The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-20 15:16:01

CassieRose
Website

Back and theriotype found (possibly) !

Hello again smile Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I've been really busy.
So I guess I'm not an otter or wolf. I'm actually leaning towards cheetah. I've always acted like a cheetah, even when I was little (along with other animals, but cheetah was definitely the most).
I knew I was a predator, and social. Which is why I started with wolf, but I started to realize that wolf just wasn't me. So I went with otter, another social predator. I thought it was the right animal, but I started to notice I was just trying to make it seem like that. I've considered  the way I act, which is definitely cheetah-like, and I've always acted like that. So, I'm going to say cheetah, for now...

How did you guys find your theriotype?
Is there a way to do it without meditation?

Thanks wink

#2 2011-06-20 19:48:50

lupinealchemist

Re: Back and theriotype found (possibly) !

For me, it was multiple dreams regarding the specific animal, which I found strange because back then I didn't care for wolves and was terrified of werewolf media. After some time, I developed an interest.

#3 2011-06-21 03:01:50

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

K, that's nice.

I originally started to realize that I was a dragon-therian in middle school, though I didn't know anything about it until later on in high school.  It sort of just came to me and developed itself in my thoughts, feelings, and actions.  Same with the raccoon: I just one day started to realize that I had these non-dragon traits which were popping up: similar but different.  It really just happened that I sensed the animals within me, and thought about them and searched about until I found one which clicked.

Keep searching until you find the one(s) that click with you.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#4 2011-06-21 04:48:59

ShadowTrail

Sherlawk > it would be nice if you share a story about your lost theriotype, i always wanted to hear that

About my theriotype: well its sad story, but im still undecided about my exact theriotype. I go for panther most the time cos its as close as possible.
(im some sort of big cat, loner type and live in dense jungle. Also im sure that 1 armed human was a threat for me).
Years ago i belive that this was jaguar, but later i realized its a kind of uber-wolf type of thing. This cats are to big and fierce to fit with my dream shifts.

At this moment i stuck between classic leopard and mountain lion (btw did you know that  cougars lives in half of South America and also have melanistic version?). But this cats are still bit to large so im curently researching other options > mostly clouded leopard. Meybe my theriotype is just quite small panther ^^

Also my thoughts about meditation. While this is VERY popular metod, i dont like it, and dont recomend it. I have got  basic training in visualisation techiniq years before i awaken as therian, and if i use classic metod, then i see nothing. If my hart desire to see pink dragon , then this creatures appear > and i belive that meditation works this way for everyone else. So you dont see your true nature, you see creature you WANT to be

So i sugest research on every possible matching species (to any shifts you have) > for example there are 2 kinds of cheetahs, second is king cheetah.
Also cheetah are not very social, you are vrong. They only make packs with their parents/siblings , and this is quite small rarely larger then 3-4 cats

Only truly social cats species are lions i belive
You can also resarch Hyena species. They are closer related to cats then anything else (still Hyaenidae is diffrent family) and very social

#5 2011-06-21 19:22:45

CassieRose
Website

The only thing I know is I'm a runner, I like to be up high and see everything (incase you didn't know, cheetahs do climb, they just have issues getting down). I'm a carnivore and when I hunt I stalk until I'm close enough to run it down.

So I'm trying to find something along those lines. My gut still says cheetah though.

#6 2011-06-22 04:23:12

Moonlit Hunter

I feel like I have seen a lot of posts from people either stressing over or otherwise trying to "discover" what their theriotype is. I've seen others making efforts to go into great detail about subspecies/coat patterns/varieties/ect.

I didn't know what therianthropy was when I accepted the fact that I was "wolf-like," enough to call myself a werewolf to myself. I didn't use that word out loud, because like any reasonable person I knew that werewolves are pretend. It was just a label that gave me comfort in my efforts to understand myself and why I do things the way I do, why I react to things the way I do, and who I am as a person. After a while, I thought, "Hey, there have got to be other people out there like me - I highly doubt I am the only person who has these qualities." So I started searching the internet, and that is how I found therianthropy. A lot of what I have read from others really clicks with me. Some of the stuff doesn't and seems a bit like wish-fulfillment to me.

So - I knew my "theriotype" before I had heard the word "theriotype."  I haven't ever even considered another animal, because it just never seemed relevant to me. I felt comfortable as a wolf before the current wolf fad happened (in media, not necessarily in the therian community - I didn't know the therian community existed until after the wolf fad got started). I don't wake up in the morning and wonder if maybe I might really be blond. Nor do I have periods of confusion about whether or not my parents are really my parents. I also don't randomly question whether or not I am really white (at least mostly). These are things about myself that I know without having to question them. They are parts of my identity. Being wolf-like is the same for me.

And as far as that goes - I have never tried to discern or discover my "sub-species," because that doesn't seem relevant to me. Wolf is good enough, and there is little enough difference in behavior between a Mexican Gray wolf from Arizona and a Tundra wolf from Sweden that distinguishing exactly which I identify as would do me no practical good at all. The biggest difference among all the subspecies of wolf is that they live in different climates - which to me is not relevant because I live in the climate that I do, regardless of what a subspecies would be native to. I have to adapt and thrive where I am, as any wolf would (and, for that matter, as most humans do).

#7 2011-06-22 12:01:51

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Honestly - and this is going to sound nuts, but - my theriotype has changed. Not because I was wrong the first time, but because I have changed over the past few weeks. I have had a massive stressor in my life which has led me to realise that I needed to make massive changes to myself, to become more independent and more self-sufficient emotionally, and as a result I can no longer say that I feel with certainty that my theriotype is a wolf.

I used to emotionally rely on people in the manner of a wolf in a pack, but that led me down the path of stress, depression, unfulfilment and ultimately, loss. I realised I couldn't hack it anymore and had to look after myself and my needs better, and now I just can't identify with the wolf the way I used to. I have slowly worked on myself, meditated, and changed my outlook, and now feel more independent. I identify more with a big cat now than a wolf, in terms of inner strength and self-sufficiency.

...I never thought my theriotype would change, but I think this is who I really am. When I felt like a wolf, I was scared and dependent on others. Now I feel alone, and stronger, and better able to cope. Without my fears and dependency I can't identify with the wolf any longer.

SHOCKER! big_smile

Edit: By the way, OP, don't knock meditation until you've tried it. It can bring your true self out in ways that other therapies simply can't.

Last edited by ShadyHowl (2011-06-22 12:03:51)

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#8 2011-06-23 19:21:12

CassieRose
Website

I had a similar experience to you, Shady.

#9 2011-06-25 00:26:56

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

ShadowTrail wrote:

Sherlawk > it would be nice if you share a story about your lost theriotype, i always wanted to hear that

"Lost Theriotype"?  Not sure what you mean... please elaborate?

I'm not sure it's possible to "lose" a theriotype, even though one may fade to the background.  It just seems like something that would always be with you...

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#10 2011-06-25 19:47:02

ShadowTrail

SherlawkDragon wrote:

ShadowTrail wrote:

"Lost Theriotype"?  Not sure what you mean... please elaborate?

I'm not sure it's possible to "lose" a theriotype, even though one may fade to the background.  It just seems like something that would always be with you...

SherlawkDragon on Theriantrophy Tree Sept 8, 2007  wrote:

Hello, I'm a Polywere (Dragon, Horse, Raccoon)

So it looks you lost one of your therioside isn't it?

But still im with you at this one. Sorry ShadyHowl but theriosides just DONT work that way. You cant change your "previous life" or your "personality archetype" just because you want to change it. . And im sure as hell that theriosides are not animals that you identify with (maybe thats totems or something diffrent, im not sure. Its way too compicated for forum like Were Cafe, with borderline theriantrophy section and abundance of trolls)

You are a clear example why meditation is very bad method of soulsearching. Not to mention that conecting meditation with soulsearching is only a new age crap. Im VERY skilled at meditation and its just a way, to clear  mind of unwanted thoughts and relaxing. Or visualize something. Not some magic mumbo-jumbo way to contact astral plane.

#11 2011-06-26 02:19:34

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

ShadowTrail wrote:

SherlawkDragon on Theriantrophy Tree Sept 8, 2007  wrote:

Hello, I'm a Polywere (Dragon, Horse, Raccoon)

So it looks you lost one of your therioside isn't it?

Oh THAT.  Yeah, I later decided the Horse was a totem (and a PONY-TASTIC one at that), because of the way I felt about it and interacted with it.

WOW though, Therianthropy Tree's been dead for YEARS.  Even Therian Forest, the site I migrated it to when Thylae disappeared, is dead.  I forgot that you were even there...

Also, I'd defend ShadyHowl here, but it's fun to watch her get ridiculed...  So I won't!

#12 2011-06-27 16:59:06

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

AND THEN THE THREAD WAS DERAILED

http://s4.postimage.org/yc4r7no8f/Mods_Are_Asleep_Post_Ponies_6433.jpg

#13 2011-06-27 21:10:27

Randomwolf42
Random Wolf [Moderator]
Website

Mods are awake, Topic Please!

#14 2011-07-06 20:35:33

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Shadow - I didn't want to change it. It happened when I changed in myself because I went through a load of crap. Maybe I'll start feeling it again, I don't know.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

Board footer