The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-19 03:19:38

RedMoonstruck

Amber Peace *Possibly some stuff NSFW*

Gonna try reposting. I'm a little worried that some of the later stuff may be a bit...sensitive to some people and I wanted to make sure of that in the subject heading....Not that many people read my last post or anything.

I will start with a more exciting scene rather than the very beginning. My story is very character driven and so the whole werewolf thing doesn't really get going until about half way through. This scene is rather late in the story and is close to the climax of Part 1. I'll probably be rewriting this at some later date as there are lot of things that are bugging me about it but I'd love to hear what you guys have to say. smile

EDIT: Because the story arc for part 2 is more action oriented and delves more into the the werewolf mythos I think I will continue onward from here. I'm sure people here would be more interested in reading that. tongue If there is more interest I will post some from the first arc, which as I said is far more character driven and lycanthropy tends to take a backseat. However, I haven't completed part 2 and am actually pretty early in as I'm trying to iron out a few things from part 1. I hope to have character sheets up on my deviantart gallery (rare-form.deviantart.com) sometime soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As her reality slowly snapped into place around her like puzzle pieces slipping into each other one by one, Autumn laid on the forest floor, staring into space and struggling to breathe. The first thing she noticed was a distinct, sharp pain that ran from just below her left rib to her shoulder blade. It seeped through to the front of her abdomen like water through a thin cloth. With every effort she made to roll over onto her back or to push herself away from the ground, the pain would writhe inside her, suppressing her into submission. The wound itself was wet, and so cold that it felt like a brand burning into her flesh. Her skin began to tingle wherever the air happened to touch it, like ice pressed against her bare skin. It completely drowned out the other discomforts pressed into her cheek and stomach.

The second thing she noticed was that she couldn’t seem to catch her breath. Her eyes were glazed over as though they were unable to focus on anything but staying conscious. With every breath that pumped through her body, the deep wound on her side steadily grew more and more painful, until it had gone from a dull, numbing ache, to a piercing, blinding paroxysm that caused her breathing to quicken and grow shallow lest it overcome her entirely.

It was suddenly difficult to see, as though the moon had gone behind a cloud, but the smell of blood was everywhere. The lanterns from earlier were now little more than dark, jagged litter on the forest floor. In the dim light she couldn’t recognize any of it apart from one another. She couldn’t feel the presence of those who had attacked her earlier. Had they all run away? Squinting into the darkness, she could barely make out the vague shapes of limp human bodies scattered about the floor. The one nearest her was a male. A deep shadow clung to the back of his head where it had caved in. The cold, gamey scent of urine on fabric only confirmed what she already knew. The one after that was also a male, bigger than the first. She couldn’t tell what had killed him, only that he wasn’t moving. The one farthest from her was smaller, but it was difficult to tell whether it was a man or a woman. It was partially hidden from view by the trees.

Suddenly, the big man began to cough. Autumn gripped the chilled earth like a child clings to her mother’s skirts, as she watched the man slowly and unsteadily rise to his feet. She could sense his confusion and his rousing anger as the pieces of what had just happened began to click back into place. She tried to shrink back in fear, but the searing agony once again ripped through her side, holding her hostage against the sticky, frigid earth.

Dave leaned on his rifle for support. The world spun around him in a maddening dance. For a moment he couldn’t remember how he ended up with a deep laceration to his head, or part of his shoulder missing. It was difficult to remember much at all. The chill in the early spring air had begun to work its way into the wounds. Although they did not hurt much at the moment, he could feel the cold pulling forth a tingling sensation as a sort of pressure began to pulsate just below the surface of his skull. He turned around slowly to see a small figure lying on the ground. She was naked but for a thick coat of blood clinging in large, irregular patches over her pale skin. Her large, dark eyes were empty as she panted in short, steady breaths. He knew they were looking at him, even though he couldn’t make out much more detail about her face in the dim light of the forest, even with the partial moon softly lighting up the sky. There was a large dark swath in her side from where the skinning knife had slipped easily into her body. The shock of it had returned her to her human form almost instantaneously. Had she remained bound as she was supposed to and he could have inserted the blade just beneath her pelt as was proper, then none of them would be standing there like shell-shocked soldiers. He stared at the shadow cut deep into her flesh as the memories of what had brought about their current situation began flooding into his brain like a tsunami.

Joe hadn’t double checked the knots on the rope, and as Autumn shifted, so did her strength. As she had writhed and screamed, her left arm came free. They all had backed away in fear, but Dave instantly stepped forward again to fire a few bullets into her. He aimed for her head, but she was moving too wildly. When the bullets pierced her flesh she flinched and howled in wretched agony. No sooner had they entered, however, they were pushed out again. A werewolf at the peak of transformation was virtually invincible. Their bodies undergo an accelerated rate of regeneration and any attack is useless as it will either be completely absorbed or completely healed by the time another is inflicted to take its place, which was precisely why Dave was trying to aim for her head; it was the only sure way to kill a werewolf.

A moment later and Autumn was on her feet, her metamorphosis very near to completion. Only a few pale patches of skin had yet to be filled in around her muzzle and torso. It didn’t appear to hinder her in the least as she leapt at the nearest unfortunate with a devastating roar that carried an unsettling undertone of a human girl screaming. Joe went down quickly. He hardly had time to cry out as the enraged beast broke the muzzle trying to bite into his head. Joe collapsed instantly and wasn’t moving as Autumn tore at the restricting device which came away from her face as easily as Joe’s life had been separated from his body. Just before she was able to rip into Joe’s throat, a piercing scream alerted the creature’s attention. She looked up to see Miriam turn and begin to run, and in only two great bounds the maddened beast had her in her violent embrace. Miriam’s screams were silenced as she tore into her throat. The rest of her body parts came away easily as though they had been designed that way. Autumn had just begun to pull at some of the tender flesh on the woman’s breast when a deafening boom fired right near her head.

The demon whipped around with a snarl. Dave stood with the rifle pointed between her eyes. For a moment they were transfixed as they stared deep into each other’s eyes; his small brown ones wide, seemingly no match for her black voids that felt as though they were trying to suck in his very soul. He had never seen eyes on a werewolf like her’s before. On most werewolves they seemed to glow from the fires of their inner rage, but Autumn’s were large, round, and empty. Only the faint glimmer of the moon reflecting in them and the brief glimpse of white in their corners, indicated that she had eyes at all.

The pounding of his heart in his chest made aiming difficult. The muzzle of the rifle trembled as it pointed at her forehead. Her scratchy growls sent waves of anxiety through his body as every nerve within it begged him to run. She crouched, ready to strike at the slightest movement, her snarl intense where the black line of her lower lip wrapped tightly around her sharp front teeth. They glinted white in the dim light of the half moon. Her fur was matted with gore making parts of her melt smoothly into the shadows of the forest.
Very slowly, Dave began to pull the trigger, and Autumn looked on with bristling fur as though challenging him to pull it all the way.

Still shaking, Dave slowly pulled the trigger. It clicked harmlessly.

As if on cue, Autumn leapt forward, talons out stretched. She ripped a hole in his scalp, her teeth leaving deep grooves in his skull as her claws shredded his shoulders.

The beast let out a piercing cry. Burning, black blood erupted from her open skin like sea spray. The skinning knife was knocked free from Dave’s hand as it met with her rib. Tumbling head over heels, the werewolf screeched in agony, releasing her prey upon meeting the earth. Her world closed in on her, the pain seized control of her body. Convulsions rippled through her like electrical currents. She flopped about pitifully for a few moments like a dying fish before her monstrous form quickly began to retreat into its former state.

Autumn saw the colour drain from the man’s face as he looked about the battlefield. Her eyes were wide and dark, like a frightened doe. Dave’s small, brown eyes only burned into her with an undying hatred. The corners of his mouth pulled darkened crevices around the edges of his nose and eyes. The muscles in his jaws flexed as he gritted his teeth together. Huffs of intense emotion rushed out through his coarse lips like dragon fire as he tried to close the distance between him and the vulnerable abomination.

Her breath began to quicken. The man was limping nearer. His feet hushed heavily into the leafy litter about the forest floor, followed by a dry ripping sound from where the barrel of the rifle dragged against the hardened earth.  The vibrations sent timorous echoes of pain through her wound. He paused to bend down in an awkward, shaky motion, collecting a few rifle rounds from the dirt. She watched him remove the empty magazine from the gun with deft though vibrating hands, and reload it with fresh rounds. Tears began to well up in her eyes as sweat poured down her body. The world around her seemed to be growing dimmer. The cold that had nestled itself into the deepest part of her injury began to spread like a fungus to her other parts. By the time he had reached her, she was beginning to tremble uncontrollably.

The two regarded each other wordlessly. Autumn looked up at him with blank, though innocent eyes, but the pure anger simmering within his granted her little hope of reprieve. He struggled to lift the weapon to place the end of the barrel onto her head. She could barely feel the cold of the steel, only the pressure as it rested against her skull. Closing her eyes, she waited for it all to end, and found herself wondering if she would hear the gun go off before she actually died.

There was a loud bang. Autumn opened her eyes. It took a moment to realize that she wasn’t dead. She could sense someone else nearby. Bassy growls sent deep vibrations into the ground, her chest, and her wound. A large black shadow wrestled with Dave. The white of his dirty orderly uniform stood out against the night like a stain. The two skirted around the small clearing in a tight waltz. The shadow had clamped down onto the forestock of the gun with its jaws. Dave swore through clenched teeth as the monster had sunk its talons into his already raw shoulders.

After a moment of creeping tension, the wood shattered into splinters beneath the strength of its bite just as the man collapsed under the influence of its pain. Autumn watched with wide, slightly unfocused eyes as the creature tore into the man noisily. Just as Dave had fallen to his knees, it had struck forward and bit deeply into his neck and shoulder. He let out a short cry before an abrupt shake of its head quickly silenced him. When it finally let the body fall from its jaws, Dave was little more than a bloody pile of broken bones in a bag of skin.
Moments skipped ahead. She was awoken from her reverie, not that she could recall what it was, by an overpowering heat looming over her. The metallic scent of human blood obscured all else. The sound of deep gruff panting pulsed in her ear. Only certain spots on her body seemed to still preserve some sensation as she felt it sniff up and down her body, its breath was hot though its nose was cold and damp. She tried to remain as still as possible, hoping that perhaps it would grow bored of her, like a bear does when it realizes that its meat is no longer so fresh. It hovered over her wound for a moment before dragging its burning tongue over the length of it. A terrible scream erupted from her before she was even aware of what was happening. The black monster licked it a few more times desperately, before realizing that it was doing nothing to help. He pulled away for a moment, tilting his head involuntarily to the side and whined. The wound had tasted bitter, like licking steel.

Deep whimpering, almost like a man weeping, breathed into her ear. She swallowed dryly as she tried to look up. Two piercing greenish-blue eyes gazed out of a darkness that was blacker than the night around her. Her heart came alive again almost instantly. Terror had reanimated it. She whined as she tried weakly to press herself away from the beast. She knew who it was, but she refused to think of his name in that instant as though doing so would summon its bite.

The black creature moved towards her, pointed ears lowered in a submission to grief, whimpering now turning over to outright sobbing. The pitches capped with whistles like a dog’s yelp, as he tried to embrace her in great, powerful arms of midnight.

Autumn cried out pitifully as the monster slowly turned her onto her back. His hands were large, the black pads on his palms and finger tips felt like soft, human flesh, though they still felt as though they burned into her skin like fire brands. He cradled her as gently as he could. The fever growing in her body augmented the coarseness of his fur, making it feel as though she were being wrapped in a blanket of thorns. She stared at the large white mark splashed in the center of his chest as though mesmerized. Looking into her eyes, panic began to overtake him. They were beginning to glaze over.

“Asher...,” the word breathed out of her as she suddenly recognized his scent.

He licked her face in response and got to his feet. Asher knew that she needed medical attention; there was nothing he could do for her. Unfortunately, the only people that were nearby that he knew could help were back in that place.

Last edited by RedMoonstruck (2011-04-20 02:52:38)

#2 2011-04-19 19:28:02

wolflove

Re: Amber Peace *Possibly some stuff NSFW*

I like this story. The vivid descriptions of the scene was great. I hope to see more!

My heart sings to the moon and with the wind, sending tribute to it whenever I can.

#3 2011-04-20 02:41:59

RedMoonstruck

Thank you. smile But because this scene takes place so late in the first arc I'm not sure what to post after it. o_o;

#4 2011-04-20 17:58:49

RedMoonstruck

Continuing onward from last time, this is leading into the climax of Part 1. The characters have already been established by this time so a brief bit of background info on Asher and Hayden;

Asher Perlitov is/was a priest that came to Amber Peace Asylum for the Mentally Insane four years before in order to tutor Autumn and also to run the chapel there. He's got a pretty spotty past and is over 80 years old (because of their regenerative powers, werewolves age slower than humans. They also don't keep track of their age after a certain point because of this). He's also only partially Broken, which means he still has trouble controlling his wolf. He's sought refuge in his religion throughout his life and so eventually decided to become a priest. He is tortured by the murder of his first girlfriend way back in Russia as he found her cheating on him and flew into a rage that launched his first transformation. He mauled her and was so terrified by what happened (although he doesn't recall a large part of it, which is perhaps the scariest part for him) he abandoned his home and hasn't seen his family since. He's since lead a very busy and tormented life and has developed an unhealthy crush on Autumn for several reasons I won't go into here. Autumn returns his affection but because she is so young doesn't understand the scope of their relationship, and after discovering that he has lied to her about his true nature, doesn't really want anything to do with him. (Also that he pretty much manipulated her into sleeping with him in a moment of weakness. Also, FYI, Autumn holds grudges. ;P)

Vance Hayden is a British rogue from a wealthy, lycanthrope family in the Western side of London (I'm, sadly, not too familiar with that area as I've never been there. So the exact location of his origins will remain unimportant for now.) He's a bit of a horndog and a smartass but can also be very charming and charismatic when it suits him (especially when it comes to the conquest of women), and enjoys pissing people off. He's also slightly psychotic and violent which is mostly due to the influence of his wolf. And has a very mercurial attitude when it comes to most things. He's also quite unusual for a werewolf as he's very spoiled and feels that he hides best when surrounded by people.  He despises the woods and likes his meat only medium rare. He's roughly 176 years old but looks to be about his early thirties or late twenties, and, unlike Asher and Autumn, comes from a long line of lycanthropes, who have remained, for the most part, pure blood. Asher and Autumn are anomalous in that their fathers were both werewolves and somehow their human mothers were able to carry them to term. (In my werewolf mythos, female werewolves are very rare which makes Autumn all the more valuable. Most offspring between a werewolf and a human don't make it past the first trimester or will eventually tax the mother to the point of death. If a child IS produced then they are often very weak and die within their first six to eight years of life. Or, they will make it to about their early teens and experience their first transformation early, and because their bodies are more human than lycanthrope, they are unable to withstand it and will often die a painful, malformed death.)

ANYWAY, on to the story! >.<

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If only he had been here sooner, he thought, tears beginning to glitter in his eyes as he looked down at her. He had come for her only moments after she had disappeared from B ward. He knew something felt wrong on his way inside, but he didn’t question his good fortunate upon finding the guard asleep at his desk. It took a few intense moments to locate the right set of keys, however. There were many to choose from hanging on hooks near the door. He took the set with the tag that read “BWW”, which he hoped meant “B ward, women”.
From there it was only a matter of avoiding the other guards patrolling the facility. Most of the orderlies had retired for the evening so he knew there would be little threat there. It was awkward at first, moving through the building. He hadn’t been terribly familiar with the layout of B ward. The smell of bleach and rubbing alcohol had numbed his nose from detecting her scent right away. Eventually, he discovered the entrance to the women’s ward. Half-expecting there to be a guard stationed outside there as well, he thanked his good fortune that there was not. Unfortunately, the door was locked. He hoped dearly that his instincts had been correct. After fumbling with the keys for a few moments, trying different ones, and constantly looking over his shoulder and pausing to hear if anyone approached, one finally clicked into place.

The row of large, white metal doors had been daunting at first. He had no idea what number door she was being held behind. Asher passed by each slowly, waiting for her scent or her sound to jump out at him. But the door was already unlocked when he arrived. He recognized the smell of cigarettes and floral perfume as Nurse Miriam’s, the other two were male, most likely Dave Saunders, and another orderly. His heart pounded at the smell of Autumn’s fear. He placed his hand on the cot. It had just begun to cool!

Hurriedly, he exited the building through the same way the kidnappers had; an unlocked emergency door in the back of the building. He lingered in the doorway a moment, assessing what direction they have gone as he began to remove his clothes. It would be easier to track them once he had shifted.  He moved through the woods, feeling the change sweep over him as he went. The intense pressure, and sudden stinging throughout his body didn’t alarm him, only hindered him occasionally in his rush to rescue her. With the painful crunch of his legs and back extending he stumbled forward but caught himself and continued on all fours. His grunts of agony and panic had already morphed into a mixture of pants and growls deep within his chest, and he barrelled faster and faster through the dense pine forest like a rampaging bear. The sound of gunshots had quickened his pace as well as his heart. All the indications of that sound rang poignantly through his mind; it would no doubt attract attention from other humans, as well as Hayden. He had to get to her before he did.

She seemed small and almost child-like in the vastness of his inhuman form. The thought of not knowing what had happened filled him with a bitter anger and a frigid dread. The wound smelled curiously of burning flesh and ozone. It stirred unpleasant memories deep within him, they rose to the surface like oil separating from water. The thought of what could have happened, what was happening, made his hair stand on end. He almost wished that Autumn hadn’t had already killed the others. Mauling the one wasn’t enough to satisfy his thirst for vengeance. He tried to let it go, clicking his teeth again, biting back the influence of his primal self. There were far more important things to worry about.

Just as he was ready to turn back to the asylum, he sensed an unwelcome presence nearby. A snarl curled his lip even before he turned back around.

The eyes of the mottled gold and silver creature glinted briefly in the moonlight as he emerged into the clearing on all fours. Perking his ears forward in a gesture of confidence, he opened his mouth in a distinctive grin. The two beasts locked eyes as they assessed each other sceptically.
Hayden stood erect, making the length in his torso more noticeable. He glanced at Autumn, who was still barely clinging to life in Asher’s arms, and then back to Asher. With a twitch of a pointed ear and a soft, but demanding snort, Asher knew that he had come for her.

Asher crouched onto the ground, head and shoulder protectively curled around Autumn. He glared at him with narrowed, piercing blue eyes, his brow and nose wrinkled in a closed mouth snarl. His ears were pointed forward aggressively, the thick black mane around his neck and shoulders bristling as a current of rage flowed through him.

The ebony beast emitted a low growl, but did not show his teeth, instead he backed off, lowering his ears and head as though bowing. Hayden watched him closely, unblinking and curious. He nodded towards Autumn and then looked towards the compound before returning an expectant gaze toward his foe. Hayden merely tilted his head as though confused. A maniacal grin slowly slid across his face, his thick tongue lolling out from between his sharp bottom fangs. His expression quickly morphed into a savage snarl as he stepped forward, snapping his jaws, his ears perked forward and his fur bristled along his ruff and shoulders. He barked sharply before groaning a threat, making very clear his refusal. Asher immediately snarled back angrily, his growl much more bassy and hoarse than Hayden’s underscored a slight nasal drawl. He clutched Autumn to his chest tightly. Her pale body seemed almost to glow like the moon against the darkness of his pelt. His enemy’s lack of concern for his own prize disgusted him. Knowing that his call for a truce in order to see Autumn to safety would most likely have been rejected anyway, he felt silly for having even asked. Asher gritted his teeth, the sensation causing him to twitch once again impulsively, wishing for the ability to speak with the mouth of a wolf. He tried not to regret that he had rejected Hayden’s offer earlier.

Cautiously and carefully, the hulking, black, creature laid his helpless charge upon the ground furthest from Hayden’s reach. He licked her cheek as though to reassure her that he would return momentarily. Her eyelids had begun to droop, however, and she hardly felt it. He was already beginning to tremble with fury. Asher crossed himself. He knew that he would no doubt lose time throughout the fight, characteristic of his dilemma. He clacked his jaws sideways involuntarily. Another side effect of fighting two battles was annoying, periodic twitches as he tried to maintain control especially when he was this close to losing it. In his human form, he was able to keep much of the physical evidence of his struggle in check, but in this form, when his wolf was so close to taking over completely, it became more difficult. Hayden let out a snort, his grin turning more sincere upon noticing the ticks. The pathetic sight forced a gravelly sound of amusement from his throat.

All the more enraged by Hayden’s laugh, Asher suddenly launched himself forward with a great roar that split through the quiet night air like thunder. His adversary braced himself, holding out his arms and grinning as though embracing the attack. Asher hit him with the force of a train, and the two went flying, claws and teeth sinking into one another’s flesh. Hayden stumbled back until a tree impeded their momentum. Planting his feet firmly on the ground, he held Asher back with a bite into his shoulder.

He could tell by the intense look in Asher’s eye that he was no longer in control of his body. Hayden had fought unbroken werewolves before and while they seemed stronger, their reasoning mind no longer present to hold their strength in check, they were often reckless and motivated more by passion and instinct than logic. Because of their resiliency, they were a formidable foe, which was exactly why only the strongest of the Pack were permitted to take them on when it was time to Break them, thus allowing the control of their more rational identities.

The two ripped apart, the blood and fur of the other still clinging to their teeth before they met again. Asher nearly tripped over the body of Dave, and Hayden leaned forward to clamp onto his muzzle, sinking his talons into his throat. The savage black monster managed to regain his balance before his enemy could wrestle him to the ground, and with a swift blow to his head, Hayden released him. Before he could recover, Asher jumped forward, snapping his enormous jaws and trying to seize him so that he could force him downward. The wily, blonde werewolf was faster however. He pulled back, moving with the onslaught of his foe’s assault.

Again they separated and briefly strode around the clearing, growling insults at one another as blood dripped from their fangs, claws, and wounds. He leapt forward again. They blocked one another’s strikes with their talons and teeth, until the black beast managed to clamp onto Hayden’s ear, and together they stumbled to the ground with Asher on top, opening a shallow gash in Hayden’s inner thigh with his hind claws, uncomfortably close to his groin.

The sudden sting unsettled Hayden and he let out a short cry before his teeth found his adversary’s cheek just as Asher’s own were closing in to rake across his throat. The black brute’s talons dug into the sides of Hayden’s face while he struggled violently against his grip, the blonde werewolf’s own talons sinking into Asher’s ribs. Finally, he managed to break free, a large chunk of his cheek coming off within Hayden’s jaws which abruptly snapped forward again in trying to find a new piece of meat to clamp onto, his incisors barely scraping the sensitive flesh from Asher’s muzzle.

Asher stumbled back, and Hayden regained his feet. They backed down once again, panting heavily between growls. Blood clumped their fur together in large patches. Gaping wounds decorated their bodies but were quickly filling in as the adrenaline coursed through them. The irregular hole in Asher’s face would take a bit longer to heal, however, and for now it was overcome with dark liquid that glimmer briefly in the dim light, the change in texture being the only hint as to its presence. Hayden's one good eye, the other having been gouged at some point in their scuffling, studied his opponent piercingly, that infuriating grin once again gracing his countenance.

They both paused and looked up at the sound of men crashing clumsily through the forest. They had roughly ten minutes before they would be upon them, but neither were certain if Autumn had any longer than that. Hayden took the opportunity to leap at Asher, picking up something from beneath the leaf letter as he bounded forward. The ebony creature turned just as his adversary’s fangs sunk into the tough flesh of his shoulder, narrowly missing his neck. Asher pressed to the side, trying to find a grip on Hayden’s own shoulder in turn before their bodies met completely.

Hayden suddenly slipped away before Asher’s teeth found any purchase at all. The two faced each other on all fours for a moment before rising. Hayden’s tongue lolled as he panted, his dark blue eyes wild from the fight.

Asher snarled and took a step forward. A flash of severe, burning pain erupted from his gut. And when he looked down, his wolf had completely retreated, leaving Asher stunned and confused at the sight of his blood leaking from an open wound like water from a split barrel. Adrenaline had largely numbed his body to the wounds Hayden had inflicted upon him, but this was different. The agony rang like a song throughout his body, louder and more piercingly than any other. His knees suddenly collapsed beneath him. Hayden was grinning again when he looked up. He stood on his hind legs and waved something small and sharp at him playfully. It was the skinning knife.

Holding the injury in his palm, Asher fell forward, catching himself with his free hand. Ice and fire coursed through his veins with every beat of his heart sending waves of nausea through his stomach. His head swam and an intense pressure began to sweep through his body, forcing him completely to the ground. His body began to contort and mutate, growing smaller. Hayden stepped over his writhing body, glancing down when he felt something seize his ankle. Asher returned his gaze with fierce eyes, his features already beginning to mutate, looking more human with each passing second. The deep gash in his cheek rapidly filled in as he transformed. Hayden looked down at him with a mocking smirked and snorted. He pulled away from his weakening grip easily. Asher growled at him, trembling, curling his shrinking talons into the cold earth before letting out a sharp, pained cry.

Autumn was still awake, although her breathing had grown shallow, and her sense of reality was muted as though a veil had been laid over her eyes. Hayden’s self-satisfied smile began to fade upon noticing the pallor of her skin and the smell of infection beginning to gestate within the wound. He paused to look about the ground and located a shred of clothing from one of the dead humans. He tore it and wrapped the knife in it carefully before gripping it securely in his teeth. He then bent over and very gently, gathered Autumn’s limp, feverish body in his arms.

Asher grunted. His lips moved silently, trying to form words in his still-changing state. Fluid trickled from his eyes, nose and mouth. He reached out to her as Hayden carried her by. He made sure Asher saw him as he softly licked the sweat from her brow.  Autumn’s eyes were already empty. Hayden looked up beyond him; ears perked forward and tracked the sound of men’s voices yelling at each other through the forest. Their flash lights moved back and forth through the trees like search lights.

Time seemed to slow around him as Asher watched his beloved slip away into the night. She seemed to take everything with her the further she receded from his vision; the feeling in his body, the sound in his ears, the scent in his nose, and the light from his eyes. His long life passed before him as swiftly as a thought, and poured out onto the forest floor in a puddle beneath his torso. He found that even though he been alive for so long, he was amazed at what little he had accomplished, and the limited amount of enlightenment he had recognized throughout his life. He would never know peace within himself or with his wolf. It was as though he had resigned himself to his fate long ago. And now, he was sure that he hadn’t deserved someone like Autumn to begin with. He had lost his right to her the moment he allowed himself the pleasure of taking an innocent life, of indulging in physicality, and resisting the need to forgive himself and others. The collar he had worn as a priest had always seemed too tight for him, and he had always known why, but was too ashamed to admit it even to himself. He recoiled from the concept of shame, hating it almost as much as himself. In his heart, as his trembling hand reached out to everything he had ever lost, he prayed to God, any god, to allow him just one more chance to prove that he could deserve, would deserve, someone like Autumn. He realized the irony of only just discovering he had the strength to change upon his death bed. A surge of rage at the injustice of it flared within him and then fell away like a tide as his body began to grow weaker and colder. He stared into the distance for a long time, a tear sliding down his face from the storm brewing in his eyes. Just before they began to glaze over, the dark of the night turned and swallowed him whole.

Last edited by RedMoonstruck (2011-04-20 20:54:47)

#5 2011-04-22 02:19:15

RedMoonstruck

Most, if not all, of the third person stuff will be rewritten into first. The upcoming section will be told from Hayden's POV, although he'll be challenging as he has a thick British cadence. This and his blood line seem to have little influence over his vulgarity though. And he will be challenging to write, methinks. You'll see what I mean in the next section. D:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayden didn’t think he would have been as concerned for the girl as he thought he was. Hayden sometimes didn’t think things through very well. He had underestimated Asher’s strength and determination, and he had overestimated the amount of time he had. Autumn’s wound had already begun to grow infected. It didn’t show signs of it yet, however, it emitted a slightly metallic, mildewy odour characteristic of the early stages. He had to hurry lest it grew further inward, destroying her, and his chances of getting paid. He hadn’t thought it would be this hard to complete a simple mission. All things sounded easier in theory, he thought.

The bitter taste of Asher’s blood was still strong in his mouth as he ran through the forest, carrying the soiled dagger wrapped in a bloody rag tightly between his teeth, and the nearly lifeless body of his pay cheque in his arms. She had grunted and moaned a few times at the start of their journey as he leapt over fallen logs and ducked beneath tree limbs, but she soon fell silent. He paused a moment beside a stream to check on her, lying her down on the cold rocks. Her hair clung to her hot, clammy skin like seaweed, but she was still breathing. He growled at her frustratingly, spit soaking the cloth in his mouth. He grabbed her face roughly and turned it this way and that, trying to see if she would open her eyes. Finally, taking the object from his mouth he let out a piercing bark into her face, demanding that she look at him. Her lids fluttered momentarily and she slowly opened her eyes. They were dark and dim, though beginning to glimmer with fever. Satisfied, he bit down on the cloth once again, and tried to force himself to gently pick her up again instead of merely seizing her carelessly. She felt like glass in his arms, light and delicate, though heavy with pain and illness. He was still in some pain himself. The cruel kick to his manhood, although it was already beginning to heal, still stung and complained whenever he moved. At least he wouldn’t have to worry about that moonstruck fool following them. The humans would discover his body and it would no doubt be enough to buy him some time until he was able to escape further into the mountains. But first, he had to stop and get her some first aid.

What normally would have been an hour’s walk from the asylum to one of his many hideouts, turned into a roughly thirty minute sprint through the woods. It would have been sooner if he hadn’t been made to carry an injured, sick young girl. He had witnessed such a wound before in his travels, but he was only somewhat familiar with the tool used to inflict it. He was well aware of the special weapons designed specifically for the killing or skinning of werewolves. They had mysterious properties somehow assigned to them that prevented the lacerations which they inflicted from healing right away. When used properly, such as in the case of the skinning knife, they could expertly remove the hide of a werewolf, which had to be done while the unfortunate creature still lived. Typically, a meaningful injury, such as the kind created when the blade is driven into the body, results in a dramatic degeneration, returning the werewolf to its vulnerable human state, and most likely killing it in the end. Usually wounds inflicted by such a weapon have a signature scent; a somewhat chemical smell treated with the bitter redolence of burning flesh as, with repeated use, the weapon would continue to grow hotter. Removing the skin of a werewolf was a skill that required both talent and sense of urgency, as one is not only racing against the moment the beast may pass, thus shedding its bestial guise as well as its valuable fur, but also the amount of time it takes for the weapon to heat beyond the point of burning one’s hand. Most werewolves who fall victim to hunters usually only have the hide on their back and shoulders removed as it is not only the thickest, but also the easiest to obtain.

At least, Hayden thought, this saved him the trouble of breaking into the asylum itself in order to free her. Had female werewolves not been such a rare commodity, he would have gladly moved on to other places. He had considered it good fortune that one had turned up so close to the area to which he must return. In his reconnaissance around the land of Amber Peace, he had stumbled upon an abandoned hunter’s lodge. It was tiny, having only one six by six room with fire place and two windows, and was in disrepair with a noticeable hole in the roof and severely disintegrated floorboards. Luckily there was still a mattress and a few pots, pans, and even a table left behind from the previous owners, which, judging by the smell, had been quite some time ago. Hayden could be quite resourceful when it suited him, and it wasn’t long before he had repaired the hole in the roof with a few borrowed wooden planks from the asylum. He used the same sort of planks to cover the weakened parts of the floor inside.

He hurried inside and laid Autumn down in the old, broken bed. The linens were dirty but they had to do. He then stepped outside and with a deep breath, sent out a long, loud howl into the early dawn. The cry was deep and eerily human but with a true lupine undertone to carry it over the treetops. He paused before sending out another one. When there was still no answer, he took another breath, and was immediately interrupted by a similar response far in the distance. A lot could be said in a simple howl, but not so much as could be exchanged in words. All he was able to convey was that he or someone else was injured and in need of help. He didn’t have to listen closely to what the response itself said only that there was help on the way and that it was less than an hour from his location. Satisfied though anxious, his heart still racing from the fight as well as his escape into the forest, there was little he could do until then. He took a few moments to slip back into his human skin as it would be easier to explain things once his ally arrived.

The blood drying on his skin was beginning to itch, but he was afraid he would miss something by going to the creek to wash it off. After cracking his neck and shoulders, which was something he nearly always had to do after a shift for whatever reason, he got dressed while watching her as she stirred in her sleep. She winced at the pain gnawing at her side. He checked her fever with a hand to her brow, and pulled the sheets tight around her small form while swearing under his breath. There was an old bear skin in a nearby trunk he had discovered only days earlier, and used that to keep her warm before starting a fire in the hearth. Lycanthropes run at a slightly higher degree than humans so a fever can be life threatening if it goes too high or lingers too long. It was difficult for him to assess exactly how severe her fever was just by touching her.

â€œYou had better be worth the trouble,” he said, scowling at her.
He sat on the edge of the bed and studied her face for a while. In the dim light she looked to be no more than a child, and he almost felt sorry for molesting her earlier. Before, as he had found her laid out, upon the rocks near the river with her bare flesh exposed to the air like some sacrificial offering, she had looked and smelled like a vulnerable, though tempting, young lady. She hadn’t appeared so immature at that point in time; her shape was well developed though petite due to her small frame and her skin, pale and unblemished. Hayden had found it almost too difficult to resist at least sampling its smoothness. He was almost always in the mood after a good shift which made it all the more challenging not to take advantage of her. Just a taste, he had told himself.
The situation had turned out to be serendipitous for him, however, as he took the opportunity also to ensure her sense of who was in charge. And there was no easier way than striking the fear of God into her where it counted, even though she had sunk her teeth into his shoulder and even while he had her pinned to the stones, she still showed defiance. The smell of her fear had been intoxicating, and her anger, provocative. Overall, he found her intriguing, if a little foolish. Strong women were about as rare as female werewolves. But, perhaps, it was only the petulance of youth and inexperience that drove her to indignation. She had even yet to be Broken and sometimes that can change a creature, especially females. The thought of Breaking her himself was stimulating to him. He had never Broken another werewolf before. If she did turn out to be an Alpha female then her qualities would be wasted in the Colony. But, he decided that it would be wiser to wait and see how things turned out before jumping to conclusions. Sometimes jumping to conclusions was good exercise, thought Hayden, but it would be better to be safe than sorry. He didn’t want to end up playing babysitter to an impertinent youth, which had been his very first impression of her when she had adamantly refused to call him by his first name. But he had to give her some credit; if all she had been was a spoiled brat with a smart mouth, she wouldn’t be clinging as dearly to life as she was just then. Greater warriors had fallen to less severe injuries.

He got up and paced around the room, arms crossed, for a while. He kept glancing back at her, hating her for being ill and injured, and completely unreceptive to him. He chewed the side of his mouth. He hadn’t been with a woman in weeks, it seemed. The smell of her sex beckoned to him but that of her wound and her fever repelled him. The fight with Asher had actually helped, and not just because of the wound to his groin, but mostly because it served to release some tension and distract him from his other, more primal needs.
Randomly, he decided that she needed water, or would need it in the near future, so the disgruntled young man pulled on his boots, grabbed a metal pan from the table and headed down to the creek. On his way back, he felt a presence approaching quickly from the north. The sun would be rising soon and the forest appeared a deep blue in the early morning light. Dark shadows still clung to most of the details of the trees and ground. However, he could make out a large animal moving through the underbrush. He could smell him clearly before he even emerged into the clearing near the shack.

An enormous, grey and black werewolf stepped out of the thicket on all fours, a large knapsack gripped in his teeth. He stood up on his hind legs and removed it from his mouth. He was at least twice Hayden’s size, although Hayden wasn’t a very tall man.

â€œThat was rather fast, Lazarus,” commented Hayden, blinking in surprise. “I hadn’t expected you for another hour or more.”

The werewolf showed his teeth in a friendly sort of way and cocked his ears.

â€œI’ll give you a moment to get changed,” he said, continuing towards the cabin, trying not to upset the water sloshing in the pan. “Your patient awaits.”

Hayden set the pan on the table and flopped down on the edge of her bed again to pull off his shoes.
“You had better be more careful than that, boy,” said Lazarus, upon entering the cabin. “Jumping around like that. You’re likely to jostle the evil spirits dwelling in her body.”

Lazarus was only his nickname and he was called so because he was so very old, even by the standards of the Benandanti. Although he didn’t look much older than sixty or so, his face was well-weathered and whenever he wasn’t smiling, which wasn’t often, the wrinkles made him appear serious and unhappy. The hardness of his grey eyes only augmented the impression. He had a full head of hair, even if was a little thin. At one time, his hair had been a vibrant brown-red. It was now faded with age, with white and grey now creeping into the edges. He was a giant of a man, standing well over six feet. He had to duck as he stepped into the room, and the floor boards complained loudly beneath him. The room seemed that much smaller with such a big man standing in it.

â€œIsn’t it a bit unsanitary to work on the infirm without clothes, Dr. Lazarus?” asked Hayden, raising his eyebrows. “You did bring some with you.”

â€œI didn’t realize nudity bothered you so much, Vance,” he replied, his voice deep and slow, with a soft, Danish accent.

â€œNormally it doesn’t,” he said, looking away. “But it doesn’t seem right somehow for you to be lurking over her with your prick hanging out. Have some manners, won’t you? There’s some clothes in the trunk in the corner, if you’ll be so kind.”

Lazarus only smiled and grunted as he stepped over to the trunk nearest the fireplace and helped himself to a few of Hayden’s old clothes which were more than just a little too small for him.

â€œSome of us have completely forgotten what it’s like,” he said, pulling on some pants, and not even bothering to button them, mostly because he couldn’t. “To be human that is. It’s both refreshing and disturbing to see someone like you still values modesty.”

â€œDon’t flatter yourself,” grinned Hayden, leaning back and holding his knee, his heel resting on the edge of the mattress. “Get to work, please. I don’t have all day. And neither does she.”

â€œFine, fine,” sighed Lazarus, approaching the bed side. “When you first made the call, I had thought it was you who needed help. But then on my way here, I could sense you had company. So, what seems to be the...Oh.”

He had laid his hands on her face, and knew almost instantly what the problem was. Hayden watched and fidgeted uncomfortably as he slowly peeled back the bear skin blanket and the sheets which were already beginning to grow damp with her sweat. His small, hard eyes widened at the sight of the deep, messy gash in her left side.

â€œWhat in God’s name happened to this child?” he whispered, and gently began testing the area around the wound. He ignored her whimpers as he tried to see how deep the wound went.

â€œThis happened,” said Hayden, producing the bloody rag. He unwrapped it and held it out for Lazarus to inspect. “Werewolf hunters. Her stupid git of a father hired them to watch over her.”

â€œYou’re kidding!” he scoffed, scooping the knife up, the cloth still beneath it, separating his hand from touching it directly, as he lifted it away from Hayden’s palm and closer to his face. Although werewolves aged much slower than humans, they were still not immune entirely to its effects. “These runes. They’re Nordic. This is a very old skinning knife.”

â€œThat would have been my guess,” replied Hayden, raising his eyebrows in interest. “I’m not entirely sure how a lot like them would have ended up with something like this, but I’d wager they stole it from someone. They didn’t exactly seem like very high-class hunters if you know what I mean. I don’t believe her father was a very good judge of character. It didn’t take much for me to earn his trust, that much is certain. Too easy, if you ask me.”

â€œWell, I’ll take a closer look at this later,” said Lazarus, slipping it back carefully into Hayden’s hands, as if it were a poisonous snake poised to bite. “Fetch my bag. I’ll have to sterilize and close the wound right away.”

â€œI thought you’d never ask,” said Hayden, lifting the heavy satchel onto the bed, as Lazarus got down on his knees, rolling back the sleeves of his shirt as far as they could go.

Hayden watched closely as Lazarus first doused his hands in alcohol and then using a clean rag, and the pan of water Hayden had collected earlier, gently began to clean the wound. The powerful, acidic scent made him cough and his eyes water. Autumn was very good not to cry out, otherwise Lazarus was just being very careful. As he began to wash the blood away, it became apparent the seriousness of the laceration. The cut was deep and encircled her left rib like a fish’s gill. The edges of it were jagged, dark, and puffy. It was an impressive battle wound, thought Hayden, and would most certainly leave a sexy scar.

â€œYou may have to hold her down for this next bit,” advised Lazarus, in a deep, serious tone, which sent a wave of dread through Hayden.    

As Autumn was laying on her right side, Hayden settled on the bed next to her, his back pressed into the wall, and gathered her wrists in one hand, with another on her knees.
Using a different rag, Lazarus doused it in alcohol and began to rub quickly around the wound. Autumn screamed and began to buck, but Hayden held her firmly to the mattress.

â€œDon’t you have anything to numb her with?” asked Hayden, cynically.

â€œWhat do I look like? A doctor?” he chuckled. “I’m afraid I don’t. We don’t normally keep such things on hand at the Colony. Don’t normally need it.”

â€œSo you’re going to have to sew it,” he asked, slowly. “Without any sort of anaesthesia?”

â€œI’m afraid so,” he said, continuing to wipe away at the cut. Autumn let out another pitiful cry.

â€œLovely,” grinned Hayden, clenching his teeth together as his grip tightened on her.

â€œThat’s funny. I wouldn’t have thought you cared so much, Vance,” Lazarus shook his head, smiling, as he set the rag aside and began to search through his pack for the needle and thread.

â€œOh, but I do! If she dies, I lose my money.”

â€œAh, I see,” he nodded, still smiling. He finally found what he was looking for. And after threading the needle, and using the same rag he had used to sanitize her wound, he meticulously rubbed the needle in it, dragging the rest of the thread through it as well. “Is that really all you care about, Vance? Money?”

â€œOf course not!” he grinned, more sincerely this time. “It’s the challenge that excites me, Laz. Money, I could care less about. Didn’t I tell you that I once sold a priceless artefact to a traveling merchant in the Egyptian desert? All for only some bread, water, and a camel to get me back to Al Kharijah. Supposedly, it was some sort of enchanted relic from some sort of pharaoh in the fifth century. Or some such nonsense.”

â€œHa, so it wasn’t the kind of enchantment that granted you three wishes, eh?” he laughed.
“Oh, but it was!”

â€œAlright, now,” Lazarus turned to Autumn, moaning in pain, the expression on his face suddenly growing grave. “Put this in her mouth.”

He handed Hayden a small stick. “Make sure she bites into it.”

He nodded and carefully worked the stick in sideways beneath her lips and finally her teeth.
“Hold her down,” he instructed.

â€œYes, yes,” muttered Hayden, replacing his hands on her wrists and knee.

Lazarus worked quickly, the tiny needle nearly lost in the fingers of his large hands. Even though he had sanitized them, they still looked rough and dirty, but they were dexterous and gentle as he drove the needle into the tender, inflamed flesh. Autumn shrieked and nearly tore her arms free from Hayden’s grasp as he wasn’t expecting her to react so strongly.

â€œI said ‘hold her down’!” growled Lazarus.

â€œI am! I am!” replied Hayden, quickly regaining control over her.

As he continued to work the needle in and out of her skin, she continued to wail and resist. Hayden finally had to sit on her legs and hold her arms off to the side. He winced as her small legs pressed into his own wound. When he was just about finished, there was a crack as she snapped the twig in two in her mouth. Lazarus quickly removed the pieces so she wouldn’t choke on them.

The big man worked in silence, save for Autumn’s screams, until the job was done. Finally, he bit the loose end of the thread and began placing his accoutrements back into his bag.

â€œCan I let her go now?” asked Hayden, growing impatient.

â€œNot yet. I have to dress it,” replied Lazarus, over his shoulder. A moment later he brought out a small leather bag of herbs and some bandages. “This shouldn’t hurt her, but she’ll still try to move. Keep holding her down.”

Hayden nodded, and his friend carefully pressed the herbs to her stitched wound, which grinned on her side like an awkwardly smiling mouth. The skin around the knotted thread made it look as though they were lips pressed together, stifling a laugh. She moaned but didn’t cry out. Soon Lazarus had her ribs carefully bandaged.

â€œYou’ll have to change these tomorrow morning. You can let go of her now,” he said. “I’m finished.”
Hayden slowly released her and dismounted her legs. His friend noticed that he wasn’t smiling as he gazed down at her.

â€œSomething wrong, Vance?” he asked, at length, wiping the blood from his hands with one of the rags as though he had just finished working on an engine.

“No,” he said, furrowing his eyebrows at him. “What makes you say that?”

â€œYou just seem so...serious, today,” he shrugged.

â€œI’m tired. I’ve had a long day,” he said, sitting back.

â€œYou’ll have plenty of time to rest then,” replied Lazarus, standing up.

â€œWhat do you mean?” Hayden’s eyes widened, a disbelieving smirk began to appear across his face. He didn’t like the tone in his friend’s voice.

â€œShe cannot be moved for at least three days,” he said, plainly. “She needs to rest, to heal. If she’ll heal at all.”

Hayden stood up, an unusual coldness to his eyes. He was on the verge of frowning. “What do you mean, ‘at all’? Of course, she’ll heal! It’s what we do!”

â€œYes, but that’s no ordinary wound, Vance,” Lazarus shook his head. “She cannot be moved for at least three days! Keep her warm and give her plenty of water. She probably won’t eat but you can try to feed her. I’ll leave some supplies for you. Also, try to keep her calm; don’t let her change for at least two days. The poison in the knife prevents the wound from healing normally. It could reopen if she changes, not that she should be strong enough to.”

â€œWhat do I look like, Laz? Her nanny? Do I look like her bloody nanny, Laz?” he said, staring his friend in the eye indignantly, and holding his arms out as if inviting him to inspect him closely. “I can’t take care of her. We’ll take her back to the Colony tonight.”

â€œDo it and she’ll die, Vance,” replied Lazarus, firmly. His cold, hard stone-coloured eyes bore into him. “Your contract will die with her, I can guarantee it. Michael won’t pay for a dead body. And I know how you feel about losing.”

â€œWhy can’t you take care of her? You have more experience than I do with this sort of thing after all.” Hayden hesitantly dropped his gaze from the more dominant wolf’s penetrating glare.

The big man shook his head. “This is your mess, Vance.”

â€œI’ll pay you!” he said, quickly. “I’ll pay you for your trouble. Any amount you desire! Just name it!”

Lazarus chuckled, still shaking his head. “Now really, Vance. What use would I have for money?” He stepped back towards the bed and gently covered Autumn, who was now shivering with fever. “There’s nothing that you have that I could possibly want, Coyote Boy. How’s that saying go? ‘It’s your bed, you should lie in it’? I said I would help you, not clean up after you.”

Hayden looked away, at the fire. His face, serious, his arms crossed over his chest.

â€œNow, now, that’s enough pouting. Besides,” Lazarus looked him up and down. “You smell terrible. You should rest. Get cleaned up. Who did you have to fight to win her anyway?” he gestured towards Autumn. “It’s not something that’s going to follow you, is it? I thought you were supposed to do this quietly. Why don’t you just ask them next time, instead of clubbing them over the head and carrying them over your shoulder? Things might go a bit more smoothly for you.”

Hayden smirked, his face remained turned towards the fire, but his eyes looked up at him craftily. “Well, it’s not like she could have said yes. She was being guarded day and night, and...well, it’s all very complicated, but don’t you worry your pretty, little head. It’s all taken care of, Laz. Tell Michael I’ll see him in three days.”
Lazarus shrugged and patted him on the shoulder with a large, heavy hand. “You never seem capable of doing anything the easy way. If she gets worse, give me a howl,” he said, as he ducked out the door. Hayden remained staring into the fire. “Oh,” he said, turning around just outside the threshold. “There’s something else.”
Hayden turned to face him at the seriousness in his voice.

â€œJust thought you should know to be on guard,” he said. “There’ve been sightings of Marked in the area.”

â€œWell that’s just lovely! Thank you for warning me,” Hayden exclaimed, sarcastically.

â€œTake care, Vance,” Lazarus disappeared from view.

Hayden turned back towards the fire, scowling at his ill luck. Three days couldn’t go by fast enough.

There was a moment of silence followed by that terrible crunching noise of a body twisting into another form, followed almost immediately by a loud, serious ripping of clothes.

â€œLaz! You blighter!” Hayden cried, and stormed outside to fetch his rags.

#6 2011-04-22 19:39:44

RedMoonstruck

So...anyone?

Hm, maybe this wasn't ready to be posted. :\

Board footer