The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#51 2011-03-19 06:40:27

Moonlit Hunter

Re: "Red Riding Hood" 2011 (formerly "The Girl with the Red Riding Hood")

SPOILERS AS I REPLY TO THE SUPER LONG POST

Cesaire murdered his mother. When Cesaire lured Lucy. Had she understood him and had she accepted his gift. He would have turned her into a wolf and left. As the eldest, she would get first dibs. Had she rejected his claim he would have pleaded with Valerie. Nothing is ever explained in the book nor in the movie as to what happened to his dad...

Um... what I got was the he was going to turn Lucy first, not that he would only turn one of them. He would turn Lucy, then turn Valerie, and then leave with the both of them.

Now for my review of the film...

I think Red Riding Hood would have been a better movie had the writers/producers decided to actually give the movie a first Act. You sort of start the movie, in the middle of things, of which is sort of strange, especially as the novelization of the script, starts the movie off with the town being attacked by the Wolf, and Valerie (as a child) meeting it for the first time, and oddly enough, not showing fear. The book then sets up the main characters, their views, and the major plot points of the story. Had the writing been better, it would have been actually decent. The movie on the other hand, begins in a very odd way, and in fact you don't even hear the lead character's name until almost 20 minutes of the film. In short it is a bit jarring. Once you get past the first 30 or 40 minutes though, the last half of the movie opens up, and the story actually kicks off. The ending is a bit abrupt, but is okay...

Yeah.. actually, my biggest gripe with the movie was how abruptly it started and then ended. They really could have tried to ease you into the story a bit more masterfully.

I have to be honest though, as a screenwriter, and part time screenplay consultant, they really needed to work on their script, story development, and over all plot holes. This film is full of them, to an almost ludicris degree.

From the get go, the state that their Wolf is a werewolf. It is terrorizing their town, and yet it hasn't killed ANYBODY for over 20 years. They placate the wolf with little animal sacrifices that apparently feed it. The logic issues here are astounding. What makes them think it is a werewolf? If it is a werewolf why haven't they considered that one of them might be the werewolf? Why doesn't anybody in the town have silver weapons. If Holy Relics (as they do in the film) can hurt the wolf, and they know it, why don't they place them all around the town?
Why did they wait for 20 years to decide to try and hunt the beast....? See what I mean... the whole first part of the movie is a mess of illogical behavior.

Okay, while I agree that the movie has problems with the plot, the things you mention are not some of them.

In the later part of the movie, Valerie talks about how her grandmother told her the wolf used to kill entire families. So there was an era during which the fear of the wolf was instilled into the villagers, and at some point they managed to come to a "truce" with the wolf. They did not tell us the details about how they worked out this truce, but the end result was that they began leaving out animal sacrifices for it. In return, it no longer slaughtered the villagers.

Why do they wait twenty years to hunt the wolf? Why should they risk their lives by trying to hunt it down when they have a perfectly serviceable agreement with it already - leave it animals, and it leaves them alone. When it killed Lucy, it broke that agreement. They were angry. They had no reason to hunt it as long as it left  humans alone, but the moment it killed a human they wanted to go after it. Twenty years is a long time, so a lot of them probably had forgotten or never experienced whatever horrors the villagers went through back then.

How did they know it was a werewolf? They had been living with it for two generations. At some point, SOMEONE must have seen it. Anyone who looks at that beast couldn't possibly mistake it for a regular wolf. I find it far more strange that they could have mistaken a gray wolf for it when they killed the gray wolf than for them to know it was a werewolf in the first place. This thing has a long history with the village. It didn't just pop out of nowhere, even though the movie starts out of nowhere.

Firstly it wasn't uncommon for wolves to predate close to villages. In fact many villagers would sacrifice weak and or dying members of their flocks to feed the wolves and thus placate them and keep them from hunting the good stuff. There is even a tale about a priest who made a pact with a wolf, in such a manner. A Wolf killing small game (not humans) wouldn't be terrifying at all. In fact by feeding the Wolf and keeping it around, the town was actually being protected by other predators, such as bears...

You are thinking of Saint Francis, and that is not how the story goes.

And you forget - the wolf WAS terrorizing the humans and preying on them. They began the animal sacrifices as part of the truce. I am sure they were all too aware that the wolf COULD go back to killing humans any time they wanted.  Also, they did not view the wolf as a natural animal. They viewed it as a supernatural creature that was in league with the Devil. During this era, anything that was in league with the Devil was automatically scary because, as the Bible says (to paraphrase), "Fear what can harm your soul, not what can harm your body."

So they have a Wolf that hasn't killed anybody. It kills small game that THEY give it, and it ONLY kills those animals... Mmmm I'd rather love to have a wolf like that.

No, as I have pointed out, this wolf worked very hard to make the villagers afraid of him. He killed entire families. And, as we find out in the end, the only reason he accepted the truce of animal sacrifices was because he was biding his time until he could take his girls away.

But you see the village already knows that it is a WEREWOLF. Red Riding Hood doesn't even dare to explain as to how they came about this knowledge. While it wasn't uncommon for supposed rumors of Lupe Garou (The Beast of le Gevoudan) to abound when dealing with a tenancious killing machine, they usually surmize this because of the methodological killing of innocent people... not animals. The reality is, a regular wolf is just as capable of coming back and helping itself to a free meal as a werewolf.

Yeah, but, see... they had gone through this process. They went through this process of discovering what it was and living in terror as it slaughtered innocent people over twenty years prior to the start of the movie. The animals were a truce - which, we are led to believe at the end, the wolf only accepted so that he could keep his head down and bide his time while his children grew up.

As I mentioned earlier if they knew it was a werewolf, why hadn't they created silver weapons, and realized that its human counterpart was living amongst them. I understand that these people weren't private investigators, but as supersticious as they were back then, they would have suspected each other from all along.

Well, we really don't know what they had tried back in the day before the movie started. But it seemed like, at the time it opened, they were satisfied with the truce they had. So why bother going to all the extra effort when they can just throw out a pig and count their blessings?

Also, they did have silver weapons. Why didn't they realize it was living with them? Maybe they were stupid. They thought it lived in that cave. It must have done something at some point to make them think that. We don't see that part, though. Because the movie started too abruptly and didn't give us our background info.

The problem with them already knowing it is a werewolf, leads to another issue, "Father Solomon". His whole role is rather pointless. He doesn't bring them any new information and he is rather horrible at killing the beast. He states the obvious, or what should have been the obvious. His whole purpose is simply to add filler, and he even devolves into a villian role.

Father Solomon's role in the movie was basically just to educate and inform the audience about the nature of werewolves for that world. Also to be an extra villian.

Once you get past all of this though, the story finally unfolds. The Wolf is stylized but very well done. I agree with WereWolfH, it would have been nice if they had different colors besides black, but I think they did it for the visual style. Black against Red carries strong sexual undertones. I like the idea that the Wolf, while making bad mistakes, wasn't itself evil. He was wronged and wanted revenge. He did some bad things in the end, and even regretted it. It was really odd to see how Valerie would immediately turn against him though. Her father was deeply flawed and in my opinion began to act like a beast that was trapped, as in many ways he was trapped in a horrible life. Married to a wife who didn't love him. Made fun of and cruely treated by his neighbores. Living in poverty, when he could do so much more... all because he couldn't bear to be away from the girls he loved. I don't like how they sort of through it all out the window.

Well yes, I liked the fact that the wolf was not some mindless killing machine. He was a very human person who used his ability to lash out at the people who had hurt him. Were I in Valerie's place, I almost certainly would have taken the road of compassion and forgiveness - because that is the type of person I am.

But look at it from Valerie's perspective. He was her father. He was supposed to love and protect her, but instead he was personally responsible for turning her entire world upside down and terrorizing her friends. More to the point, he murdered her innocent sister for something their mother had done; and he murdered his own innocent mother for nothing more than that she found out who he was. He didn't even stop to think that, being her son, she might have helped him keep his secret. So he killed two utterly innocent parties - people who were both incredibly close to Valerie and who he had a personal responsibility to protect. It is not surprising that she couldn't get past that, even knowing her father's side of it all.

And as far as that goes - he really had no excuse for killing Lucy and his mother. No matter how badly used he was, neither of them was even remotely to blame for it. I can understand mauling his wife and killing her lover. Killing the child that he raised as his own and loved, and killing his mother - no excuse.

Of course the story ends with Peter becoming a Wolf. I saw that one coming... A. His name is Peter, and B. he's rebellious, stand offish, and for heavens sake he already looks like a wolf and acts like one. As the name Peter is connected to both the Russian folk tale, Peter and the Wolf and a true werewolf story (Peter Stubbe)... It wasn't a hard guess. Of course we KNOW that Peter is going to be a good wolf... tongue

So in the end... I give it 2.5 Paws out of 5...

Bleh, I thought Peter was so incredibly overrated.

I did appreciate the fact that both young men were honorable and upstanding. I hate it when there are these, "Ooooh, do I pick the bad boy or the good boy?" conflicts. They are cliche and overdone.

I'm really not sure how I feel about the ending. I like how Henry ended up.

I think the biggest problem with the movie was that they worked so incredibly hard at trying to convince us that it was one of the two boys that it is obvious that it couldn't possibly be.

Also, what the hell was up with the creepy grandmas? They made Valerie's grandma out to be super duper creepy. And Henry's grandmother, though she has few speaking parts, is also ridiculously creepy.  Evil old biddies.

#52 2011-03-19 19:02:14

WereWolfH

I liked the intro being fast. I don't know if I would've liked seeing an old village, I liked they  got into the story. WAIT A SECOND, HOW COME NO ONE KNEW THAT FRIGGIN SISTER WENT MISSING?

The Grandmother was creepy. (Did anyone else jump or scream when she came with that big black fur for the mom? I thought it could be her, but I knew it was the dad when they said it was someone you wouldn't expect. (The town drunk? Wait how come the momma had to marry him again vs. the rich dude?)

oH AND did anyone spot a picture of the wolf, now that the movie's out?

Last edited by WereWolfH (2011-03-19 19:04:17)

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#53 2011-03-19 22:00:15

WolfMontana

Finally saw it. Silly silly movie, but HOLY CRIPES THAT WEREWOLF WAS AWESOME!! big_smile Wow! Surpasses the van helsing werewolf, and is kinda neck and neck with Tooth & Claw werewolf. I was seriously, seriously impressed. Beautiful, fluid movement, powerful, ferocious. Close ups were a bit 'particle hair system'y, but otherwise - amazing big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#54 2011-03-21 20:47:40

WereWolfH

WolfMontana wrote:

Finally saw it. Silly silly movie, but HOLY CRIPES THAT WEREWOLF WAS AWESOME!! big_smile Wow! Surpasses the van helsing werewolf, and is kinda neck and neck with Tooth & Claw werewolf. I was seriously, seriously impressed. Beautiful, fluid movement, powerful, ferocious. Close ups were a bit 'particle hair system'y, but otherwise - amazing big_smile

wHICH werewolf in Vanhelsing. The first one was still scary. I didn't care for the ears being gelled towards each other.

Toothe nd Claw? Never heard of it.

Closeupse werew a bit .... particle hair system? I don't remember, it looked fine to me.

Honestly I really didn't see how they were going to make a "cognitive" werewolf on all fours and they did a fantastic job. (Well, Twilight's wolves were cool too)

#55 2011-03-22 10:01:21

BrayRoadBeast

See, I didn't really want to see this, but now I want to see it, if nothing else because of the werewolf design....

And yes, the 1st Van Helsing werewolf at the beginning was actually menacing, especially the first shot of it close-up in the bushes........the second, meh.  (Didn't like the pointy ears too much......the 3rd, huge black Hugh Jackman one was ok.) 

And if you guys were talking about the Tooth & Claw episode of Doctor Who werewolf, VERY cool werewolf indeed!

Just plllllllease tell me that the Red Riding Hood werewolf didn't throw on a bonnet and nighty at the end when the final reveal was made.........

#56 2011-03-22 23:05:42

WolfMontana

Heh, no. Though there is a tie in to grandma at the end wink You really should see it, if only to see the beastie on the big screen. However, if watching Twilight made you physically ill, ya might want to skip it and wait for dvd wink

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#57 2011-03-23 15:02:56

BrayRoadBeast

WolfMontana wrote:

Heh, no. Though there is a tie in to grandma at the end wink You really should see it, if only to see the beastie on the big screen. However, if watching Twilight made you physically ill, ya might want to skip it and wait for dvd wink

Well, not TOO physically ill....... wink  And I think I will risk it anyway to see the beastie........are you kidding?  I've been waiting for them to try and flesh something like this out since I used to watch Fairy Tale Theatre's version of Little Red Riding Hood with Malcolm McDowell.........

#58 2011-03-28 18:24:43

WereWolfH

BrayRoadBeast wrote:

WolfMontana wrote:

Well, not TOO physically ill....... wink  And I think I will risk it anyway to see the beastie........are you kidding?  I've been waiting for them to try and flesh something like this out since I used to watch Fairy Tale Theatre's version of Little Red Riding Hood with Malcolm McDowell.........

Did ya' catch this flick yet? You should see it just to see the werewolf.

Well it's official this movie's made it's money back. Cost 40 million and it's at about 43, I think it'll make 50 million.

#59 2011-04-09 00:13:56

Fenris Lupa
Dog Soldier

I went and saw it the weekend it came out...and to my surprise, I liked it...I really did...

And I really like the fact that they did their research about wolf lore.  Like the story Gary Oldmen told about cutting the paw off the wolf, and come to find out when he got home, his wife is missing a hand. 

That story is one of the oldest told.  I was really excited about that...and that the only human trait that will remain is the eyes...that also has been told is lore of how to tell a real werewolf.

And the sound track is amazing...I love Fever Ray and was excited to see she worked on the sound track plus did 2songs of her own.

Never do anything as a wolf you wouldn't do as a man...if you have a good heart....you'll be a good dog....

#60 2011-05-07 11:21:10

WereWolfH

Is this gonna be the top werewolf movie (as far as sales) of the year?

#61 2011-05-10 08:55:07

The Busboy
Administrator

This movie will be out on DVD on June 14:
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Riding-Hood-A … amp;sr=1-1

#62 2011-07-05 13:39:19

The Busboy
Administrator

#63 2011-07-05 17:19:28

KidWerewolf36

The Busboy wrote:

This movie is out on DVD:
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Riding-Hood-A … amp;sr=1-1

Busboy or anybody
Do you know if they're going to release a 2 disc version? I see it on Blueray with 2 discs, but the regular version...

#64 2011-07-06 09:30:10

The Busboy
Administrator

#65 2011-07-09 23:30:35

KidWerewolf36

yeah, I don't have Blue-ray Busboy and I think your link was the same???

I meant the regular dvd 2 disc, was there gonna be one?

thanks

Board footer