The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-21 23:16:54

LunaCat
Website

Battle in Darkness

i've redone my website and Story. This time it's going to be alot better. I just hope my writing is better.
I also changed the title name, now if I can only change the thread name.
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/CoalWerwolf/CoalBanner.jpg

This story isn't really about werewolves but about a Welden Wolf and an unusual being who prefers to be called, Boss.

The Story takes place in a town call Juston where Coal, a rare speices of wolf, meet werewolves. He learns of a great war with werecats that has been going on for centuries killing werewolves a little at a time. After making friends, Coal is forced to join the war and help put an end to it once and for all. The Boss behind the attacks wants them all dead before he can continue with his plan.

Prologue

Coal raced through the forest, leaves flew high in the air like dust. His four paws moved as fast as he could, his heart thumped hard with worry. His tong hung out of his mouth to catch the cool night air.

"Got to hurry," Coal kept repeating.

A three-story brick building peaked over-the-top of the trees, he knew he was getting close. Something white sparkled ahead of him. As he got closer he realized it was a fence with the moon's light bouncing off it. Coal jumped the fence that was as tall as him, easily clearing the bar along the top. He landed on the freshly cut grass and dash across the yard to the building. He stood on his hind legs to raise the tall window but it was locked. He tried the next window but it too was locked for the night. Coal's tail half curled under him, desperate to get in the building. He decided he had no choice but to walk through the front door. He hoped the night guard wasn't walking close to the door.
He walked to the corner of the building peaking under the bush for any signs of human around but there was no one. The parking lot was empty except for two cars. He crept along the grass still being cautious. When he reached the steps his ears perked forward, his blue eyes grew large in surprise, the double doors wide open. The doors had never left opened at night. Coal crept up the stairs through the double doors and jumped at the sight of a dead human in the hall. His chest had four deep scratches, the floor had a partly visible paw prints in blood. Coal swallowed hard wondering what had attacked the human. His thoughts quickly reminded him of why he was here.

"Dad," Coal muttered worriedly.

He ran through the halls till he came to a set of stairs. He hurried up the stairs skipping a few steps at a time. When he reached the third floor, a loud crash echoed through the hall, then a man's scream. Coal's eyes widen suddenly as he recognized the scream instantly.

"Dad!" Coal shouted.

The door to his father's room had been torn like small pieces paper, laying in the hall. Coal ran to the door when he felt the floor's tremor. Something huge was leaving the room.

"Run," a shaky and weak voice said.

A loud roar echoed through the building, then a large head appeared through the doorway, its eyes glowing red.

Coal jumped awake from his dream. His was panting hard, his paws had torn the sheet under him. A loud knock startled Coal, at first he thought the large creature was still coming for him.

"Coal, get up all ready!" His mother's voice yelled through the door.

Coal relaxed, feeling revealed that he had been dreaming.

"Coal!" yelled the mother.

"I'm up!" He shouted back.

"Ok, hurry up and change, your breakfast is getting cold."

Coal hopped onto the floor, from his bed and walked to the dresser. He stood on his hind legs, resting his front legs on the dresser. He concentrated on changing, at first nothing happened then he felt his ears and fur shrink. The three white stripes on his back started to darken. His legs became straighter, his face shrunk but his S shaped scare remained over his eye. His tail shrunk till it was completely gone. He opened his dresser, running his fingers through the clothes he wanted to wear. His black and brown tipped bangs fell in all directions, reveling an S shaped scar over his eye. He put on his clothes and hurried out the door.

Last edited by LunaCat (2011-01-04 23:23:02)

#2 2010-07-21 23:43:13

KidWerewolf36

Re: Battle in Darkness

Cool story. I'm curious about the dad (was it a dream or was that a glimpse into the future....)

the name Coal? Hmmmm did you mean that or did you mean it spelled Cole (as it usually is spelled)

The werecats, I see on your website the werewolves are the wolf versions so what will the cats look like? Wolf sized cats? just curious.

sounds great, keep it up and I think you spelled "tongue" wrong somewhere

#3 2010-07-22 02:40:04

LunaCat
Website

Thanks for the spelling. I wasn't too sure i had the correct spelling.
The werecats are pretty big. ^.^

#4 2010-07-22 12:51:26

Darkwolf117

I like the story. I was also checking out some of the other things you have through your website. I like your artwork, I must say. Werewolf Coal looks awesome in anatomy and coloration. And your werecats are scary big! lol That wasn't my expectation when I heard the term werecat, but it looks good wink

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more of this. Sounds like it's gonna be pretty sweet smile

#5 2010-08-20 02:26:57

LunaCat
Website

Chapter 1: First day of School

Coal walked down the steps to the main floor and through the hall to the kitchen. Three boxes sat by the kitchen doorway partially opened. His mother, Susan, was taking glass cups out of a box and placing it in the cupboard. Coal watched her for a moment as he took his seat at a round table by the wall. On the table sat three french toast and a syrup with a glass of orange juice.

"I see you finally got up," Susan said, taking more glasses out of the box.

Coal didn't reply, he didn't have the energy to say anything, nor did he care to. He took his fork and began eating his french toast. Susan looked at him annoyed that he didn't say a word to her.

"Well, good-morning to you too," Susan hinted and continued to unpack.

"I'm just tired," Coal finally muttered.

"Humm?" Susan asked while taking her dishes out of the box.

"I'm tired," Coal exclaimed, "Staying up late to unpack didn't help."

"I told you to finish it tomorrow. It's not my fault you got to bed late," Susan explained.

She turned from the counter to get another box when she noticed the clock on the wall.

"Oh, look at the time. Finish your breakfast, Coal. He have to be leaving or we'll be late for school," Susan told him. She left the kitchen and hurried to the living room down the hall.

"What's the hurry?" Coal asked, "we have plenty of time."

Susan walked out of the living room with her messenger bag on her shoulder and her purse on the other shoulder. She entered the kitchen. Coal finished half of his toast when his mother approached him. She looked eager to go to school, Coal wasn't to thrilled about going though.

"Have you forgotten what's it like getting to school? I want to be there before the buses arrive, so lets get going," Susan replied. She turned from Coal and left the kitchen, "Come on."

"All right, I'm coming!" Coal shouted.

Coal took his plate to the counter by the sink and left the kitchen. He went to the living room where two boxes sat on the couch. A black backpack sat by the living room entrance. He swung his backpack over his shoulder and went outside. Susan locked the door and followed him to her red car. She placed her messenger bag on the backseat and sat in the front seat. Before she backed the car to the street, she noticed Coal's pouting face.

"Cheer up Coal. Maybe you'll make some friends this time," Susan commented and drove the car out of the driveway.

"I've been doing just fine without friends," Coal declared looking out the window.

As the car stopped at the main road, Coal looked at his mother, no longer showing his pouting face.

"I wish I could be home schooled like before," Coal commented.

"You know why you can't. Your father died two years ago-" Susan began to explain.

"Forget I said anything," Coal interrupted, looking out the window again.

Susan pulled out into the main street and drove through town, she glancing at Coal a few times.

"I'm sorry Coal but I don't have time to home school you. I have to spend my time paying the bills," Susan explained. She sigh, catching a glimpse of Coal trying to ignore her.

Susan drove the car into the parking lot that sat by the two story school building. Coal was taking in all the new sights and sounds through the window. The buses hadn't arrive yet and a few kids were walking up the sidewalk along the parking lot.

"This looks like a good spot," Susan commented.

She parked the car close to the building and got out of the car. Coal left the car, swung his backpack over his shoulder and started to leave.

"Coal, wait," Susan exclaimed but Coal was ignoring her.

Susan grabbed her messenger bag, locked her car doors and rushed to catch up to Coal. She laid her hand on his shoulder and stopped him.

"Coal!" Scolded Susan, "What's gotten into you?"

Susan knew what was bothering Coal but she wanted to hear it from him. Unfortunately, no mater how hard she tried Coal would never speak of his father.

"Forget it. It is our first day of school and the buses will be here soon," Susan told him. "Do you have your schedule?"

"Yes," Coal replied, turning to look at her.

"Well, get it out. You're going to need it," Susan told him.

Coal slid his backpack onto his arm and unzipped the small pocket. He took out a folded piece of paper and held it up to her.

"Can you find your locker and class without me?" Susan asked her.

"Yes. I have had plenty of practice for two years," Coal remained her.

"Yeah, I...guess you have," Susan hesitated to say.
Coal and his mother began walking again, following the sidewalk to a set of stairs and into the building.

"Now I wrote my class number on your paper in-case you need me for some reason," Susan told him. She bent down to his ear that was partially cover with his brown tipped bangs. "Stay out of trouble and be careful. I don't want to move again."

"Fine. See you later," Coal replied and left his mother.

The halls echoed with slapping of shoes and whisperings. He past a couple of kids roaming the halls and a teacher rushing to class with an arm full of papers. He turned down another hall and saw a row of blue lockers. Coal paused for a moment to look at his schedule. His locker number was printed at the top of his paper.

"205," Coal muttered.

He began walking and checking all the lockers but the numbers were all to high. He turned another corner with and saw more lockers painted red but none of them had his number. As he past the boy's bathroom he heard several voices.

"Please," The voice begged, "I don't have any money."

"Lets show this miserable looser what happens if you don't bring your fee," another voice crackled.

Coal hurried to the corner of the hall and poked his head out to hear the boy in the bathroom wailing for help. Coal couldn't help the boy, his mother had warned him to stay out of trouble. A few minutes had past and the bathroom suddenly became quiet. Coal wondered what happened to the boy and was about to go look when the door opened.

"What a looser," A voice laughed.

"Greg, lets see if our favorite money boy has some fees for us," another voice suggested.

Coal turned from the corner and walked quickly down the hall trying to get as far as possible before Greg notice him. He didn't want to be Greg's next victim. Coal stopped halfway down the hall and realized Greg and his two friends were going in the opposite direction.

"That was close," Coal muttered.

He looked to his right and noticed the row of green lockers, many were close to his number. Coal followed the numbers till he came to 205 across from the door leading to the courtyard. He opened his locker, took out his lunch bag and sat it in the top-shelf. Coal closed the locker and began walking down the hall. He glanced at his schedule and wondered where his first-class was. He didn't feel like wasting his time searching so he stopped the first kid he saw.

"Wait," Coal called to her.

The browned haired girl stopped and turned.

"Where is Mrs. Gilmer's classroom?" Coal asked.

"Upstairs," The girl answered, pointing to the stairs at the end of the hall.

Coal walked to the stairs and went up the steps, he can still hear Greg and his two friends looking for the money boy. Whoever the money boy was, Coal was glad it wasn't him. He hurried up the steps and walked down the hall looking at the numbers on the doors. He soon came to a door matching the numbers on his paper. Inside the room was a woman with short blond hair and glasses, looking through a pile of papers. Coal walked inside and approached her.

"Um, are you Mrs, Gilmer?" Coal asked.

She looked up at him with a serious look and them smiled. "Yes, I am. You must be Coal Withers. Miss Withers's son."

"Yes," Coal replied, Surprised that she knew who he was.

"I've been expecting you. Why don't you pick a seat," Mrs. Gilmer suggested.

Coal turned from her desk and walked through the rows of desks, looking for the perfect seat. He picked a desk near the back be the window. Mrs. Gilmer looked at him with concern.

"You sure you want to sit in the back?" Mrs. Gilmer asked, "You would be safer in front."

After hearing that, Coal decided she could be right. After all, he didn't want any trouble. He stood up and walked to the third desk from the front.

"Well, that's a little better," Mrs. Gilmer commented.

She stood up and took a piece of paper from her desk, then walked to the door. A boy with dark brown hair bumped into Mrs. Gilmer. He stepped back and looked at her surprisingly.

"Oh, Mrs. Gilmer. Sorry."

"That's all right," Mrs. Gilmer paused for a moment and glanced at Coal, "Mike Would you do me a favor?"

"Sure," Mike replied, sounding eager to help her.

She turned and pointed to Coal, "He's new and I was wondering if you could show him around today?"

Mike looked at Coal who was staring out the window in his own imaginary world.

"Sure. No problem," Mike replied and walked into the room. He sat his backpack on the seat next to Coal and placed his book on the desk.

"Hay. You're Coal. Right?" Mike asked sitting in the chair in front of Coal.

Coal snapped out of his thoughts and looked at Mike, annoyingly.

"That last time I checked it was," Coal replied.

Mike chuckled, "Cute answer. My name is Mike Seal. The teacher just asked me to show you around today. So Coal, is that like the nursery rhyme Old King Cole?"

"No it's more like Coal as in black rocks found in the ground," Coal answered.

Mike turned sideways in the chair, slouching on Coal's desk.

"That's an odd name to name someone," Mike replied.

Coal leaned forward, looking at him with a straight face, "Ask my mom. She named me."

"Yeah, well-" Mike paused when he noticed the halls were noisy and crowed looking. Kids began walking into their rooms picking desks. Mike stood up and sat in his own desk when a kid wanted the seat.

"Looks like the bus is here. Why don't you join me and my friends in the courtyard for lunch that is if you brought your own lunch otherwise you'll have to eat in the cafeteria," Mike suggested.

Coal didn't want to disappoint him by turning him down but he didn't want to meet anyone new, especially if they were outgoing like Mike. Coal had spent his two years in school eating lunch time alone and he wasn't about to change it now.

"I um, like to eat alone," Coal answered.

"Oh," Mike replied feeling disappointed.

As kids walked into the room, filling the row of desks and Mrs. Gilmer returned, Mike rested his head on his hand and looked at Coal.

"Mind if I asked you something?" Mike asked.

"I don't see why not. You've been asking me questions since you got here," Coal answered.

"Are you always like this?" Mike asked.

Coal looked at him curiously, not understanding what he was talking about.

"Like what?" Coal asked.

"Um, how can I put this?" Mike asked pondering on his question, "So...down about something. I mean it's your first day of school, right? Aren't you nervous, excited or happy?"

"Nope," Coal answered, "I'm used to being the new kid on school."

"Oh," Mike replied sitting straight up in his chair, "So you move a lot?"

Coal rested his head on his hand, feeling depressed about where Mike's questions was going to lead.

"Yes, for two years. The first time I ever went to school I was nervous. After moving a lot and going to new schools I got use to it. It's pretty much the same no mater what school I go to," Coal explained.

"So why did move a lot?" Mike asked.

Coal didn't answer at first, he thought about the times trouble had always found him and the times someone spotted him.

"My mom had her reasons," Coal answered.

Mike would have asked him more questions but the bell range and the kids rushed to their seats.

Coal spent half the day following Mike around school to other classes who had more questions to ask him. Coal felt troubled by the questions. How could one boy ask so much in a day? When the last bell range for lunch, Mike stood up and led Coal out of the room and down the hall.

"So have you changed your mind about having lunch with me and my friends?" Mike asked.

"No," Coal answered, "Mind if I ask you something? How come you've been asking me questions all day?"

Mike smiled as he walked down the stairs, "Just trying to get to know you and be friends. It's what friends do."

"Friends goes around asking questions about each other?" Coal asked surprisingly.

Mike looked at Coal as if he was shocked Coal would ask such a question.

"Have you ever had any friends before?" Mike asked curiously.

"Never," Coal answered.

"You're joking, right?" Mike asked, "You must of had friends when you were little or before you moved a lot."

"Never," Coal sighed.

As they reached the bottom steps, Mike stopped and looked at Coal.

"Well consider me your very first friend," Mike replied.

"Thanks," Coal reluctantly replied.

He had not expected making a friend so fast, especially a nosy one, nor did he want one. He left Mike and walked to the hall with the green lockers. Kids ruched past him and out the door, some hurried down another hall towards the cafeteria. Coal paused when he heard a familiar voice picking on another kid. As the halls cleared, Coal saw it was three kids trying to take someone lunch.

"Hand it over or else." Greg slammed his hand on a locker, pinning the kid against it. Greg's two friends snatched the lunch bag and took out the food.

"Check this out," He gave Greg a bag of Oreo cookies.
Greg took the bag and smiled, "Now this is what i'm talking about. There's enough for...only three of us. Now get lost," Greg told the kid."

Coal quietly opened his locker, trying to make a sound but as hard as he tried, his locker door squeezed open. The noise caught Greg's attention. He turned and smiled at Coal, seeing a new face in school.

"Ah, fresh meat. I take it you're the new kid in school," Greg smirked, "Has anyone told you the fee for eating outside?"

"No," Coal replied, taking his lunch bag out of his locker.
One of Greg's friend eyed the bulky bag, "Check that out, you're mommy must of packed a lot." Greg and the other friend chuckled.

"Let me introduce myself," Greg leaned his hand on the locker door, slamming it shut. Coal felt uneasy with the three boys around him.

"My name is Greg and these two are my friends, Jay and Will. We are not going to let you go till we see what you have in you bag."

Coal had his lunch close to him. "No. No one takes my food and I mean no one."

Greg smirked, "Guess what? We do."

Greg nodded his head giving Jay and Will the signal. Greg grabbed Coal around the shoulder while Jay and Will took the lunch bag. Coal got mad when his lunch was taken from him. He elbowed Greg and punched Jay in the face. Will hit Coal slamming him against the lockers. Kids in the courtyard gathered at the windows and door shouting, "Fight, fight, fight."

Coal stood up and went after Will to get his lunch bag back but Greg jumped on Coal, pinning him to the floor. Coal got angry when he saw Will and Jay digging through his lunch.

"Hay he's got some cool stuff here," Will said, throwing a pudding to Jay.

"Those are mine!" Coal shouted angrily.

His ears slowly began to change to a small point like an elf. Coal was to angry to notice his change.

"Go, I'll meet you at the cafeteria," Greg exclaimed.

The two boys turned to leave when they halted in a hurry. They looked up at the angry eyes of a man with his arms cross. Jay and Will didn't utter a word, they were to surprised at who had caught them stealing food.
The man took the bag and pudding, pushed the two boys against the wall and stood over Greg. The kids in he courtyard fell silent and watched.

"Well, Well. I finally caught you three in the act," The man said.
Greg stopped trying to keep coal down and looked up.

"Principle Parker. I didn't start the fight," Greg quickly said.
Mr. Parker took Greg by the arm and dragged him off of Coal, then forced him against the wall with Jay and Will. Coal slowly stood up calming down quickly, his ears slowly returned to normal. Coal took a sigh of relief when he saw he had been rescued by the school principle. Mr. Parker turned towards Coal and handed him his bag and pudding.

"I take it, these are your?" Mr. Parker asked.

"Yes, they are. Those three were trying to steal my food," Coal explained pointing to Greg and his two friends.

"I'll take care of them," Mr. Parker studied Coal for a moment, "I don't believe I have seen you before. What's your name?"

"Coal."

Mr. Parker's eye widen, "Coal Withers?"

"Yes."

Mr. Parker smiled and shook Coal's hand, "Good to finally meet you. Because you are new here, I'll let you off with a warning. I don't allow fighting, hitting or punching in my school."

Mr. Parker turned towards the door looking serious at them. The kid scattered and returned to their lunch spots. Mr. Parker look at the three boys nodding his head towards the hall, "lets go."

"But I didn't start the fight," Greg insisted as he was dragged off towards the Principle's office.

"Yeah," Will agreed, "We saw the whole thing."

Mr. Parker smiled, "Oh the four of us will have a nice long chat about that later. For now lets talk about all those lunches I hear you three been stealing and while I'm at it, lets bring your parents in on this. I'm sure they'll love to hear this."

Greg glanced back at Coal angrily, Coal knew it wouldn't be the last he would see of Greg. Coal pushed the door opened and walked outside onto the grass. He noticed some of the kids staring at him, their eye were burning a hole in him.

A skinny boy approached Coal, smiling, "Hay man. That was cool."

Then another approached him commenting on how Greg got in trouble. Then another boy approached him who didn't look all to happy. "Don't let this all go to your head. Since you got Greg in trouble, you'll be on his most wanted list. I feel sorry for anyone getting on that list."

Mike approached Coal, pushing the boy back. "Back off. Coal, why don't you join me and friends for lunch?"

"I had enough excitement for one day. I just want to eat in peace," Coal declared.

Coal walked past Mike and sat in the shade at the corner of the building. He was far enough away that no one will want to bother him.

Through the rest of the school-time, Kids began rumors about Coal and Greg each story changing slightly. Coal was becoming well-known for the kid who fought back. This wasn't what Coal wanted, he hopped his mother hadn't heard about it but he was wrong. When the last bell range, Coal went to his mother's class and waited inside as kids left the room. She piled the papers in her messenger bag and closed the window. She walked to her desk, picked up her messenger bag and looked at him.

"What is this I've been hearing all-day?" Susan asked him, "Fighting and picking on someone?"

"I didn't start it. I was minding my own business," Coal answered

"That's not what I've been hearing. Didn't I tell you to stay out of trouble?" Susan asked him with a concerned look.

"I don't know what you heard mom, but I'm telling you I was minding my own business when Greg came to me. Greg and his two friends took my lunch. So I fought for my lunch," Coal explained.

"Oh Coal."

"I don't care. No one steals my food and gets away with it. It just so happen the Principle was there. I didn't get in trouble but Greg and his friends did. All-day long everyone keeps telling me that I'm on Greg's wanted list. Just what is the big deal about some kid?" Coal exclaimed, "Is everyone that scared of him?"

Susan took a deep breath and approached Coal, "Greg has some serious issues. For now try to stay out of his way till something can be done about him."

Coal sighed and crossed him arms, "I'll try but I can't promise anything if he catches me."

Susan led Coal out of the room and closed the door, "Whatever happens Coal. Don't you dare change in front of Greg."

Coal sighed and followed his mother down the stairs.

"Oh, did you make any friends?" Susan asked.

"I didn't but a boy named Mike seems to think I'm his friend. All he has done all-day is ask me questions. If that is what friends do then I don't want them," Coal replied.

Susan giggled and smiled at Coal, "He's just trying to get to know you. Friends usually spent their time together and have fun. They also help each other out." She glanced at Coal seeing his frowning face, "Lighten up Coal. Try to be friends."

Last edited by LunaCat (2010-10-26 17:39:22)

#6 2010-10-20 03:08:59

LunaCat
Website

Chapter 2: Dog Chase

Night had fallen faster than Coal had expected. He laid on the bed stretched out with his paws over the edge and his tail hanging to the floor. He looked up at the partly opened curtains and saw the crescent moon shinning among the stars. He looked at the window and saw the light of the crescent moon peaking through the partly open curtains.
He sat his book on the bed, turned off the lights and left the room. He walked down the stairs and into the Dining Room. Susan sat at the long table with papers spread out, correcting her students work.

"I'm leaving," Coal told her.

Susan looked up from her paper while holding a red pen.

"Did you do your homework?" Susan asked.

"I don't have any. It my first day of school," Coal answered, anxious to leave the house.

"Oh, well. Don't be out to long. You have school tomorrow," Susan told him, then she went back to her papers.

Coal turned and left the dining room, walked to the kitchen and went outside through the back door.
As soon as he stepped outside onto the porch, the smells of dogs, trash and cats filled his nose. He walked to the side of the house and stopped at the corner. He looked around for any sign of humans at their windows or taking a stroll of the sidewalk but he saw no one and heard nothing. He trotted across the street and into the backyard. He slowed down to a walk as he sniffed around porches and sheds. His nose picked up mice, cats, raccoons and rabbits. On occasions he would often spend his nights hunting them down for fun but tonight wasn't that time. He wanted to get to know the neighborhood and meet some dogs who spent their nights in the yards.
Coal trotted past a doghouse in a fenced-in-yard, not paying an attention to the Golden Retriever that watched him.

"Wow, you are big," a voice commented.

Coal was caught by surprise. The night was so quiet, he had not expected to hear anyone. He stopped and turned towards the sound of the voice.

"What?" Coal asked looking at the Golden Retriever.

"I was just commenting on how big you were," The Golden Retriever replied approaching the fence.

"Oh, yes, I guess I am," Coal replied. Sure he was big but he never thought about being bigger than dogs.

"Say, you are new around here. Did you just move in or did you get lost and wondered too far from home?" The golden Retriever asked.

"I'm not lost. I know where my home is. I just moved in," Coal replied, sitting down in the soft grass.

"Oh, you just decided to take a walk alone without your human, huh?" The golden Retriever asked, "My name is Pep short for Peppy. So what is yours?"

"My name is Coal."
Pep looked up and down at him, studying his muscular body, unsure of what Coal is. "Mind I ask what breed are you?," Pep asked

"Me?" Coal asked, "I'm a werewolf."
Pep put his nose through the fence and sniffed Coal's fur, then he pulled his head back from the fence and looked at him with a confused look.

"You don't smell like one," Pep told him.

"What do you mean?" Coal asked curiously.

"Werewolves has a strong stench. I can sometimes smell them when they're nearby"

"You've seen them?" Coal asked surprisingly.

"No...well, only from a distance," Pep answered, "Go look around. I'm sure you will see one. They come out almost every night."

"I'll do that," Coal replied and began walking.

"If by chance you do find them. Be careful. They are dangerous. They will attack and kill you," Pep told him as he followed him to the corner of the fence.

Coal paused and looked at Pep in a questioning look, "What?"

"That's what I heard anyway. Be sure to tell me if you find them. I want to know every detail," Pep replied.

"Sure," Coal replied and continued walking past the yard towards the street.

He glanced in both directions and trotted across the street. He roamed through yards, sniffing the porches and toys in the yards. Some yards had dogs that sat at the window watching Coal's every move. Cats ran from the windows, hissing but Coal ignored them and continued on his way. As he walked along a fence in an opened yard, a Belgian Terruren barked aggressively at Coal. Then suddenly he stopped and began laughing.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were one of them," The Belgian Terruren laughed.

"Who?" Coal asked not sure what he was talking about.

"Those werewolves but I can tell your not one of them," The Belgian Terruren replied.

"I'm -"

"Oh since you're on the other side of my fence," The Belgian Terruren interrupted Coal, "Could you return my ball?"

"Ball?" Coal asked curiously.

The Belgian Terruren looked down at the ground under Coal as if he was trying to use his nose to point at his yellow and blue rubber ball.

"There, sitting next to you," The Belgian Terruren replied.

Coal looked down at the grass and saw the ball. He lowered his head, took the ball in his mouth and dropped it over the fence.

"Wow, you're a pal. If there's anything I can do for you don't hesitate to let me know," The Belgian Terruren said.

Coal stood for a minute watching the dog play with his ball. He couldn't imagine being in a yard overnight bored with nothing to do. As he watched, a large dog walked past the yard on the sidewalk heading in the opposite direction that Coal was going. Coal wondered if that was a werewolf the dogs talked about. He turned and trotted through the yards to the side of a gray house and poked his head around the corner. As the werewolf walked across the street under street lamps, Coal got a good look at the brown and gray werewolf. He walked differently than him and his back was at a slanted slope. His head had long thick fur stretching to his shoulders. Coal stretched his neck out and sniffed the air. He could faintly smell the werewolf as it continued walking through a yard. Coal trotted across the street, following the werewolf through a yard. Coal temporary lost sight of the werewolf as he walked around a wooden fenced in yard. He stopped at the side of a house behind a large bush and watched the werewolf.
He was so fixed on the werewolf about to cross the street that he didn't notice the cat under the bush. The cat growled getting Coal's attention. He looked down and saw the cat hissing and spatting at him. Coal gasped, his heart raced with fear. The cat swung its claws at him and missed. Coal jumped back, turned suddenly to run but he hit the wooden fence instead. The noise Coal and the cat were making caught the werewolf's attention and trotted over to investigate. Coal ran around the fence and hurried to the house next to him and watched the werewolf from another house.
The werewolf looked at the side of the house but all he saw was a scared cat hissing at him from under a bush. The werewolf growled, rolling his lips up to show his teeth. The cat turned and ran as fast as it could. The werewolf turned and snickered through his teeth.

"That was fun," The werewolf muttered, he paused for a moment in the street and looked at the house again, "I wonder what set that cat off in the first place...strange."

Coal felt relieved the werewolf hadn't spotted him. He stood tall and followed the werewolf across the street and through more backyards to a small wooded area. He kept his distance while sneaking past the trees and avoiding the twigs. His ears could hear more voices ahead, his nose smell a strong scent of werewolves. Coal followed the werewolf to a stream running from a lake. Three werewolves sat at a large round old tree by the water talking, one was white another was brown and tan, the third was black and gray.

"About time you showed up," The Black and Gray werewolf said.

"Sorry, I couldn't leave any sooner. So what's up?"

"The usual," The brown and tan werewolf answered, "Let's get going."

The werewolves stood up and began walking, Coal came out from behind a tree and followed them. He had only walked several steps when he stepped on a twig hidden in the grass. The werewolves stopped and turned to look but Coal had ran behind a big bush.

"Could be a cat or raccoon," The white werewolf suggested.

"Perhaps or...maybe someone is out there watching us," The brown and tan werewolf whispered standing on his hind leg cupping his eyes like binoculars, "They could be spying on us just waiting to catch us or worse...kill us."

Two of the werewolves scanned the dark woods but they saw nothing. Their felt uneasy with their dark surrounding and nervous at the thought of someone jumping out at them. Their tails partly tucked under them.

"Come on you two, he was only joking," the gray and tan werewolf remarked rolling his eye.
The black and gray werewolf stood on her hind legs, no longer feeling scared but angry instead. She pointed her paw at the brown and tan werewolf, "That wasn't funny!"

The tan and brown werewolf, pushed her paw from him and smiled, "It's a joke. You need to learn to not be so serious all the time."

"What if someone, you know, was watching?" The white werewolf nervously asked.

"Like who? Everyone is a sleep. Who besides us would be in the woods talking?" The tan and brown werewolf asked, "Now let's get going, we have a lot of ground to cover."

They trotted through the woods and across a stream with Coal trailing them. He walked across the stream and his foot slipped on a mossy stone. The werewolves heard a plunk sound and halted quickly.

"Someone is following us," The white werewolf said.

"Probably a spy from the other pack," The brown and gray werewolf guessed.

"Well then, let's take care of him," The tan and brown werewolf said.

Coal gasped at the noise he was made. He knew they were sure to hear his foot splashing into the stream. His ears perked up at their thundering feet. He turned and ran, he wasn't sure if they saw him but he wasn't taking any chances. As he raced through the woods, he could still hear the werewolves.

"I see him. He's just up ahead," The black and gray werewolf exclaimed.

"Who is it?" The tan and gray werewolf asked.

"We need to concentrate on catching him first," the tan and brown werewolf told them.

Coal ran out of the wooded area and jumped a fence. His ears stayed behind his head to hear the werewolves as they came closer to him. He jumped the other fence and ran between the houses, across the yard and into another yard.
The werewolves managed to keep up with Coal and caught sight of him under a street lamp as he crossed the street.

"It looks like a...dog," the brown and gray werewolf remarked.

"A big dog," The white werewolf added.

"We need to catch him to be sure," The tan and brown werewolf said.

Coal hung his mouth open with his tongue catching the wind as he ran. His heart pounded with worry. His feet refused to stop. He jumped fences, turning towards other yards in hope he would lose the werewolves but they stayed on his heels. After his ran out of ideas, he remembered the dog he helped earlier to get his ball. Perhaps the dog will help him this time?
He jumped more fences, ran across the yard and jumped a familiar fence. Coal began barking at the Belgian Terruren for help.

"They're after me!" Coal shouted.
The Belgian Terruren stood up in alert.

"I'll take care of them," the Belgian Terruren replied and began barking and snarling at the werewolves as they jumped into his yard. They halted and split to avoid the angry dog. When they left the yard, they could barley see Coal running into a yard across the street.
They tried following but every time they jumped a yard, a dog barked at them and eventually they lost sight of him.

"Where is that dog?" The Black and Gray werewolf asked feeling frustrated.

"That was defiantly a dog. It barked," The Gray and brown werewolf noticed.

"That dog must still be around. We should keep searching a little bit before going on our patrol," The brown and tan werewolf said.

They walked past a fenced yard snarling at the golden retriever that barked at them. Once the werewolves were no longer in sight, The golden retriever trotted to his doghouse and sat down. Coal was curled in a ball, hugging his hind legs and covering his face with hit tail.

"They're gone," Pep announced.

Coal poked his head out from behind the doghouse to see for himself. Once he saw it was all clear, he unrolled himself and stretched out onto the grass.

"Well?" Pep asked waiting for Coal to explain, "What happened?"

"I was following them. I was being careless and they heard me. They chased me until They lost me," Coal explained.

"Told you they were a mean bunch. You must be careful," Pep told him.

"Yeah," Coal replied.

He wasn't paying much attention to what Pep was saying, he kept thinking about what the werewolves talked about in the woods.

"Are you listening?" Pep asked getting close to his face.

"They didn't sound like a bad group,"Coal replied.

"What?" Pepe exclaimed, "You can't trust them, I mean they were chasing you because you were watching them."

Coal stood up not convened Pep was right but he couldn't help but feel the urge to want to learn more about them.

"I suppose. Right now I'm heading home. See you later," Coal replied and jumped the fence.

He ran home as fast as he could. He didn't know if the werewolves were still looking for him or given up but he wasn't taking a chance of staying out another minute. He crossed the street, walked to the side of his house and onto the porch. He opened the door and found Susan taking a glass of lemonade out of the refrigerator.

"You're home a little early. I wasn't expecting you for another few hours. Is everything ok?" Susan asked.

"Fine. You did say not to be out to long," Coal reminded her.

"Yeah I guess so but-"

"Mom, I just want to head to bed," Coal interrupted her.

"Ok, Just wash your feet before leaving the kitchen," Susan told him and left the kitchen.

Coal walked to the sink, turned on the faucet, took sponge and began washing his paws. Once all the grass and dirt was off his paws, he turned off the faucet, left the sponge in the sink and headed for his room, leaving a trail of wet puddle shaped paws on the floor.

Last edited by LunaCat (2010-10-26 17:40:05)

#7 2010-10-20 03:30:16

ShadowWolf2010
Website

Good writing but for the forum and how it does formating, you may want to adjust spacing smile good job!

--Tony
"Woof."

#8 2010-10-25 17:32:09

LunaCat
Website

Spacing the top and bottom lines?

Last edited by LunaCat (2010-10-25 17:32:30)

#9 2010-10-25 19:17:26

ShadowWolf2010
Website

Orient your text to the left and leave a space between paragraphs. if you have a long dialogue scene it may be best to put each line on its own seperate line for what each character says that way it flows like an actual conversation. smile like the story though!

--Tony
"Woof."

#10 2011-01-01 19:35:23

LunaCat
Website

Chapter 3: Coal's Luck

Morning came with the sun peaking through over the horizon. Coal walked downstairs in his human form, still feeling tired from last nights chase. The smell of French Toast filled the kitchen and hallway. Coal entered the kitchen and found Susan laying his plate on the table with a hot bottle of syrup.

"Well, Good morning," Susan said to him as she left the table.

He sat down and began eating without saying a word to her. He did not notice Susan rushing in and out of rooms, he was too busy pondering on last nights chase. He mind could not rest on what the werewolves and dogs had said. It was starting to bother him the more he thought about it.

"Coal, wake up," Susan called to him, noticing how slow he was eating, "Eat that and lets get going."

Coal snapped out of his thoughts and ate the first two toast quickly. Then he stood up, took his plate to the sink and ran to the family room. His backpack sat opened with his brown lunch bag inside. He zipped up his backpack and swung it over his shoulder.

"Are you done yet?" Susan asked.

"Yes," Coal shouted, annoyed that he had to rush.

Coal hurried outside and went to the car in the driveway while Susan locked the front door. She put her messenger bag on the backseat and sat in the front seat. Susan drove the car out of the driveway and down the street. Coal looked down a street as they past it, he spotted the house Pep lived and wondered if the dog was still outside or asleep in the house.

"Mom," Coal called to her after a moment of silence, "Am I a werewolf?"

Susan was caught by surprised that he would ask such a question, he never seemed concerned about knowing what he was before.

"Well, of course you are. What else would you be? You can turn human and your affected by the full moon like a werewolf. Why do you ask?" Susan asked him.

"I...I was just wondering," Coal replied.

He didn't feel like getting into a big discussion about last night so early in the morning.

"Oh," Susan replied knowing there was more to it than what he told her but she learned to wait and eventually he will tell her.

When they arrived at school, Susan parked the car and followed Coal into the school building.

"Coal," Susan called to him, hoping he would stop. Coal paused and turned to see what his mother wanted.

"Do you have your lunch?" Susan asked.

"It's in my backpack where you put it. Why do you ask?" Coal asked.

"Just making sure you have it. Now stay out of trouble and I'll see you after school," Susan told him and began walking to her classroom. Coal walked down the hall to his locker and opened it, he had just place his lunch bag inside when his locker slammed shut.

"Well, Well. Look who we have here and guess what? No adults insight," Greg observed scornfully.

"Yeah," Jay and will agreed who stood behind Greg.

"What do you want?" Coal asked.

"I got in trouble yesterday because of you and I don't appreciate those who gets me in trouble," Greg replied.

Will and Jay walked out from behind Greg and surrounded Coal, smirking at him. Just as they were about to drag Coal off, they heard a voice clearing his throat.

Greg, Will Jay and Coal looked and saw a man standing in the hall watching.

"Principal Parker, We-we were just...talking," Greg quickly explained, "Weren't we?"

"Yeah, just talking," Will added.

"No harm in talking is there?" Jay asked.

"No when you three are involved. Now why don't the three of you get going." Principal Parker proposed.

Greg turned, sneering at Coal, "This isn't over." Greg whispered as her walked by.
Once Greg and his two friends had turned the corner, Principal Parker approached Coal and smiled, "Your lucky I was just passing by. Are you all right?"

"I'm fine...thanks," Coal replied, feeling released and troubled at the same time. Coal walked past the Principal and continued up the stairs to his first-class. He greeted his teacher and sat down at his desk by the window, waiting for class to start.

Time had gone by quickly in each class Coal went to which he gathered homework from his teachers. His third class teacher, Mr. Brock, took the class to the library. It was one of the places Coal hadn't visited yet despite the tour Mike took him on.

"All right, everyone. Listen up for a moment. Get a book and quietly sit at a table and read," Mr. Brock announced.

The kids scattered to every isle and table. Coal walked to the first isle he saw and took his time reading every title but he saw nothing that interested him. As he pondered on what to read he began to think about the werewolves that chased him last night and what his mother said.

"Hum, I could read up on them," Coal whispered.

Unfortunately, he had no idea where to start looking, so he walked to the librarian's table.

"Umm, miss?" Coal whispered to her, "I'm having trouble finding a book."

She looked up from her computer and smiled, "That's what I'm here for. What are you looking for?"

"Anything on werewolves," Coal replied.

"Oh, that could either be in mythology or fantasy. Let me see what I have for you," the Librarian told him.

She looked at her computer screen and began typing. It didn't take long before she found it.

"Ah, here is some. Follow me," The librarian whispered to him and led Coal down a few isles. She paused and looked quickly at the title on the books.

"Here is some," She took a book and handed it to Coal, "There's a few more there. There should be more in mythology. Let me get one for you."

"Thanks," Coal replied happily.

He glimpsed through his book and then took another book from the shelf and glimpsed it. When the librarian returned with a book, Coal had four books stacked on the floor.

"Here's one more. Just leave the books on the table when you're done or if you want to check them out come see me," The librarian told him and left to return to her desk. Coal took the five books to a table. A girl with long dark brown hair noticed the books Coal had and went to his table with a book she had randomly took from a shelf.

"Hi," The girl whispered.

"Hum? Oh, Hi," Coal replied, taking the first book and looking through the pages with fascination. He didn't care who the girl was or why she was even talking to him, only that he wanted her gone.

"You're the new kid, right?" The girl asked.

"What gave that away?" Coal asked still looking through the book.

"So you're Coal, right?" She asked trying to start a conversation.

"The last time I checked it was," Coal replied.

The girl smiled at his reply but still determined to get more out of him, "I'm Ava. It's nice to meet you."

Coal looked up at her for the first time with his bright blue eyes, "Hi." Then he continued reading. Ava leaned over the table towards his book to get his attention, "I'm Mike's friend."

Coal sat up in his chair and looked at Ava, "That explains it," Coal whispered.

"Explains what?" Ava asked.

"Do all his friends ask so many questions?" Coal asked.

Ava quietly giggled, trying to keep from attracting the teacher's attention, "Sorry." Ava glanced at the book titles stacked next to him, "So you are interested in werewolves?"

"I suppose you could say that," Coal replied.

Mr. Brock approached the table after hear to much whispering, "You two are suppose to be reading. Coal, you are not planing to read that many books before the bell are you?"

"No, I was hoping to check them out," Coal replied.

"Oh, I see. Well this is reading time, not chatter time," Mr. Brock told him and left the table.

Coal was relieved when Ava was forced to stop talking, now he can get back to reading his book.

After many other classes Coal felt eager to get outside and eat, he had been hearing his stomach growl since gym.
Coal went to his locker and took out his lunch when closed his locker door he heard a voice calling his name. At first he thought it was Greg, back to bully him more but he felt relieved to know it was Mike and his three friends behind him.

"Come outside and eat with us," Mike proposed.

"Look, I plan to sit alone and read while I eat," Coal replied.

"Oh, come on. We won't bite," Mike joked.

"But I might," Coal joked back and left for the nearest door.

Mike's friends laughed and followed him out the door to their usual spot by the wall. Coal sat at the corner of the school building, far from other kids. He sat down and scattered his lunch on the grass. He laid his book on his lap and began eating while he read.

He had read two pages when he heard a familiar voice. Coal turned around and saw Greg with Jay. His other friend Will was at the door keeping watch. Greg walked around bulling other kids and taking something from their lunch.
Jay spots Coal scooting himself in the shadows behind the building.

"Greg," Jay smiled, "That new kids is over there. Now is your chance to get back at him."

Greg smirked and followed Jay to the corner of the building.

"Well, we meet again and this time I made sure no teacher or Principal will interrupted us," Greg told him.

Coal sat still hoping Greg would talk and leave but Coal knew Greg wasn't that kind of kid.

"Lets see what mommy gave you today," Greg teased and leaned over to look at his lunch. Coal felt protective of his lunch and stood up over his scattered food on the grass.

"This is my food. Why can't you go eat you're own food?" Coal asked.

"Because I don't like mine," Greg replied, "Now where were we this morning? Oh yes...Time to teach the new kid a lesson."

Everyone in the yard sat quietly watching and wondering if they were going to see another fight. Coal stood ready to fight for his lunch and for himself, when a male teacher approached Greg, while holding Will by the arm.

"But first, I think it's time to teach you three a lesson. Lets go Greg, Jay. Off to the Principal's office." The teacher led the way with Will by his side.

Greg leaned towards Coal, angrily, "Your luck will run out someday."

"Greg," the teacher called to him.

Greg followed the teacher out of the courtyard. Kids cheered when Greg left. Mike and his friends approached Coal.

"See you should have sat with us. It's safer in a group," Mike told him.

"Group or no group I don't see any difference with a bully. I've gone to a lot of schools before I came here and I know all bullies are pretty much alike. They pick on kids to make themselves look good and new kids are a favorite with them, Coal explained.

"We've known Greg for along time and he doesn't give up till he gets what he wants," Mike replied.

Coal felt annoyed, that he couldn't read in peace. He picked up his lunch and his book, holding them in his arms.

"Someday Greg is going to pick on the wrong kid and by then it'll be to late for him to learn his lesson," Coal told him and began walking back into the building.

Coal went to his mother's class to eat in peace till the next bell rang.

Through the rest of the afternoon kids talked about what happened outside during lunch, some wished they were there to see it. The rumors only angered Greg even more.
The last bell rang and Coal waited in his mother's classroom till she was done cleaning the room. She dusted the erasers, closed the windows and empted the wastebaskets in one trash bin.

"Lets get going," Susan stated.

Coal hung his backpack over his shoulder and left the room with his mother. He followed her downstairs and outside to the parking lot. Susan placed her messenger bag in the backseat, Coal held his in the front seat. As Susan drove the car out of the parking lot, Coal took out his book, hoping to have some time to read it. Susan glance at Coal to see what he was doing and noticed the book. She saw the page with the werewolf drawing on it and was surprised to see Coal was reading it.

"Is that...a book on werewolves?" Susan asked.

"It's about a werewolf. So far it's nothing like me. I mean I don't go around killing all nightlong and scaring people to death," Coal replied.

"Oh Coal. I could have told you those book were false," Susan told him.

"But you said this morning that I could change to human and have some affects from the full moon like a werewolf."

"Yes but that's all you have in common," Susan answered, "Me and your...well, we had did a lot of reading when you first became human and that was the only thing that came close to explaining you. Your-I mean we figured what was written in books was only half true. Why are you so interested in werewolves anyway?"

"My friends were telling about werewolves last night," Coal answered.

"Oh? You have friends besides Mike?" Susan asked surprised he was making friends so fast.

"They are not human, mom," Coal explained.

"Oh, I see. Doggy friends," Susan replied sounding slightly disappointed.

"They told me werewolves were mean and would kill me if they caught me," Coal replied.

"They told you that?" Susan asked, "So there are other werewolves around?"

Coal closed his book, realizing he wasn't going to get any reading done. He leaned on the arm of the door with is head on his hands.

"Yes, I...found them last night in the woods. They were talking and then they noticed me watching. I ran out of there so fast that I didn't look back. They chased me for three blocks till one of my doggy friends helped me. I lost them before I came home." Coal explained.

"Now I see why you came home so soon," Susan replied, "Why were they chasing you?"

"I don't know. I guess they're mean like my friends said," Coal replied.

"Being chased doesn't sound like they're mean to me. Maybe you should try to talk to them?" Susan suggested.

Coal looked at Susan as if she was going crazy, "Your joking. Talk to them? They really wanted to catch me last night and who knows what they would have done if they caught me."

"Oh come on Coal. You've been reading that book too long. Don't let it go to your head," Susan told him.

"It's not going to my head," Coal remarked and stared out the window.

#11 2011-01-03 14:13:07

LunaCat
Website

I plan on changing the title "Battle in Darkness" To a title that I think will fit better with the story "Alien god" So expect the title to change soon. You will find out later in the story why the title fits.

#12 2011-01-21 13:48:37

LunaCat
Website

Chapter 4: Midnight Fright

Night was falling fast and the sun was disappearing in the horizon. Coal worked on his homework while laying on a large pillow bed in the corner of the family room. His hind legs and tail stretched beyond the lings of the pillow while his head and chest area laid comfortably on the pillow. On his paws was a book and a piece of paper.

Several books were scattered around his pillow bed, his backpack sat between him and the fireplace.
Once Coal had finished he closed the book and sat it on the floor, resting till the sky got dark. Susan walked into the room, catching Coal resting.

"Are you finished?" Susan asked

Coal opened his eyes and looked at Susan, "I just finished."

Susan walked in the room smiling at him, "You know. You are too big for that bed."

"You can always get me another one, a bigger one," Coal suggested.

"That is the biggest I could find," Susan replied.

She looked out the window and saw the sun was gone and night was falling fast, " Are you still going out or are you going to sleep there?"

Coal looked at the window, then stood up, stretching his legs, "I'm going out."

He walked past Susan and went out the door.

"Coal, your books," Susan called to him but it was to late, he had shut the door.
Susan bent down and gathered his books, then piled them in his backpack.

Coal ran from the porch and stopped in a backyard a few houses away from home. He was eager to stretch his legs in a run that he almost forgot about the werewolves. He sniffed the air for their smell but all he found were dogs, cats, trash, rabbits, raccoons and people in the area. His ears perked up, listening for sounds, his nose continued to smell the ground and air. His eyes carefully watched for any signs of movement. He walked through the backyards till he came to the street. He poked his head out from the side of the house, sniffed the air and saw no one. The curtains in the windows were all closed with shadowy figures and lights from the TV. When Coal felt it was clear he dashed across the street, through several backyards till he found Pep. Coal jumped the fence and greeted his new friend, Wagging his tail and running around Pep before calming down.

"You came. I wasn't sure you want to see me after last night," Pep happily wagged his tail.

"I was lucky to get away last night," Coal sat down and looked at Pep, "Tell me more about werewolves."

"What do you want to know besides what I already told you?" Pep asked.

"You said I didn't smell like a werewolf but my mom said I was," Coal stared at the grass then looked up at Pep.

"You don't trust my nose?" Pep asked, "You were near those werewolves, they chased you. Surly you smelled how different they are to you."

"Well, yes they did smell different from me but..." Coal was still confused. He didn't know much about werewolves than he did last night.

"Trust your nose, your senses," Pep interrupted him, "I think you been around a human too much. You are starting to think like one."

Coal snorted at the thought of being told he was thinking like a human.

"Having some doubt don't mean I think like a human," Coal argued with him.

"Sure it does, human are always doubting themselves. I don't know any dog who doubts his own senses," Pep argued.

Coal stared at the ground, pondering on what Pep said. After a minute, he looked around, he needed to get away to think.

"I'll see you later. I'm going for a walk," Coal stood up and ran for the fence. He jumped the fence, easily clearing it and landing with a thud.

"Hay, watch out for those werewolves!" Pep shouted.

"Pep!" A woman shouted from the window of the house, "stop barking!"

Pep lowered his head and sat down. His human closed her window and went back to sleep.

Coal trotted across the street with caution. He didn't want to be seen by those werewolves, who knew what they would do if they caught him. He walked behind a few houses and into a thick band of trees that covered a large yard. He didn't know where he was going, only that he wanted to get far from home and explore. He kept his eyes on the house in front of him, it was a single story house but longer than the houses in his neighborhood. It had a wooden deck in the backyard. He walked up to the deck, saw that all the curtains in the windows were closed then he walked from the back to the front of the house. The main road that was usually busy during the day didn't have a single car on it. Coal walked to the curb, than dashed across the street and into another thick band of trees. He eventually came to a clearing with trees scattered around and a long sidewalk stretching as far as he could see. Benches sat close to the sidewalk with trash bins next to the lamp posts.

"The park," Coal muttered after realizing where he was.

It was the same park that he saw every morning on his way to school. He lowered his head and sniffed the ground as he followed the sidewalk. His nose picked up far more animals scent than humans. There were many squirrels, possums, raccoons, cats, dogs and occasionally a deer. Coal felt comfortable in the park, a place where animals roamed while humans slept.

Coal paused suddenly, a clanking and crunching noise was coming from a trash bin ahead of him. Coal lowered his head and inched his way up the the trash bin, then he rose his head and looked inside.

"Hay!" A raccoon shouted at him, emerging from the pile of trash.

Coal jumped back, startled by the shout and the sudden appearance.

"This is mine. All mine. Go find your own trash!" The raccoon hissed at him. His beady eyes glaring at Coal, his mouth hung open, ready to fight.

"I don't want your trash," Coal told him and continued walking.

He eventually came to a lake with a bridge overlooking the quiet stillness of the water. He walked on the bridge, occasionally peaking over the thick stone railing. He followed the sidewalk through the woods until a noise broke the silent night air. Coal's ear perked up, scanning the area to pinpoint where the noise was coming from. He followed the noise to a parking-lot and saw three men, two of them carried a woman from a black van, the third stood watch as if he didn't want anyone to see what was happening. Coal laid low in the grass, hidden in the darkness of the woods. The two men laid the woman on the grass then hurried to the van.

The van drove from the parking-lot to the main road. Coal stayed hidden for several minutes, waiting to see if the woman was going to move but she didn't. He wondered if she was dead and the three men had murdered her. He stepped out from his hiding spot and crept close to the woman on the grass. He crossed the parking-lot and stood over the woman's body. She had on shorts and a tank top with sneakers on her feet. Coal lowered his head and sniffed her to see if she was alive or dead but to his startling surprise, the woman opened her eyes. Coal stepped back and the woman looked at Coal for a second then screamed. Coal turned from the woman and ran to the woods to hide. He had gone only a few feet into the woods when the woman stopped screaming. He had heard people scream at the sight of him and his large size, before. None of them stopped screaming suddenly. Coal stopped and turned to see what made her stop screaming. He inched his way to a tree close to the parking-lot and watched nervously. The woman was on her knees groaning on pain and her body grew larger, her hands grew thinker and her fingernails grew sharper. Her clothes ripped from her body, her hair blended in with her light brown fur. Her ears grew long and her fangs grew longer than the rest of her teeth.
She stood up tall and sniffed the air. The only thought on her mind was kill the wolf. She turned, facing Coal and ran towards him.

Coal turned from the tree and ran as fast as he could through the woods. He could hear the bushes and twigs braking as the large cat ran after him. Coal ran out of the woods and followed the sidewalk. When he reached the bridge, the large cat was no longer behind him. He glanced back and saw the large cat jumping out of the woods and onto the bridge. Coal was knocked down by the weight of the cat. She towered over him, roaring angrily at him like a lion. Coal felt fear surging through him, his mind froze, his body didn't want to move. The large cat lifted it's long sharp claws over Coal and came down swiftly over his body. Coal forced himself to move and rolled to one side. The claws scraped the ground missing Coal by inches. Coal stood up and crawled out from under the cat. He jumped when the cat swung it's paws but got hit with the other paw. Coal stood up to run but the cat turned again and knocked Coal to the stone railing with a swipe of its paw. Coal gasped as the cat opened its large mouth and baring long fangs, preparing to bite into Coal.

Just when Coal thought he was done for, four werewolves jumped on the large cat, tugging on her fur and throat. The cat reared up to throw the werewolves off. Coal stood up and started to run but the cat swung its paws at the werewolves and knocked Coal over the railing. He fell into the water with a large splash. Coal swam to the surface for air and then hurried to land.

Once he reached the grass, he ran out of the park as fast as he could. He crossed the street with his tail under him, scared the cat might still be behind him. He jumped several fences till he came to his house. He hurried inside and slammed the door shut. His body shook with fear, his fur dripped with water.
Susan hurried into the family room to see why Coal slammed the door so loud. She was surprised at the sight of coal.

"What happened to you?" Susan asked worriedly.

It took Coal several minutes to reply, "N-nothing."

He didn't feel like explaining, it'll only worry her more. All he wanted to do is hide in bed and forget this night ever happened.

"Nothing?" Susan asked, "You look like you seen a ghost and you're wet."

Coal lowered his head, his tail still under him as he walked past her. Susan glanced over his wet body and saw something red on his fur.

"Hold it," Susan told him.

Coal stopped in the kitchen, "What? I want to get to bed." Even his voice sounded shaky.
Susan approached Coal and ran her finger over his fur. She looked at her find and saw blood.

"Don't tell me this is nothing," Susan showed Coal her fingers with his blood on them, "Now tell me what happened."
Coal sat down, realizing he couldn't get out of this without telling her the truth.

"I went to the park and saw a woman in the grass. I thought she might have been dead but she woke up and...screamed at me. Then she...turned into a large cat. She chased and caught me on the bridge. Werewolves came and attacked the cat. I was thrown into the lake then I came home," Coal explained.

"Turned into a cat?" Susan asked surprisingly.

"Yes, a big cat. Bigger than me," Coal replied.

"That is...pretty big all right. Well, you can't go to bed wet and bleeding," Susan observed his fur, "Come with me to my bathroom and I'll clean you up."

Susan led Coal up the stairs, through her room and into the bathroom which was large enough for both of them to move around. She took a large towel and rubbed Coal till he was damp.

"Coal, you can relax," Susan told him, she could feel him shaking.

"I-I can't. You know me and cats and that was a huge cat," Coal replied.

Susan smiled at him and stroked his furry neck, "Sit down and try to relax. There are no cats here."

Coal sat down, his head lowered as he tried to relax his body. When Susan finished drying Coal as best she could, she took a hand full of toilet paper and dabbed it over his scratches till they stopped bleeding.

"That's all I can do for now. Those scratches are far to big for a band-aid and there's not enough of them for a wrapping. You just be careful when you run into those large cats," Susan told him.

Coal stood up and left the room and went to his room. He jumped on his bed, laid on his side with his head on his pillow and went to sleep.

"Goodnight," Susan whispered and then she closed the door.

Last edited by LunaCat (2011-01-22 13:46:27)

Board footer