You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-30 23:50:03

LandonOokami

"Howl" - Me trying my hand at writing.

Well... Here goes something.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Howl

"you better turn that light out and go to sleep in there!"

The warning came from the living room down the hall. He knew that the stern, female voice wasn't to be taken for granted. After being discovered, he knew that his late night reading time was over. The teenager turned off the rather large flashlight and set it in his nightstand. The book was placed under the pillow he didn't use and he curled up with the other one. Before long he was asleep and dreaming.

The early morning sun pierced through the blinds in a way that must have been staged for the sole purpose of annoying the sleeping 16 year old. He arose from his slumber with very little grace; tangling himself deeper in the woven blanket spread over his fur covered body. When he was free of his cottony bindings, he stood slowly and began to stretch. Starting with his back, the reddish grey teen twisted from one side to the other; the popping noises that were produced made him sigh in relief. He then reached skyward and tested to make sure everything was working. His left arm was slightly numb for sleeping on it but everything else was fine. Yesterday's bruises and scrapes were healed thanks to his increased immune system. He paused for a moment, only his tail swaying, and chuckled to himself about the irony in that; his differences were the reason he was hurt yesterday and why he felt better today.

The smell of bacon grease and yeast snapped him out of his thoughts. 'Mom must have started breakfast,' he thought as he exited his room and, with clean clothes in hand, made his way to the restroom. He showered last night so he figured he would just wipe himself down at the sink this morning. He took he warm washcloth and ran it over his tall, lanky frame. Even though he was a full generation werewolf, he did not have the muscle build of the others. He was still very fit; there wasn't a pinch-able place on him save for his belly when he was sitting down.

A light knock came at the bathroom door. A gentle voice spoke so quietly that he would not have heard her without his wolf ears. "Breakfast is in the oven when you're ready for it, Landon."
"Thank ya, mama," Landon replied.
He finished getting ready and made a beeline for the kitchen stove. As soon as he opened it, he saw what was prepared for him: hoe cakes. Not many know about the hoe cake. It's the love child of the pancake and the biscuit; a southern classic. This rendition done by his mom was what he called the "Get Better" cake.
Landon put two hoecakes on a plate and closed the oven. The bacon on top of the stove was still warm when he grabbed for it and set it on the plate. Syrup was added to the mix and the plate was soon emptied into his stomach without the aid of a utensil. Landon mastered eating sticky foods with minimal messiness when he was seven.After cleaning up the breakfast area, Landon told his mom goodbye as he walked out the door for school.

The weather in the month of March had never been this kind to the South Carolina residences. They were usually still having cold snaps and freezing rain but today was warm and inviting. Landon stepped from his apartment and locked the door behind him. He made his way out the front archway of his open layout building and headed toward the bus stop. The bus stop was in sight when he noticed that the bus was already there and done loading students. Landon raced for it, thankful that he left his backpack in his locker so he could run full on. The bus roared as it tried to pull off but he made it to the door and started knocking on it.
The driver looked at him and sighed. The doors swung open and Landon stepped on a bit winded from the surprise sprint he just had to do.
"Thanks," he managed to get out between pants. The driver said nothing in return but he could tell the driver wasn't liking his presence on her bus. Her scent gave it away. To him, she might as well had said, 'get the hell off my bus ya' mutt!' At least with words you can return a witty remark and shut them up.
The bus ride only took a few minutes. It would be a while before  the class bell would actually ring. These are the periods of the day that Landon had to watch his tail. The cafeteria was the safest place to hunker down in until classes started; there were too may people for any real trouble to happen.
There were only a few other weres in his school and most of them were shifters. They found their groups and stuck to them. Landon was sure that he could be part of a clique if he tried hard enough but then the thought dawned on him that he was just too weird. It wasn't his fur or his claws or anything dealing with his genetic make up that made him weird either. It was his personality. Normal teenaged boys were into sports and relationships for the past few years of their lives. Landon was too busy being fascinated by toys and games. As he got older, those toys and games became gizmos and software. He fixed things around his house so his mom wouldn't need to buy new appliances or electronics.

Landon pulled out a small tool kit from his bookbag along with a disassembled mess of wires and plastic that used to be a remote control and a pocket radio. He started where he had left off yesterday with attaching wires to ports and placing the radio tuner in the base of the controller. The little projects were always more challenging for him because the needed such a delicate touch. Landon saw it as a way to control his emotions in stressful situations and used it as a form of meditation. His new device was only moments away of being complete when the bell for first period rang. He sighed and replaced his tools and the project into his backpack and mentally prepared for his day of schooling.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Please tell me what you think about this. I know that it is kind of short but I've only been able to type from my iPod recently. I hope to build this into a good story and actually Finish something I started. smile

Werewolves run monthly
Swiftly moving through the trees
The prey meets their fate

#2 2011-03-31 07:18:28

Ridgewolf

Re: "Howl" - Me trying my hand at writing.

First post! wink always wanted to do that... *tail wagging*

It read really well from where I'm lying (in bed, on an iPod too wink )

A comment my English teacher mentioned to me about stories and writing is not to "tell" the reader whats happening, but too "show" them -holy cr*p I remembered something from English today!!!

But again, very nice and interesting start :3

Last edited by Ridgewolf (2011-03-31 07:19:59)

Wolfs 'n' Minecraft <3

#3 2011-03-31 13:21:56

LandonOokami

Yeah... I had crappy English teachers. I can't write fiction well cause I've been drilled with essay format and all that bad stuff for creativity.

Werewolves run monthly

#4 2011-03-31 22:31:35

ShadowWolf2010
Website

Hmm...

I like this. I really do. You capture the essence of being a teen quite nicely and it really does fit in the world of Wolf quite well. Its also nice to get a glimpse of the rest of the United States and how they are handling the werewolf issue. Hoecakes huh? Those sound awesome (hehe). Keep this going most definitely!

--Tony
"Woof."

#5 2011-04-01 17:58:48

Ridgewolf

LandonOokami wrote:

Yeah... I had crappy English teachers. I can't write fiction well cause I've been drilled with essay format and all that bad stuff for creativity.

Yeap I know that all too well wink

Again; any questions feel free to ask, but the stories great!!

EDIT: as an afterthought, don't you have a creative writing standard or test at school yikes ?

Last edited by Ridgewolf (2011-04-01 18:00:35)

Wolfs 'n' Minecraft <3

#6 2011-04-01 23:23:44

LandonOokami

No. We do essays and reports and the dull mind numbing college prep writings. No creative stuff unless you take the specific class for it. Even then what you can write is limited and graded based on a rubric. Last time I checked, rubrics were not creative... -_-

Werewolves run monthly

#7 2011-04-03 00:45:12

wolfghostxxv

meh i dont mind writing the essay as long as I dont have to do research for it... I've been told that I have a way with written words, but spoken... that's a different story, in other words I can write the speech as long as you perform it

I loved this story because It reminds me of me.... this is the millionth time I have had a late night because of reading and writing stuff keep up the good work

Last edited by wolfghostxxv (2011-04-03 00:46:29)

when the rich wage war it's the poor who die

#8 2011-04-03 10:56:07

wolflove

I love this story so far! Good job!

My heart sings to the moon and with the wind, sending tribute to it whenever I can.

#9 2011-04-04 01:20:43

ShadowWolf2010
Website

You know this is really wierd that i have fanfiction already sprouting up based upon my world but its not even published yet! its wierd in a rocking awesome way...it shows me that you guys really are into this world. I love it! by all means keep it comin!!!

--Tony
"Woof."

#10 2011-04-04 07:31:00

Ridgewolf

LandonOokami wrote:

No. We do essays and reports and the dull mind numbing college prep writings. No creative stuff unless you take the specific class for it. Even then what you can write is limited and graded based on a rubric. Last time I checked, rubrics were not creative... -_-

Well, if you can deal with the earthquakes, come to my school and learn here in Christchurch with me !! big_smile

Wolfs 'n' Minecraft <3

#11 2011-04-04 23:01:25

LandonOokami

@ridgewolf I might take you up on that. After all, I hear earthquakes make good milkshakes. ;p

Werewolves run monthly

#12 2011-04-05 07:32:50

Ridgewolf

LandonOokami wrote:

@ridgewolf I might take you up on that. After all, I hear earthquakes make good milkshakes. ;p

Oh god, you can try if you want but honestly if there's another one that is major, then i won't be worrying about my milkshake!

Yea but nz schooling system is piss easy... No joke.

It serriosuly was designed by a monkey... It's that bad.

Wolfs 'n' Minecraft <3

#13 2011-04-07 13:34:13

LandonOokami

just wanted to let you guys (and ladies) know that this story will be updated a bit slow because i only type this on my iPod when i get time. please bear with me.

Werewolves run monthly

#14 2011-04-13 07:33:33

LandonOokami

Part 2:
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The day of educational prison was nearly complete. Landon skillfully dodged all of the normal "silver bullets" in his life and only had one period left before the weekend could officially begin. Just the thought of being away from that institute sent joy through his body. The excitement he felt radiated from every strand of fur in his face.
Landon liked school only for the learning part of it; the interaction with people who wanted to only pretend he wasn't  there was what he could not wait to get away from. It wasn't everyone who thought that way of him though, just the loudest and most influential jerkwads that no one dared or cared to rebuttal.
Landon walked into his easiest and last class of the day to his seat near the back of the room. He didn't sit in the back because he was bad or anything so deplorable. It was merely because of his size. His teachers were all fed up with students complaining that they couldn't see the board because of his ears. Sure, they were large and slightly disproportional to his head size but he was still growing into them.
Class began and Landon noticed that the material was what he did the night before on accident. He assumed the homework continued on because what was given was too easy. Smiling inwardly, Landon chalked it up as good karma and decided to use the class to take a nap. No one would wake him thinking that he would miss important information so it work for him even more. After all, who would care if he got his education other than himself.
Landon woke from his sleep as the class grew noisy, signifying that the bell would ring soon. He put his notebook in his bookbag and cradled his book in his arm. When the final bell rang, he bolted for the door and to his locker to unload his last textbook. This could possibly be one of those rare days where things just fall into place for him. Landon shook the thought from his head so he wouldn't jinx his last few minutes on this wretched high school campus. The lock spun quickly in his paw. He never missed a number and had it unlocked in two seconds flat; a new personal best. His excess books were put away in a flash. After getting outside to the bus loading zone of the school, Landon noticed how much energy he had built up. He checked his phone and the digital read for the time said it was still a little after a quarter till three. He needed to get home but also needed to get rid of this excited electrical energy flowing through him. He hadn't felt this way in a long time and wasn't planning on wasting it.
Landon made his way off the school grounds to the woods across the street.
As he passed the threshold of the wooded area, he began to pick up speed. He started to jog in the direction of his neighborhood as his feet moved faster and faster. The leaves under his hindpaws  barely making noise as he shot over them. Landon saw that the stream was coming up soon and prepared himself to spring over it. The edge of the water only knew him for a moment as he greeted the sky over the water.
"Whoo-hoo!" The sound of thrill and enjoyment came out of the werewolf teen as he came out of his leap and landed. Then something in his psyche switched over his thought pattern. He felt a warm, prickling feeling in his limbs as he lunged forward and started moving on all fours through the woods. The lower position felt right to his body, so he did not think twice about it. His clothes and backpack stayed the same as he twisted through the spacing between the trees' trunks. The edge of the forest was nearing and he felt his body stand upright and continue forward, not breaking speed at all. He noticed the street he was on as one not far from his bus stop. He turned down one street early and slowed as he cut through the yards to reach his back door. Pulling his key from his bag, Landon opened the door breathing a bit heavy but not in a tired manner. Everything around him slowed to normal speeds as he came off his forest high. It had been awhile since he took the forest route to get home. It was an effective way to rid himself of pent up stress but it also made him a bit sleepy. There were ingredients for a sandwich in the kitchen so Landon made himself one and ate half of it before laying on the couch to take a nap. It didn't take long for him to go under and in mere moments, he was dreaming of the forest.

The back door clicked and slowly opened. A stalky figure stepped into the home and crept slow toward the bigs screen on the wall in the living room. As it made it's way passed the couch he turned to see the young full generation wolf laying out asleep. The intruder reached into his waist pack and removed an oversized syringe with a grace that did not match it's size and build. The teen wolf's noes twitched and his eyes shot open as the unknown person uncapped the needle and jammed it in the young wolf's jugular and hit the plunger. The kid fought and snarled but grew weak as the drug took effect. The hefty man easily picked up the wolf and carried him off over his shoulder out the way he came and closed the door behind him; making off into the night with his target.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Werewolves run monthly

#15 2011-04-14 02:59:01

ShadowWolf2010
Website

LandonOokami wrote:

Part 2:
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The day of educational prison was nearly complete. Landon skillfully dodged all of the normal "silver bullets" in his life and only had one period left before the weekend could officially begin. Just the thought of being away from that institute sent joy through his body. The excitement he felt radiated from every strand of fur in his face.
Landon liked school only for the learning part of it; the interaction with people who wanted to only pretend he wasn't  there was what he could not wait to get away from. It wasn't everyone who thought that way of him though, just the loudest and most influential jerkwads that no one dared or cared to rebuttal.
Landon walked into his easiest and last class of the day to his seat near the back of the room. He didn't sit in the back because he was bad or anything so deplorable. It was merely because of his size. His teachers were all fed up with students complaining that they couldn't see the board because of his ears. Sure, they were large and slightly disproportional to his head size but he was still growing into them.
Class began and Landon noticed that the material was what he did the night before on accident. He assumed the homework continued on because what was given was too easy. Smiling inwardly, Landon chalked it up as good karma and decided to use the class to take a nap. No one would wake him thinking that he would miss important information so it work for him even more. After all, who would care if he got his education other than himself.
Landon woke from his sleep as the class grew noisy, signifying that the bell would ring soon. He put his notebook in his bookbag and cradled his book in his arm. When the final bell rang, he bolted for the door and to his locker to unload his last textbook. This could possibly be one of those rare days where things just fall into place for him. Landon shook the thought from his head so he wouldn't jinx his last few minutes on this wretched high school campus. The lock spun quickly in his paw. He never missed a number and had it unlocked in two seconds flat; a new personal best. His excess books were put away in a flash. After getting outside to the bus loading zone of the school, Landon noticed how much energy he had built up. He checked his phone and the digital read for the time said it was still a little after a quarter till three. He needed to get home but also needed to get rid of this excited electrical energy flowing through him. He hadn't felt this way in a long time and wasn't planning on wasting it.
Landon made his way off the school grounds to the woods across the street.
As he passed the threshold of the wooded area, he began to pick up speed. He started to jog in the direction of his neighborhood as his feet moved faster and faster. The leaves under his hindpaws  barely making noise as he shot over them. Landon saw that the stream was coming up soon and prepared himself to spring over it. The edge of the water only knew him for a moment as he greeted the sky over the water.
"Whoo-hoo!" The sound of thrill and enjoyment came out of the werewolf teen as he came out of his leap and landed. Then something in his psyche switched over his thought pattern. He felt a warm, prickling feeling in his limbs as he lunged forward and started moving on all fours through the woods. The lower position felt right to his body, so he did not think twice about it. His clothes and backpack stayed the same as he twisted through the spacing between the trees' trunks. The edge of the forest was nearing and he felt his body stand upright and continue forward, not breaking speed at all. He noticed the street he was on as one not far from his bus stop. He turned down one street early and slowed as he cut through the yards to reach his back door. Pulling his key from his bag, Landon opened the door breathing a bit heavy but not in a tired manner. Everything around him slowed to normal speeds as he came off his forest high. It had been awhile since he took the forest route to get home. It was an effective way to rid himself of pent up stress but it also made him a bit sleepy. There were ingredients for a sandwich in the kitchen so Landon made himself one and ate half of it before laying on the couch to take a nap. It didn't take long for him to go under and in mere moments, he was dreaming of the forest.

The back door clicked and slowly opened. A stalky figure stepped into the home and crept slow toward the bigs screen on the wall in the living room. As it made it's way passed the couch he turned to see the young full generation wolf laying out asleep. The intruder reached into his waist pack and removed an oversized syringe with a grace that did not match it's size and build. The teen wolf's noes twitched and his eyes shot open as the unknown person uncapped the needle and jammed it in the young wolf's jugular and hit the plunger. The kid fought and snarled but grew weak as the drug took effect. The hefty man easily picked up the wolf and carried him off over his shoulder out the way he came and closed the door behind him; making off into the night with his target.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Yipes!!! We have wolf-nappery afoot!!! This is why I hate needles...they do sneaky horrible things like kidnap children and put IV's in by bad nurses who can't find a vein and thus go digging for it like lost gold. Nice!

--Tony
"Woof."

#16 2011-04-14 06:54:30

LandonOokami

You quoted my whole second section by mistake I think...

Werewolves run monthly

#17 2011-04-14 13:50:20

ShadowWolf2010
Website

LandonOokami wrote:

I liked it so much I quoted it all after I couldn't find a great place to cut to put in the reply. big_smile

--Tony
"Woof."

#18 2011-04-14 22:10:04

LandonOokami

ShadowWolf2010 wrote:

LandonOokami wrote:

I liked it so much I quoted it all after I couldn't find a great place to cut to put in the reply. big_smile

Well thank you. Thank you all for reading this. I'm working on part 3 now. wink

Werewolves run monthly

#19 2011-04-15 08:12:34

Ridgewolf

Nice piece and a nice... Well not nice but interesting... Intriging part to end with.

Waiting for more smile

Ps: I has school holidays so now it's my turn to post a story!

Wolfs 'n' Minecraft <3

#20 2011-04-15 14:14:09

RedMoonstruck

Not really my style of werewolf story but you make it compelling just the same with your style of writing. Again you do a good job describing things. I like how the main character is lanky and not 'bulky' like many werewolves, although I'm wondering if his clothes still fit him in his werewolf form or if he's always in his wolf form or if it's involuntary, etc. I hope you'll explain some of the finer details later on. The way you have it now, however, is interesting because it keeps the reader interested to find out more - at least it does me, anyway. You do a good job writing sympathetic characters as well and I can see where this may parallel not only "therians" in a social setting but also simply those who have felt "different" in school because of their interests. The pacing is also largely well done, except for the part where he is kidnapped. I think you could have built it up just a bit more. I like how you make the reader think that he is perhaps a thief there to take the television. I was thinking "Oh snap! He's gonna get his butt handed to him by that werewolf! XD"

#21 2011-04-15 14:21:50

ShadowWolf2010
Website

RedMoonstruck wrote:

Not really my style of werewolf story but you make it compelling just the same with your style of writing. Again you do a good job describing things. I like how the main character is lanky and not 'bulky' like many werewolves, although I'm wondering if his clothes still fit him in his werewolf form or if he's always in his wolf form or if it's involuntary, etc. I hope you'll explain some of the finer details later on. The way you have it now, however, is interesting because it keeps the reader interested to find out more - at least it does me, anyway. You do a good job writing sympathetic characters as well and I can see where this may parallel not only "therians" in a social setting but also simply those who have felt "different" in school because of their interests. The pacing is also largely well done, except for the part where he is kidnapped. I think you could have built it up just a bit more. I like how you make the reader think that he is perhaps a thief there to take the television. I was thinking "Oh snap! He's gonna get his butt handed to him by that werewolf! XD"

I believe the main character is what I would  call a "full generation" werewolf, which in my book series is a werewolf who is born permenantly shifted into wolf form and can never take human shape due to a genetic mutation thats essentially caused by a faulty gene. Full generations are somewhat rarer than shifters and often have a hard time in life adapting because society treats them even worse than shifters and they don't really have any where to hide.

Curiously, Landon, is the kidnapping part of what I think it might part of, the rash of dissappearences that happened in the summer of 2009? If not, when does this story take place? I really like how you let us get inside a teenagers mind. I had almost forgotten what it was like to be that age and feeling the  same way. This is really good because it means that your characters are identifiable and empathetic, we can put ourselves in their shoes. Who hasn't felt awkward or embarassed at school or in the case of the main character, singled out in some way or another?

By all means keep this coming! Its getting better each time!

--Tony
"Woof."

#22 2011-04-15 15:07:50

RedMoonstruck

ShadowWolf2010 wrote:

I believe the main character is what I would  call a "full generation" werewolf, which in my book series is a werewolf who is born permenantly shifted into wolf form and can never take human shape due to a genetic mutation thats essentially caused by a faulty gene. Full generations are somewhat rarer than shifters and often have a hard time in life adapting because society treats them even worse than shifters and they don't really have any where to hide.

Ah, I see. I was wondering why he made note of the others as 'shifters' in his school. I thought perhaps they were like beings that could shift into a full animal form rather than a hybrid like he was. Pretty interesting stuff.

#23 2011-04-15 16:08:11

wolflove

This story is getting very interesting! Can't wait until the part comes!

My heart sings to the moon and with the wind, sending tribute to it whenever I can.

#24 2011-04-15 18:41:02

ShadowWolf2010
Website

RedMoonstruck wrote:

ShadowWolf2010 wrote:

Ah, I see. I was wondering why he made note of the others as 'shifters' in his school. I thought perhaps they were like beings that could shift into a full animal form rather than a hybrid like he was. Pretty interesting stuff.

I really am humbled to see other authors already using the werewolf biology I've made.  Landon is doing a smashing job of writing this piece and with a bit of polish, it could make a great book in its own right from what we've seen thus far.

--Tony
"Woof."

#25 2011-04-15 19:14:12

RedMoonstruck

ShadowWolf2010 wrote:

RedMoonstruck wrote:

ShadowWolf2010 wrote:

I really am humbled to see other authors already using the werewolf biology I've made.  Landon is doing a smashing job of writing this piece and with a bit of polish, it could make a great book in its own right from what we've seen thus far.

I think so, too. But, out of curiosity, how would you two reconcile the content in regards to lycanthropic myth/biology, seeing as how LandonOokami's is based on yours? I mean, if you two both wanted to eventually publish?

Board footer