The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-03-01 23:03:14

HazzyRap

Re: SUPPORTERS, gather with me on this one (IMPORTANT: The Wolfman (2010)

Hell yeah! I'd sign it. I still have it as my wallpaper for my desktop- can't forget that movie.

#27 2010-03-02 20:43:11

Werecat
Website

So, has anyone made this petition yet? A sequel needs to be done! I'll even start it if needed, but I would need help getting the word around.

WerewolfImmortal wrote:

mORE people are going to need to comment not the same three posting over and over. I hope there's a sequel but everyoen's gonna have to watch this movie more than once b/c usually sequels need to dooooooo a lot more than the production (85 mll) and marketing costs. So I think it needs to get to 120 mill, unless everyone's willing to do a sequel b/c they like it. Now Twilight Saga has done REALLY WEll. It cost what 50 million and is on it's way to making 800 million from theater sales. Adn dvd sales will be high also, so yeah everyone should watch this, I brought my friends to see Twilight and then I saw it twice again with my cousin.

The Wolfman has now made $121,060,115 worldwide. And please, the only reason Pussypires has made so much is due to it's rabid fans repeatedly viewing over and over. Box Office ≠ Movie Quality.

Last edited by Werecat (2010-03-02 20:43:48)

#28 2010-03-03 01:11:10

Delta Wolfman

http://www.petitiononline.com/

start it up. I'll do my part. Facebook, twitter. The usual places.

#29 2010-03-03 10:00:21

Rogue
Lunatic

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/wolfman2/

Here's a petition I made up for the sequel. Feel free to give me suggestions, by the way.
SPREAD THE WORD!

WARNING: IF YOU CAN'T TAKE A JOKE . . . STAY AWAY FROM ME!
"I'm not in a bad mood. I'm practically sociable."
"All I know is that it hurts like hell, and as soon as I can get off this floor I'm gonna find that bastard and kill him!"
http://running-rogue.deviantart.com/      http://www.facebook.com/supergayadventures

#30 2010-03-06 00:15:59

Minty

Signed! Here's hoping someone over at Universal actually gives a damn about petitions.

"They flee from me, that sometime did me seek/With naked foot stalking within my chamber./Once have I seen them gentle, tame, and meek/That now are wild and do not once remember/That sometime they have put themselves in danger/To take bread at my hand; and now they range,/Busily seeking in continual change."--Thomas Wyatt, The Lover Showeth How He Is Forsaken of Such as He Sometime Enjoyed

#31 2010-03-06 07:29:39

alphanubilus

Actually folks, petitions, don't do squat in Hollywood, sales figures do. If the Wolfman does remotely well, such as the Underworld franchise, while never blowing away the box office, did well enough to merit a second, third, and now a forth outing, they will make a sequel. However, thus far the Wolfman has only garnered just a little over $50 million, and when you consider its budget was somewhere around 80 to 90 million... they've lost money. They will do well to break even. Now granted they will probably make at least some of their money back once DVD/ Blu-Rays sales generate, but I don't think this will merit them to pursue the current franchise. Folks, being in the Hollywood business, I've yet to see an online petition sway any producer to change his or her mind. While the thought is noble, I strongly doubt it will get you anywhere...

Universal's best bet, is to wait a few years, and then try it again... This way they can avoid all the plot pitfall's of the first story, and make up their mind as to what werewolf design best delivers the story they are trying to tell. In short to give us a two-legged human looking werewolf and then CGI him and make him run on all fours for the entire story. A. It doesn't look right, and B. werewolf that actually looked like... well... a wolf... would have served that purpose better.

#32 2010-03-06 16:42:08

WereWolfH

alphanubilus wrote:

Actually folks, petitions, don't do squat in Hollywood, sales figures do. If the Wolfman does remotely well, such as the Underworld franchise, while never blowing away the box office, did well enough to merit a second, third, and now a forth outing, they will make a sequel. However, thus far the Wolfman has only garnered just a little over $50 million, and when you consider its budget was somewhere around 80 to 90 million... they've lost money. They will do well to break even. Now granted they will probably make at least some of their money back once DVD/ Blu-Rays sales generate, but I don't think this will merit them to pursue the current franchise. Folks, being in the Hollywood business, I've yet to see an online petition sway any producer to change his or her mind. While the thought is noble, I strongly doubt it will get you anywhere...

Universal's best bet, is to wait a few years, and then try it again... This way they can avoid all the plot pitfall's of the first story, and make up their mind as to what werewolf design best delivers the story they are trying to tell. In short to give us a two-legged human looking werewolf and then CGI him and make him run on all fours for the entire story. A. It doesn't look right, and B. werewolf that actually looked like... well... a wolf... would have served that purpose better.

yeah but that's why he was given wolf legs, so he could run on all fours. Underworld generated a lot of money which guaranteed a sequel. The sequel did even better (though it wasn't as good as the first), and now you say there's a 4th movie!! That'd be cool.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#33 2010-03-06 17:28:40

Minty

WereWolfH wrote:

alphanubilus wrote:

yeah but that's why he was given wolf legs, so he could run on all fours. Underworld generated a lot of money which guaranteed a sequel. The sequel did even better (though it wasn't as good as the first), and now you say there's a 4th movie!! That'd be cool.

Actually, what will probably help is the DVD sales figures.  There are loads of movies that they kept making sequels for because they did well as DVDs.  Granted, that will mean incredibly low budgets, but if the plot's solid, maybe it'll be worth it.

And they've made their money back already--$126, 005, 568, domestic and foreign box offices combined.  Not a huge profit, but a profit nonetheless.

"They flee from me, that sometime did me seek/With naked foot stalking within my chamber./Once have I seen them gentle, tame, and meek/That now are wild and do not once remember/That sometime they have put themselves in danger/To take bread at my hand; and now they range,/Busily seeking in continual change."--Thomas Wyatt, The Lover Showeth How He Is Forsaken of Such as He Sometime Enjoyed

#34 2010-03-06 23:58:17

KCat

Minty wrote:

And they've made their money back already--$126, 005, 568, domestic and foreign box offices combined.  Not a huge profit, but a profit nonetheless.

Oddly enough, Van Helsing also made its money back (it made $300m worldwide, almost double its production cost of $160m), but nobody wanted to touch a sequel, or the planned TV series. The TV series even wanted to reuse some of the more elaborate sets from the movie, instead of letting them be destroyed.

#35 2010-03-07 09:27:03

alphanubilus

Both Wolfman and Van Helsing suffered much the same issues.... It started out with disagreements with the foundation of what the story was about... When they couldn't nail the story, they tried to circumvent with design, but because the foundation of the story was flawed, the design fails. With Van Helsing they tried to overwhelm the audiance with epic effects, but they ended up being more cartoony than G.I. Joe, and while there were some truly amazing moments, the over all package was a let down. With the Wolfman, Universal was divided into two groups, one who supported the original design of the werewolf, and one who wanted a more feral design... They continuously argued about the subject matter, instead of focusing on the shortcomings of the script. When the original test screening failed to capture the imagination of the audiance, they tried to feral up the design by making it run on all fours, and then went over the top with gore... HOWEVER, no matter how pretty you make it look, you can't cover up an entirely flawed experience.

If I was a Universal exec... I wouldn't want to sequel either Van Helsing or Wolfman... Sequels very rarely are better than the first movie, and you would still have to either find ways to get around the lupe holes (har har) of the first stories, or circumvent them completely.

In short, I think they will do what Sony is going with Spider-Man (Sam Raimi your such a dick for murdering Venum!), what Warner Bros is doing for Superman (Superman does NOT have an illegitment kid!), and so on and so forth.

If Universal learns their lesson, within the next year or so, they could reboot their monster franchise with an entire new staff, and hopefully they will actuall follow the Curt Siodmak story this time around. By doing this, they can avoid the pitfalls of the earlier film and focus on telling a new story from the ground up.

#36 2010-03-08 02:36:40

Minty

alphanubilus wrote:

If Universal learns their lesson, within the next year or so, they could reboot their monster franchise with an entire new staff, and hopefully they will actuall follow the Curt Siodmak story this time around. By doing this, they can avoid the pitfalls of the earlier film and focus on telling a new story from the ground up.

Oh, god.  Not another remake of a remake. . .

#37 2010-03-08 11:05:20

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

To be honest I don't think there should be a sequel. Hollywood needs to quit with all these unnecessary (and often worse) remakes of movies and actually concentrate on generating new ideas. I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting sick of the lack of creativity and the reproduction of classic movies which aren't as good as the classics continually being made just to generate revenue. So far I haven't seen a SINGLE remake I've been glad about, and some of them (e.g. The Wicker Man remake, The Italian Job remake) suck so bad you just want to slap every member of the production team.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#38 2010-03-08 23:33:52

HazzyRap

Rogue wrote:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/wolfman2/

Here's a petition I made up for the sequel. Feel free to give me suggestions, by the way.
SPREAD THE WORD!

I gotta say it's not working for me, I keep getting an error screen...

Yes, I know petitions (especially online ones) don't mean a damn thing to Universal. Only one thing will get them interested, and that's cash. Looking at the figures, although it didn't BOMB at the box office, it didn't do as well as it should have. The trailers looked spectacular, and I think it was released ABOUT at the right time, when werewolves are starting to be the "IN" thing again. However, I think the biggest problem was it being released on Valentine's Day! I mean, seriously? They were just setting themselves up for that one. I remember going to see it opening night, and it was already at the end of the hall in my theater, where the movies that have been there for weeks normally head. The small theater was packed, but still crazy small for a movie on opening night. The main theater, the one this flick SHOULD have premiered in? Valentine's Day. Next to it? Dear John. Oh God, the vomit's coming up in my throat...

Of course it wouldn't stand a chance! I'm one of those rare chicks that hates romance flicks, and I was one of few single woman in that place, I can tell you that. Everyone made a beeline for that crap film with Taylor Laudner (sp) in it. Which of course did well. It got lost in the shuffle. I easily think the film would be doing better had it been released right about now. Yes, I know that it would make a good "alternative" movie for men to go see when they don't have a date or what-have-you, but for serious...I've never seen a single man hit the theaters, especially not on Valentine's Day.

Like it was said, this film will do better on DVD/Blu-Ray. I know it's a day-one purchase for me. I really don't think the film was THAT flawed, I think it deserves a lot of credit for the setting and general atmosphere, which were my favorite parts of the movie to begin with. Not to mention what it was able to accomplish with such a F-ed up development.

I can see a sequel, but only if it does well on DVD. Hollywood tends to stick with what it knows rather then do something original, but as far as I'm concerned? There are no original stories anymore. I really want to see a continuation of the story. I'm curious to know what's happening with Universal right now, if they consider this a succsess or not. I'm not sure what they expected of it, as it seems that being released when it was...It's almost like they were saying "F it, get it out already..."

#39 2010-03-10 01:57:22

Delta Wolfman

ShadyHowl wrote:

To be honest I don't think there should be a sequel. Hollywood needs to quit with all these unnecessary (and often worse) remakes of movies and actually concentrate on generating new ideas. I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting sick of the lack of creativity and the reproduction of classic movies which aren't as good as the classics continually being made just to generate revenue. So far I haven't seen a SINGLE remake I've been glad about, and some of them (e.g. The Wicker Man remake, The Italian Job remake) suck so bad you just want to slap every member of the production team.

Both Dracula and Frankenstein(the originals) were both based on books/stage plays.

Where does this whole "Hollywood generating new ideas" thing come from?

#40 2010-03-25 17:53:49

Roi Doberwolf
Pleasantville resident
Website

alphanubilus wrote:

If I was a Universal exec... I wouldn't want to sequel either Van Helsing or Wolfman... Sequels very rarely are better than the first movie

On this I agree. Seldom do I see a decent sequel these days. Years ago, writers knew what they were doing on both the sequel and the original.
Beats me what happened there, but Wolfman left itself WIDE open for a second with that ending and you can't deny that.

"Man is not a beast. Compared to man, beast are angels. Do they kill their own for the sake of killing?
Do they worship Satan? Man wrecks, and ravages, and calls the devil. But unlike beasts, and unlike angels...
Man can cry, and confess, and repent. Change, and begin again. GIVE THE DEVIL HELL!"

#41 2010-03-27 21:44:30

Minty

Roi Doberwolf wrote:

Wolfman left itself WIDE open for a second with that ending and you can't deny that.

I think most action filmmakers are doing that these days, what with the huge success of franchises.  Doesn't mean one is going to be made, though!

#42 2010-03-28 19:14:07

Roi Doberwolf
Pleasantville resident
Website

Minty wrote:

Doesn't mean one is going to be made, though!

Indeed it does not.

...but it should.

"Man is not a beast. Compared to man, beast are angels. Do they kill their own for the sake of killing?
Do they worship Satan? Man wrecks, and ravages, and calls the devil. But unlike beasts, and unlike angels...
Man can cry, and confess, and repent. Change, and begin again. GIVE THE DEVIL HELL!"

#43 2010-06-10 19:25:56

silvermoon21

A sequel would be awesome.

Give them nothing...  Take from them everything
The journey is the reward.

#44 2010-06-11 22:45:53

WereWolfH

what would they do that's different? I thought it was BRILLIANT wink wink to fans of a potential sequel. (I wonder if Brad Pitt will be in the sequel or some other big celeb and then they could head the third movie) I thought it was corny b/c everyone figured out Benicio but no one had a clue that the dude got bitten at the end.

#45 2010-10-18 11:12:49

werewolfwriter
Website

Sorry, but the "Wolfman" remake was a stinker. See my review at http://freedomshammer.wordpress.com

#46 2010-10-18 13:25:41

zockereinstein

werewolfwriter wrote:

Sorry, but the "Wolfman" remake was a stinker. See my review at http://freedomshammer.wordpress.com

No need to apologize, it's just your review what stinks.... Sorry for the joke, but your review is just that, an opinion. I liked the movie even though I expected something better considering the relation quality/budget. But at least you can enjoy watching it.

#47 2010-10-18 21:16:49

WereWolfH

silvermoon21 wrote:

A sequel would be awesome.

any news on a sequel?

Board footer