"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#27 2010-11-01 01:43:46

blackjack60
Website

Re: Red

A weird film. The end had sort of toughness and shock to it that was admirable, but Red's family tended to drag on screen. And though I like having werewolves as horrific villains, I felt rather bad for most of the werewolves in the film (aside from their leader), who in human form seem to be pathetic, oppressed people who've suffered a genocidal campaign of extermination and were driven to make the big but understandable mistake of turning to the villain to fight against their oppressors.
As for the special effects, I'm afraid that TV-budget CGI will never work as well as prosthetics. It looks too slick, facile, and unsubstantial. There were some decent transformations, but nothing oustanding.

Last edited by blackjack60 (2010-11-01 01:44:55)

#28 2010-11-01 08:31:28

Mitch01
Rising Angel

i kinda like... i hated the ending, it was dumb... and yeah i felt bad for some werewolves. the effects were not that bad but of course bc it's a cable movie not much u can do.  i would have liked to see her BF fight the leader instead of her doing a so-called-selene-on-crack fighting but what can u do, it is what it is.

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#29 2010-11-01 10:54:32

Viergacht

blackjack60 wrote:

A weird film. The end had sort of toughness and shock to it that was admirable, but Red's family tended to drag on screen. And though I like having werewolves as horrific villains, I felt rather bad for most of the werewolves in the film (aside from their leader), who in human form seem to be pathetic, oppressed people who've suffered a genocidal campaign of extermination and were driven to make the big but understandable mistake of turning to the villain to fight against their oppressors.
As for the special effects, I'm afraid that TV-budget CGI will never work as well as prosthetics. It looks too slick, facile, and unsubstantial. There were some decent transformations, but nothing oustanding.

How did it end? I'm afraid I passed out about a half hour before it ended, but up until then I felt bad for the werewolves for exactly the reason you stated. I think a movie from their POV would have been much more interesting.

Board footer