have always loved myths and yes Zeus can turn himself and others into pretty much anything he wants to.  I am a wolf therian, thus the interest in this particular article from my history. Please while I do not accept you or anyone else to agree it is by any means interesting to anybody else, I do ask that you do not make such short standing of my ancestors gods and/or wolves. The non domesticated canid  is not a power animal it is a pack animal and is as intelligent, no matter how you quantify that, as it needs to be. Wolves are not out there to outsmart other animals but to survive. While I do have to applaud on you choices of groups for there variety, you also chose the other half of my ancestry. I ask that you remember there are all sorts of people out there.

#6 2010-08-31 09:43:55

Mitch01
Rising Angel

fascinating bloodline Vespertinus big_smile and sorry, i've never heard of such "god" but i do hope u get to find out more about it... have you spoken to anyone in ur family about the subject?

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#7 2010-09-01 20:49:19

Vespertinus

Thank you but no, my family has been in the USA for 400 years and it has worn down the legends till they started converting to Christianity. All we know is what is discovered or told to us.

#8 2010-09-01 22:24:12

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

ShadowTrail wrote:

UlfrAndi wrote:

Sorry UlfrAndi i dont want to offend you or anybody else. I was bit in a hurry, and use some wrong words.
But face it wolves are never shown as smart, cunning and inteligent animals, like  foxes, coyotes, raven and owl are.
Wolf is rather a "power" type animal, belongs more to berserker or warrior then tribe wiseman. So when wolves are not stupid (as totem, myths and IRL) , they are easly outsmarted by others animals. Hope this clarify something

Sorry to bring this portion of the topic back, but I had to express my two sense.   

As for the intelligence of Wolves, vs other creatures, I would suggest reading a book on animal behavior as the notions that  Shadow Tail discuss are simply the personification of creatures within human mythologies, and tales, such as Grimm's Fairytales and can't protest anything to the intelligence of the actual living animal.   

Also recently I was reading some articles and a book (Of Wolves and Men) that expressed how Wolves are in someways have similar to humans than even our closest biological relatives, the Chimpanzees, as they have shockingly similar social systems, an example of which is their hunting system which is exactly the system used by humans before firearms.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#9 2010-09-02 11:51:09

ShadowTrail

Vindicator wrote:

Sorry to bring this portion of the topic back, but I had to express my two sense.   

As for the intelligence of Wolves, vs other creatures, I would suggest reading a book on animal behavior as the notions that  Shadow Tail discuss are simply the personification of creatures within human mythologies, and tales, such as Grimm's Fairytales and can't protest anything to the intelligence of the actual living animal.   

Also recently I was reading some articles and a book (Of Wolves and Men) that expressed how Wolves are in someways have similar to humans than even our closest biological relatives, the Chimpanzees, as they have shockingly similar social systems, an example of which is their hunting system which is exactly the system used by humans before firearms.

Hey im allways eager to discus this topics too (real animal inteligence. Maybe you should open a new thread for this? Im not really sure where this should go :p)
The most scientific book about this i ever read is >> Animal Minds
And not long ago very good essay about animal inteligence was published  in Times >> you can read it Here

I never read "Of Wolves and Man" cos it was not released here -.-' Sound interesting

#10 2010-09-02 12:10:08

Mitch01
Rising Angel

Vespertinus wrote:

Thank you but no, my family has been in the USA for 400 years and it has worn down the legends till they started converting to Christianity. All we know is what is discovered or told to us.

wow...i'm sorry to hear that sad...i find it so fascinating that even tho the legend is weak, it's still being told.  i wish i could help....i'll ask my mom or my grandma if they have heard or read about it.

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#11 2010-09-02 12:13:12

Mitch01
Rising Angel

Vindicator wrote:

ShadowTrail wrote:

UlfrAndi wrote:

i didn't know that, but there's a documentary that i think history or discovery channel did called "And man made dog" and it starts out about wolves and humans being linked.  i didn't get to see it, but i can def check the book that u read smile

Board footer