The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-05 21:00:07

Lupa

Werewolf Books with no Romance

It seems like every werewolf book I saw when I went to the book store last was angst this, romance that.
What are Werewolves becoming in fiction? Vampires?!

Anyway, I'd just like something where the Werewolf is the protagonist (male please, I have no interest in reading about females) and (preferably) more on the sadistic side. Likes to hunt, likes to fight, things like that. The closest thing I've ever found for what I'm looking for is the manga 'Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest' so use that as a reference I suppose.

I generally don't like romance in the things I read, you know.

Thanks in advance~

Dead I am the Dog, Hound of Hell you Cry
Devil on your Back, I can never Die

#2 2010-10-06 02:01:11

Viergacht

Re: Werewolf Books with no Romance

"Wolf's Hour" by Robert McCammon. There's a bit of loving by it's by no means a romance. The main character is kidnapped as a little boy by a pack of werewolves who dwell in a Russian forest. The story switches between him growing up as a feral member of the pack, and his present life as a Nazi-punching super secret agent in WW2.

"Hair of the Dog" by Brett Ellis. Set in a world where supernatural creatures are "out", but people still view werewolves with deep suspicion. On the eve of announcing a cure for lycanthropy, one of the scientists involved in the project is messily slaughtered, werewolf-rights groups clash with anti-werewolf protesters, and the main character, a teen actor who stars in cheap horror films, gets mixed up with a guy who claims to be the salvation of the werewolf species.

#3 2010-10-06 14:57:57

Lupa

Ouuu~~ They both sound really good! I'll look into them, thank you! ^^

#4 2010-10-07 13:28:55

leighcanthrope

I can also recommend "Wolf's Hour". It's been quite some years since I read it, but I remember it leaving a very good impression on me. Kind of a werewolf James Bond novel, but with a littlle extra.

I myself liked "The Werewolf Principle" by Clifford Simak. It's a science-fiction story about a being with multiple personalities, one of which is sort of a (were)wolf. You have to keep an open mind as to what you consider a werewolf I guess, but I liked it a lot.

Was also pleasantly surprised by the Howling-novels by Gary Bradner. In the first two the protagonist is not a werewolf, but the werewolves are important charachters in the story (as oposed to just being 'a monster'). In the third one, the protagonist is a young werewolf in a traveling circus. Don't be put off by the films (if you should know them); the books are quite different.

Homo homini lupus est...

#5 2010-10-09 10:59:29

Daninsky
Website

Guy N. Smith's series of werewolf books should be worth tracking down for you.
Werewolf by Moonlight (1974)
Return of the Werewolf (1976)
The Son of the Werewolf (1978)

Also the Universal Monsters series:
Return of the Wolf Man by Jeff Rovin    Berkley Boulevard
The Devil's Night by David Jacobs    Berkley Boulevard
Devil's Brood by David Jacobs        Berkley Boulevard

"Ravenous" and "Bestial" by Ray Garton also sound like they would be right up your alley.

Guy Endore's "Werewolf of Paris" perhaps, although it features some angst and romance.

Last edited by Daninsky (2010-10-09 11:06:50)

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#6 2010-10-09 18:05:36

Lupa

Thanks, guys, I'll be sure to check them all out~~

#7 2010-10-12 19:00:41

harbormoon

If you're into comics/graphic novels - check out HARBOR MOON.  www.harbor-moon.com

It's what you are looking for in terms of story/characters.  Because of NY Comic-con, it is available for $15 - no S&H for the next two weeks (ends October 24).  After that If you email me at ryan@harbor-moon.com and mention werewolfcafe I'll send you $5 off (it comes out to $17.70).

#8 2010-10-16 21:29:21

Reptile

harbormoon wrote:

If you're into comics/graphic novels - check out HARBOR MOON.  www.harbor-moon.com

It's what you are looking for in terms of story/characters.  Because of NY Comic-con, it is available for $15 - no S&H for the next two weeks (ends October 24).  After that If you email me at ryan@harbor-moon.com and mention werewolfcafe I'll send you $5 off (it comes out to $17.70).

Well, can't blame a guy got selling his product. I'm interested.

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#9 2010-11-28 01:41:01

Lupa

Viergacht wrote:

"Wolf's Hour" by Robert McCammon. There's a bit of loving by it's by no means a romance. The main character is kidnapped as a little boy by a pack of werewolves who dwell in a Russian forest. The story switches between him growing up as a feral member of the pack, and his present life as a Nazi-punching super secret agent in WW2.

"Hair of the Dog" by Brett Ellis. Set in a world where supernatural creatures are "out", but people still view werewolves with deep suspicion. On the eve of announcing a cure for lycanthropy, one of the scientists involved in the project is messily slaughtered, werewolf-rights groups clash with anti-werewolf protesters, and the main character, a teen actor who stars in cheap horror films, gets mixed up with a guy who claims to be the salvation of the werewolf species.

Do you have any idea where I might find the second? Or where did you hear about it? Because I Googled the heck out of it and found nothing.

#10 2010-11-28 15:12:32

SmasherWolf

The book "Hair of the Dog" is from Brett Davis
i found it on Amazon, looks really good!

Board footer