The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-19 09:47:31

Potninja

Werewolf Horror Novels?

Does anyone know where I can find a straight up, scare-your-pants-off werewolf book? Something in which the werewolf is not the protagonist or the antagonist, but a feral, cunning creature based on instinct. I'm looking for something set in the present day, possibly in a suburban setting. It's just that I'm about to write a book on "real" werewolves, and I need to read some good werewolf novels so I can get an idea of what I'm writing.

#2 2010-07-26 00:30:28

PenningtonBeast

Re: Werewolf Horror Novels?

try "The Hyde Effect" by Steve Vance

#3 2010-07-28 17:28:09

Potninja

I've read that one already. In fact, that was the only one I could find that is remotely close to what I'm looking for. Everything else is either Twilight or one of those retarded werewolf romance books.

#4 2010-08-04 00:44:09

Anselgrey23

I would recommend to read  The Crimson Moon Series Horror Books by L. A. Banks  in this series Sasha Trudeau is a highly trained government sponsored black ops agent who, like others of her unit, survived a werewolf attack. She works for the government keeping the paranormal world hidden from ordinary people.
Following are four series of this book
1 Bad Blood
2 Bite the Bullet
3 Undead on Arrival
4 Cursed to Death

#5 2010-08-05 17:56:20

PenningtonBeast

Only the first two books in the Crimson Moon series have an element of horror to them, from then on out it becomes a boring paranormal romance series.

Here's some more books you might be interested in:

"Bestial:Werewolf Apocalypse" by William D. Carl
"Ravenous" and "Bestial" by Ray Garton
"Wolf's Trap," "Wolf's Gambit," and "Wolf's Bluff" by W.D. Gagliani
"Shapeshifter" by J. F. Gonzalez
"Maneater" and "Prey" by Thomas Emson
"The Sticks" by Andy Deane

Try some of those.

And stay away from Patricia Briggs' novels, there's not much horror to those either.

#6 2010-08-05 23:30:02

ArcLight
Website

I only made it thru the first half of first Crimson Moon novel before I gave up on it. Seemed like a boring paranormal romance right out of the gate to me.

I'll second these...

"Ravenous" and "Bestial" by Ray Garton
"Wolf's Trap," "Wolf's Gambit," and "Wolf's Bluff" by W.D. Gagliani
"Shapeshifter" by J. F. Gonzalez

Then I'll go look up the others PenningtonBeast mentioned myself.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#7 2010-08-06 02:28:32

CrimsonRiver
Enigmatic Unwonted

Any of the World of Darkness books for the tabletop RP Werewolf games are usually pretty good. I know that Werewolf: the Apocalypse books tend to have stories and even a comic in them, whereas Werewolf: the Forsaken books just have the stories.

Humanity is dust, within humility's splendor. I offer you the emptiness which you seek. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind.

If bullshit were music, you'd be a big brass band.

#8 2010-10-05 11:59:03

Ragna Moonlight

You could check out the novel "The Howling" by Gary Bradner. This was written in the 1970's and it's quite a good, scary horror story in the traditonal sense. Following the novel came the successful Howling movies and they are based loosely on the book.

There are a lot of other werewolf novels for you to look for. Werewolf novels from the Shapeshifter Emporium

Last edited by Ragna Moonlight (2010-10-05 12:02:17)

#9 2010-11-16 12:14:11

Warchildsilver

I was doing the same thing and stumbled across an anthology called 'The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men' - a series of short stories by a long list of different authors.  The styles range in POV of the protagonist, style of werewolf and tone of the story so you might (as I did) find one or several stories in the book that resonate with you.

Hope this helps!

*They were always here.  I just unlocked the door.*

#10 2010-11-17 16:01:33

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

I have to second Warchildsilver's recommendation.  "The Mammoth Book of Wolfmen" has an excellent selection of tales such as ones ranging from the classic werewolf tale, to more modern twists, and others that would fall under the exact nature of what you are looking for.  When I have a moment I'll flip through it and see if I can't find a specific tale that would fit.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

Board footer