The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-12 09:51:42

Sasquatch

Looking for werewolf fiction.

Hi all, I'm really into werewolf fiction at the minute and I'm always looking for reccomendations for new books. What I'm looking for is a more adult book, this may sound snobby but anything that comes from the 'teen' section at the bookstore doesn't usually interest me. On the same note I don't really want a werewolf romance story, a bit of romance is fine of course but I'm not looking for twilight here. I've currently read the cycle of the werewolf by Stephen king, Wolfsbane and mistletoe, Werewolf by Philip A. Burnham and the mammoth book of wolf men compiled by Stephen Jones.

Anybody got any good ones that fit the criteria?

#2 2011-01-13 10:23:39

KCat

Re: Looking for werewolf fiction.

"Ravenous" and its sequel "Bestial" by Ray Garton are fairly well placed on the non-romance adult side of things. You may also want to check out "Bestial: Werewolf Apocolypse" by William D. Carl. The latter I've only read some previews of, but it looks fairly okay. I've also read "Bestial", which was rather entertaining.

I can't say how they stack up to the others you've read, though. I don't read as much as I should.

#3 2011-01-13 11:40:11

Sasquatch

Thanks, I'll look into the first one and see if I can find any reviews!

#4 2011-01-13 13:22:29

ArcLight
Website

Yeah, Bestial and Ravenous are pretty intense "werewolves as monsters" books. W.D. Gagliani's Wolf's Trap, Wolf's Bluff and Wolf's Gambit are good "werewolf as hero cop" books. A little change of pace would be Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series. They edge a little close to the romance side but to me it never overpowers the story and Kitty is just too cool and snarky anyway. Gotta love her.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#5 2011-01-13 14:10:03

Sasquatch

Thank you, I might check out the second one you mentioned, hero cop doesn't really float my boat though.

#6 2011-01-13 19:40:36

lupinealchemist

Ravenous, Bestial

Aren't those the ones that involve the "transformation by rape" scenario?

#7 2011-01-14 13:14:47

KCat

Infection through sex, actually, but there are instances of rape (hence their "adult" nature).

#8 2011-01-21 23:45:10

McGregor

Just adding my own 2 cents but I really didn't think much of Ravenous. It had an interesting idea at its core, lycanthropy as an STD but it didn't follow through on that premise. I found the prose dull and cliched, a tedium to read. Sorry.

I would recommend Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow. A werewolf tale written as epic poetry. Don't let the poetry part turn you off, it's a good read. Sample the first chapter or two through Amazon, see what I mean.

If you can find it, Wolfen by Whitley Strieber is a good read. As is The Howling by Gary Brandner.

I haven't read Lonely Werewolf Girl yet but there's some strong recommendations for it here and elsewhere. Worth checking out.

"Silver bullets, my ass." - The Howling

#9 2011-01-22 08:15:21

leighcanthrope

I quite like the Kelley Armstrong books. The first ones are about werewolves, but then they also involve other supernaturals (vampire, witches, necromancers). There is a bit of romance there, but they're fun and easy to read and I find that the author builds some interesting and likable characters.

Homo homini lupus est...

#10 2011-01-22 08:49:52

Moonlit Hunter

Sasquatch wrote:

Hi all, I'm really into werewolf fiction at the minute and I'm always looking for reccomendations for new books. What I'm looking for is a more adult book, this may sound snobby but anything that comes from the 'teen' section at the bookstore doesn't usually interest me. On the same note I don't really want a werewolf romance story, a bit of romance is fine of course but I'm not looking for twilight here. I've currently read the cycle of the werewolf by Stephen king, Wolfsbane and mistletoe, Werewolf by Philip A. Burnham and the mammoth book of wolf men compiled by Stephen Jones.

Anybody got any good ones that fit the criteria?

Read The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt.

That is one of my favorites, and it is not teen fiction. There is a bit of romance in it sort of, but it is not typical romance and the story is not about that in the least. Also, it is "historical" fiction (using the term historical loosely here) set during the time of Charles the Great. It isn't a time period often studied or written about, and I think this author does a good job with that given the intertwining of werewolves into the story.

There is a sequel to it, but honestly, the sequel isn't worth reading. The first one is amazing... the sequel sucks. It is as if two different authors wrote them, which makes me wonder if there was a bit of ghostwriting going on given that the author is Anne Rice's sister.

-----

If you are looking for books that are fun, easy reads that are not teen fiction, are about werewolves, and are not centrally focused on romance - I would recommend Patricia Briggs's series about Mercy Thompson. Just keep in mind, these are not going to be intense like Stephen King. They are basically good if you are looking for something that's fun and about werewolves.

-----

Both of those suggestions MIGHT be considered "chick lit" but hey, I am a chick. Sue me.

Board footer